Better to C-sec or VBA2C? ~ EDITED with new question~ - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am due for my vba2c any day now (due date is 3/31 or 4/2). I feel so positive and empowered right now (and more than a little impatient!) that I can do this. When I have more of an attention span I will post more, and will hopefully be sharing a vba2c birth story in less than a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Actually because I am pregnant again and having this problem my ob has sent me to some pregnant friendly physio. Hope it helps.
#33 of 40 Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKrista View Post
What you wrote gave me chills. It really speaks to me. I wish someone would have said this to me when I was attempting my VBAC. Maybe they did and I didn't listen. Hopefully I'll remember the lessons I've learned whenever I get pregnant and have my VBA2C.
I'm glad mama! You can have a VBA2C and you will find your way when you are on that journey. I don't speak up often enough about it, but when I do, I am very passionate!
#34 of 40 Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know I've read something about risks after 3 c-sections specifically but of course I can't find it...

If you haven't checked out the plus size pregnancy site (really for all women though), I recommend you do. Here is the specific link:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/C...vbacindex.html

She has a lot of info. on VBAC after multiple sections. She herself had a VBA2C after two trials of labor.

BTW, I see on the finding your tribe section that we are a few hours away from each other!
Thanks for the information.........and "Cool!" about being close by!
#35 of 40 Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 PM

It's waaaaay safer for you to VBA2C than to repeat c/s. And it's also way safer for any future babies you have, since your risk of placenta previa and accreta skyrocket after having repeat cesareans!
You sound kind of nonchalant about it, which is fine. To each, his own. But in my experience, you have to hardcore WANT a VBA2C to get one. Feeling very casual about it or uncertain generally leads to some doctor convincing you that you need another c-section.
You don't have a lot of time left, so if you're going to VBA2C, you need to start preparing! It's important for you to know your rights if you realllly want a VBA2C. Hospitals aren't generally very VBA2C friendly, and MD's and OB's and DO's aren't either, in my experience. So if you really want this, I'd say find a midwife pronto and get a plan ready.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#36 of 40 Old 04-14-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:

I wish I could find more specifics regarding research after 3 c-sections but I can't seem to find it. Sorry.

I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the possibility that no provider will take me. And I plan on being picky this time too. I don't want someone who will just take me, I want their true support so I actually have a chance to be successful. I've thought about traveling midwives or traveling myself to someone who is supportive. I know they do exist. I've already told DH to prepare to travel to Sweden if we need to or to do it ourselves (not sure on that one)
There's an excellent dr in Atlanta that does vbamc for his clients regularly. you wouldn't need to go to Sweden.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#37 of 40 Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 AM

I was in same boat as you....told first baby would never fit--scheduled C/S. Didn't know any better--too trusting of doctor; not educated enough myself.

2nd baby 15 mos. later. Told by OB I "had" to have another C/S. She lied to me. There were plenty of other docs. in state who would have let me VBAC.

3rd baby 21 mos. later. Bound and determined to avoid another C/S. I wanted to feel a contraction. I wanted things to be natural and drug-free. I read like a mad woman. And....

Just wanted to announce that on April 7, I had a beautiful, complication-free completely natural VBA2C.
I live in Oklahoma City. There is one dr. in the entire state who would take me as a patient. My husband and I did lots and lots of research beforehand and I decided I wanted a natural L&D.

At 5 a.m. on 4/7 my water broke. My husband stayed home from work and took care of our 1 & 2-year-old boys. I rested and just puttered around the house that day. Had some contrax but nothing terrible and nothing regular. At 4:30 p.m. my MIL took the boys to her house. At 5 p.m., my contrax were suddenly 10 min. apart. At 6 p.m. they were 5 min. apart. At about 7 we arrived at the hospital.

I was 100% effaced and 3 cm dilated. I was disappointed to hear that I wasn't dilated more. I hadn't planned to be at the hospital until I was 8 cm or so (at least!). At 8:30 p.m. our doula arrived. At 10:20 or so, I was bearing down involuntarily with some of the contrax. They checked me and I was complete! They let me labor down a while longer. After only 4-5 pushes, my gorgeous son, Hudson Cash was born. He was 21 in. long and 7 lb. 5 oz. After only 5 hours of hard labor, my son had arrived!

