VBACers - Inducing at 38 weeks? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
You don't have to consent even if you go past 41 weeks. They cannot force you to do anything you just have to have the will to carry on through the drama that goes with saying no. Keep in mind if you are highly stressed about moving, there is a good possibility your body will clamp down and you could easily go past DD.

l

I know that I, personally, don't have to agree. But, to be honest, my husband, who is a doctor and has (unfortunately for me in this situation) worked closely with a local high risk OB practice in town, is on this 41 week bandwagon. It's his baby, too, kwim? I mean, anything I say, he can counter with a slew of 'studies' and such. Not to mention, many many terrible and sad things he has seen. I know this affects him and his decision as he doesn't want that kind of outcome for us.

As well, I hear you about the move causing me to clamp down. I've definitely thought of that too. I'm trying to remain chilled about it. I've already got movers booked, my mom will be here to help, etc. It'll be crazy, but I've been through worse!

My OB practice won't use pit to induce. The one rupture my OB has seen was an induced labor, so she won't use it anymore. So, that's out, at least for me. Which I'm fine with.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 02:48 PM

OP-I am getting basically the same advice from my OB. I skimmed through the responses here, and I think you are in basically the same position as me...I am limited, not necessarily because of my OB, but because of hospital procedure...they limit how 'late' that they want a VBAC at their hospital, and because the OB has privelages, he is required to follow that, but he wants to be proactive in avoiding a CS for me. My OB wants to start checking my cervix for softening and dilation at 37 weeks, then strip my membranes if and when there is an indication that my body is ready...just to help things along...he doesn't want to get in those last weeks and have limited options. I am 36 weeks this week, and I have decided I am ok with that. My husband is not ok with a home birth, and I REALLY don't want another CS, so if this helps me get what I want...I am fine with it. Do want you have to to get what you want.

mama to dd16, ds13, and dd1 born 4/1/09 :
#33 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 PM

thorn - that's odd because it was in the vbac paperwork my previous OB gave me in 2007. I don't think anyone is saying if given the choice of rc/s or induction to choose rc/s, just that rather than going for the most likely induction method to cause problems to start with the lesser methods and work your way up. I think pretty much everyone is saying that if they had to at 41+ they will do whatever they have to, but to start at 36-38 weeks going straight for pitocin is a mistake (speaking as someone who has been through that at 36 weeks when given the induction or c/s ultimatum, choosing induction, w/o questioning what methods or knowing what to ask for that matter, which resulted in DD1 losing a hellalotta blood and a c/s).

catters - I see. I totally understand having to deal with DHs opinions. I finally got DH to agree to a home birth this time, but then couldn't get him to agree to the cost to switch this late in the game Maybe next time

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#34 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansEve View Post
I don't think anyone is saying if given the choice of rc/s or induction to choose rc/s, just that rather than going for the most likely induction method to cause problems to start with the lesser methods and work your way up.
I'm responding to what writteninkursive said:

Quote:
Pitocin isn't only bad for first-time moms, it's bad for ALL moms! It shouldn't even exist...

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#35 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

my OB won't induce. period. for a VBAC. i trust her judgment.
#36 of 41 Old 03-17-2009, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
Or terrible fistulas (still actually common in some parts of Africa where they don't have access to medical care).
One of the reasons they have so many fistulas in Africa may be because of the practice of female genital mutilation and the vagina is sewed up so small the baby has no place to go, and the vaginal/rectal wall can tear easily if there is no place else for the baby to get out.This is troublesome in subsequent births, because the labor may be far shorter than the first birth..
#37 of 41 Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
I'm responding to what writteninkursive said:
Just remember to each their own. I think that black label use drugs should be banned especially the one they use for cervical ripening. I've never heard of a story (IRL) that ended well that used it (forgive me not being able to remember the name of it, we all know how pregnancy brain is ) but I'm sure there are those that swear its fantastic.

Also what is the most frequently used form of induction in modern medicine? Pitocin. It does follow then even if it is by coincidence that there are more pitocin inductions that result in c/s. I wish there was a good study on that, but I'm sure we'll never see a real worthwhile study into such a thing

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

#38 of 41 Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
One of the reasons they have so many fistulas in Africa may be because of the practice of female genital mutilation and the vagina is sewed up so small the baby has no place to go, and the vaginal/rectal wall can tear easily if there is no place else for the baby to get out.This is troublesome in subsequent births, because the labor may be far shorter than the first birth..
ugh you are exactly right. I've tried to get those documentaries out of my mind from college. Definately interesting Anthro class to listen to the whole argument of womens rights vs cultural rights...... but disturbing none the less.

#39 of 41 Old 03-19-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaibaby View Post
Just wondering if other VBACers are experiencing similar suggestions from their midwives/obs?

thanks,
not any MW that i would be willing to have attend my birth. that is just a really bad idea, for many reasons. its the first line of interventions and can cause many problems.

my HBAC was at 42.5 weeks...if they had done that to me, my baby would have been 4.5 weeks early....either naturally or another repeat c/s...but im pretty sure that after 48 hours, they are not going to let you sit around. they are going to want to do MORE.
#40 of 41 Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Pitocin aside, this is a tough decision.

I'll be having a midwife attended hospital birth. All I want is a vaginal birth. That's it. Everything else is gravy. I told the midwife this and she said we could start ripening the cervix at 37 wks. Of course, they don't want me to go past 41 weeks and, yes, I know, they can't make me do anything, but I also know that after 42 weeks the chances of getting my VBAC start falling.

I don't know what to do. I'm 34 weeks now. This is a tough decision.

Married to one of the last good guys left Jim
Mom to AJ 4/07 and Genevieve 5/09

And then: I'm really, really tired of making angels.

But wait, could it really be true?

The whole story at: www.xerxella.blogspot.com
#41 of 41 Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 AM

Sweeping only really works if your cervix is ready. I wouldn't be opposed to it. To me the ultimate goal is a VBAC and if helps you get that goal, I wouldn't resist it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page