Why is/was VBAC important to you? **UPDATE VBAC Ban** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious what motivates us towards having VBAC's. For me, I really wanted the opportunity to experience birth, AND, I was tired of someone acting like they could birth my baby better than I could.

Why is/was VBAC important to you?

******UPDATE******
They have banned VBAC's at both of our local hospitals. Women will now have to travel 1-1.5 hours, to city hospitals that frequently do not have space for birthing women.

I feel that I need to do or say something, I just need to take some time to figure out what that is.

Has anyone fought a VBAC ban in Canada? Not sure where to begin...
#2 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM

For me I did not know what a VBAC was. I just assumed everyone had a vaginal birth after a cesarean. I knew nothing of the risks until I got pg with DS. Then I found out all about vbac and found ICAN. For me I had a horrible c section recovery and did not want to go through that pain again. I also wanted to experience birth.

Now it is important to me because doctors and hospitals and insurance companies are taking away women's rights to choose their own medical care. Who are they to ban VBAC. Makes me angry!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#3 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM

It was important for me because I just knew my body could give birth, I wanted that experience, and I wanted to prove that I wasn't broken. I was angry about my first c/s and I knew that if I could prove that I could give birth naturally that it would help me get over that anger, and it did.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#4 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 12:03 PM

It was important for 1) my c/s sucked and I told DH we weren't having anymore kids even before they took me back! and 2) once I realized how much better it is for mom and baby, it sealed the deal. This will hopefully be VBAC #3 for me.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#5 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 12:17 PM

I'm with kitkat. My c-section was truly because I was uninformed and agreed to a 41 week arbitrary induction. I'd never heard of a bishop score. I had no idea how much greater my risk of c-section was. In fact, it never occured to me that I couldn't vaginally deliver my baby even with the induction. Then my ob was annoyed because I refused to get an IUD and blew off all my post partum symptoms. I ended up having placenta pieces left in my for 10 weeks before they finally passed on their own. I had low milk supply and heavy bleeding that whole time. After things finally cleared up, I started looking into what happened to me and why. I got really really really angry at what was done to me in the name of "medicine." No one is EVER doing that to me again. If I have another c-section, it will be because it is unavoidable and I will know I did everything I could to prevent it.

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
#6 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 03:37 PM

I want a VBAC b/c women are designed/adapted to give birth vaginally. I'm grateful that c/s exists when it's needed, but it's vastly overused. My first c/s was likely unnecessary. My DD was breech and I didn't know about chiros or the Webster. My sOB told me my baby could die if I delievered breech so I had a scheduled c/s (not realizing it would have been better to go into labor or that baby could have turned anytime up until then). My second c/s was likely necessary b/c DS had his cord wrapped tightly around his chest. I labored for around 13 hours, but didn't make it past transition and I felt him pull up sharply after beginning to descend. My sOB made my whole pg miserable though by trying to force me to have an elective repeat c/s. Maybe things would have been different if I'd had a supportive and empowering attendant. I don't know.

I want a VBAC b/c I believe in birth and a woman's body! We are not inherantly defective. A c/s is MAJOR surgery. It has serious risks that apply not just to the surgery and immediately after, but lifelong and affecting future pregnancies. Why on earth would I want to have an ELECTIVE c/s? I can't think of one single reason that outweighs the risk.
#7 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM

I am not all about that whole getting sliced for no real reason thing. Plus I like making waves and showing people that there are other ways to do things. That i have a brain and can think and research for myself and come to my own conclusions. But that goes way beyond just VBAC.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#8 of 32 Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 PM

I want a VBAC because 1) I feel like I missed out on an important part of womanhood, that I couldn't do something that seemed "simple" and natural to so many other women. And most importantly 2) because I HATED trying to juggle no sleep and the newborn stage while recovering from major surgery. It's hard enough to raise a baby but it's one million times harder to raise a baby if you can't even lift them up without agony. I want to be able to eat/walk/walk upstairs/lift my baby/and nurse them however they like without having to worry about the pressure pain they are putting on my incision.
#9 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 12:30 AM

Partly, I wanted to prove to myself that my body was not broken. I had two footling breech presentations in a row, not a presentation I would choose to birth vaginally, and an occurrence I understand to be very rare. I frankly wasn't sure if things would line up properly for me, and even my cephalic presentation baby was malpositioned (posterior).

Partly, I needed to have a VBA2C because my second c-section was so traumatic. Not the surgery itself, but the administration of the anesthesia. That took longer than the c-section itself, and was excruciatingly painful. I quit counting pokes after the fifth, and wound up with my entire back bruised. I simply could not subject myself to that again unless it was a matter of life or death.

