How did you decide to HBAC vs. VBAC in hospital? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going to have an HBAC because the only reason for my first c/s is that I left my house. I feel threatened in a hospital. I can't relax enough for labor to progress when I feel like I have to fight to defend my right to choose how I labor, how long I'm in labor, etc. Maybe if the medwives I was seeing when I was in labor had offered some kind of midwifey support like ANY kind of advice other than "Labor is slow so let's get some pit so you don't become exhausted." ((?? and PIT isn't going to exhaust me?!)) I might have been able to relax, stop fighting, and have my baby. But I felt like I was fighting and being ignored anyhow so... obviously I can't handle a hospital environment. Maybe it's because my mom's a midwife and I just know too much. I didn't want to go to the hospital in the first place, but since I was active duty I didn't have much choice. I just focused on the AWESOME tubs they have there and tried to think about how nice it would be to labor in a tub big enough for me, DH and my giant pregnant belly... and then when I had to fight about the tub, it all just went downhill and I ended up getting a c/s against my will, and I was 100% certain then and now that I didn't need it, but when they hold you down till you "consent", there's not much you can do, you know?

So there isn't a chance that I'll be going to any hospital when I'm in labor unless I think someone's going to end up dead if I don't.
If there were any birth centers on my island, I might consider going to a birth center, but there simply isn't a single one. So, it's home for me, whenever I manage to get knocked up again.

I've already found an awesome naturopathic doc/midwife who works with an acupuncturist/doula, and we're working to regulate whatever's wonky in my body so we can have our next baby. IF I need any help in labor-- it's probably going to be acupuncture. I'm terribly interested to see how that works out.
#32 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Well, I did some thinking again last night and tried to sort out feelings for the thousand time and this is what I came up with.
I did a big mistake the first time - I went to the hospital too early and I trusted my OB. So I stopped blaming everybody else for the catastrofic birth I had and the horror c-sec which I felt entirely, sedation didn't work. I put the blame on me, cause I did my choice to go to the hospital completely naive and oblivious for all the risks I am taking.
So I had exactly what I went for - a hospital birth that failed and ended up in c-secton.
I finally realised that I owe an appology to myself and my body that I put us through this. But on the other hand I would never know what I know now if I didn't go through ths experience.
And I am happy finally and put the cross on it. It is in the past. This time around when I get pregnant I will stay home and pamper myseld and have the birth I want not what I should have according to the hospital staff or the OB.
I look at my HBAC as a little treat for my body and soul. And they deserve that
#33 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM

I chose a HBAC b/c I did not want to fight, I had no reason to have to fight for what was safest for myself and baby. I wanted the option of a waterbirth. I wanted walk. I wanted to be in my own bed. I knew I could do it and wanted no one offering me drugs, trying to cut me. I knew at home I could VBAC.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#34 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 PM

When I was pg with dd I knew I wanted an HBAC. After my experience with the OB I saw when I was pg with ds I didn't feel that I could find an OB that I could trust.

Then, after I made the decision to have an HBAC I did a little bit of research into the local hospitals. Every single one of their "policies" made me uncomfortable - mandatory FHM, mandatory separation from baby/trip to the nursery, etc. I didn't feel that I'd be able to let go and focus on what I needed to if I was in the hospital.

After my HBAC with dd I *knew* it was the only choice for me. I absolutely need to be left alone when I'm in labor - too many people standing around and looking at me makes me feel like I'm being "watched" and need to "perform" or something like that. My mw was totally sensitive to this and spent most of her time in another room. I loved that I didn't have to ask her, she just knew.

Now that I'm pg with #3 (oops!) I did briefly consider a birth center (if they'd "do" a VBAC), but tbh I just can't picture myself leaving my home while in labor. We'll be having another HBAC because both dh and I agree it's the best/safest option for us.
#35 of 37 Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
I chose a HBAC b/c I did not want to fight, I had no reason to have to fight for what was safest for myself and baby...
:
I've scheduled a section, and I'm still fighting with them. It's so unbelievably frustrating and demoralizing. I thought the one plus to this section would be that, unlike any of my others, I chose it. I thought I'd be able to at least push things in a better direction. Surgery's in less than six weeks, and I'm really not optimistic.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#36 of 37 Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM

I'm still deciding, too - only 7 weeks, so still plenty of time to work it out. I definitely would prefer a hospital VBAC if I could find an open, honest supportive midwife or doctor. I don't really want to labor at home, it just doesn't seem like a relaxing, comfortable setup. I'm with snowmom5. Also, I really don't have money enough to do without insurance paying some of the cost.

But I figure I'll find a way to make money work out if HBAC seems like the best option. And while it's not my ideal environment, it's not that bad either.

My decision will ultimately depend on the supportiveness of the most VBAC-friendly OB / midwife that I can find.
#37 of 37 Old 06-03-2009, 11:10 PM

easy hospital has a higher c/s rate. I don't want to have to fight while trying to have a baby and I want to move / eat / drink / walk and do anything else I please. so HBAC was an easy choice

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page