Let's talk about the VBACs we're going to have in 2004! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I also read it as cautionary. I think some of the dr.'s I interviewed after reading that article would say that elective repeat c/s is better than VBAC.
I agree. And that's weird, because like you, I read it as lowering the risks overall (if you look at the numbers). The tone is very cautionary, despite the positive findings...

I'm still on the ICAN list, though I have a hard time sorting through the ton of messages. Maybe I should ask there and post back here anything I can find. If you find it first, will you please post it/let us know how to get it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 06:04 PM

Hi everyone. I'm due in August and planning a VBAC. I found a great midwife who is very supportive and the hospital where I will deliver does allow VBAC. It's so encouraging to see that so many women are planning VBACs. Of all the women I know IRL who had c-sections, only one even considered VBAC and then opted not to try in the end. The others didn't even consider it and I can tell they think I'm a little nuts for even trying. OTOH, many of my friends IRL who didn't have c-sections are very supportive of my VBAC.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:16 PM

yesterday.
First, I was talking to my mom. She is a nurse and works with our state Medicaid program. She said that Medicaid (at least in KY) does not pay for a second c-section unless it is a proven medical necessity. So, they make them at least try for a VBAC if they are on Medicaid.

Second, I was eating dinner in a restaurant and this woman at another table asked me when I was due. Then she started telling me about her daughter, who is due in May. But, she said, her daughter was requesting a c-section so that they could "take the baby out a few weeks early, before it got too big!!" I almost choked on my food!!
Old 02-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Delphine, that is crazy! Absolutely. Hopefully there is more to the story than the mother let on.

Hannah's mom-welcome, you should join the August pg group (in the I'm Pregnant thread) too! (if you haven't already) There are a couple of vbac mom's in that group too.

KkMama-I haven't had time to look, but let us know if you find anything from ICAN on that study. I dropped it b/c of the ton of email too.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:41 PM

I jusst had my 2nd VBAC last week. I haven't got much computer time lately, but when I do I'll type my birth story.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:46 AM

Gave Intro in the Homebirth (Section?). I have a lay midwife. I have had 4vag births and 1 c/s (2nd twin transverse). I was also a doula for yrs. My oldest is 23. I am excited to be homebirthing in May.

Unique situation, as my 1st twin was born vag unmed. Twins were born spon at 30wks, and mostly just enjoying this pg, and looking forward to everything with a term birth and baby. Seems like my "issues" surrounding the last birth (the c/s) has been about the trauma of 30wk gest babies, didn't meet my 2nd twin (diff hospital) for 5 days, didn't hold for 2weeks, NICU for 7wks, etc., etc. The guilt also of feeling more connected to the vag twin too those first weeks, months... My twins will be 9yrs old soon ! My other children are 23, 19, 16. I am a grandma too, my oldest has a 2yr old son. My grandson pats my belly and says baby (his Aunt or Uncle!)

I am planning on having a doula (used to be my backup!), my neighbor to help with the children & other issues of a lg family
our children, oh and my spouse, & my midwife to be at the birth. We will have a aqua-doula tub available, and hope that it doesn't all go too quick! MY first birth was several hours of labor, but all the rest were pretty short. I am so excited to birth at home in May, I can hardly stand it! lol

From NE Ohio and excited to be HBAC in May!
Old 02-26-2004, 09:40 PM

:
Thought I should start dropping by this forum since I too am hoping for VBAC in August.

Melissa!

The OSU study also gave me kinda a woo-hoo then "oh...hhmmm" feel...I am still a little worried but believe I am in good hands with my CNMW and the OB in practice with her.

My first ds was born all the wrong ways(premature reputure of my membraines...meds, epidural, you name it)...and ultimately I was cut ...if I only knew then what I know now....