Mostly, though, it is the simple fact that God intended babies to come out our vaginas. No way would I volunteer to do something so unnatural unless it was necessary.

That said, I do understand why some women schedule ERCs, and I completely support their right to do so.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#10 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 12:56 AM

I wanted to experience birth. I never liked hospitals, and I'd much rather push a baby out my vagina than lie in an operating room and have a bunch of near-strangers cut my baby out of me. It was scary and not fun.
#11 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 01:13 AM

I had to give myself a chance. I couldn't just give up and schedule surgery based on one try. And I don't believe that a repeat c-section was necessary for me and I didn't want unnecessary surgery after experiencing what it did to my body the first time.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#12 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 03:08 AM

My first birth was via emergency C-section after 24 hours of labor. I feel comfortable that this was truly an emergency, and thankfully don't have any long-term issues about it. The recovery was very difficult because I am extremely sensitive to narcotics. (Even half a pain pill slows my breathing down to the point that I have crushing chest pain.) Therefore, I had to recover on Advil and Tylenol. This is reason enough to avoid all interventions!

I'm at 12 weeks with my second pregnancy. It's strange - I feel exactly the same way I did with my first pregnancy. In other words, I still plan to have the same natural birth with my DH and a doula, and a midwife instead of an OB this time. I consider this pregnancy to be the same (low) risk as my first. I don't think my risks have changed a lot. I'm still healthy, my pregnancy feels healthy. Birthing is a natural process that works a whole lot better when left alone. The risk of a uterine rupture is small. There are so many other small risks out there that we don't work around or avoid. (Ex. placental abruption or amniotic embolus). We certainly monitor the health of the mother and baby, naturally. Shouldn't all births be done in a well-informed setting? (This can be done UC, homebirth, etc. I'm not advocating a hospital, per se.)

When I hear VBAC, it's always in reference to "waiting for that uterus to rupture". I know I'm crabby now, but I'm getting tired of hearing the emphasis on UR. How about talking about nutrition, exercise, fetal positioning? A VBAC should be treated no differently than a regular preganancy. In other words, look at the risks, plan for mitigating those risks. That does not mean over-reacting; just be proactive.

I'm sorry that this post is sounding so simplistic. I don't mean it that way. Of course, we watch for UR, avoid pitocin, etc. But the knee-jerk over-reaction to head straight to the OR frustrates me.

A VBAC to me is a birth. Period.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#13 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmorgan View Post
My first birth was via emergency C-section after 24 hours of labor. I feel comfortable that this was truly an emergency, and thankfully don't have any long-term issues about it. The recovery was very difficult because I am extremely sensitive to narcotics. (Even half a pain pill slows my breathing down to the point that I have crushing chest pain.) Therefore, I had to recover on Advil and Tylenol. This is reason enough to avoid all interventions!

I'm at 12 weeks with my second pregnancy. It's strange - I feel exactly the same way I did with my first pregnancy. In other words, I still plan to have the same natural birth with my DH and a doula, and a midwife instead of an OB this time. I consider this pregnancy to be the same (low) risk as my first. I don't think my risks have changed a lot. I'm still healthy, my pregnancy feels healthy. Birthing is a natural process that works a whole lot better when left alone. The risk of a uterine rupture is small. There are so many other small risks out there that we don't work around or avoid. (Ex. placental abruption or amniotic embolus). We certainly monitor the health of the mother and baby, naturally. Shouldn't all births be done in a well-informed setting? (This can be done UC, homebirth, etc. I'm not advocating a hospital, per se.)

When I hear VBAC, it's always in reference to "waiting for that uterus to rupture". I know I'm crabby now, but I'm getting tired of hearing the emphasis on UR. How about talking about nutrition, exercise, fetal positioning? A VBAC should be treated no differently than a regular preganancy. In other words, look at the risks, plan for mitigating those risks. That does not mean over-reacting; just be proactive.

I'm sorry that this post is sounding so simplistic. I don't mean it that way. Of course, we watch for UR, avoid pitocin, etc. But the knee-jerk over-reaction to head straight to the OR frustrates me.

I totally agree, to me it was just one thing that could go wrong, but it's such a small chance that it wasn't even worth worrying about. It's like being so worried about getting into an accident that you won't drive a car.

