4 Days Till Repeat C-Section and HORRIFIED! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie View Post
The problem with going into labour first is that it's hard work, it tires you and can make recovery from a section tougher. If you're at peace with a section then an elective is usually better.

To the OP, I hope things work out well for you and your baby. A section may not be your preferred method of birth but it can still be a positive experience.
I am sorry, but this is nonsense. She could have several hours of early labor that are not that hard or stressful, but give the baby the advantages that labor gives to newborns. And so far her posts indicate she is anything but at peace with this.
#32 of 54 Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
The problem with going into labour first is that it's hard work, it tires you and can make recovery from a section tougher. If you're at peace with a section then an elective is usually better.

To the OP, I hope things work out well for you and your baby. A section may not be your preferred method of birth but it can still be a positive experience.
I don't buy this either. My c-section was after 30 hours of labor and my recovery was incredibly easy (of course I still can't feel 1/2 my stomach 15 months later so that might be why) and I know people who scheduled who could barely move a week later.

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
#33 of 54 Old 05-20-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainashine View Post
I don't buy this either. My c-section was after 30 hours of labor and my recovery was incredibly easy (of course I still can't feel 1/2 my stomach 15 months later so that might be why) and I know people who scheduled who could barely move a week later.
I still can't feel a lot of my stomach, and can't feel my bladder at all, almost 4 years out from my 3rd section. I did have some labour with that one, but I wasn't tired from it, and I'd only reach 1cm at the time of the scheduled section (went into labour the night before).

The numbness didn't get any worse after Aaron, and that was with a long labour, and days of strong pre-labour. Except for the the scar line itself, extending maybe a millimeter up and down, I had no numbness six weeks out from my first one, and I'd laboured for over 20 hours with that one. I think the numbness is caused by nerve damage, and it's really a luck of the draw thing. I don't think it relates to labour at all.

In terms of long-term pain, my worst one was with dd - my only labour-free one. My initial recoveries all tend to be pretty good - not wonderful, not terrible. (I hate every second of it, but I've seen and talked to enough c-section moms to know I come in somewhere on the "good" side of an average recovery.) In most cases, the pain hasn't lasted very long. However, with dd, I had incision pain for 7-8 months on a fairly regular basis, which didn't happen with any of my others....not even Aaron, which was by far the worst initial recovery (combination of crash emergency surgery, general anesthesia, internal infection, grief, and exhaustion).

Honestly, my best short-term recovery, by far, was with ds2, and that was my scheduled one with onset of labour. The mid-term (month or so in) was a bit rough, but that was because of a torn staple - my incision didn't fully heal on one end, and I wound up with an infection in the skin layer...nothing to do with fatigue or labour.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#34 of 54 Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 PM

I don't think my numbness has anything to do with laboring either. I think, though, it may have contributed to my easy recovery because I couldn't feel alot of the parts that were recovering. I'd also had abdominal surgery (kidney) in the past and I've heard that can help with recovery time. My point was that I had an easy recovery even after a 30 hour labor and I was exhausted.

A, WOHM hoping to be a SAHM married to E (7/7/01), mama to R :: (2/8/08) : : hopeful for ::
#35 of 54 Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM

Oh - gotcha. I misunderstood...thought you were speculating about a connection between the labour and the numbness. My mistake.

Having had four sections, all different in type (ie. one emergent, treated as an emergency, one planned, labour-free, one planned, with labour, and one true emergency), I tend to think that an awful lot of assumptions are made about the differences between the various ways of doing it, yk? There are just SO many factors involved, aside from just whether or not one laboured...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#36 of 54 Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 PM

LaughinWillow...good luck tomorrow if you are still going. Take care and know that there will be people here thinking of you.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#37 of 54 Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
I disagree with Stormbride. An elective, planned section is generally safer than going into labour then needing an emergency section. Yes, labour is good for babies but probably not if you have a high risk of needing an emergency section.

What are the reasons the drs/midwives are giving you for not allowing a vbac?
in my personal opinion only, i disagree with this. i have read of so many benefits of allowing a baby to chose its birth date...laboring for both mom and baby, etc. etc. It does not sound like you are high risk from what you have disclosed here...of course none of us knows what is not disclosed on this thread but in my person opinion, it is always better to allow labor to proceed normally until there is a compelling reason to allow otherwise.
#38 of 54 Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 AM

