"Your chances are about 10%" - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK...

I think the 10% thing is crap. Mama, u can totally VBAC, but you very well may hasve to fight. No, it's not right, but it is what it is. This experience will ask u to grow in ways you may not want to or think you would need to, but if you (and dh) embrace this journey, it can be amazing.

I'd do whatever it took...and for me that's driving far, having a homebirth, UC, whatever! That may be different for you. You can take ds to appts. with you too. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Sorry to hijack...but I keep seeing "UC" and for the life of me can't figure that one out! Can someone fill me in on that one?

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#33 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Unattended Childbirth

hh2.gif

#34 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Unattended Childbirth
Ahhh, I thought it was something like that...but just not sure!

Thank you!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#35 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unassisted childbirth.

turtlewomyn, I would be careful with stats---it's possible to massage the figures both ways. A midwife might (not saying the one you know does, but I do know MWs/OBs who do things like this) get good stats by being ruthless with risking out. If you start with a great pool of candidates, your rates are likely to be high. My red flags go up for any stats which are far off average.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#36 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With dd1, I pushed for five hours, and my next ob flatly told me that my chances were 20%. I switched providers and vbac'ed.
#37 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Just wanted to offer some support on the pushing. You don't have to push. And even if you want to you don't have to do it till you have the urge. I personally hate pushing so I refuse, even when my body is telling me to lol. If you wait till you HAVE to push you will know how to do it. Your body and instincts take over. I tend to be complete for a long time before I start to push. So just because you hit 10 (even with no lip) doesn't mean its time to push yet. Just let your body do the work its trying to do. (((hugs)))

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#38 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
'So just because you hit 10 (even with no lip) doesn't mean its time to push yet. Just let your body do the work its trying to do. (((hugs)))"

No advice about your current situation (other than the go in pushing mantra) , but I so agree with this. After 5 babies I have pretty much thrown the "rule of 10" into the pile of that has been fed to us.

For me, I have to push *before* 10. My last birth I got to 8 and had no problems with birthing her. With my second birth I was at 9 with a lip and swelled because her head was turned funny. (This ended in a non-emergency transport, drugged, vag birth.) My other three births were all a huge struggle to keep from pushing when I felt like I needed to before I reached the magical "10". And ya know, I have been studying natural birth for 10 years and this pregnancy is the first time I read in print that a woman could dilate past 10. It was a big moment for me.

Anyway, just saying that your body isn't defective.
#39 of 40 Old 02-17-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
'So just because you hit 10 (even with no lip) doesn't mean its time to push yet. Just let your body do the work its trying to do. (((hugs)))"

No advice about your current situation (other than the go in pushing mantra) , but I so agree with this. After 5 babies I have pretty much thrown the "rule of 10" into the pile of that has been fed to us.

For me, I have to push *before* 10. My last birth I got to 8 and had no problems with birthing her. With my second birth I was at 9 with a lip and swelled because her head was turned funny. (This ended in a non-emergency transport, drugged, vag birth.) My other three births were all a huge struggle to keep from pushing when I felt like I needed to before I reached the magical "10". And ya know, I have been studying natural birth for 10 years and this pregnancy is the first time I read in print that a woman could dilate past 10. It was a big moment for me.

Anyway, just saying that your body isn't defective.
*nods* Totally agree. But for what it's worth, I was pushy before 10 as well. That's why the MW tried to stretch my lip out of the way. Still wasn't pushing effectively...... *sigh* Better this time, I'm sure.

Thanks all!
#40 of 40 Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Unassisted childbirth.

turtlewomyn, I would be careful with stats---it's possible to massage the figures both ways. A midwife might (not saying the one you know does, but I do know MWs/OBs who do things like this) get good stats by being ruthless with risking out. If you start with a great pool of candidates, your rates are likely to be high. My red flags go up for any stats which are far off average.
Yeah, I know I have thought about that. I trust this particular midwife though. I had started prenatal care with her last year during a pregnancy that ended with miscarriage and she had provided a statement showing her particular stats. I know there are particular questions to ask at an interview that sort of tease that out (maybe asking about how many were risked out prior to labor???). I don't remember what they were though. She did tell me that her VBAC's don't really have a higher c-section rate than her non-vbacs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page