Anyhow, for me, I had a scheduled c-section the first time because my baby was breech and I felt like the experience of birth was taken away from me, and put into the hands of a bunch of doctors and nurses for whom this was just an ordinary day at the office. I hated the feeling of lying there on the bed with all these people doing stuff to me. I also had a tough recovery, I guess probably no worse than normal, but it took me a good 6 weeks before I could go shopping or something without having a lot of pain afterward, so I couldn't imagine trying to do that with a newborn and an active 2 year old at home. Then my friends and family members who had vaginal births were up and walking a few days later like nothing had happened, I was amazed. Those were my main reasons for wanting a VBAC.
#14 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I am going to a meeting today at our local hospital, from what I understand several of the doctors in our town have an agenda to 'ban' VBAC's from our two local hospitals (based on inability to respond to emergency surgery quickly enough). I'm furious, and have been tossing and turning for hours trying to figure out how to express (to a bunch of doctors) how terribly wrong this is. Your replies have been helpful to me!
#15 of 32 Old 11-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Good luck in that, hope you can make a difference. My HBAC was important to me because it restored to me a right to the full experience of womanhood and motherhood, and my wholeness and right to make my own decisions and experience life fully as a woman. Men wouldn't like it if they had to try to give a "sample" under bright lights with people looking on and commenting on their progress or lack of progress, and reminding them that if they didn't get it done under those circumstances, within a time limit, they would get it cut off. What man could manage it like that? And then to be told afterward that "it's ok, all that matters was that we got it, and besides, you can still give samples in the future, by having them surgically extracted too! We'll give you a little straw to use!"
Ha ha ha.

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#16 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 AM

I too wanted to experience birth.

But also, it just insinctually felt so wrong/ depressing every time I thought of scheduling a c-section, like the baby's arrival was this banal event and he would just be handed to me. I wanted him to pick his own birthday. I don't know, hard to describe, but the joyfulness of meeting him was so tied up for me with *me* being the one to birth him. When I imagined a c-section, I almost would feel like I couldn't remember why I even wanted to have another baby!
#17 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 AM

I agree with everything posted so far!

I've had two unplanned c-sections and I'm taking my second whack at a VBAC in the next month or two. What I hated the most about a c-section is how the baby was shown to me for a minute or two then whisked off to the nursery while I went to recovery. With the second this was medically necessary...with the first it was just proceedure.

I missed the first hours of my babies lives and I can never ever get that back. I didn't give them their first bath...I didn't even see it. I HATE that they were brought to me washed, dressed and wrapped up as if it was something someone else did...sort of a "look what we got for you!" type situation.

They are MY babies and I don't think anyone should have the right to take them away like that. I know now that in some hospitals healthy babies come with Mom to recovery after a c-section and their partner can look after them. Thats a bit better but my ideal...what I intend to have this time around...is baby comes out of me and then stays with me...no question about it. I have NO intention of missing those first hours this time around.
#18 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 06:04 PM

VBAC is important to me because I think it's just so much better for a woman's body to be able to do it naturally. I also want to have several children, but if I have c-sections will be more limited in how many I can have.
#19 of 32 Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Mama View Post
Thank you for the replies. I am going to a meeting today at our local hospital, from what I understand several of the doctors in our town have an agenda to 'ban' VBAC's from our two local hospitals (based on inability to respond to emergency surgery quickly enough).
Then how can they respond to any labor that goes south? I've never understood that reasoning. Any labor can require an emergency c-section at some point, not just a VBAC attempt.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#20 of 32 Old 11-29-2008, 12:53 AM

Mountain_Mama, how did the meeting at the hospital go?

I agree with funkymamajoy. I believe any birth, not just VBACs, has the potential to have a problem. If the hospital believes they should have emergency surgery personnel available for VBACs, they should have them available for everyone.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#21 of 32 Old 11-29-2008, 01:55 AM

I had my primary section for a breech baby and the second one for low AFI at term.

It was important for me to try for a vba2c because I had older children to take care of at home, in addition to a newborn.

We had always planned on a big-ish family and I knew that every c-section that I had would increase the risk to my health and the health of my baby.

My c-sections were scary and I felt like I was in survival mode (even though they were fairly straightforward). I found it difficult to focus on my baby. This was mostly perception on my part, but valid.

I found nighttime parenting (and breastfeeding) a newborn very difficult while recovering from a c-section.

