We'll have to see if the doc will "let" you VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 03-17-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just came from my first "official" OB visit, after all the health history info, the nurse who was taking all my info down casually said, "oh, since you had a c/s with your first, you're going to have a repeat c/s?" To which I said, um, no, I want a VBAC. She said "Oh, no, I always try to discourage them" and I said, "Yah, I realize docs don't like them" and she went on and on about how even though there's only a 1% chance of rupture, when a rupture occurs it's absolutely "catastrophic". Really? I didn't think so.

Then she went on to say that, first the doc would have to review my previous recs to see if she would "let" me attempt a VBAC. What crap! Is this why our c/s rate is climbing??? Does no one encourage VBACs except MWs???

Rant over. :

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 03-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ARG...unbelievable!!!!!! Well...completely believable since these days it seems to be what is convienient is what's "best" and not what's best for mama and baby anymore!! Boooo!!!! I just can't believe that nurse actually said the words, "we try to discourage them!" SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!?!?

ARG!!!!! So, do you know anyone in your area that has VBAC'd? I see you are planning an HBAC...I don't know how that works, so does that mean you'll just be going to this OB for check ups and then when labor begins you just don't go? Do you think you'll still go to this doctor after this experience even if you're doing an HBAC?

I guess I was lucky to have an OB that was really supportive of a VBAC (she actually suggests to mamas to attempt them!)

keep us up to date!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#3 of 49 Old 03-17-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNHall View Post
ARG!!!!! So, do you know anyone in your area that has VBAC'd? I see you are planning an HBAC...I don't know how that works, so does that mean you'll just be going to this OB for check ups and then when labor begins you just don't go? Do you think you'll still go to this doctor after this experience even if you're doing an HBAC?
I'm only with this group until my DH's insurance kicks in (mid-May) then I'll switch to a MW! I'll probably dump this office sooner rather than later if they're going to start discouraging me at this point! :

So lucky that you found a supportive OB!

I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 01:38 AM

Oh that would so piss me off! I wish I could formulate a better response to your post but I am so steamed I really can't!

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#5 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
Then she went on to say that, first the doc would have to review my previous recs to see if she would "let" me attempt a VBAC. What crap! Is this why our c/s rate is climbing??? Does no one encourage VBACs except MWs???

Rant over. :
Yes, that's one of the major reasons. The docs are afraid to let women labor who have been cut open(especially if they augment the labor with pitocin) and the insurance companies are putting pressure on them to cut the women open again, cuz it is easier to win in a court of law, it makes more money for the shareholders of the hospital, and it's faster. I think those are the three greatest reasons for the huge rise in sections. If you really want a VBAC, don't see an OB, see a homebirth midwife. It's the only practical way you would probably get a VBAC.If you have to transfer, then so be it, but you will have given yourself the best chance to VBAC...
#6 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM

Unfortunately this is the attitude of most OBs.... I was planning a hospital VBAC with my OB who had seemed pro-VBAC. Then around 20 weeks with #2 he asked me if I was "still" thinking of VBAC-ing, to which I replied "Of course!". He then brought out a VBAC waver for me to sign listing scary things that can happen during a VBAC (funny the doctors never have you sign an equally scary waver for repeat C-sections, which btw carry more risks than a VBAC). Then he started putting restrictions on my VBAC like I can only have a VBAC if I go into labor before my due date (haha! good thing I switched to a midwife as I didn't go into labor until 42 weeks and 5 days!), and the baby had to measure 7 1/2 lbs or less via u/s (again haha- as my babies have been 9 lbs and 8 lbs 12 oz at birth!), etc. I knew there was no way I would have a VBAC unless I switched to a midwife... and then once I learned how my chances in a hospital would be diminished (because of the pressure from back-up OBs and time limits, etc), I planned a HBAC, the best decision I ever made!!!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#7 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
If you have to transfer, then so be it, but you will have given yourself the best chance to VBAC...
Yah, I feel even if I stay with them (ie "shadow care") I'd still be doing myself a disservice, kwim? All the negativity that they'd be feeding me for the remaining 33 weeks would be too much. I know with the HB MW I'm interviewing that I'd get nothing but positive affirmations.

