Let's talk about the VBACs we're going to have in 2004! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 01-18-2004, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy--

I'd love to get a discussion going with anyone else who's currently pg and planning a VBAC. I'm due in May, and I'm interviewing doulas, doing lots of reading, etc. I'm starting to get excited, but I know I have more mental preparation ahead of me...

Anyone else?
#2 of 58 Old 01-18-2004, 08:42 PM

I'm in the same boat. I just got the news I too can attempt a VBAC. My Midwifes and OB are awsome and support me. I recently found I CANNOT deliver (a VBAC baby) in water at the local hospital, due to policy, but I can labor as long as I want in their big tubs. What have you read about VBAC's? I haven't done much reading but believe I'm informed about the risks. Congrats on even trying!!

Kim, Wife to Michal, Mom to Lance, 2yrs
#3 of 58 Old 01-19-2004, 12:21 AM

I am going for VBAC for our August baby. I can't believe how hard it is do this in my area. I really don't understand why this backlash has occurred. Everyone that I am acquainted with who had a c/s, which is about 50% of the mom's i know, had a repeat c/s. I don't know anyone personally who has had a VBAC. It is causing a little bit of a rift between me and my friends, mainly because I feel strongly against routine repeat c/s. I do believe people need to do what they feel is right for their bodies, but I feel that many of them are uninformed.

Our hospital doesn't have a 24 hour anathesiologist, so that is why they don't recommend VBAC's. But I feel like everyone is taking an equal risk, anyone can be in labor in the middle of the night and need an emergency c/s.

Right now I am interviewing one homebirth midwife, and one more OB. I saw one OB who was totally against VBAC. I am about five miles from our hospital, so that isn't too bad of a drive if I need to transfer. I am unsure right now what I am going to do. I feel like if try VBAC in this hospital, that they will be pushing for the c/s. It depends on how comfortable I feel with this next OB.

I am eager to hear the other VBAC'ers out there!
#4 of 58 Old 01-19-2004, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo! Glad to see you both! I was starting to wonder if I was the only out here (I *do* think I'm the only one in the May group doing a VBAC...).

Ilovebeingamom... it seems like 1/2 the moms I know have had cesareans, too, which seems kind of weird, because I'm supposedly in a "crunchy" place, and the C rate at the local hospital is supposed to be lower than average (but I think at the surrounding hospitals, it's higher...). : I was on a hike Fri with some other moms, and birth came up, and she said she has to have a C with the next one... I asked why, and she had a C with her first, due to breech presentation... I might ask her more about it (very gently, but she's a pretty open person) over time, but from what I understand, women who had 1st C due to breech have about the best odds of success in a VBAC! Anyway, it seems strange to me that no one else here (IRL) knows about VBAC...

I'm with an OB group... there are no more CNMs in my town (???), and I personally don't want a homebirth (it's turned out okay, though, because the practice is good, has great stats, and I've had a gynecological problem during this pg which would have had to have been monitored by an OB anyway). I'm being very frank (but polite) with the drs. in the clinic, trying to use my prenatal appts to focus on how we're going to handle the birth. So far so good--the drs. have been great. There's 1 dr. who seemed anti-VBAC, but ironically, she's pg (and more pg than me), so she'll be on leave when it's my time (so I don't see her anymore--yea!).

I'm working on finding a doula... from my birth experience last time, I learned that even a midwife isn't going to be there all the time, and I'm hoping a doula can help fill in the inevitable "care" gaps in a hospital experience.

Fortunately, VBAC is okay at our hospital, the hospital is ~ a mile from our house, so everything's set there. I'd like to labor at home as long as possible, though.

Quiltinglance, howdy! I'm pretty sure waterbirth is against policy at my hospital, too. I've read "The VBAC Companion", which was awesome... I think it's a good "starter" VBAC book... it really got me thinking about why I want to do this, how to go about it, etc. I've been trying to reread all the birthing books I read the 1st time with ds... but I got a lot of them from the library, and we've moved somewhere with a crappy library, so I think I'm going to have to buy some. I read Ina May Gaskin's new book. It makes me sad that it's not like that everywhere (but travelling to TN to give birth is not practical for me!). I'm definitely going to get "Birth Partner", just because it seemed so darn practical last time. I've also been reading tons of labor/birth stories... I think it's helping me get in the "vaginal birth" headspace, if you know what I mean...
#5 of 58 Old 01-20-2004, 10:51 AM

