Recent (in the past year) c/s mamas - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My dd is seven months old, and I'm thinking about trying for number two between September and January. I'm being held back more because of financial reasons than because of fears of not waiting. I also had no real issues with the c section or recovery itself. I don't think it was necessary, it was definitely after a cascade of interventions, but then again I will always have worries. What I am mostly looking for is a doctor that won't push interventions and/or inductions, and that if I have another c section I'll knowl it was for a necessary reason not for a doctor or hospital's convience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#33 of 42 Old 07-31-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for sharing your stories. I'm sad that we all have this in common, but happy that we have each other for support, kwim?

Good news, DH said he's up for a HBAC. In fact he said he'd prefer it. So we're going to start a MW fund in a few months. Which means we'll be waiting a while to TTC. So I'm ordering The Garden of Fertility and start charting.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#34 of 42 Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 AM

I had a c section almost 2 years ago, so not as recent as some, but I hope I can still share my thoughts. Lately, I have been thinking about when to TTC another baby a lot, and DH and I talked and came to some decisions. I am more concerned about emotional issues around the next pregnancy and birth then physical issues of VBAC so the main reason I have waited and am continuing to wait longer is for emotional healing and closure. I want to be able to experience the next pregnancy and birth as a new, separate experience with as little as possible of the loss and sorrow and negative emotional baggage from my cesarean experience to carry over into the next pregnancy. I had a pretty fast and smooth physical recovery from my cesarean so I feel that physically I probably healed well. Our other big reason to wait is that my DH starts as a full time graduate student at the end of this month and we need to wait until he earns his degree before adding to our family. For finances, but also because his schooling is going to take a tremendous part of his, energy, time, and effort. So we will be waiting to TTC until Jan 2011 or later, so that the new baby would be born after he graduates. 4+ years between kids was more that I originally wanted, but I think it will work out well for us. I sooo sooo badly want a vbac, and this gives me a long time to prepare. We will be planning another homebirth,and I hope to start investigating my options and to know which midwife I would hire before I get pregnant again. I know more now about what I want in a midwife. We are moving to a new town and I'm not sure what the options are there, but I will find someone.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#35 of 42 Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM

My cesarean was a year ago as of July 29th (Happy Bday Kai!) and I was pregnant before his birthday. I'm about 10 weeks now.

I didnt plan on getting pregnant, but I've been told by several midwives and OBs that after the first several months, the scar doesnt get thicker or stronger. I havent had anyone give me a hard time about it-probably because it'll still be at least 18 months between births. One OB actually told me he sees a higher rate of rupture in moms who wait a long time between baby's, because the scar actually starts to...I'm not sure what the right word here is, but basically thin out? He was talking many, many years between though-like 5 or more from the way it sounded. I guess I could see that to some extent, since when I get a keloid type scar, it eventually gets smaller and less thick. But then, perhaps its just that the real skin cells are taking back over? I dont know! I wonder if theres any studies on that....

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#36 of 42 Old 08-06-2009, 02:28 AM

#37 of 42 Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
Good news, DH said he's up for a HBAC. In fact he said he'd prefer it.
My DH was against HB for ages. Just a couple of weeks ago, when I told him that I believed the safest way for me to have a VBAC was to have a HB, he said he would be open to that as long as it's not too far from the hospital.

We plan to wait until next summer to TTC and hope we don't get an oopsie in the meantime. He'll be over a year then. We're using condoms but I still haven't had a period, but DS sometimes goes 8 1/2 hours at night.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#38 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
My DH was against HB for ages. Just a couple of weeks ago, when I told him that I believed the safest way for me to have a VBAC was to have a HB, he said he would be open to that as long as it's not too far from the hospital.

We plan to wait until next summer to TTC and hope we don't get an oopsie in the meantime. He'll be over a year then. We're using condoms but I still haven't had a period, but DS sometimes goes 8 1/2 hours at night.
My MW recommended The Garden of Fertility to help me start charting. I just received it, so I haven't read it all yet, but it is VERY thorough. My MW recommended it because it's the best book for charting while breastfeeding. My period still has not come back, though DS is almost 9 months and recently started sleeping loong stretches (8-10 hrs).