: If I did have to transfer, I wouldn't be totally given the bad treatment, would I? I mean, like a UC'er? Since I would atleast be having a MW following me, I wonder if that would make a difference? (Not that I'm really concerned, just for a realistic expectation)

#8 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post
I planned a HBAC, the best decision I ever made!!!
Thank you. This is EXACTLY what I need to hear.

#9 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yah, I feel even if I stay with them (ie "shadow care") I'd still be doing myself a disservice, kwim? All the negativity that they'd be feeding me for the remaining 33 weeks would be too much. I know with the HB MW I'm interviewing that I'd get nothing but positive affirmations.
When I first switched to a MW I was thinking about doing shadow care but my doula talked me out of it... so glad she did. I know my OB would have scared me into another c/s (I am a very paranoid person!).

#10 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
: If I did have to transfer, I wouldn't be totally given the bad treatment, would I? I mean, like a UC'er? Since I would atleast be having a MW following me, I wonder if that would make a difference? (Not that I'm really concerned, just for a realistic expectation)
You very well could be subject to bad treatment. I've heard many a story, first hand, from mamas in emergent homebirth transfers(with midwives) treated terribly. I had a non-emergent transfer but I was mostly treated well. Shift change brought a nurse that ignored me and left me sitting in the blood soaked chux pad that I was stitched up in for quite a while.

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

#11 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingmama05 View Post
You very well could be subject to bad treatment. I've heard many a story, first hand, from mamas in emergent homebirth transfers(with midwives) treated terribly. I had a non-emergent transfer but I was mostly treated well. Shift change brought a nurse that ignored me and left me sitting in the blood soaked chux pad that I was stitched up in for quite a while.

Please write a letter to the hospital administrator, the head of whatever department you were in & cc whatever local agency oversees healthcare/hospitals where you are at.
#12 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingmama05 View Post
That's horrible. I hate that mothers can't be given the respect they deserve when it comes to childbirth.

#13 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
wbg

Run Mama Run!!! Find a new HCP!!! You and your baby deserve so much better!!! You deserve support and encouragement and a trust based relationship!!!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#14 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

In defense of the OB (I can't even believe I started a sentence that way), Obstetrics is a surgical specialty. Asking an OB for a VBAC is like asking a knee surgeon for physiotherapy. Not bloody likely to happen, as it is not in the job description. If you want someone to care for your normal birth after cesarean, you have to find a normal birth care provider ie. family doc or midwife.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#15 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
If you really want a VBAC, don't see an OB, see a homebirth midwife. It's the only practical way you would probably get a VBAC.If you have to transfer, then so be it, but you will have given yourself the best chance to VBAC...
this. hbacs are DO the way to go!!

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#16 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahstw View Post
Asking an OB for a VBAC is like asking a knee surgeon for physiotherapy.
Never looked at it that way...interesting!

#17 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
It depends on the hospital and doctor you transfer to. I transferred with my HB attempt, and I was treated very well. BUT, 1)it wasn't an emergent situation, 2) I transferred to a smaller hosptil in a different town (about a 30 minute drive), and 3) it was the hospital that was recommended by my MW for non-emergent transfer...she had a doc that she worked with there and with whom I had already had a few prenatal visits with (just so that I wouldn't get a complete stranger who thought I was a kook if I did need a transfer).

Anyway, I guess my point is... go with HBAC and talk to your MW to see if she has a positive relationship with any OBs... then maybe consider doing one prenatal with the OB (mostly so that you can show him/her that you're not completely uneducated, and that you are making your decisions carefully... I think this is largely what contributed to the positive treatment I received when I transferred).

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#18 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Huh. I'd be interested in hearing the doctor's take on his staff's "instruction" about VBAC. I would be sure, before you write off the doc, that the staff has the same opinion as the doc about stuff. Could be that they do...but it could also be that the doctor has no idea that his nurse is trying to scare people off of VBAC. I would have a conversation with the care provider about the experience you had on your intake!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#19 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
Anyway, I guess my point is... go with HBAC and talk to your MW to see if she has a positive relationship with any OBs...
I'll be sure to ask her about her OB pick when I meet her on Sat. Honestly, I'm curious if there are any here (Houston, TX).