I'm planning a VBAC also in August! I am in the same boat you are about local hospital policies against VBACs! It stinks but what can you do?! I am going to a hospital 45 min away from my place but it's close to my M-I-L's house so I should be ok! Hopefully everything will work out this time( had toxemia and high bp last time ).
#6 of 58 Old 01-20-2004, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ug, I'm hearing about hospitals not allowing VBACs all over the place now... it really makes me mad. I think homebirth is really great for anyone who wants it, but what if you'd rather have a hospital birth? It means you have to choose between a hospital repeat C, a home VBAC, and possibly a hospital VBAC far away, none of which may be the birthing woman's first choice.
#7 of 58 Old 01-20-2004, 01:35 PM

I'm due in early April, and planning an unmedicated, doula-assisted hospital VBAC with CNMs. I'm traveling over an hour away to do it. The OBs (the only practice) at the closest hospital (25 minutes) (which is who did my c/s) said they were supportive of VBACs, but they had too many ridiculous requirements (like forcing an epidural, and doing an intra-uterine exam after delivery), that there is NO way I could go back to them. I would prefer a homebirth, and even found a terrific homebirth midwife with lots of HBAC experience, but DH won't go for it. I'm prepared for a fight at the hospital, and bringing a wonderful doula (who has had 3 VBACs herself) to be the "Guardian of my birthplace." I'm fairly comfortable with my plan, but I don't 100% trust the CNMs or the nursing staff, so I'm prepared to be on my guard.

Cindy
Thomas (v/b 11.20.97)
Daniel (c/s 6.25.01)
#3 due early April, 2004
#8 of 58 Old 01-20-2004, 01:58 PM

Hi all, just a note on the whole hospital policy regarding VBAC's. It's been the practice of hospitals that don't have a 24 hr anesthesiologist to simply schedule a repeat c/b. This isn't so much the hospital's decision as it is an insurance company mandated one. If you are going to try and deliver in a small community hospital (VBAC), verify before you get too far along what their policy is. The best way to do that is to contact the nursing manager of the OB/Labor/Delivery department directly. Lucky for us most OB are forthcoming about what restrictions they are under. I'm still not sure why I can deliver in a bed, but not in the water at my hospital. I have some research to do. If there are going to be complications what's the difference?

As for so many doing scheduled c/b. Recently a female OB was on the Today show praising them!! She thought they were a wonderful way to prevent incontinence later in life. I wish they had someone on at the same time discussing the real issues surrounding c/b.......necessary, when they are necessary.

Kim, c/b Lance 2yr, wife to Michal, vbac 3/25/04
#9 of 58 Old 01-21-2004, 12:28 PM

I am planning a VBAC in late April (early May). I am just trying to prepare myself with fetal positioning and lots of reading.

Is anyone here using chiropractic? That is something that I wanted to look into.
#10 of 58 Old 01-21-2004, 12:58 PM

I'm planning an HBAC for late March/early April. I've read a ton (VBAC Companion, Silent Knife, Open Season, Bradley books, and tons on the internet). I have a friend who had an HBAC a year ago with the same midwife I'm using and I talk to her frequently which helps put my head in the right "place". I've also been doing a ton of visualization. Every day I walk three miles at the YMCA and almost always spend those 45 minutes envisioning various birth scenarios. It helps me to imagine long labors, short labors, painful labors and even potential problems.

Honestly, I SO EXCITED for my HBAC!!!!!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#11 of 58 Old 01-21-2004, 01:46 PM

Hi Kristina, what a god send this site is. How is John? Getting excited about the whole HBAC? The visualization sounds wonderful and you sound so excited. I am just now getting the book The VBAC Companion. Last Friday I got the "yeah lets try a VBAC" from my DR, so I'm behind on reading. I have a great OB/Midwives who really respect my choices.

This week they are having me do the 3 hr gtt because Lance was so big. (10lb 6oz). yuck.

Keep up the great spirit. We'll have to post our birth stories when we've accomplished great things........

Kim

Wife to Michal , Mommy to Lance 2yrs VBAC 3/25/04
#12 of 58 Old 01-21-2004, 08:25 PM

So happy to see all the vbac-ers! I'll be having mine in late March.
It took the first five months of this pregnancy to find a good supportive provider and I'm finally enjoying being pregnant now. I got tired of fighting the local OBs and hospital for the birth that I wanted, so I left town and found a birth center 35 miles away. Not too bad!
Best wishes to all of you!
#13 of 58 Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 PM

MamaDub, HURRAY to you for sticking it out......hanging in there.....and following your heart.

Kim, mama to Lance 2, Wife to Michal:LOL and VBAC 3/25/04
#14 of 58 Old 01-22-2004, 02:43 PM

I'm going for a vbac for my July baby. My ob is going to allow me to have the vbac even though he recommends a repeat c (I think they all do). But if he starts talking c, I'm finding a new care giver. Most hospitals around here don't allow vbac's. The hospital I will be delivering at is about 35 miles from home. I plan on staying at home as long as possible.