And I agree with a PP about the hospitals excuses for trying to ban vbac. Steamy pile of BS. If they can't handle an emergent c-section for UR, they wouldn't be able to handle a cord prolapse or any other emergent situations. They like to tout themselves as the safest place to give birth, but if this is the excuse, they are admitting that they are not actually equipped to handle emergencies.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#22 of 32 Old 11-29-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymamajoy View Post
Then how can they respond to any labor that goes south? I've never understood that reasoning. Any labor can require an emergency c-section at some point, not just a VBAC attempt.
: It makes no sense whatsoever. Personally I'd be leery of birthing at a hospital AT ALL if they claim to not have sufficient staff for an emergency C-section.
#23 of 32 Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 PM

My c/s was a true emergency, DD was losing blood and I had to be knocked out by shot. It was the worst experience of my life and caused many months of depression. I never want to go through anything like that ever again.

Other reasons VBAC is important - because that is the way babes are meant to come into this world. I honestly feel c/s should only be reserved for situations like I was in.

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#24 of 32 Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 AM

Because I want another chance to be able to make decisions based on faith and love, and not fear. Because I want to experience the power and glory of birth executed by nature alone.
#25 of 32 Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bc I wanted to have a large family and didn't want c/s after c/s after c/s and all the risks that come from them.
#26 of 32 Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK View Post
Bc I wanted to have a large family and didn't want c/s after c/s after c/s and all the risks that come from them.
My feelings exactly. It wasn't until I really started researching VBAC that I uncovered all of the true consequences that my c-sections would have on my body and future pregnancies/children.

Also, I assumed that my 1st c/s was a fluke and that of course next time I would give birth vaginally. It wasn't until I was pregnant the 2nd time around that I realized there was often such a hostile attitude in the medical community towards VBACing. I've always thought that if I was only planning on 2 children it would probably be much harder for me to fight the fight for a VBAC.
#27 of 32 Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

#28 of 32 Old 12-03-2008, 01:41 PM

Oh, that is an awful update. I am so sorry. Have you asked what they will do if you refuse to concent to a surgical birth? Or what if they had someone arrive pushing? They can ban all they want, but they can NOT force you to have unnecessary surgery!

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
#29 of 32 Old 12-03-2008, 02:07 PM

A VBAC is important to me because that is how women are made to birth babies. (Unless there's a *true* emergency.) My body is *not* messed up, or broken, or defective. I *can* do it, so I am *going* to do it. With DD, I was bullied into having a c-section. It was less than a week before Christmas, I had pre-eclampsia, and the cervidol wasn't working. My OB told me "We can do pitocin, but it won't work, so you might as well schedule a c-section." DH and I were worried about DD (we didn't know that they have more extensive tests they should do before diagnosing pre-e), and since the pitocin "wouldn't work" and DD could be hurt/die/whatever if she wasn't born right.now. we "agreed" to a c-section. I had to be put under general anesthesia, which meant that for the first day(s) of DD's life, I wasn't "there". I "missed" *my* baby being born. I didn't get to hold her as soon as she was born, DH didn't get to hold her as soon as she was born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTmorgan View Post
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by morning glory View Post
I agree with everything posted so far!

I've had two unplanned c-sections and I'm taking my second whack at a VBAC in the next month or two. What I hated the most about a c-section is how the baby was shown to me for a minute or two then whisked off to the nursery while I went to recovery. With the second this was medically necessary...with the first it was just proceedure.

I missed the first hours of my babies lives and I can never ever get that back. I didn't give them their first bath...I didn't even see it. I HATE that they were brought to me washed, dressed and wrapped up as if it was something someone else did...sort of a "look what we got for you!" type situation.

They are MY babies and I don't think anyone should have the right to take them away like that. I know now that in some hospitals healthy babies come with Mom to recovery after a c-section and their partner can look after them. Thats a bit better but my ideal...what I intend to have this time around...is baby comes out of me and then stays with me...no question about it. I have NO intention of missing those first hours this time around.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
My c/s was a true emergency, DD was losing blood and I had to be knocked out by shot. It was the worst experience of my life and caused many months of depression. I never want to go through anything like that ever again.

Other reasons VBAC is important - because that is the way babes are meant to come into this world. I honestly feel c/s should only be reserved for situations like I was in.
ITA

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#30 of 32 Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 PM

After C/S with DS I was told my pelvis was too small to birth babies and that I would never be able to have a vaginal birth. I was in denial from the beginning since DS was posterior and somehow in a weird position so I couldn't push him out.

My OB (we moved after DS was born) here agreed to doing a VBAC and DD was born 8lbs 3oz vaginally in August 2008. CPD my behind. I know I can birth babies, nobody can tell me any different.

joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page