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
Huh. I'd be interested in hearing the doctor's take on his staff's "instruction" about VBAC.
Totally! I'm hoping she's not speaking for the whole practice, but I'm afraid she might be. When she first stated that she always discourages (even bragging that she's talked many women out of VBACing I told her I knew she probably wouldn't, and then I said docs usually don't either. And she basically said that the docs don't like to do them because of the "risk". I just smiled and nodded. But, what popped into my mind was a comeback about something re risks of complications from a rcs, but I decided I just wasn't going to start that argument- she's probably so brainwashed that it'd be like arguing with a wall.

#20 of 49 Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I would have a conversation with the care provider about the experience you had on your intake!
I think I'll do just that. I have an appt in 4 wks with the actual doc.

#21 of 49 Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Just also wanted to add that it's never too late to switch providers... I switched between 25-30 weeks from an OB to a midwife. And this was an OB practice I have been with since I was 17 years old (I am 31), and have always trusted, etc. It was not a light decision on my part as I have always loved this OBGyn practice, but I knew I would not get my VBAC if I stayed with them for this last pregnancy. They are excellent surgeons (did a wonderful job on my cone biopsy when I had cervical dyslpasia, and also with my D&C's when I had miscarriages), and always have been very kind to me. But experts in natural childbirth they are not, nor do they have much confidence in a woman's body, kwim? I definitely made the right decision by switching- I got my HBAC, you know? Don't be left thinking you don't have any options left!

#22 of 49 Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 PM

what garbage.

i suppose even with some dr's ignorance is bliss. you have a MUCH higher risk of losing the baby through amniocentesis than you do through a rupture. (1/60 vs 1-2/1000) i hate completely misused stats as scare tactics when it comes to vbacs.

yeesh.

2vbac mama to dd1-5 3/4, dd2 3, and ds- 07/10/09
#23 of 49 Old 03-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Aye, I feel I'll be approaching this kind of stuff as well, if I can ever get pregnant again after my last c section...lol.

They just don't like VBAC's at all in my locality. I'll probably either have to show up pushing, or go to a hospital 1 and 1/2 hours away to get one. Thank goodness I ahve a really good friend who is a midwife!

*HUGE hugs* - we will prevail! XXX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#24 of 49 Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 PM

Shop around. I have found a birth center near me - they won't let you do a VBAC in the birthing center but their midwives will follow you in a local hospital for a VBAC provided it has been 18 months between deliveries. Given the speed with which I get pregnant (which is far from speedy) that works for me.

I am not opposed to a hospital birth per say - I had a great one with my son.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#25 of 49 Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 PM

I agree you should "shop around" but let ICAN help you! Find your local group through the internet and join them. They will know who the local VBAC supportive OBs and MWs are. I did this and have an awesome OB and the ICAN community is invaluable as you prepare for your VBAC.

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#26 of 49 Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 PM

Yes, I would walk away and never go back!
#27 of 49 Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowyellowmama View Post
Yes, I would walk away and never go back!
Thank you. I interviewed a HB MW and she seems awesome. I'm almost positive we're going to go with her! And I definitely won't even be calling this office again!

#28 of 49 Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I interviewed a HB MW and she seems awesome. I'm almost positive we're going to go with her! And I definitely won't even be calling this office again!
If you're up for it, please let them know why you are leaving. If they are open to it, maybe they will change. If they are not, at least you have the opportunity to assert your power!
#29 of 49 Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
:
#30 of 49 Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Your OB's nurse sounds just like my OB's nurse! I remember my DH & I going for our first appointment to confirm the pregnancy & we had to just see her(she's also a NP) because my OB was out recovering form a hip replacement. So, when she was reviewing my records she saw my first son was born by C-section & said "you'll be having a repeat c-section". She didn't even discuss VBAC as an option and kinda smirked when I firmly said, "No, I want a VBAC". She said "well, your c-section was for CPD and that means your pelvis is too small to vaginally birth. We will see what Dr. has to say" Well, I was pretty mad after this appointment and even called ICAN to get info on other OBs and midwives. Well, my OB was back when I went to the next appointment and he walked into the exam room, said congrats and asked how we wanted to have the baby. I stated I wanted a VBAC and he was totally fine with that. I did tell him that his nurse was negative about VBAC & he went on to say he does VBACs on a case by case basis. We went on to have our second son by VBAC with no problems(so much for CPD-haha). I don't blame you for going with a homebirth midwife though. If we were to have another baby(no plans, so it would be a surprise) we would consider using a homebirth midwife. Good luck

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page