My step-sister had a vbac with her 3rd baby. She was 35 weeks when she delivered. And this was at a military hospital.
#15 of 58 Old 01-22-2004, 03:23 PM

My OB hasn't mentioned a repeat c to me at all. The practice where i go has an 80% success rate with VBAC, which I think is pretty high. Although I understand it's important to know how many women they have that request a VBAC and are risked out for some reason or another.

I don't know anyone IRL who has had (or even attempted) a VBAC, and that's why lists like this are so important to me. It's nice to know there are other people out there feeling the same way I do.

By the way, I plan to have a hospital non-medicated VBAC. I think that some OBs now are "requiring" an epidural during a VBAC, which seems to me would increase the number of repeat c's.
#16 of 58 Old 01-22-2004, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Kim, I understand why the policy gets made, but I still think it sucks, because it removes access to a VBAC for a lot of women. It seems weird that someone in some office somewhere gets to make medical decisions for you...

Reading more and more, I'm thankful for the practices at my ob clinic and hospital... they sound like they're really on the minimal side.

JayGee, I'm right there with you on the visualization front. I'm trying to do a lot of this, too.

I'm doing the 1 hr glucose thingy in a week and a half (because I'm over 30). I was excited because the directions say I only have to drink 1/2 the bottle (kind of a stupid thing to get excited about, but trying to be positive).
#17 of 58 Old 01-22-2004, 08:19 PM

kkmama....No Fair!! I had to drink the WHOLE bottle (50g Sugar)!! It's not too bad actually, mine tasted like very sweet orange crush. I have to drink 2 bottle with the 3 hr test. (Over 30, big baby......) ugh.

As for the policy removing access to VBACs, I agree. You need to find a Dr, or group of Doctors that are strong enough of a voice to make change at their delivering facility. (or change won't be made) I too would seek another hospital if my local one didn't allow VBACs.

Hope your 1hr goes well.......

Kim, Mom to Lance , Wife to Michal edd 3/25
#18 of 58 Old 01-22-2004, 08:53 PM

Hey Kim! Great to see you here at MDC . John and I are doing great and are both excited about the HBAC. Did you ever think John would agree to such a thing ?!?! My conservative, Southern, military husband !

Hope your 3 hour goes well. I took my one hour on Tuesday and passed without a problem. Also saw my civilian midwife yesterday and had a wonderful appointment. She says this baby isn't very big at all, which is kind of a relief since Jacob was 8 lbs. 12 oz. I'm hoping for somewhere between 7 1/2 and 8 pounds by the end. Other good news is that the baby is finally heads down .

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#19 of 58 Old 01-23-2004, 12:28 AM

Hey everyone! I am planning my 2nd VBAC, but 1st homebirth in Sept. 04 (if this baby stays) and I am completely excited about having another VBAC. My 1st was the most amazing day of my life and Im sure this next one will be even better because hopefully I wont have all the fears that I had with my 1st labor. I wont be having a doula this time, but I will have my midwife and best friend to support me and I think they are all I need. (My husband is useless and hopefully will be watching my other children!)

Well, Im glad to be here and wish everyone else luck with their VBACs!
#20 of 58 Old 01-23-2004, 02:22 AM

Well, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

Planning a VBAC and have been since the very beginning. I'm with a midwifery group that is attached to a uber-staffed university hospital and they have approximately a 75% success rate with VBACs.

Some of their policies include:

no inductions (period), although they can augment with pitocin if labor stalls

not going over 42 weeks gestation

intermittent monitoring instead of continual

I just got *their* birth plan list from them last week and was impressed with the information. Will scan it in and share it when I have two neurons to rub together and five minutes to spare. My DH and best friend will be my labor support team in addition to the midwife and likely a student midwife as well. One of the midwives in the practice was actually born and raised on The Farm, too!

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#21 of 58 Old 01-27-2004, 09:37 PM

I will be having a UBAC in March, I can't wait. Some days it seems so far away, then at times it seems just around the corner.
I must say, it makes me so angry how VBAC's are so taboo these days. Women's birthing options are becoming so limited if they have had a c-sec, if there is a doc or hospital that will "allow" it there are so many rules that you have to labor under. Really upsetting since many of the c-sections were likely unneccessary in the first place, but the effects will follow a woman around the rest of her life. So I'll just stay home and make up my own rules .
#22 of 58 Old 01-31-2004, 12:21 PM

I had my hba2c in December, but I wanted to wish y'all awesome births!
#23 of 58 Old 02-02-2004, 10:26 AM

good for you, GranolaMoon! My dh is really pushing for a home birth this time, but I am not yet convinced. The bad thing is that, intellectually, I know that I am no safer in a hospital, and actually would probably have a better chance at a V-BAC at home, but I can't get over the indoctrinization that it's "better" to have that baby in a hospital, just in case something happens.

