how many of you have had HBAC's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll try and keep this as short as possible.

I have had one prior cesarean and currently pregnant with my second child. I have been planning a homebirth which my husband is on board with. We are happy with the midwife who is providing us with care.

Did any of you have days when you thought maybe this is not the best idea? I am well educated and have been very positive about the whole situation until Today when we met an OB. The ob was obviously against the idea of HBAC, telling me the risks (which I already know but when someone is telling them to your face it's a little different). He wasnt necessarily anti VBAC however he did advise me that there is a huge possibility that if I labor at the hospital some of the doctors will want to give me a c-section as soon as I arrive wether the baby is fine or not. He basically told me its "luck of the draw" with what doctors are on call that evening/day.

I dont know why I am having doubts, I have been looking forward to a HBAC, educating myself pretty well and thought it was definetly what I wanted. But all of a sudden, I'm a little scared. All I can think about is what if one of these things happens to me? Did this happen to anybody else and you went on to have a great HBAC?

Maybe I just need to sleep on it.

#2 of 28 Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Me! And I had no doubt that it was the way to go. Sure, I worried, and fretted, and stressed, and cried. But that's normal! Even underneath all of that, I knew it would be okay. And it was! If you believe in your heart that this is the right thing, don't let an OB bring you down. Of course they're going to try to scare you, you're telling them you aren't going to give them any business by having an HBAC! Use their fear of VBAC as even more reason to do it at home. I knew I had very little chance of birthing vaginally in the hospital, and it sounds like you do too.
#3 of 28 Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM

I had a great HBAC. I was nervous and by nature I am a huge worrier, but when I actually went into labor, I just concentrated on having the baby and the VBAC worries never surfaced for me. I had a water birth and the mw had an underwater dopplar device to keep track of the babies heartbeat. The whole thing went very smoothly. Just keep visualizing how you want your birth to be. Good luck, you can do it!!!
#4 of 28 Old 12-03-2008, 01:13 AM

I also had a great HBAC. And just like ilovebeingamom, once I started labor I just kept my mind on the hard work I was doing. I will say that I am pretty sure I would have had another C-section if I was in the hospital--it took me 7 hours to go from 7cm dilated to having my baby in my arms. The midwives were very cool and no one was worried b/c baby and I were doing just fine but I know that if I were in the hospital I would have been pressured to "speed things up." But I didn't think of any of this until after the birth--like I said, I was preoccupied

Wendy  Wife to my sweet husband, homeschooling mom to 4 little girls and a new blessing due in November! chicken3.gif
#5 of 28 Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 AM

I've had two HBACs and think its the safest way to do it. Intervention is what makes VBAC dangerous. Without intervention the risks of complications are hardly more than any other vaginal birth.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#6 of 28 Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, all of a sudden i'm just very nervous about it and I have been so positive about it up until now!! I'm hoping its just a phase that will pass.

I really need to stop seeing the OB though.. I think that would be a good start. I was so positive until I saw that man yesterday!
#7 of 28 Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddollarmama View Post
Thanks for the advice, all of a sudden i'm just very nervous about it and I have been so positive about it up until now!! I'm hoping its just a phase that will pass.

I really need to stop seeing the OB though.. I think that would be a good start. I was so positive until I saw that man yesterday!
Yes, start surrounding yourself only with positive, supportive people - and that OB is not one of them! THat was a key factor in succeeding at my HBAC. Negativity plants seeds of doubt in your mind and they start to sprout if you don't weed them out quickly!
#8 of 28 Old 12-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Had HBAC with baby #2 and I am currently waiting (41+3) for HBAC #2 with baby #3!

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#9 of 28 Old 12-04-2008, 01:17 PM

I was more concerned about my clotting issues than a possible rupture (as the chances of that were so much lower)
Its normal to think about those things, and especially to over-think them. In the middle of my birth, however, they were the last thing on my mind. You can't think a lot about 'what-ifs' when you are focusing on making it through the next contraction! Needless to say, my HBAC was amazing, and I am planning on having another one in the summer.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#10 of 28 Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 PM

The way I looked at it while planning my hbac, there were risks either way. The question was, which risks was I most willing to take, and which option did I believe would be most beneficial to myself and my baby? It's tempting to think of the risks that can occur at home and mimimize those that can occur in a hospital, because that's how we are culturally conditioned. Like, I'm in a hospital, so nothing can go wrong. Well, the OB has pretty much told you that you don't have a good chance of a vbac in the hospital, and I'm sure there's not much doubt in your mind that a vbac is better than a rcs. So where are you most likely to have that happen?

HTH & you can do it! :

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#11 of 28 Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM

"Of course they're going to try to scare you, you're telling them you aren't going to give them any business by having an HBAC!"

