Calling all VBAMCers...introduce yourself - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm planning a HBA2C in June and would love for all of us to introduce ourselves. My midwife is stressing how important it is for me to get on discussion boards. I do indeed get confidence from knowing that others are doing the same as I.

Short history-first born via primary cesarean section after only 12 hours of an induced labor...baby was OP, I was drugged the whole time and put to sleep because epi wasn't working, never heard baby's first cry, didn't see her for hours. She struggled with breastfeeding!!! Disaster.

Second planned hospital VBAC with same OB/GYN. Mistake! Staff was not supportive at all, I had no nuritional guidance/help with fears/motivation to stay active/etc. Got epi at 8cm, never progressed past 8. Baby was 10lbs exactly....I truly feel that I was consuming an incredible amount of sugar during my pregnancy, I was inactive, and had no counseling for my extreme fear of birth (and of the hospital).

This time, we've got a midwife. She spent three hours with me during our first appointment. I'm on quite the regimine of herbs and supplements, staying active by swimming and walking/running, avoiding sugars and doing brewer diet, birth art, constant reading, etc.

Just hoping we can be there for each other and that we can all keep up with "who is who and when we're all due".....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 PM

I am also planning on a VBA2C in July. I found a supportive OB and I also hired a Doula/Midwife. She delivers at home, but as of right now my husband is more comfortable doing this in a hospital but we will see when the time comes, I might just stay home. My first was c-section due to induction and then FTP. Second, was a VBAC attempt and then fetal distress after epi. This one will be a "pure birth" with NO INTERVENTIONS. I also changed my diet, have plans to see a chiro, participate in prenatal yoga, and will attend a bradley method class. I hope you and I both succeed!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM

I'm not pregnant (yet) but just wanted to say hello. I have had 4 sections, 2 planned/2 unexpected. My 3rd baby was my vba2c attempt (hospital) but it didn't happen.

Anyway, I have been looking into the risks of vbamc vs cbamc (is that even an acronym?) I'd love more than anything to have a homebirth. it's hard, in my situation, because it does seem like the risks for more than 3 sections go up significantly, but it's hard to say if the same is true of vbamc (specifically vba4c in my case).

I have been emailing and calling local midwives and haven't had much luck. I thought being in such a midwife/homebirth friendly state, I could find a provider to consider me. What they have told me is that legally they are not allowed to attend anything past a vba2c for homebirths and that there are no hospitals/OB's that would touch me, either. One sweet MW has offered to meet with me and look over my medical records to come up with a plan, what exactly that means, I dunno. But she actually seems interested in helping me somehow, so that is a tad encouraging. If I can't find a MW (assuming I get knocked up again ) then I don't have many options besides a UC or ERC. Also, to complicate things more, the closest full service hospital is 30 min away, there is an ER that is 10 min from me, but they don't do surgery -- they transfer to the city.

Best of luck to both of you with your vba2c/hba2c

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

I would say that midwife is probably going to agree to help you out. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do something crazy like get a hotel as close to the hospital as possible in early labor. Have midwife come, and birth there. Usually there are hotels very, very close to hospitals; like here, there is one literally a few (like two) minutes away. This option might not be appealing but at least you'd be secure in being close to the hospital in case of any complication. The last think you need in a VBAC is any doubt or worry. I feel so blessed to be so close to a hospital but I'd book a hotel room in a heart beat if I wasn't. Anyway, just one of my crazy ideas. Have you seen this?http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1uEJdKvGM8
Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 AM

This will be my first VBAC. First pregnancy ended up with C-sec due to FTP and tons of interventions. Everything was OK but the OB didn't want to wait for me. Now I am looking for a MW to attend me at a hospital since there is no birthing center that is willing to take me and it's illegal in my state for MWs to attend HBACs. I can find an underground MW but don't have the money to pay for the birth if I can't submit the claim afterwards to the insurance. So a hospital will it be. I wanted to find a care provider first and after that get pregnant but I think I might be prego already - it's still early for a test but I feel it So, my plans are good diet since #1 was 8.11 and don't want to have a bigger baby than that. Stay active because don't want to be overdue again. And get over my fear of hospitals. and forgive myself for my previous c-section.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 AM

I am Lisa Marie and planning a VBA2C at a birth center in May. I would really love to try for a HB but the center is closer to a birthing hospital if I need to transfer and DH would prefer me at an OB probably (he signed the paperwork for the MW's practice but I know how last time he was so worried about something happening so I agreed to the only OB that took VBACs and knew I would end in a CS with them).