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
#39 of 42 Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
My MW recommended The Garden of Fertility to help me start charting. I just received it, so I haven't read it all yet, but it is VERY thorough. My MW recommended it because it's the best book for charting while breastfeeding. My period still has not come back, though DS is almost 9 months and recently started sleeping loong stretches (8-10 hrs).
What does it say about long stretches like 6-7 hours? FAM says no more than 6 hours between feedings at night and DS sometimes goes more. Every two to three during the day, always. I figured, the first time that happened during the night, I could have ovulated, so we use condoms. However, I haven't had a period yet and I try to pump before going to bed so it's not 6 hours before he gets up. I'd like to figure out if we can quit using condoms while it's like that.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#40 of 42 Old 08-09-2009, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't gotten to that point in the book yet. However, I know that you (and I) could be fertile. I want to learn how to figure out if I'm ovulating, so i know when to abstain / use a barrier. This book is supposed to be good for that.

#41 of 42 Old 10-01-2009, 11:49 PM

I know this is an older thread, but it seems VBAC is always on my mind.

My planned homebirth this July turned into a hospital transfer and Cesarean. My labor was short (for a first timer) and easy(ish) - even with a malpositioned baby and back labor. I pushed for 6 hours (in every position I'd ever heard of and some the midwives suggested that I hadn't heard of) by the time we transferred. I had pushed for 9 hours by the time the spinal went in. It was a (mostly) necessary section, but not an emergency one by any means. I say mostly necessary because her head was stuck completely sideways in my pelvis and on the one in a million chance we got a provider who would do a high forceps rotation I probably could have pushed her out. But no one here does that anymore and it comes with its own set of risks anyway, so...

Irony of ironies I had one of those nightmare doctors that is the reason many women choose homebirth to begin with.

He started yelling and screaming (no I'm not kidding) the second he walked in the door, did a rough internal on purpose, threatened us with a court order for a c-section even though I never said I wouldn't have one. He also tried to call CPS on us for refusing the ethromycin and Vit K. Thankfully they laughed.

I was perfectly healthy, and so was my baby (apgar of 9), but they would not allow me to see her for 20 hours. I begged and pleaded, attempted to get out of bed immediately after the c-section, everything, and they would not let me. "Hospital policy" because she was in the NICU on antibiotics (because I was GBS+ even though her cultures were negative).

The NICU also fed her though the IV for two days just because it was in. They introduced a bottle first and then let me "try" to breastfeed on day 4. All knowing I wanted to breastfeed her. They had no LC and we were not able to latch. They had arbitrary feeding guidelines (like baby can only be fed for 30 minutes every 3 hours) which made me feel like if I tried to BF, and wasn't successful, that I wouldn't have time to give her the bottle and she would go hungry. We were not able to successfully nurse for 7 weeks. They also kept her an extra three days to give her a sodium supplement (while we were begging them to let her go) but when our Ped called their ped he admitted there was probably no reason for them to keep her. You can bet that bill is in dispute.

Those pictures people post of their babies, just born, naked on a warming tray and screaming their heads off? They break my heart. I just think "That baby needs to be in someone's arms!! That is not the way to come into the world!" And then there was my baby, screaming on a warming tray. The pain I felt made me want to die right then and there. I felt I had failed her in every way. I will never forgive myself or those nurses for that.

I am sorry that is so long. There was so much wrong with that hospital it is hard to make it shorter. I still left out a lot. And people wonder why I'm a birth advocate!

But I feel a little luckier than many. Some women have a fine c-section and anything other than a successful VBAC is emotionally devastating. I had probably the worst experience anyone can have and still have a healthy baby and mom, so while I want a VBAC (so bad it's all I think about) the thing that matters absolutely the most is NOT THAT AGAIN.

I will be seeing my midwife's backup OB for tandem care next time (we plan to wait 18 months to 2 years to TTC), so that if I transfer and need a section it will be different in every way.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#42 of 42 Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 AM

I had DS by c/s for breech two years ago and DD was born four months ago, also by c/s. I wanted to VBAC DD but for a myriad of reasons I am not going to go into right now, I had another c/s. DH is on board with me trying to vba2c for our (hopefully) third child. I plan on waiting to ttc when DD is two. I was really, really, REALLY disappointed to have lost the vbac I had really thought was going to happen for SURE with DD. I had a ton of adhesions after my first c/s, and I am guessing due to the amount of pain I have now, I have a lot more. I HOPE that the pain that I still feel in my abdomen goes away before I ttc again and I'd like to see if I can break up the adhesions I can feel around my scar. Soo, that's what I am doing.
I will admit, I had wonderful hospital experiences, great doctors, supportive nurses and hospital staff. Really, no complaints there, and I realize how lucky I am for that.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page