2nurturemore hi and welcome I am from Ohio too

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Old 02-27-2004, 07:47 PM

salaam

my VBAC is in July! (well, we will see!)

they don't allow HBACs in NJ, so i had to choose between hospital midwives and a UBAC... thankfully there is a great hospital within walking distance that does waterbirth and has brand new LDR rooms! and the midwives are GREAT and really think i have a good chance at a VBAC since my first birth was normal, and the second was a REAL emergency.

i'm excited, but not sure how to prepare myself for the possibility of another C-sec... maybe just not going to the same crappy hospital will help.

lila
Old 03-04-2004, 07:12 PM

I'm Anna and I'm planning a VBAC in August. I'm due 8/21. Last time I had a c-section b/c of posterior positioning of my son who had a 15.5 inch head, and a short cord that was around his neck. I'm going with a midwife this time, and hoping to avoid the OP problems and cord issues. Also, I'm doing a lot of prenatal yoga, swimming and yoga. I have PCOS, so it is not entirely unlikely that I had gest diabetes that got missed. I was borderline on the 3 hour test last time. So this time around I'm also trying to watch the diet-- though I also have retched morning sickness. (Had that last time too, puked the day I had my son, 2 weeks past EDD.)
Old 03-05-2004, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh... very jealous of waterbirth. My hospital has jacuzzis in all rooms, but it's my understanding that one has to exit the tub to push.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:04 PM

Hi I'm planning a VBAC in November. I have switched hospitals and OBs. I am now traveling 45 minutes to get to this OB. I have a high risk status but I am hopeful that the OB will work with me on VBAC. I am early enough that I can keep looking if need be.

My dream would be to get "stuck" at home and have the baby here. Dh would have a cow though.

I researched HBAC and VBAC in a birthing center here in Virginia. I even went as far as MD, and DC. I did find a group of midwives who could attend to me in Arnold, MD (at least 3hrs away) in the hospital. I wish I lived in TN.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:48 PM

Has anybody out there read the Ina May books and actually gotten depressed about the possibility of NOT having their VBAC and needing a repeat c/b? I'm right there, due last week......beginning to have doubts.

Kim wife to Michal, mama to Lance (2)
Old 03-28-2004, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Kim, I'm not sure what you mean... can you elaborate? I'm sorry you've gone past your due date... I know that can be tough.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:11 PM

I love the stories, I find everything inspiring.....It just makes me mourn for what I didn't get last time and wonder if the same things will happen this time. I'm sure I'm looking at another 10+lb baby.......I'm late.....I'm not 100% committed to a VBAC because I don't want to deal with the sense of failure If I don't get it.

I think I'm way hormonal and my mom has been here for 2 weeks and the "waiting" is getting to me.

whine......

Kim
mama to Lance, edd 3/25? :
Old 03-28-2004, 05:07 PM

Kim,

I havent read Ina Mays new book, but I have Spiritual Midwifery. Ive already had 1 vbac so it didnt make me feel like I might not have another one, but it did make me depressed about the prospect of having a midwife assisted homebirth. I really didnt like most of the birth stories because of the interventions. Seems like most of the girls had enemas, AROM, multiple cervical exams... I just didnt see a need for most of it and if any of that were to happen to me at my homebirth (obviously an enema would most likely not happen these days) I would be very disappointed.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:11 PM

Oh, also, for inspiring birth stories, I LOVED Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth. They are absolutely beautiful!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:26 PM

Hey all- just found this topic - I am due in the middle of September and will be having a VBAC - can't decide whether to do it at home with m/w or in the hospital with Dr. More and more am leaning towards home!

Nikki
Old 03-29-2004, 06:53 PM

Welcome Nikki......it's good you have lots of time to research your decision. This is a great site for support and information.

Mom2Baldie,
I don't have the exact name of the book, it seems to be a newer version of SM. Less intervention but along the same lines of the intense uphoric (sp?) feelings of Vag birthing. I know that is hormonal.....but the whole experience seems to leave the C/B mama's wondering really "what did I miss"? I'm not feeling guilty about my first baby being a c/b...just wondering if I'm being realistic about this second one being a VBAC. I've decided what's important at the moment is to just go into labor and make decisions as they come. I don't want to "schedule" a birth, I want this baby to pick it's birthday. (sounds funny ay?).

