would this make you switch providers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 44 Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 AM
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantine View Post
oh, well I'm divorced and living well below the poverty level right now and don't have much as it is so I guess it is all relative.
I don't have much either. Luckily I was working when I was pregnant. I saved every penny from my paychecks AND sold a bunch of stuff, and it still took me over a year to pay off the whole homebirth.

My point is, there are always options. If UC is your best option then go for it! I have daydreamed about it but I just don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I don't have the presence of mind during labor and birth to make executive decisions, so I need a midwife to do that for me.

I suppose if I were utterly broke, and affording a HB wasn't an option, and I couldn't UC, I could pull the ol' "wait till pushing and walk into the ER and let the baby fall out on the floor" routine. But that would be my last resort.
barefootpoetry is offline  
#32 of 44 Old 02-06-2009, 12:40 AM
 
elephantine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
I suppose if I were utterly broke, and affording a HB wasn't an option, and I couldn't UC, I could pull the ol' "wait till pushing and walk into the ER and let the baby fall out on the floor" routine. But that would be my last resort.
Well, I feel lucky to be so at peace with UC now.. since I was dropped by my OB at 30 weeks I am feeling so much better. I do live 2 minutes away from a hospital however, so if there were any problem I could get there fairly quick... I might be more wary if I lived a ways from a hospital. Though my goal is certainly no hospital..

eta: but that is awesome you got to have your HBAC! hope I will be there too in just a few more weeks or so

but to the OP(sorry for the mad derail) -- if you can't reason with your OB to give you more time then I would switch to someone who would if available.
elephantine is offline  
#33 of 44 Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
spu
 
spu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
remind yourself that they can't force you to have surgery. Having frequent nst's might make her more comfortable. When I was in care for my vba2c, they told me let's see, when 40w approaches, what's going on... in my case, going to 42w, like I did with my previous baby, I ran the chances of another almost 11 pounder... and I couldn't push him out last time... so as I approached 38w, I was actually showing favorable signs - soft squishy cervix, 3-4 cm dilated... so I asked for a sweep (had lots of sweeps last time, and they did nothing...) and I had my DS that night. I think they were off on dates as it was a surprise pregnancy.

I'd be tempted to see how things go. You can always stall a few days here, a few days there when the time comes, esp. if things are looking healthy. Do lots of research, and have honest conversations with her about your fears and motivations.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
spu is offline  
#34 of 44 Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 AM
 
mellowyellowmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes, i would switch and not let anyone touch me until my baby decided it was time. i had a vba2c at almost 44 wks! can you imagine if i went along with a repeat c-section at 38 or 44 wks? she was only about 6 lbs! (and yes, i am sure about my dates)!

always, always follow your instincts no matter what anyone else says or thinks!
mellowyellowmama is offline  
#35 of 44 Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
 
jen6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you need to go with your instinct. If you switch, it is unlikely to bother you long-term, but if you don't and things don't go as you would like, you will probably second guess yourself. One thought, from personal experience, whoever you go with, consider the size of the baby in your decision-making. The bigger the baby, the greater the challenge for VBACing successfully. I don't say this to scare you, but to have it be part of the process of planning for how to best manage the VBAC support. All the best to you and your little one.
jen6 is offline  
#36 of 44 Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
 
mellowyellowmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6 View Post
I think you need to go with your instinct. If you switch, it is unlikely to bother you long-term, but if you don't and things don't go as you would like, you will probably second guess yourself. One thought, from personal experience, whoever you go with, consider the size of the baby in your decision-making. The bigger the baby, the greater the challenge for VBACing successfully. I don't say this to scare you, but to have it be part of the process of planning for how to best manage the VBAC support. All the best to you and your little one.
Why do you say this? Why would it be harder to VBAC? Wouldn't it be the same as having your first baby. Plus, there is no sure way to know exactly how big the baby is.
mellowyellowmama is offline  
#37 of 44 Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
 
jen6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowyellowmama View Post
Why do you say this? Why would it be harder to VBAC? Wouldn't it be the same as having your first baby. Plus, there is no sure way to know exactly how big the baby is.
I am sort of hesitant to weigh in, because I do feel like each VBAC experience is unique, and I don't want to scare anyone. You are right, there is no sure fire way to predict weight. The reason I bring up the weight of the baby is that it significantly impacted my attempted VBAC. (Again, this was my personal experience, which I share only as something to consider, not to scare or to stear women towards limiting their options). The size of the baby typically correlates to length of gestation. My son was 41 weeks and 9 lbs., 1 oz. Bigger babies are one of the variables that impact the likely success of a VBAC. I am not suggesting that anyone would deliver her baby early to make sure it was smaller, so please don't misunderstand. What I am saying is that in that process of preparing for the VBAC experience, size will impact things. You can't control for it going in, but you can factor it into subsequent decisions, meaning how long you labor, the risk of rupture, the likelihood that the baby can turn if posterior, etc. All of these things are individual to the woman and the baby, but I wish it was something I had understood better going into my experience.