I am just over half way there and been having fears about CBAC along with I have probs about how my neighbor already plans to birth (1st vag, 2nd CS bc baby was breech at 37-38 wks, and already planned her CS before 39 wks this time bc it is her last and she has not done any research).

I plan to have a doula this time bc DH is NOT a hands on person when it comes to pain relief and comfort for me (drugs are his idea) so I need someone else there to support me with that.

~Lisa Marie~ Married 08/03, Mama to 2 Fall Princes '04 :, '06 CBAC & :
Late May '09 Princess VBA2C success :
Old 01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

I am currently 7 weeks pg, edd is sept. 3. I had all 3 of my previous children by cs. I was in labor with the first and due to "complications" I had an emergency cs. I had to be put to sleep bc epi wasn't working anymore. She and I both slept for hours after the birth. My second was a scheduled cs performed at 37.5 weeks. With my last child my dr scheduled my cs knowing how bady I wanted a VBAC. I was well educated and prepared for VBAC but even after coming in already in labor I was wheeled away to the OR before I had a chance to protest. Now that I am pregnant again I am determined to be completely in charge and have this baby my way. I am looking for a midwife currently that will assist VBAMC in NC. I have a few leads. But no matter what happens this time I will not let the medical community bully me into doing what suits them. "Who's having this baby anyways?"
Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 PM

Hi! I had my DS (will be about 22 months at the time of my VBAC) via c/s due to what I believe was my lack of education and giving into my OB's rush, rush, rush, you're on my time attitude! I gave into the idea of inducing from the excitement of knowing I'd be meeting my baby soon. Oops, mistake #1! And I gave in after pushing for 2 hours, even though I honestly believe now it wasn't time to push as I never felt the need to do so. I gave into the c/s, not realizing that I had any other options. oops, mistake #2! I believed my doctor when she said he was "stuck"....hahaha, totally don't believe her now!!!!!!! I feel more educated, more empowered, more prepared, and more confident that my body knows what it's supposed to do...I just have to wait for it to do it!!

This time, I am planning on a hospital VBAC with an OB (a different OB than last time!!!!!!). I honestly 100% feel backed by my OB (she's very pro VBAC with good stats as she encourages VBAC over c/s and she and her partners have one of the lowest c/s rates in town! I'm so proud!) I also have a labor and delivery nurse friend that I know would not want to let me down by giving into the pressure of the medical world because she knows that DH and myself want this more than anything. So I have confidence in my medical staff already!

So, while hospital and OB aren't ideal for a VBAC, I really feel like my situation is a good one for me.

I am meeting with a doula in less than 2 weeks (eeek, I'll already be almost 34 weeks!) and I'm hoping DH will see how important one can be...as I'd really like one by my side...I'm sure I don't need to explain why to any of you!

But after my last post here, I've become convinced that natural is best for me...and I'm excited about that!!!!!

My little girl is due March 10th...so I'm looking forward to the birth of my dreams! :: I'm already dreaming of that moment that she comes out vaginally and she's layed on my chest! I'm basically screaming with joy that I birthed a baby! LOL!!!! I have that dream constantly...so I'm taking that as a good sign!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
spu

hello to all you wonderful mama's - just want to send you positive vibes for your vbamc's. You're in a fabulous wonderful place and I hope you find lots of energy and encouragement from these boards. I had 2cs, both unplanned, and finally a vba2c. My vba2c was only 15 months after my second c, so I had lots to think about during the pregnancy... I wish you all the best.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 AM

ME!! I hoping for a HBA2C but I'm not pregnant yet. Before I got pregnant with my VBAC attempt I just assumed most women gave birth vaginally and it would be no big deal I would try again. I had no idea until I was several months pregnant that I would have to fight as hard as I did and I want to be fully prepared this time around so I eat, sleep, drink, and breathe vaginal birth. Hmmm....that sounds weird. Anyways, I know it helps with healing from the pain of my sons' births too.

Good luck to all of you ladies! May we all someday experience what many women take for granted!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrinkley View Post
I would say that midwife is probably going to agree to help you out. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do something crazy like get a hotel as close to the hospital as possible in early labor. Have midwife come, and birth there. Usually there are hotels very, very close to hospitals; like here, there is one literally a few (like two) minutes away. This option might not be appealing but at least you'd be secure in being close to the hospital in case of any complication. The last think you need in a VBAC is any doubt or worry. I feel so blessed to be so close to a hospital but I'd book a hotel room in a heart beat if I wasn't. Anyway, just one of my crazy ideas. Have you seen this?http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1uEJdKvGM8

thank you for your thoughts. A hotel near the hospital is a great idea, not ideal or what I imagine, but surely better than another section. I, too, think maybe that mw would help me out-- I just got that vibe, even after she informed me of the state regs. We'll see what comes out of it and there are a ton of MW's in my state, I just started working thru those who had websites or easily found contact info online.