I know regardless of method of entry to this world I will be a very happy mama for a healthy baby.

Kim, mama to Lance, edd 3/25??
Old 03-29-2004, 09:17 PM

Hi Nikki! I am due in Sept also. You should come on over to the Sept. mommies board - I am a lonely VBAC mom over there.

Kim,
I bet it its Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth or something like that. Ive heard of it and am going to see if my midwife has it tomorrow at my appt. Im glad to hear its less interventive!

I dont feel guilty about my cesarean either because I was 19 at the time and it seemed like a good idea to me. (My son was breech). I dont think I would want to have a vag. breech if there wasnt anyone around who was skilled at breech births, I certainly wouldnt want anyone around that would be fearful and as a result more interventive and aggressive.

I had those euphoric feelings after my VBAC with my daughter and it did make me a little sad that there was nothing like that with my daughter. I just have to remember that if it werent for my sons birth I wouldnt be where I am today.

Good luck with your VBAC. Ill be thinking positive thoughts for you!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:36 AM

Kim,

I was thinking of you and wonder how your doing? Please give us an update when you can.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:02 AM

Lynsey-

I'm planning a home VBAC waterbirth this fall, too! I just had my first prenatal, and I am lovin' my DEM. We sat and had tea and just chatted for 2 and a half hours.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:11 AM

Lucysmama,

Cool! My 1st appt. was 2 hours too - it was so fun. I had my 2nd appt. yesterday and it was only 1 hour though. I think I am spoiled. Unfortunately it didnt go as well because we talked about who would be her assistant or backup and I didnt like any of her choices. Being a doula, I hear A LOT, and Ive heard BAD things about those women with VBACS and in general. I didnt know what to say because I am the type of person that needs time to think about things, but I dont know whether to talk to her about the situations Ive heard about or what. What do you think?

I just spent so much time looking for the midwife I want and now I have to choose someone else to be with her and Im thinking "I cant choose anyone else because I dont LIKE anyone else. Thats why Im coming to you".

ANYWAYS, let me know what you think. I know that having a great experience is very important to you also.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:23 PM

Lynsey-

I would be firm about not having anyone there that I am not comfortable with. That can really effect labor outcomes. And if someone is going to be there who is not VBAC friendly...well that would just plain suck. This is YOUR birth, don't be afraid to be a little selfish.

That said, I think you should talk to your midwife about the things you have heard, and see if there are any misconceptions...I just mean things can get twisted around when you are talking about heresay. Maybe she was at some of the births in question as the assistant midwife, so maybe she knows what really happened? Just a thought.

But just be open and honest. It sound like you have found a good mw and she should be understanding about your concerns.

Maybe you could interview/talk to her potential assistants yourself?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:31 PM

Thanks for sending your thoughts on my situation. I appreciate it and have decided to call her tomorrow or next week to talk about it, instead of waiting all month until my next appt.

Ill let you know how our conversation goes.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:24 PM

I wanted to introduce myself...

I am due in August with my second child (a boy!) and planning a VBAC with an OB at a hospital. I would've loved a HBAC but my SO is not comfortable with them and we decided this way was best for us. My doctor is comfortable with VBACs and has a good reputation for not doing C/S willy-nilly.

My first child was born c/s because of a short cord and the resulting fetal decels during labor, my OB at the time also said it was because of "failure to progress" I was in active labor for 12 hours and dilated to 4 cm, to me that is not failure to progress, that could be entirely normal.

Anyways, I am doing my research, reading the new Ina May Gaskin book, not stressing out about it really. To me there is no reason that I shouldn't expect a healthy and normal vaginal delivery just because I had a C/S, this is a different birth and a different baby, KWIM? I am looking for a doula, too.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:08 AM

Welcome Empress,....