Getting to experience the back and forth between my body and my son as we worked together to birth him was a momentous experiece for me. I strongly encourage anyone who is considering a VBAC to go for it.
jen6 is offline  
#38 of 44 Old 02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My VBAC baby was bigger than my C-section baby, although they had the same gestation (down to the day). He was significantly easier to birth, too. I'm not sure how you can prepare for it since there is no real way to know how big a baby is until he's born.
barefootpoetry is offline  
#39 of 44 Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
 
Multimomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Home
Posts: 1,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6 View Post
The bigger the baby, the greater the challenge for VBACing successfully.
Only if you have an outdated OB that believes this. Research has shown that baby size does not impact the safety of a vbac. In fact, two of my vbacs were 11 lbs and easier to birth than my 8 and 9 lb babies. And my csection was 9lbs.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

Multimomma is offline  
#40 of 44 Old 02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
 
mellowyellowmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen6 View Post
The size of the baby typically correlates to length of gestation. My son was 41 weeks and 9 lbs., 1 oz. Bigger babies are one of the variables that impact the likely success of a VBAC.
My baby was born at 44 wks (yes, my dates were right) and was under 6 lbs! My smallest.

Anyways, you are right that each experience is different. However, I will have to disagree that a bigger baby means less likely a VBAC! Like a pp mentioned her VBAC was bigger than her c/s babe.
mellowyellowmama is offline  
#41 of 44 Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM
 
meganmarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bergen county, NJ
Posts: 670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree, I really don't understand why size of baby would impact VBAC success EXCEPT in as much as doctors might push different decisions based on irrational fear of baby size. But that comes down to, you need a supportive VBAC care provider that isn't going to start hyperventilating when you hit 40 weeks and/or start measuring larger than "average". If you don't have that, then yes, your VBAC may not succeed.

In reality, the ONLY difference between a VBAC and a non-VBAC is the (slight) increased likelihood of uterine rupture, and I can't think of a single physiological or scientific reason why the size of the baby would alter that risk. I've never seen a study referenced suggesting that uterine rupture rates are higher with babies over xx pounds. Anyone?
meganmarie is offline  
#42 of 44 Old 02-12-2009, 03:57 PM
 
murphysaangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Green Twp, NJ
Posts: 771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that size CAN make a difference in your success trying for VBAC, but not because you'd be more likely to rupture. I am a pretty small person and my 1st labor stalled at 8 cm (then went back down to 7 cm) and my 9lb, 13oz son was NOT coming out vaginally, hence the reason for my c-sec. He went into distress, there was meconium in my water, and we had to transfer to the hospital. I have been told by both my hb midwife of last time and my hospital-based midwife for my current pregnancy that if I have a smaller baby this time around I will be able to successfully vbac. I def. don't want to be incduced at 40 weeks but I am damn sure going to be eating much much healthier and doing what I can during my maternity to NOT grow a big baby this time.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
murphysaangel is offline  
#43 of 44 Old 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM
spu
 
spu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when I vbac'd for the first time, we didn't realize two very important things:

1. the baby's positioning (knew he was head down, that's it.)

2. the baby's size

In my case, my vbac ended in a c, not because of labor stalling or anything like that, but because, unbeknownst to all of us, DS was posterior and asynclitic, and he was 10 lbs 3 oz. So when my water broke, and he descended, and I started to push (all without any urge to bear down...) it just wasn't going to work.

In my second vba2c attempt, DS was still quite large - 8 lbs 10 oz, no where near the 10+ that I had before, but he was optimally positioned, and everything worked.

I was with a mw practice in both cases, backed by o.b.'s just in case I needed a c (or an emergency c as a vbac candidate), and they all said to watch my weight and keep my fingers crossed for a baby less than 10 lbs.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
spu is offline  
#44 of 44 Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 46,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They cannot MAKE you have a c-section. That sounds like a mess with them pre-paying the OB. What if they don't deliver? Do they have to refund them?

Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off