Breech HBAC? Is it safe??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my home visit yesterday with my MW's birth assistant, and later my doula came as well. Both did a belly check and are pretty sure they felt my baby's wobbly head down low! Still I am going for an u/s this week to make sure... still feel arms and legs all over the place... wish me luck and please send some head-down vibes!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#32 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieM View Post
I'm 32 weeks right now, and from what I understand, transverse can actually be trickier to turn than breech. That's because most transverse babies need to tuck their chin, roll UP to breech, then roll DOWN through another transverse lie and finally to vertex. A baby may be able to simply rotate the 1/4 turn down to vertex if baby is laying with its back toward the sky and its face toward the ground, but that's not usually the case, from what I understand from talking with both my homebirth midwife and my hospital CNMs ... Very few babies will "back flip" to vertex, so it really depends on how the transverse baby is lying. There's not a lot of research that I've been able to find on transverse lie. I know there's no way a trasnverse baby can be born vaginally unless he/she flips to breech or vertex, so that's probably why.

I just can't believe I'm going through this again with baby #2. I've finally come to the conclusion that yes, there may be something with my body that makes me incapable of carrying a term vertex baby, but that does not automatically mean that I can not BIRTH a breech baby. Make sense? So I carry breech; that doesn't mean I can't birth breech. Maybe it's just the way my body needs to do it ...
jackie - having one breech increases your odds of having another (OK, it doesn't really increase your odds, your odds are the same as they always were, it's just that those of us who carry breeches are the ones who tend to carry breeches). It is also thought that breeches run in families, although it may just be that it's the breech-carrying mamas who have occasion to ask their relatives about whether there's a history (breech is so common that most families are likely to have at least one within living memory).

to the OP - I haven't read all the responses yet so forgive me if I'm repeating what somebody else said or if you've updated again - but vbac and breech do not compound risks, they have nothing to do with each other and don't present new risks in combination. This of course has not actually been studied (insert rolling eyes here). Although all else being equal, I personally would be more comfortable birthing a breech in hospital (with a MW or a progressive OB), I would do it at home before consenting to surgery again. I would feel pretty comfortable birthing a breech at home with a MW who would encourage me to be upright. and if I do ever birth again, it will probably be at home regardless of presentation as I tend to have precipitous births.

If you're looking for evidence based info regarding breech please visit my website - it might help you feel more at peace with whatever decision you come to.

xo
#33 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Robin, yep, knew that a previous breech increased my chances of breech again, especially since there was no obvious reason for his frank presentation. Also, my husband was breech.

OP, hope your babe is head-down! Like I said, I'm not a fan of ultrasounds, but I think in this case, it's completely fine, to both assure your care providers of babe's position as well as give you peace of mind. Good luck!
#34 of 45 Old 02-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Yeah- hope baby IS heads down. Yahoo. Stay down baby!!!
#35 of 45 Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! So I had my u/s yesterday and baby was head down :! His/her back/spine was on my left side, butt under my ribs on the left side, feet dangling down by the head poking out on my right side.

Now we'll just have to see if baby stays this way!!!!

#36 of 45 Old 02-04-2009, 03:21 PM

Yay! This late in the game, odds are she'll stay head-down! And yay for let-side positioning, too!
#37 of 45 Old 02-11-2009, 03:01 AM

Didn't read all responses, but saw that your baby is head down! :

To answer your original question though, yes it is safe and baby would work her/himself into a favorable head down or breech position for birth (even in labor) in most cases!
#38 of 45 Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieM View Post
Yay! This late in the game, odds are she'll stay head-down! And yay for let-side positioning, too!
Thanks Jackie- had another appt today, still head-down but now POSTERIOR! Oh well, as long as baby is head down I won't complain! How are you feeling???

#39 of 45 Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 AM

Doing great. Had a prenatal today and baby was head-down and head was LOA although his body is somewhat transverse. He's a little stinker, but he seems to be long and I'm very short-waisted, so he's situated so he fits, even though it takes about 10 minutes of palpations to figure out what he's doing ...

There are lots of ways to spin a posterior baby! Sometimes just hands-and-knees works, but Spinning Babies has lots of information on other positions. You're so close, good luck!
#40 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mellowyellow!!!

Jackie, yea on that LOA baby!!! Yeah my doula has told me to do lots of hands and knees... at my previous appt baby was head down but had body on my left, and MW's birth assistant thinks that I have a lot of room so baby's butt and body are kinda floating around...

When are you due? My due date is on the 18th but we all know how that goes

#41 of 45 Old 02-14-2009, 03:42 PM

We're 35 weeks today, due March 21.

You're getting so close!
#42 of 45 Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 AM

Happy due date! (Hopefully I've remembered the right day) ...
#43 of 45 Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jackie!!! Well, due date came and went... I am now 41 weeks and 3 days! Baby seems to still be head down but rotates between LOA and OP. I think he/she is OP right now, but I'll take it! Going to my MW on Monday and she will sweep my membranes if labor hasn't started... praying it starts soon! How far are you now, 36-37 weeks? When do you usually go into labor? My first was a failed induction (ending in c/s) at 4 days past my due date... maybe I just bake them for a while!

#44 of 45 Old 03-01-2009, 12:17 AM

We're 37 weeks today! As far as how long I go, I don't know. My first was a scheduled C/S for breech at 39w1d, so no labor for that one. Everyone seems to think I'm gonna go early, but I know better than that. I'm prepared to go overdue, but I really don't want an April baby!

I've been thinking about you -- thanks for the update! Sometimes, just the thought/fear/concern of an impending intervention like a sweep can kickstart your labor. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
#45 of 45 Old 03-01-2009, 02:58 AM

:

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page