Tell me about using a CPM where it's not 'legal' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am considering doing this - there are no close CNMs in my area who do homebirths. There is only 1 CPM who has a fabulous reputation & has been doing this for over 20 years, & I am excited to meet her and talk to her.

I am in Maryland & Im wondering what it's like- problems, rules, laws - the transfer to the hospital situation (god forbid), insurance, getting the birth certificate, etc, How does this all work since its not really allowed??

Also - should I not be telling people that we are planning a homebirth if technically my MW could get in trouble?

I am so new to this & in the information gathering stage, but would really like it to happen. Thank you for any light you can shed for me!

Mama to Jocelyn 3/04-5/04, Lucy 3/05, Nate 1/07, Tessa 5/09 , due 12/2011!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM

I would cross post this in FYT and see if you get more Maryland specific information.

I had a DEM and a CPM for my second and they were both not-exactly-legal, I did tell people I was having a midwife but didn't offer any other information. As for Birth Certificate, the midwives should have what you need to fill out.

Hospital transfer-I didn't bother with a plan since I would get whomever was on call whether I was a transfer or a planned hospital birth. Insurance-depends entirely on your individual policy. I had a policy that vaguely covered midwives and they covered mine even though she was not a CNM. I didn't call and pre-approve, I just sent a bill with a note to 'please cover my out-of-network midwife as in network, as they didn't have any in network midwives within a 20 minute drive from my home.

Mine covered and a check for the full amount was reimbursed to me 2/3 weeks later.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#3 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm in Ky where CPMs are not legal and am hiring one. I'm telling people about the homebirth but not mentioning the MW by name. If we had to transfer, she would come with us and we'd call her my doula. She used to go ahead and say she's the midwife and here's the client's history, hand over papers. Now she feels she ought to be more careful. I'm not applying for insurance coverage. She has copies of the birth registration paperwork, we'd need to go down to the health dept to file it ourselves in the first week, I think fill it out as if it were unattended.
#4 of 8 Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM

We had a CPM for our birth. She was partnered with a CM (who is legal in NY), that didn't make it for the birth. Our insurance covered it since we also worked with the CM, but if we had only used the CPM we would've had to pay out of pocket, but a much lower rate than what the CM charges the ins. co.
If we had transferred she would have said she was my doula. And I talked to her about how secretive I had to be about her, something I suggest you talk to your CPM about. She said she didn't mind me telling other moms investigating HB, but not to just go telling everyone on earth her name.
If it means anything to you at all, next time (God willing) I think we will just be working with the CPM since she was so wonderful and the CM lives to far to realistically make it anyways.

Mom to DD 7, DS 6, DD 4.5, DD 2.5, DS 1.5 and expecting DD4 anyday now. Planning my second : and ready for fun!
#5 of 8 Old 10-29-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama View Post
I didn't call and pre-approve, I just sent a bill with a note to 'please cover my out-of-network midwife as in network, as they didn't have any in network midwives within a 20 minute drive from my home.

Mine covered and a check for the full amount was reimbursed to me 2/3 weeks later.
This rocks! I may try that instead of asking "permission" beforehand. We would just have to not count on a refund. There are no midwifes listed in my ins. co's online docfinder, within the max amount of miles (I think 100).

DS - 5! - adopted at birth after infertility, IUI, and IVF; DD - 4! - surprise pregnancy discovered when DS was 8 months old ; Hoping for another soon (actively TTC ~ 2 years)
#6 of 8 Old 10-29-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the responses - i am going to go with the CPM & am very exited about it:

Mama to Jocelyn 3/04-5/04, Lucy 3/05, Nate 1/07, Tessa 5/09 , due 12/2011!!!

#7 of 8 Old 10-30-2008, 12:10 AM

It's not legal where I live either. However, I did have an OB who was willing to be my back up if a hospital transfer was necessary. I heard through the grapevine that he was cool with homebirth, so it worked out well. If I did have to transfer, my midwife would have acted as my doula and my OB would have taken over (luckily, that didn't happen). It was important for me to have an OB backup because I didn't want be transferred to the hospital and have to deal with whoever was on call and be all secretive about the whole thing.

As for the birth certificate, we listed my husband as the birth attendant since he cut the cord.

Oh, and by the way, my insurance covered a large portion of it. We had to pay our deductible because the mw was out of network and after that I think our insurance covered 80%. Not too bad.
#8 of 8 Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am also in a state where CPM's are not legal.

My situation is a little different as the MW I found works out of a home about a 30 min. drive from where I live, just over the border where it IS legal. (Our state prosecutes CPM's so she does absolutely NOTHING here.)

So I will be going there when the time comes. I have settled for at least out of hospital, if not AT MY HOME.

She also will NOT come in the event of a transfer.
I do have a backup arrangement with a CNM and hospital.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page