"VBACs" always go into labor early." Huh? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
VBAC > "VBACs" always go into labor early." Huh?
ACsMom's Avatar ACsMom 06:14 PM 07-10-2009
Just curious if anyone else has heard this. I was talking to one of the nurses at the practice where I see my midwife (we were discussing the complications brought about by their global billing thing) and she mentioned the possibility that I'll have my baby in 2009, not 2010. I'm due on January 15th, and last time I went wwwaaaayyyy late (the reason for the induction, which failed, obviously). So it never occurred to me that I could go as early as late December. I hope I don't, because I want the baby to have as much time in there as s/he needs!!

Anyone heard this/experienced this? Or was this woman talking out of her rear end?

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma 06:16 PM 07-10-2009
I don't know any stats but considering how many women on here I see upset about the possibility of a forced induction because they are pushing 41 weeks, I find it highly suspect.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 06:19 PM 07-10-2009
That doesn't make much sense, to me. Why would a previous c-section have anything to do with how long you gestate? I would say the fact that you went "late" last time is more of an indication as to when your next LO will come.
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 06:22 PM 07-10-2009
Maybe more SUCESSFUL VBACs go into labor early, because those babies who need more time to "cook" are the ones who end up being repeat C/S due to "physician failure to wait"?

Yes, of course there's a possibility of going into labor early. That's always a possibility when you're pregnant, including the possibility of labor being TOO early and trying to stop it and/or dealing with a preemie.

But you're just as likely to have the baby in February.
ACsMom's Avatar ACsMom 06:49 PM 07-10-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Maybe more SUCESSFUL VBACs go into labor early, because those babies who need more time to "cook" are the ones who end up being repeat C/S due to "physician failure to wait"?
That's a really good point.

Quote:
I would say the fact that you went "late" last time is more of an indication as to when your next LO will come.
That's what I would think, too.
SalmonBayDoula's Avatar SalmonBayDoula 01:38 AM 07-11-2009
Rear end!

Sharon

PS: ask her for the study that supports her statment!
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 02:59 AM 07-11-2009
I agree with all the replies!

4 of my 5 VBAC babies were born past their Due Dates, went in to labor naturally.
ancoda's Avatar ancoda 05:29 PM 07-11-2009
I have not really looked into this at all so I can only tell you my experience.
My mom VBACed at 36.5 weeks. My two VBACs were 42wk 6days and 42wk 4days.
furfeet's Avatar furfeet 06:34 PM 07-11-2009
I went 2 weeks over with my first son, was induced, ended up with a c/s. (long difficult labor, 12lb. baby)

with ds2 I went into labor on his due date and had a VBAC.

Every pregnancy is different, every woman and baby is different.

I don't think there's ever an "always" or certainty when birth is involved
mamatolevi's Avatar mamatolevi 07:17 PM 07-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBayDoula View Post
Rear end!

Sharon

Ditto!! only I wouldn't have phrased it so politely.
member234098's Avatar member234098 09:16 PM 07-11-2009
"'VBACs'" always go into labor early."

Any scientific, peer reviewed studies ever done to back this statement up?
cairomama's Avatar cairomama 11:51 AM 07-12-2009
I think she was just talking. Like everyone said, you could be early, late or right on the nose. Hopefully, it will be the baby's time clock and not the doctors.

In my case, my son was a c-section for breech at 39 or 40 weeks depending who is calculating. I was really worried about making sure I got the maximum time so I got the midwife to use my 1st sonogram date and then give me two weeks beyond that before looking into induction. I didn't imagine any scenario which involved me going before 40 weeks. I ended up having her at 39.5 weeks, or 24 minutes before the standard LMP date.
bensgirl1222's Avatar bensgirl1222 01:35 PM 07-12-2009
Yeah I dont know about that. I am 39w3d and no sign of labor yet.
spu's Avatar spu 08:43 PM 07-13-2009
my vbac attempt was almost 42w, and brought on by castor oil... my vba2c (successful!) was 38w. Every pregnancy, even with the same mom, is different. Keep positive thoughts.
ollineeba's Avatar ollineeba 09:42 PM 07-14-2009
Rear end
No, really there are a lot of VBAC moms who go past their due dates.
LisaSedai's Avatar LisaSedai 05:19 PM 07-15-2009
Quote:
"physician failure to wait"?
LOL. This was the cause of my c/sec.
GutInstinct's Avatar GutInstinct 04:22 PM 07-16-2009

3 little birds's Avatar 3 little birds 04:30 PM 07-16-2009
Perhaps she meant that vbacs DELIVER early due to ob's not letting vbac moms gestate longer than 38 weeks. At this point many push induction to avoid a large baby.

