What's the latest you can switch doctors? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be moving states when I am about 34 weeks pregnant and I am terrified of trying to find a new doctor - much less one who will let me VBAC! I was wondering if anyone else had switched doctors that late in pregnancy and how everything worked out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 PM

The dr I go to will take transfers even up until the time of labor. I heard of one woman who had an appt with him on a Monday to switch to him for a vba2c but, unfortunately, went into labor on Sunday and ended up with a third c-section with her current dr. I would think that since you are moving, that would make it easier (not that it's easy, but the dr may think you'd have a "good reason") to find a new dr than if you were already in town and wanted to switch. I'd do some asking around in the new town to get some names and give the offices a call.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#3 of 12 Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 AM

You can switch drs any time until the baby's head is out. I know of a woman who switched while she was in labour.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#4 of 12 Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! That's very reassuring
#5 of 12 Old 11-26-2008, 04:27 PM

I ended up switching the last week of pg w/ DS. My sOB went out of town and I really like the doc who took over. I stayed w/ him from then on.
#6 of 12 Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM

I had to switch midwives at about 32 weeks with my last pregnancy because my husband switched jobs and his insurance changed and my old practice and hospital were no longer "in network." I just called the new office and explained the situation and they were fine with it. it should be fine unless they are not accepting new patients. I would not wait until you get there but call around at where you're going to be living now and find someone and try to make an appointment as soon as you get into your new place. Good luck!
#7 of 12 Old 11-27-2008, 11:22 AM

Well, I was 6 months along when I walked out of the "pro-VBAC" OB's office and never came back. She was talking induction, and her face froze when I told her that I would not submit myself to induction, especially on a VBAC, except in circumstances so dire as to make repeat section likely, and then I might consider it dire enough to just accept another section, but I was not being induced short of a *really* dire scenario. She expected me to just go along with whatever she said I guess, and it surprised her when I told her my terms, and let her take it or leave it. But when I saw her face freeze like that, and knew I was in the "bad patient penalty box" for asserting my right to my own decisions, I knew there was no way things were going to go well.
I couldn't shake the bad feeling, so I decided I would homebirth with or without an attendant, and suddenly felt much better. So I hired a homebirth midwife who had numerous VBACs under her belt over the years, and she said they were no different from any other vaginal birth so long as the labor wasn't messed with... so there we went.
www.ican-online.org has resources to help you find which hospitals, etc women have had good or bad VBAC experiences at, and how hard it is to have a successful VBAC in a hospital depends on where you live too, sadly.
Most agree that the best chance for successful VBAC is HBAC, but if you can't consider that, at least you can find out through ICAN where the best VBAC places are near you. Good luck!

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#8 of 12 Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Well, I was 6 months along when I walked out of the "pro-VBAC" OB's office and never came back. She was talking induction, and her face froze when I told her that I would not submit myself to induction, especially on a VBAC, except in circumstances so dire as to make repeat section likely, and then I might consider it dire enough to just accept another section, but I was not being induced short of a *really* dire scenario. She expected me to just go along with whatever she said I guess, and it surprised her when I told her my terms, and let her take it or leave it. But when I saw her face freeze like that, and knew I was in the "bad patient penalty box" for asserting my right to my own decisions, I knew there was no way things were going to go well.
I couldn't shake the bad feeling, so I decided I would homebirth with or without an attendant, and suddenly felt much better. So I hired a homebirth midwife who had numerous VBACs under her belt over the years, and she said they were no different from any other vaginal birth so long as the labor wasn't messed with... so there we went.
www.ican-online.org has resources to help you find which hospitals, etc women have had good or bad VBAC experiences at, and how hard it is to have a successful VBAC in a hospital depends on where you live too, sadly.
Most agree that the best chance for successful VBAC is HBAC, but if you can't consider that, at least you can find out through ICAN where the best VBAC places are near you. Good luck!

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#9 of 12 Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's up to the doctor...I switched at 30 weeks, but that was locally. Some doctors won't take anyone late in the game.

Years ago, when I was researching my first vbac, I found a website by a malpractice lawyer. It was a "primer" on how not to get sued. I wish I would have bookmarked it, but didn't. Anyways, this attorney instructed doctors NOT tot take anyone late in the game bc there was a higher rate of being sued. The atty attributed it to a weaker patient relationship....if there were more visits, higher likelihood that the patient trusted and liked the dr, so less apt to sue if something went wrong.

If I were moving at 34 weeks, I would start researching a cp asap and talk to offices now. When I was interviewing docs for my vbac, I sent copies of my records to potential docs (there are no mw w/ hospital privileges in my area) and then talked to the nurses. I didn't want to haul my dd and myself and dh in if the doc was going to read my records and say, "Oh no, I won't support you in a vbac." Better to hear that over the phone.

If you contact your local ICAN chapter or go to the ICAN forums, you may be able to find a cp that is recommended by someone.

Good luck!!
#10 of 12 Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe try posting for VBAC friendly OBs in your tribal area? I second the idea of starting to call NOW as opposed to waiting till you move.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#11 of 12 Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 PM

My SIL switched to a VBA2C friendly OB at 35 weeks along. She had her successful VBAC too. :
#12 of 12 Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 AM

I switched from an OB to a midwife at 36 weeks, and they were in the same town. After she read the birth story from my first birth I think the midwife completely understood.

Jakob 10/12/2005...He thinks he's
Mollie 12/8/2008....Pure sweetness

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page