Big hugs LaughinWillow and I hope whatever you have choosen or will choose, that you have a safe and healthy birth and a beautiful babymoon!

~~~~~~~~~~
I think some of the back/forth here on "which is safer" is sort of an apples and oranges discussion. The studies generally show that a pre-labor cesarean results in a physically healthier mom/babe than an emergency labor cesarean. There are a number of reasons for this, including maternal exhaustion (as mentioned in thread). However, what the studies haven't looked at in depth is the pre-labor cesarean vs the emergent early labor cesarean... where a woman plans to arrive at the hospital once her water breaks or contractions become regular, and have the surgery well before entering "active" labor. It would seem like that sort of "let baby pick the day, let mama/OR pick the time" might be a healthy halfway point for everyone involved (baby is ready, hormones are moving, mom can prepare mentally and transition moer gradually, there aren't the same risks of exhaustion/infection, etc).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#39 of 54 Old 05-23-2009, 08:08 PM

Yes - that's what I was talking about. Obviously, there are definite risks involved in needing an emergency section, especially a repeat, where there's more scar tissue to get through, that don't exist with a planned section. But, I'm not talking about either of those scenarios. I really think an "emergent early labor cesarean" (well phrased - I've never been able to make it that succinct) is better than either. Everything I've read suggests it has the best outcomes, although I've never found a solid study on it (maybe because hospitals and OBs aren't likely to explore that route. It's nowhere near as convenient as scheduling the c/s for the morning, checking on mom in the afternoon, and being home in time for dinner).

I do know that my best recovery, in almost all respects (aside from the loss of bladder sensation, which I don't think is related to anything but luck - and maybe the skill of the surgeon), was the planned one, when my labour started before surgery. It was also the one where my baby had the highest initial apgar score. (That's not really relevant, as we're talking about a 9, vs. two 8s, for my living babies...but it definitely doesn't suggest to me that my labour caused him any problems, yk?)

#40 of 54 Old 05-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
On the other hand, the risks of the cesarean are not very high, and it seems to me that your fears are based on your having been coerced.

I have to disagree. The risks to the mother go up with each successive surgery. A third surgery is not something to take lightly.
I felt the burning need to defend my pro-VBAC status in this, one of the few communities where wanting a VBAC does not make you a pariah!

Certainly a repeat cesarean is not to be taken lightly, and I plan to fight tooth and claw to get my VBAC despite my "high risk" status, but the truth is that whether I end up with a homebirth or a cesarean, I expect my baby to come out happy and healthy, and I am willing to experience what I have to in order to get that!

Still, the OP probably drives a car and takes all kinds of other risks that compare with birth risks (any kind of birth), and as it looks like she might be opting for a c-section, I didn't want her to be scared about it! The risks are real, but they are, thankfully, relatively small.

Also wanted to chime in on the cesarean after onset of labor--isn't a lot of the heightened risk related to infection which could be possibly avoided by refusing as many as possible of the routine interventions during labor? I would definitely not want to birth before I went into labor naturally.

Hopefully the OP is MIA because she is peacefully cradling her newborn right now, however it happened!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#41 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone! I just wanted to give an update, since you all were so wonderful with trying to help/reassure/empower me in my situation. After talking with DH about my fears and what to do, then talking to a midwife friend in another state, we decided to go ahead with the scheduled cs last Thursday. It was frightening, of course, but went smoothly. The anesthesia staff were the best I've had in all my births - the nurse they assigned to stay with me throughout was really wonderful and kind, really seemed to understand my concerns, and was so supportive the entire time, it really helped reduce my anxiety. My spinal went in the first time without pain, and I didn't even realize the surgery had started. My son was born completely healthy and alert, a perfect beautiful baby - though I was not happy to end up being separated from him and DH (who went with him to the newborn unit) during an hour of recovery. But everything else went well, we're all healthy and back at home, and my mom's here helping with my other kids. New baby - named Day - is a complete joy - really sweet and content, sleeps happily, and is just such a lovely cuddlebug. The pain's definitely no fun, but bearable.

So again, thank you thank you to everyone who answered me. In retrospect I wish I'd made sure I was dealing with a pro-VBAC practice long before the end of my pregnancy, but am trying now to just focus on the fact that my son is here and is perfect and look forward to NOT spending another summer pregnant (like I did with my last ds - ugh!)! :
#42 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 AM

Congrats! Enjoy your babymoon and I hope you heal easily and well! :

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#43 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM

Congrats on the birth of your wee one!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#44 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Hugs and Congratulations! I am so happy your LO is here and doing well. You went into this birth fully informed and you OWN it!

Congrats, again!

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
#45 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM

Congratulations!

I'm glad you've got some help, too. Hope you have a quick recovery.

#46 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Congratulations!

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, hoping to get an update and hear the news of your birth. A cesarean is a disappointment, but it is not the end of the world. What is important is that you and your little one are healthy. I'm so glad that things went smoothly, and hope that you have a wonderful babymoon. Soak up every moment!

Proud Army wife and Momma of two.
Jay-my precious boy 2/20/08 & Caroline-my beautiful HBAC baby 8/22/09 :
#47 of 54 Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 PM

Congratulations! so glad everything went smoothly.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#48 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Congratulations

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#49 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughinWillow View Post
Hello everyone! I just wanted to give an update, since you all were so wonderful with trying to help/reassure/empower me in my situation. After talking with DH about my fears and what to do, then talking to a midwife friend in another state, we decided to go ahead with the scheduled cs last Thursday. It was frightening, of course, but went smoothly. The anesthesia staff were the best I've had in all my births - the nurse they assigned to stay with me throughout was really wonderful and kind, really seemed to understand my concerns, and was so supportive the entire time, it really helped reduce my anxiety. My spinal went in the first time without pain, and I didn't even realize the surgery had started. My son was born completely healthy and alert, a perfect beautiful baby - though I was not happy to end up being separated from him and DH (who went with him to the newborn unit) during an hour of recovery. But everything else went well, we're all healthy and back at home, and my mom's here helping with my other kids. New baby - named Day - is a complete joy - really sweet and content, sleeps happily, and is just such a lovely cuddlebug. The pain's definitely no fun, but bearable.

So again, thank you thank you to everyone who answered me. In retrospect I wish I'd made sure I was dealing with a pro-VBAC practice long before the end of my pregnancy, but am trying now to just focus on the fact that my son is here and is perfect and look forward to NOT spending another summer pregnant (like I did with my last ds - ugh!)! :

Congratulations on your new baby! :

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#50 of 54 Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM

What a wonderful update! It sounds like you did exactly the right thing for your situation and had a great outcome! Congrats on your little one's arrival!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
#51 of 54 Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 AM

Congratulations! I too was watching for an update. Glad to hear it went well. Take care of yourself during this time. nak

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#52 of 54 Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM

Congrats on your baby!

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#53 of 54 Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Congrats on the baby!
#54 of 54 Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations, Mama! I am glad that everything went as well as you could hope! And Welcome to the World, Little Day!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page