We'll have to see if the doc will "let" you VBAC - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know what I'm thinking? That by saying we want a VBAC we remind them of our "inadequacies." What if when approached by a medpro and asked, "oh I see you've had a previous, c/s, so you're planning a RCS" that we respond, "No" (I mean why is it the nurse's business anyway?) or "No I'm planning a natural (normal) birth." Even using the word planning... leaves the door open for them to meddle. But then again, stronger language might make them dig in their heels especially if it's early on in the relationship.

My new OB tried to talk me into RCS at my first appt with him (he is supportive of VBAC but my situation is different in his mind), and though I talked with him about it a bit, I told him that this was a conversation for another time. He need to time to get to know me and understand that I make informed, researched, evidence-based decisions.

Schwarma - glad you found a HBMW that you like! :

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#32 of 49 Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post
You know what I'm thinking? That by saying we want a VBAC we remind them of our "inadequacies."
totally. I think I'll take a PP suggestion and tell them the real reason why I'll be transferring out of their care.

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#33 of 49 Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 PM

I can totally relate.

I had an emergancy C-section with my first child six years ago because the clip monitor slipped off his head and they thought his heart had stopped. So obviously I needed a planned C-section with my daughter because the exact same thing was clearly going to happen again!

I waited 2hrs for my OB appointment and just as I was about to walk out, he walked in with the nurse. He didn't look at me, picked up my notes, said to the nurse "book her in for surgery two weeks before her due date" and started to walk out! I said in a very loud voice "EXCUSE ME BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A C-SECTION" and he looked at me like he was surprised to see me in the room. When I told him that I wanted to have a HBAC he actually snorted! He then said that he wouldn't allow it and that if I did give birth at home he would make sure that no midwife came out to help me deliver. There was no way that we could afford a private midwife so Dh tried to work out a compromise by asking if we could instead have a VBAC in the hospital. He said we could but there would be "no faffing about with walking about, positions or water". I was told that I would have to come in as soon as I felt the first contraction, immediately have an epidural and an episiotomy as standard - all of which would have ended in more and more intervention.

I was so upset, especially because they wouldn't allow me to go past my due date and I ended up being bullied into that planned c-section after all. We won't be making that mistake again!
#34 of 49 Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiamama View Post
I waited 2hrs for my OB appointment and just as I was about to walk out, he walked in with the nurse. He didn't look at me, picked up my notes, said to the nurse "book her in for surgery two weeks before her due date" and started to walk out!
Good thing we have all these doctors to provide us with prenatal "care", huh? I mean...if we didn't have that care, something might go wrong. Ugh.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#35 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiamama View Post
I waited 2hrs for my OB appointment and just as I was about to walk out, he walked in with the nurse. He didn't look at me, picked up my notes, said to the nurse "book her in for surgery two weeks before her due date" and started to walk out! I said in a very loud voice "EXCUSE ME BUT I DON'T WANT TO HAVE A C-SECTION" and he looked at me like he was surprised to see me in the room. When I told him that I wanted to have a HBAC he actually snorted! He then said that he wouldn't allow it and that if I did give birth at home he would make sure that no midwife came out to help me deliver. There was no way that we could afford a private midwife so Dh tried to work out a compromise by asking if we could instead have a VBAC in the hospital. He said we could but there would be "no faffing about with walking about, positions or water". I was told that I would have to come in as soon as I felt the first contraction, immediately have an epidural and an episiotomy as standard - all of which would have ended in more and more intervention.

I was so upset, especially because they wouldn't allow me to go past my due date and I ended up being bullied into that planned c-section after all. We won't be making that mistake again!
You ended up staying with him? I can't believe this. So sorry you went thru that mama.
#36 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowyellowmama View Post
You ended up staying with him? I can't believe this. So sorry you went thru that mama.
Thank you.

The British NHS is so underfunded, particularly when it comes to maternity care that you more or less get who you're given. In our area there used to be at least one maternity ward and one birthing clinic for each local hospital but they have all been closed down bar one maternity ward at our local hospital. In fact there was just recently a HUGE hoo-har in the papers because women are actually being turned away whilst in labour because there are no beds available and sometime those too advanced to be turned away are giving birth in corridors! Private health care is prohibitively expensive in the UK and just not an option for most. We just have to make the best of things, hope we get lucky and fight tooth 'n' nail when we don't get lucky.