I have seen that youtube video before. Thanks for linking it. Such a beautiful and motivating story.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 AM

Hi! I am currently planning my VBA2C for August. I have found a very supportive OB, which I am thrilled about.

My 1st c/s was after a 41 wks "post date" induction & FTP. My 2nd I went into labor on my own. After 17 hours or so I got an epi. Slowly finished dilating to 10cm. Water never broke & DD never descended. After 25 hours, DD was not responding well to labor, so I agreed to a RCS.

The main fear I have to overcome is that my baby's don't descend. If my baby drops I'll be doing a HUGE happy dance!!

Good Luck ladies!!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbelle View Post
Hi! I am currently planning my VBA2C for August. I have found a very supportive OB, which I am thrilled about.

My 1st c/s was after a 41 wks "post date" induction & FTP. My 2nd I went into labor on my own. After 17 hours or so I got an epi. Slowly finished dilating to 10cm. Water never broke & DD never descended. After 25 hours, DD was not responding well to labor, so I agreed to a RCS.

The main fear I have to overcome is that my baby's don't descend. If my baby drops I'll be doing a HUGE happy dance!!

Good Luck ladies!!
That's my main fear about a VBA2C...is that baby won't descend as mine never have. Of course, it can happen anytime (even minutes before baby is born) but it is nerve wracking for us who have BTDT. Do you know the position of your babies? I KNOW my VBAC attempt was posterior and I wouldn't doubt that my first was too. I'll definitely be doing some spinningbabies and avoiding sitting for very long to prevent that from happening next time. I think there are so herb mixes that Midwives recommend that can help babies drop. Good luck!! I'm DYING to get pregnant so that I can have my victorious birth after 2 c/s!!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 AM

Can I ask what BTDT stands for?

My DS (my c/s baby) too wouldn't drop...but I was also induced at 39w2d, so I know it was just too early and my body wasn't ready. But I of course still have the fear of, will my baby drop and will I go into labor.

I know he was facing my right hip....which I thought was ideal...yet my OB decided to try to turn his head as i pushed....no luck...he liked to stay sideways any time she wasn't holding his head.

Anyone have input on that??

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to post everyone in order so we'll all know when to be praying and who to be watching out for. VBACs here we come:

Northwoods1995-feb
Mominsnj-2-06-09
MNHall-March
tmaue-end of march/early april
angiewin-4-2-09
SunCB (Lisa Marie)- May
Kbrinkley-end of June/early July
Laureng22k-July
bostonbelle-August
Smarie-September

Rumi79-when is your due date?

And waiting to hear on pregnancy soon: Mommykrista and drummerswife!!!!

Did I miss anyone and is this correct?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM
spu

really really good thinking about making sure the baby drops, mamas!!

and - yes - doing a dance is a great thing! it will help get the baby into position!

You can help by doing the hands and knees position, the cat stretch, hip circles, belly dancing, etc. This will also help prevent a posterior position. But the baby will drop when its ready. Make sure to avoid an induction if the baby is posterior or hasn't dropped yet.

And when labor does start, we've all heard about laboring with bent hips to open the pelvis, which is a great thing AFTER the baby has descended to +1. Prior to that, you would want to labor with straighter hips - this keeps the top of the pelvis open wider to accept the descending head. Once the head is past +1, by bending the hips, it opens up the bottom part of the pelvis to allow the head more room to go through.

Read Active Birth - it has some great advice about movement and positions during labor that address all of these fears. I was petrified during my vba2c that DS wouldn't descend or that he'd be posterior or asynclitic or get stuck - all things that happened with my first vbac attempt which ended in a c.

Also - make sure they don't break your water if babe is posterior or asyncitic. The pressure change from losing the fluid and cushion can cause the baby to go into a position that wasn't meant to be, making it more difficult to correct.

If your baby does drop and you do go into labor, that's actually a good thing, right?! LOL! The baby's descent on the cervix releases labor hormones, causes dilation, effacement, water breaking, etc. All good stuff. Good to be thinking about babe's positioning along the way.

p.s. - BTDT means been there, done that.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all of the great info spu! I think I found the book you're talking about online, so I'll have to check that out!

I'm just praying that my body will do it's thing...afterall, I'm a woman and that's what I'm supposed to do..right? Of course the fear is still there and I'll do anything to help secure things are going smoothly...like the stretches, circles and dancing!

Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:51 PM
spu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNHall View Post
I think I found the book you're talking about online, so I'll have to check that out!
here's the link just in case:

http://www.amazon.com/Active-Birth-A.../dp/1558320385

you've got a great mindset! I'll be thinking of you in March!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu View Post
here's the link just in case:

http://www.amazon.com/Active-Birth-A.../dp/1558320385

you've got a great mindset! I'll be thinking of you in March!

Yup, that's the one! Thanks! I feel so empowered by reading all of these great books, so I think I'll go order it now!!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Spu-what great information! I'm so glad you made the point about laboring with strait hips before +1 and bent hips after +1. I wonder if sitting on a birthing ball before +1 would be ok and then hands and knees after??? Just wondering. I'm so fearful too MNHall. I have such silly thoughts like this one is the most recent: "oh, just be ok with getting the birthing experience with your midwife because you'll probably have to transfer to get a cesarean but at least you'll have the experience"....I'm such a pessimist (spelling?)....I'm trying so hard to cut out the negativity and stay positive and I've come such a long way!!!!! However, I keep thinking like you did Spu: "I was petrified during my vba2c that DS wouldn't descend or that he'd be posterior or asynclitic or get stuck"...so I've been obsessive about OFP, exercise, nutrition, etc. Anyway, your advice was great. Thanks to you!!

Kristen
Old 01-16-2009, 07:22 PM
spu

thanks, Kristen. Glad I could help by sharing my experiences. I read Active Birth a lot (along with all the other great books out there!) and also a Midwife book that I borrowed from the library called: Heart & hands : a midwife's guide to pregnancy & birth / by Elizabeth Davis - also very helpful.

here's the link on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Hands-Mi.../dp/1587612216

When I was in labor and en route to the hospital, I lied down in the back seat, so my hips were straight which may have helped. For some reason I felt that by pinching the bridge of my nose, I was able to tolerate the intensity of the contrax somewhat.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM

I'm planning a hba2c for end of March/early April. Two c-sections both for breech. So far at 28 weeks I have a head down baby. Both my other babies where breech at 28 weeks and never turned head down, so hoping this head down baby will stay that way.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, another!!! We'll be right there with you tmaue! I'm so glad to hear baby is head down.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 PM

Hi, I'm planning a VBA2C soon! I'll be 37wks on Monday (edd is early-mid Feb).
Old 01-17-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah yeah yeah!!! Gosh, it is so nice getting in touch with so many women about VBAC (after 2 or more cesareans!!!). So comforting!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:54 PM

Oh yeah! I'm glad to see more and more VBAC'ers too! I'm very grateful for this board and having some people to discuss VBAC's with. I'm also a part of a pregnancy board, but I've asked many times and NO ONE is doing a VBAC! Darn it!!!

So northwoods1995, you'll be our next VBAC story...unless someone else out there is due sooner! I can't wait to hear all about it! Sending you some very successful vibes!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 AM

planning a vba2c with a edd of 2/6 based on ultrasound. have never gone into labor on my own (this is my 5th pg) so it will be interesting. I actually think I may go early, which I have never thought before. Been having a bit of prodromal labor but I am not ready yet for the new guy to get here. I have even started nesting a little today: cleaned carpets, moved furniture, I have even been doing dishes (which I hate).

Right now my biggest fear is that my body wont feel "safe" to birth because we are dealing with my MIL who has dementia and needs to go into an assisted living home but she is in denial about everything. It is causing me a lot of unneeded stress. I am trying to let it go for now as there is nothing I can do about it at this point.

Good luck to all you mommas planning to vbac!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNHall View Post
Can I ask what BTDT stands for?
Just lurking but wanted to say...

BTDT = been there, done that
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Hey ladies! I just saw this thread. I am 30 weeks pg with a little boy, due around the beginning of April. My dd was born in May, 2007 via emergency c-section (under general) due to a pit induction (most likely hyper stim of the uterus = cord compression = loss of baby's heartrate). We are planning a hospital birth with ds, but this time with a doula, laboring at home as long as possible, and of course no pain medications (not that we ever got to them the last time). We are taking a bradley class and I am also listening to the hypnobabies CDs (super relaxing!). I wish all of you the best in this VBAC journey!!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 PM

I just had a hba2c in October... a 2 1/2 hour, easy peasy labor. Pushed for about an hour. Baby was nearly born in our car on the way to our midwife's house.

It was awesome. Strength and peace to all you ladies!!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!

User Tag List