Love this quote, barefoot!
#12 of 28 Old 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM

I understand where you're coming from. I had an HBAC at the end of July. Back in April I stopped seeing my OB because when I left her office I felt insecure about the upcoming hbac. Mind you, she was a very good ob and while she discouraged me from a homebirth she was never rude or condescending, I really like her. But, when I stopped seeing her and only saw my midwives instead, I had much more peace about my decision to hbac. I think ob's just see so much intervention in birth that they can't see how it could work any other way. I strongly recommend dropping appointments with your ob since you leave feeling wrong.

*My hbac went wonderfully. Not going to the hospital helped me have a short labor and great family time after the birth.*

Wife to James mom to dd(1999) ds1(2001)and ds2(7/08)
: * : * * : * * :
#13 of 28 Old 12-07-2008, 04:26 PM

I had an awesome HBAC. Of course there were some lingering doubts, but I have faith in me and my body. And a contingency plan with a competent midwife for any unlikely negative possibilities.
#14 of 28 Old 12-09-2008, 08:11 PM

I had a UBAC. I never doubted that it was the right thing to do. I'm planning a second one for Feb.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#15 of 28 Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 AM

i also had a HBAC. as my due date approached, i began worrying that my second labor would begin the same way as my first: with my waters breaking, and then nothing happening. but then i remembered that the outcome would be so different. with my first, i was induced after 16 hours of SROM; with #2, i was in active labor after 18 hours, and babe was born 24 hours after my waters broke, to the dot. .... and the experience was one i wouldn't trade anything in the world for!!!

it's natural to worry, but don't let it get you down.
good luck!
#16 of 28 Old 12-10-2008, 03:56 PM

The vast majority of OBs are against homebirth of any kind, and more and more they are coming out against VBACs. Is it surprising that this doctor would have bad things to say about HBACs? Not to me. Of course there are some surprising things that doctors do. Like give VBACing women pitocin to help their labors regardless of how that drug causes chances of VBAC rupture to skyrocket. And then of course there are the docs who get antsy enough to induce labor at 37 weeks, opening their clients and babies up to the possibility of prematurity and the side effects and medical problems that causes. Then there is the routine practice of intermittent and/or continuous electronic fetal monitoring that has never been statistically shown to significantly improve outcomes for mom or baby. And then we have their support of epidurals as risk free pain relief that aren't risk free at all. And lets not forget the wonderful formula gift bags they all give out, that undermine breastfeeding regardless of it being the absolute best, safest way for babies to be fed. OBs care less about patient safety and more about their own pockets and liability. Homebirth and hospital birth have the same inherent risks associated with childbirth. Of course hospital birth often doubles and triples those risks because of the needless interventions used.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#17 of 28 Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM

I had a HBAC and never once saw an OB after my 6 wk post partum visit after my CS. I didn't discuss it with any doctor actually. I'm a nurse (and have constant reminders about how "fragile" life can be) and I had days where I doubted, worried and wondered. I knew in my heart though that I would never be able to totally "let loose" and go with the labor in a hospital. I knew I would be uptight, nervous, and ready for the "fight" for my vbac. I knew I didn't want to fight. I knew I wanted a vbac. And I knew from the beginning my best chances were at home with my experienced midwife. She told me once during an appt "once labor gets going, it's just a normal birth, we don't focus on that scar" I was kind of upset by that comment because I wanted to make sure she did take UR into consideration if something wasn't looking right. Now, after the birth, I realize she just meant that it's just one of those rare things that can go wrong, just like placenta abruption, acreta, etc. And a hospital might be able to save you and your baby, but maybe not. There are no guarantees in life. We aren't guaranteed another moment. The one study I read that put me over the edge was when I read that the UR rate for cytotec (the drug I had to induce labor the first time around) had a higher UR rate than a non-induced vbac. WOW. So my risk for rupture was actually higher the first time!!!! scary.

FWIW I had a glorious VBAC at home in january. It exceeded my wildest dreams. It transformed me. It gave me new perspectives. I look forward to doing it again someday!!!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#18 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM

I had a wonderful HBAC Nov 2007. My son, who was born weighing over 10 lbs, with nuchal arm, and born 'en caul' (my midwives were very respectful and non-interventive, and I think the unruptured sac eased the pushing stage), is now a year old, weighs 30 lbs and wears 2-year-old shoes and clothes. (My father was a VERY tall / big man and I am 5'10" so I think this is normal for us)

Anyway, it was all fine. I think it's normal to be frightened when you talk to an OB about birth. They specialize in surgery and in problems and do not see birth as safe or normal even under "normal" circumstances. I know that certain interventions can be lifesaving. They can also be life-threatening, especially when the risks are undertaken for little or no real reason.

So I like to say, "No OB= No pr-OB-lem" because in the vast majority of births, that is true.

I can suggest you go look at the www.ican-online.org website and subscribe to the email digest (they only do it that way) for lots and lots of HBAC stories, good (mostly) and bad (occasionally).

HBAC was the best decision I ever made. Am pretty sure hospital VBAC "attempt" would have forever remained just an "attempt" especially as the "pro-VBAC" OB was big into Pit inductions on VBAC, and said she couldn't "let" me go a day past 40 weeks because I was a uterus waiting to explode, and somehow inducing with Pit makes all that less likely?! Not likely. I would have been another statistic because my baby wasn't ready til 2 days after 40 weeks.