I'd just like to say though, the midwives were and are incredibly hardworking and generally fabulous not to mention under stupid amounts of pressure with ridiculous work loads. :
#37 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 02:56 PM

Did you complain to PALS? He was full of it. Midwifery duty of care means they HAVE to send a MW.

It really, really angers me when NHS consultants pull these stunts--IMO it's even worse than when US OBs do it.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#38 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 03:36 AM

I VBAC'ed 6 months ago and it went fine. I saw the same ob as with my first birth, and was much more informed on decisions and health issues. I was discouraged from vbac'ing but I stuck to my guns. At 5 months i got a consult (I had to go to Portland, OR.. about an hour from where I live.. as they are one of two hospitals in the state to offer VBAC), and the last month or so started going to Portland for my office visits as well.

Labor was "mechanically" induced instead of chemically, and everything was taken slow and it was fine.

I don't think anything badly of my OB at home, she just had to cover her ass, and didn't want to get my hopes up.. she was honestly happy for me that it all worked out.
#39 of 49 Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Co-sleeping-cloth-diapering-pumping-non-vaxing Mama to Cricket 1-18-07 and Mauri 5-27-09
Married to my favorite SAHD, Outnumbered by woolies
#40 of 49 Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM

I was forced in to a csect when I really did not want one. They got cruel. They even called CPS on me claiming I did not want or love my baby. It was awful.

If I did it over again, I would shut off my phones and cut them out. They had told me my entire pregnancy that vbac was fine, and then pulled this on me just over 3 weeks to my due date. They scheduled me a csect right away and pulled all this. I was in shock because up until then, they seemed nice and fine and ok.

This time, if the current doctor pulls the vbac rug out of me, I will do a UC before I will consent to a csect. But I also have a fall back on doctor in mind. He is a ways away or I would be with him already.
#41 of 49 Old 04-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Aye, I feel I'll be approaching this kind of stuff as well, if I can ever get pregnant again after my last c section...lol.

They just don't like VBAC's at all in my locality. I'll probably either have to show up pushing, or go to a hospital 1 and 1/2 hours away to get one. Thank goodness I ahve a really good friend who is a midwife!

*HUGE hugs* - we will prevail! XXX
Off-topic, non-VBAC crasher here - Jay, does R know the VBAC policy at the hospital? I've got the standing orders sheet up on my computer in front of me, I can send it to you if you want, just so you know what you're up against (knowledge is power! Just so you don't tell anyone you got that knowledge from me! )

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#42 of 49 Old 04-08-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
This time, if the current doctor pulls the vbac rug out of me, I will do a UC before I will consent to a csect. But I also have a fall back on doctor in mind. He is a ways away or I would be with him already.
Wow! How horrible that they played that dirty trick on you!

Can you hire a MW?

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#43 of 49 Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM

:Reading this thread makes me mad!

I had a csection for DS#1- I didn't look into the c-section rates at the closest hospital, and surprise, I had a csection because they pressured me into an epidural right away, pitocin, couldn't leave the bed, etc... Labor stalled. Big shock, huh?

DS#2 was a VBAC, but I had to fight for it. I changed hospitals as the first hospital doesn't allow VBACs at all. I told them I wanted a vbac from the beginning. They seemed OK with it, but then called me with an appt for a repeat C anyways. I cancelled it.
I ended up going into labour the day the C had been scheduled, and the Dr gloated.
I labored for 12 hours, and they started talking about c sections soon into it. I said no, as long as baby is OK I want to continue to labour.
by the time I was 8cm- about 11 hours in he was having decels (which is pretty normal since his HR came back up in between cntx. )
They said they were going to call the c-section team in and get me ready. :
When they came back in 1/2 an hour- I was 10 and ready to push! He was out in 2 pushes!

This time I changed Dr's again. Different hospital too.
I had my first Ob visit last week... recommended by a local doula and a couple ladies at LLL. She asked if I wanted a c-section or vbac. I said Vbac, she gave me a thumbs up, said that since I already had one I had a great chance of having another, and she wouldn't suggest a c-section unless this baby is breech.