I am so happy to see some successful hbac stories and know that it is possible.
#24 of 58 Old 02-04-2004, 04:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post that I have finally found a dr. that is relatively supportive of VBAC's. He gave me an 80% success rate. I had to go to the next town and hospital over, but I think it will be worth it. He seemed impressed with my knowledge of VBAC statistics and risks, and in the end I think it made him more comfortable taking me on as a patient.

I just hope as the weeks progress, that I am not worried about the what if's...trying to find peace and relaxation. I don't want to worry about the possibility of another c/s. There still are more protocol to follow in the hospital than I would rather do, but hopefully with the support of the doula i can get past it.

Good luck to everyone! I want to hear the VBAC stories as they come!

Melissa
#25 of 58 Old 02-05-2004, 09:40 AM

And he was really supportive of a VBAC. I am going to a practice that includes midwives and OB's. It's one of those that I won't have any guarantee that the midwife will be on call when I go into labor, so one of the OBs may deliver my baby. Yesterday, I met the only OB that I hadn't previously met. Like the others, he is completely supportive of VBAC. I had to sign a paper that said that I understand information about a VBAC. The paper states that it is safer to have a VBAC than another cesarean, so at least they are on the ball with that.
Plus, he said, "So, you are going to VBAC" Not "you want to try" or "you think you might want to" or any other negative comment. We went over my surgery report and he was just great overall. It's nice to have an OB who cares about his patients.

Just wanted to share. Only 3 more months to go here!
#26 of 58 Old 02-07-2004, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad that a lot of us have been able to find care providers supportive of VBAC.

Delphine, my due date is ~a week after yours.
#27 of 58 Old 02-07-2004, 11:54 PM

I am going to have an HBAC in October-ish. My midwife has done a lot of HBACs and has a 100% success rate of those attempted - she has never had a patient have an unplanned c-sec. I am also planning to have a waterbirth!

I want my birth to be very private - just dh, my midwife, and Lucy - and maybe a support person for Lucy. (She will only be 2 and a half) My last labor was so public- I had family and friends coming and going (I didn't want that, but I was too occupied to kick them out or stop them) and I felt pressured and scrutinized. I plan on not even calling anyone this time until a day after the baby comes.

I am sooooo excited. Lucy's birth was so traumatic for me, and I think this birth will be very healing.
#28 of 58 Old 02-10-2004, 11:52 AM

Just wondering if anyone has seen the new study by Ohio State University re: VBAC's.

http://medicine.osu.edu/news/article.cfm?ID=1567

I thought it was interesting. It didn't really go into any dangers that go with elective c/s, but it did really lower the risk statistics of VBAC. One dr. I interviewed told me I had a 1 in 100 chance of rupture, this study says 1 in 2000.

I hope OB's pay attention to this and start offering more options for women who want VBAC's.
#29 of 58 Old 02-11-2004, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Melissa, thanks for posting this.

It's kind of funny... while it lowers the risks, it seemed to me like the wording was very cautionary and not optimistic. : Was it just me?

A couple of things I wish they'd gone into (besides what you say--the risks associated with Cs): What are other things that increase risk of rupture? (like pitocin and incision/suture type) What are some of the possible negatives down the road associated with Cs? (like adhesions, possible impact to fertility, endometriosis)

I read the risk of rupture as 7 in 1000, but the overall "serious" risk was 1 in 2000. : So that must mean that some of the ruptures in their study were not considered serious? :
#30 of 58 Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 PM

KKmama-

I agree with you that I wanted more info on the actual ruptures. I got the impression that not all of the ruptures ended up in bad outcomes, like brain damage or death. They were probably able to operate right away and got the baby out. My ob has experienced one rupture and said they were able to get the baby out before any damage occurred.

I have also read that not all ruptures are life threatening, some aren't aware of them until after the baby was born. I think it is as long as the placenta is intact with the uterine wall, it will keep supplying the baby the oxygen it needs.

I also read it as cautionary. I think some of the dr.'s I interviewed after reading that article would say that elective repeat c/s is better than VBAC.

I would like to see the actual study but haven't been able to find it yet. I was on the ICAN mailing list but signed off right about the time this came out. They are pretty resourceful, they probably have found it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page