After the delivery I wanted to stand on a mountain and scream, "I am woman; hear me roar!" I did it! I did what most of the medical establishment said was "dangerous, risky, irresponsible"....you name it. But I'd done my research; I was more comfortable with the risks of a VBA2C than a ERCS. And I did tons of research on common obstetrical interventions and the risks of those; how to avoid them....how to have a successful natural L&D. It all paid off!!

And the recovery after a vaginal delivery! WOW! TOTALLY different than the recovery after a C/S!!! My husband and I can't believe it.

So now we're at home having our babymoon. Our 2 older boys are getting to know their new brother. I'm on cloud 9.

Thanks to all the beautiful women on this forum and in ICANN who offered encouragement, advice, reassurance. I owe much of my success to you. Women are amazing creatures!

Maybe this is some inspiration and encouragement to you. You can do this. You were born to birth babies. God created a perfect process; it's these darn OB's who get in the way of things and screw it all up! You can do it!!!!!!!!
#38 of 40 Old 04-17-2009, 03:04 AM

I had to search forever because I just couldn't remember where I'd seen this! Finally found it in my DDC...

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1067924

Look on post #7

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#39 of 40 Old 04-17-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormajor View Post
but, to each their own. i'd still take a slightly increased risk of c/s over the possiblity of a c/s under general because that's an idea that scares the daylights out of me. personal preference, though. my aunt had to finagle to get a c/s under general because she didn't want to be awake for it. i don't get it, but i'm glad she got her wish.
I had an epidural during my first labour, and by the time I "needed" a c-section, the epidural wasn't effective enough and I had to be put under. So, I wouldn't suggest having an epidural solely to prevent general anaesthesia.
#40 of 40 Old 04-18-2009, 09:14 PM

I also had 2 C/S under my belt. I never went into labor with either child. First, told he was "too big to fit." 2nd, told I *had* to b/c the first was. But I had this profound sadness that I could be a mother of three children and never know what a contraction felt like. So I started doing research....and more research....and more reading.....and decided that I wanted to attempt a VBA2C.

After I studied the UR rates for a VBA2C, learned about the health benefits of a natural labor and delivery for the baby and me, I was sold. Another important factor for me was the fact that I had 2 toddlers to care for, too. I can't imagine caring for them in addition to a newborn and recovering from major surgery again--particularly if that surgery was not medically indicated.

There's one ob in our state who would take me as a patient. I was worried I wouldn't go into labor this time; I hadn't with the other 2. But my water broke 8 days before my due date. Hard contrax didn't start until 13 hours later. And he was born 5 hours after that. All in all, I couldn't have asked for a better l&d!!

I did LOTS of work on getting my head in the right place for this birth. I read and read and read about natural labor and delivery and how to deal with it. I was like you--didn't think I could handle the pain. In fact, my previous OB had written in my chart that "patient has a low pain tolerance." So then I had that stuck in my head, reverberating around. So I just had to resolve all these issues and there are several books out there that can help you do that.

I think what it boils down to, at the end of the day, is educating yourself (don't just listen to medical staff (ob's, etc.) b/c they'll only give you the info. they want you to have) and making a decision that you and your husband feel comfortable with. You have to decide which set of risks you're more comfortable with. For me and my husband, we felt more comfy with the risks of a VBA2C. Many women are comfortable with the risks of an ERCS and that's their prerogative.

I guess I just would hate for you to make a decision based on fear, either way you go.

My recovery from my VBA2C has been an absolute dream! Don't get me wrong, I have some discomfort but it's NOTHING compared to the C/S's!! I've been able to cook and clean for my family, to get out and about, nursing my newborn has been MUCH easier and healthier. Plus there's just the mental satisfaction (and emotional) that I did it. So, retrospectively, it was a great decision for my family.

Praying you peacefully make a decision that you feel comfortable with. This is definitely a journey! But I guess at the end of my life, I'll be glad I was forced to take it. I learned a lot about myself and about the medical establishment and I think I'll be able to apply the lessons to the rest of my life.

Wishing you all the best!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page