Looks like this thread has seen too little action!! Congratualtions on your upcoming delivery and finding an OB that is VBAC friendly. I recently gave birth (1 April) to a lovely 9lb 7oz baby boy after over 12 hrs of attempting a VBAC. I'm in no way attempting to discourage you but I ended up a C/B. I regret not having a more specific plan with my OB. The one filling in said "did you discuss how long you were going to attempt this with Dr ***?" How long did you want to try after getting to 8cm? What is a realistic time frame? I could have labored forever and this baby wasn't going to exit in the manner I had planned for. I never got past 8cm and "0" station with my first, I didn't get past that with this one. I didn't have any limits set and really wish I would have. Part of my problem was the OB on call didn't know me and my history and the nurse was very young.

Also, I too read Ina May's books and cried at the simple beauty of those births. Then I got depressed all over again for what I missed with my first one and feared I was setting myself up for disappointment with this delivery. I decided to quit reading and instead, focus on what I would be soon holding regardless of delivery method.

I will tell you many will not agree with my thoughts here. I welcome all comments and of course, words of support and encouragement.

Kim, Mom to Lance 2 1/2 and Logan 8 weeks
Old 06-02-2004, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, too little action here... I've been hanging out elsewhere (the May 2004 due date threads and the cesarean support thread).

Empress, I think a doula is a really good idea. We had a doula with our recent VBAC (yea!), and I don't think I realized going into the birth how much of a difference she was going to make. Seriously, I had a long, grueling labor, and there were many points at which I would have thrown in the towel if she hadn't been so supportive (and to be fair, dh was amazingly supportive too, and the best dr. at my practice was on call, the hospital nurses were great, too, and obviously, things came together in a really miraculous way).

I second a lot of what Kim said. I was incredibly super anal (and probably pretty annoying) during my prenatal appts. I basically used almost every minute of them (after pg medical stuff was covered) to discuss how we were going to handle the birth. And I did this with each of the drs. at the practice. I didn't necessary like everything I heard, and I negotiated whatever I could, but at least I knew where they'd be coming from. But yeah, I was fortunate to get the most supportive, most "lenient" dr. when push came to shove (so to speak).

And I agree with your 2nd paragraph, Kim. I think there's a fine balance in preparing for a VBAC. I had to be mentally prepared for a repeat C, because I was afraid that if I bought into the VBAC "too much" I'd be devastated if I had a repeat. Like you said, not everyone will agree with that... Yeah, I wish I lived within driving distance of the Farm. Yeah, I wish I were an earth mother with short easy labors, etc. But I'll take what I got.

Best of luck to you.

Who else is out there waiting to give birth?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:46 AM

Who else is out there waiting to give birth?

Me, me! I am 24 weeks now so things are moving right along. I got my birth supply list at my last MW appt. so that was exciting. Other than looking at the supply list, I havent really thought too much about the birth... I am going to start doing the exercises in the book "An Easier Childbirth" just because I feel like I should be doing something. I dont want to get too complacent about it just because Ive already had a VBAC. I dont want to be caught off guard by the pain, but as usual, Im not sure what to do to prepare. I just cant get in the mood for obsessing like I did when pregnant with my first VBAC baby.

Anyways, to stay on track with the recent conversation, I wouldve been devestated if I would not have had a VBAC with my DD. When I was pregnant with her I didnt even consider that I would have another cesarean. I surrounded myself with VBAC birth stories and read on VBAC support boards and probably annoyed the heck out of my doula asking her questions. I know that I annoyed everyone else as well. But for me it is either all or nothing. I am planning a homebirth this time and Im certainly not about to write up a birth plan for in case we have to transport. Or register at the hospital or have an OB backup... For me, that would be putting negative thoughts into my head and I just dont need it. But this is JMHO and is not meant to offend. We are all different and have different ways of preparing ourselves for life's experiences.

Kim,

Im glad to updated! I wondered about you sometimes while visiting the VBAC forum. Congrats on your big boy!

User Tag List