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09
#44 of 49 Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Kittykorat- Yay for your VBAC!!! :

I know what you mean about the stories of bad obstetrics irritating you. What's even more irritating to me- is totally elective c/s! I was just reading on babycenter about development for my gestation and saw they have a Nov DDC. Anyhoo, i popped my head in and saw a thread about what the earliest date you can deliver by elective c/s!! RIDICULOUS!!! I want to scream at that kinda ignorance!

#45 of 49 Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM

I'm only with this group until my DH's insurance kicks in (mid-May) then I'll switch to a MW! I'll probably dump this office sooner rather than later if they're going to start discouraging me at this point!

Haha! Get outta there girlie!!!

I guess some OBs "encourage" VBAC, but my encouraging OB ended up screwing me over last minute by telling me my baby was too big (7 lb, 6 oz as it turns out) and my bp was too high (140/90) to birth vaginally. He was just lying because he had to leave for sunny California for his 2-week vacation the day after my c/s at 37 weeks! And he acted all sorts of supportive all through the pregnancy! This time, I'm MWing it all the way. I don't deal with MDs, DOs, OBs anymore! Just MWs and doulas! :

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#46 of 49 Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post
Unfortunately this is the attitude of most OBs.... I was planning a hospital VBAC with my OB who had seemed pro-VBAC. Then around 20 weeks with #2 he asked me if I was "still" thinking of VBAC-ing, to which I replied "Of course!". He then brought out a VBAC waver for me to sign listing scary things that can happen during a VBAC (funny the doctors never have you sign an equally scary waver for repeat C-sections, which btw carry more risks than a VBAC). Then he started putting restrictions on my VBAC like I can only have a VBAC if I go into labor before my due date (haha! good thing I switched to a midwife as I didn't go into labor until 42 weeks and 5 days!), and the baby had to measure 7 1/2 lbs or less via u/s (again haha- as my babies have been 9 lbs and 8 lbs 12 oz at birth!), etc. I knew there was no way I would have a VBAC unless I switched to a midwife... and then once I learned how my chances in a hospital would be diminished (because of the pressure from back-up OBs and time limits, etc), I planned a HBAC, the best decision I ever made!!!
That is EXACTLY what happened to my twin sis. The doc totally went along with her "whim" at the beginning, and then slowly, at each appointment, some new "horrifying" info was shared, or a restriction was put on her- "the baby can't be bigger than x" - um her first was I think 9 lbs something so the doc knew from the beginning this was likely with the second

Anyway to make a long story short she switched to a homebirth midwife at 30 something weeks- it was pretty far along-maybe 35weeks? and had a successful 7 hour labor at home I followed with my own HBAC a year later and skipped the whole doctor's office routine the second time a round since I knew what was a comin'

Just wanted to the OP take the nurse's words with a grain of salt. You'll do just fine mama!:

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
#47 of 49 Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 AM

oh that is insane! sounds like that nurse is heavily misinformed about the concern and danger of an unnecessary c/s!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#48 of 49 Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericswifey27 View Post
Just wanted to the OP take the nurse's words with a grain of salt. You'll do just fine mama!:
Oh I did! After that appointment I came home and told DH that there was no way I was staying with that office! Then I called and interviewed MWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
oh that is insane! sounds like that nurse is heavily misinformed about the concern and danger of an unnecessary c/s!
Right? And this was after she told me that she had 3 c/s...no wonder...

Today is my first "official" MW appointment! I really liked this MW, and she's very few transfers in all her years.

#49 of 49 Old 04-11-2009, 12:54 PM

Oh, I hear you. My m/w even said that they need my c/s report before than can officially give me the ok, despite it being almost 5 years ago and having a VBAC since then.

edited: oh, just read your last comment! Hurray and I hope the m/w visit went well!

Kelly - Wife to a wonderful man and Mom to a c-sect boy (3/3/05), hospital vbac.gif girl (12/20/07), h20homebirth.gif girl (11/4/09), expecting #4 EDD 7/15/13. We homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page