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#19 of 28 Old 12-20-2008, 03:17 PM

I had a wonderful HBAC Nov 2007. My son, who was born weighing over 10 lbs, with nuchal arm, and born 'en caul' (my midwives were very respectful and non-interventive, and I think the unruptured sac eased the pushing stage), is now a year old, weighs 30 lbs and wears 2-year-old shoes and clothes. (My father was a VERY tall / big man and I am 5'10" so I think this is normal for us)

Anyway, it was all fine. I think it's normal to be frightened when you talk to an OB about birth. They specialize in surgery and in problems and do not see birth as safe or normal even under "normal" circumstances. I know that certain interventions can be lifesaving. They can also be life-threatening, especially when the risks are undertaken for little or no real reason.

So I like to say, "No OB= No pr-OB-lem" because in the vast majority of births, that is true.

I can suggest you go look at the www.ican-online.org website and subscribe to the email digest (they only do it that way) for lots and lots of HBAC stories, good (mostly) and bad (occasionally).

HBAC was the best decision I ever made. Am pretty sure hospital VBAC "attempt" would have forever remained just an "attempt" especially as the "pro-VBAC" OB was big into Pit inductions on VBAC, and said she couldn't "let" me go a day past 40 weeks because I was a uterus waiting to explode, and somehow inducing with Pit makes all that less likely?! Not likely. I would have been another statistic because my baby wasn't ready til 2 days after 40 weeks.

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#20 of 28 Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks for posting this thread! I need the positive stories to boost my confidence. I'm planning an HBAC in April and hope that I will have a really great HBAC story to post.
#21 of 28 Old 12-25-2008, 12:07 AM

My second VBAC was an HBAC. The first VBAC was an intended HBAC but I started pushing before the midwife got here because I didn't recognize transition (oops...never got that far with DS). Anyway when I started pushing DH called the ambulance (per MW instructions). We were in the hospital for about 4 hours altogether and then we went home at 3 am

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#22 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 12:26 AM

THIS is so interesting! Can anyone share this research??

The one study I read that put me over the edge was when I read that the UR rate for cytotec (the drug I had to induce labor the first time around) had a higher UR rate than a non-induced vbac. WOW. So my risk for rupture was actually higher the first time!!!! scary.
#23 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 AM

I actually had a horrible (in some ways) HBAC. Even still, I don't regret planning it. It was as good as it could have been, all things considered.

A homebirth, in and of itself, doesn't guarantee a good experience, which I learned the hard way.

If there was a next time, I'd likely UC.
#24 of 28 Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 PM

I had a fantastic HBAC just a couple of weeks ago (DS was born on Xmas morning). I never had a doubt in my mind that I would have a successful HBAC, UNTIL my water broke and contractions were slow to pick up and get stronger/closer together. For the first two days of labor I was stressing out internally, sure that it was going to turn into "dysfunctional" labor and that I would end up with a transfer and a repeat c-section once I hit the outer edge of the safety window for ruptured membranes. Fortunately my MW was wonderfully supportive and encouraging, and gave me the space I needed to get into an active labor pattern--and 58 hours after my first contraction, DS was born in our bedroom as snow swirled outside!

I have no doubt that, had I attempted to VBAC in-hospital, I would've ended up with another surgery--the hospitals here won't augment VBAC labors, and they never would've let me labor long enough to get DS out.
#25 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM

I NEVER thought I would be comfortable with a homebirth even though I loved the idea in theory. I'm not totally mainstream, but I'm not that crunchy either. But I ended up with an unexpected c-section with my first and when I found myself pregnant again, I started considering it. I ended up choosing a homebirth because it seemed like my best chance not to end up with a second c-section. But I was so unsure I was well into my third trimester before I switched providers and I was still wavered every now and then. And in the end it came down to one thing for me - I REALLY trusted my midwife.

She was VERY experienced and calm and well known in our area so I got a lot of recommendations and I knew that she would know what to do in any situation that came up, would make great decisions and I totally trusted her.

And once I went into labor, I never had any doubts or worries at all. My labor was a long, back labor and I would do it all again in a second. I am SO glad I had a homebirth. And the bond with my second child was much more immediate which is very special to me.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful HBAC story to tell soon
#26 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 AM

i just wanted to tell you my mother in law had a vertical insicions c section with her first and went on to have 6 more children vbac. she had them in a hospital though but had no complications. there are risks but dont let anyone scare you because its definately possible. i had a csection and am hoping/praying that with my next babies they will all be hbac!
#27 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 AM

:

not currently pregnant, but hoping for a hbac if/when it happens.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#28 of 28 Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM

My first vbac (Nov 2006) was in the hospital but my second vbac (Dec 2008) was at home. My hbac was waaaaaay harder than my hospital vbac, but that's b/c I had a posterior labor and baby came out sunny side up - not b/c I had an hbac.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page