For the record my first VBAC (HBAC) labor occured at 42 weeks (brought on by castor oil to avoid a hospital stay-don't recommend, but was desperate), the second at 41 weeks, encouraged by acupuncture, and the third around 39-41 weeks (lied about dates to avoid past due nonsense).
minkajane's Avatar minkajane 04:40 PM 07-16-2009
I don't know how many times I've heard "My doctor says we can try for a VBAC, as long as I go into labor before my due date!" I'm willing to bet that a LOT of "VBAC-friendly" doctors will support a VBAC up until 40w1d, then say that the woman HAS to have a C/S. I've also heard insistences that VBAC is exponentially more dangerous "post-term," which as we know, OBs like to say is after 40 weeks, instead of after 42, like it should be. I haven't seen any evidence of this danger.
3 little birds's Avatar 3 little birds 04:45 PM 07-16-2009
I actually had to ask my OB how far I would be "allowed" to go. He said no further than 38 weeks. He never mentioned this when he was telling me I was a great candidate for VBAC. If I hadn't asked I wouldn't have known until it was almost to late. As it was, I left the practice at 5 months and planned a HBAC that occured at 42 weeks.
minkajane's Avatar minkajane 05:07 PM 07-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 little birds View Post
He said no further than 38 weeks.
So you can only have a VBAC if you have a pre-term birth? I bet if you HAD gone into labor early, they would have pushed you for a C/S with the excuse that C/S is so much easier on pre-term babies than vaginal birth. I've seen that excuse used a lot. "My baby was so tiny that a vaginal birth would have been to rough on her. My doctor said a C/S was safer for preemies."
mamatolevi's Avatar mamatolevi 10:17 PM 07-16-2009
depending on gestational age & size that is true that c/s is better for the baby. It has to do with the size of the head in proportion to the rest of the body and the position of the baby.
CortLong's Avatar CortLong 10:27 AM 07-17-2009
My first was a c-section and I've had 3 vbacs since then- all three were 'past' their due dates.
darcytrue's Avatar darcytrue 07:02 PM 07-19-2009
I had my second child two and a half weeks early. It was a c/s just like the first birth was a c/s.
Dolphingirlsd's Avatar Dolphingirlsd 06:59 PM 07-20-2009
I had a vbac and I was two weeks late. So that really does not make sense to me from personal experience. What would one thing have to do with the other?
wbg's Avatar wbg 08:19 PM 07-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBayDoula View Post

:

[QUOTE=furfeet;14069107]I.

Every pregnancy is different, every woman and baby is different.

I don't think there's ever an "always" or certainty when birth is involved [/QUOTE

and :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Maybe more SUCESSFUL due to "physician failure to wait"?
and
cathicog's Avatar cathicog 08:50 PM 07-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsMom View Post
I hope I don't, because I want the baby to have as much time in there as s/he needs!!

Anyone heard this/experienced this? Or was this woman talking out of her rear end?
Out her butt, plain and simple. Most c/s in this country are done for two reasons: failed inductions that were done too early in the pg(and for this reason i htink it's deliberate) and physician impatience...the average first baby is born at 41 weeks 2 days... God made a woman's body to be the natural incubator for a baby. The longer it spends in there the better it grows, usually..
(rare exceptions are twin -to-twin transfusion syndrome and Intrauterine growth retardation)
U-Turn's Avatar U-Turn 11:28 PM 07-25-2009
I was 24 days late after my c/s.
wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 12:07 PM 07-27-2009
I wonder if she meant that many mamas gestate longer in their first pregnancy, and not as long with their subsequent pregnancies? So a vbac mama by default isn't a "first pregnancy mama"? It's certainly not a "sure thing" and I think the studies that are out there show it's only a matter of a few days earlier on average... but it's one of those comments you see a lot (the "second babes come sooner" thing).
GoestoShow's Avatar GoestoShow 12:33 PM 07-27-2009

1 2 

Up