VBAC or HBAC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious how many of you had a successful VBAC at the hospital & how many went with an HBAC. I'm very much leaning towards an HBAC & have a lay midwife chosen, but tomorrow I'm meeting with a CNM that works with a doctor (in IL CNMs cannot attend HBACs). My lay midwife said she believes my best chances for a successful VBAC are at home. I guess it's just nerves and the what-ifs that keep my from being ready to fully commit to HBAC (I have til May, luckily!) Any thoughts?

Emily, wife to Todd, mommy to John Isaac (May 2007) and excited for #2 in May!
#2 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 PM

I had a VBAC. There are not mamny HB MW where I live and DH was not ready to do it anyways.
#3 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:27 PM

I had a hospital VBAC without intervention. I did not want a home birth (partly for logistical reasons - I had a 2 yo at home and a small apartment! partly b/c my husband wasn't too into the idea, and partly because I had a good hospital and provider to go with). My take: if you want a home birth, have a home birth. If a hospital birth makes you more comfortable, do that. Either way, if you have a supportive midwife or other care provider (my VBAC was with a family practice doc), you are likely to be successful and well supported. Everything has risks, which you need to balance against the benefits. Off the top of my head:
Risks for VBAC at home:
farther from hospital if a problem should arise that is beyond the scope of your midwife's care
no option for pain meds, should you decide you want them
Benefits:
no unnecessary interventions
no need to travel or be away from family

Risks for VBAC at hospital:
possibility for interventions you may not need
possible requirement of EFM, heplock
Benefits:
immediate access to interventions when medically necessary for you or baby
peace of mind (possibly) for you or your family, if they are not comfortable with HBAC
birth is messy - let someone else clean it up!

Of course, there are many intangibles here too. Best of luck with your decision. Is a birth center an option? IMHO, that's the best of both worlds.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#4 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, IL doesn't have birth centers. Disappointing b/c yes, they do seem to be the best of both worlds!

#5 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I've had 3 hospital VBACs.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#6 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM

For me (have not had it yet!) it is a clear decision because I am very unlikely to have successful VBAC in a hospital here. You basically have to have a picture perfect pregnancy.

The dealbreaker for me, is that every "VBAC-friendly" OB here ceases to be VBAC friendly after 39 weeks. Then it's automatic section time. With DD1 being a 42 weeker, I think it is very unlikely I will fit that criteria with a future baby. Barring major medical complications, my babies will pick their birthdays.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#7 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM

My first VBAC was a wonderful hospital experience. Honestly, after losing all my confidence after my very unplanned CS I needed to reaffirm my belief/faith in my bodies ability to birth a baby vaginally. Without that faith, I personally was not able to consider a HBAC last birth. Now that I have had a successful VBAC I am having a HBAC this go round

Birth canters are not an option for VBACS in my state (PA), so that was out of the question.

HTH and good luck with whatever you choose!!!
#8 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 PM

HBAC all the way. I work as a doula and cannot imagine myself having a successful labor in a hospital setting. Many women successfully homebirth and it is very safe for vbacs, especially since there's no pitocin, the number one most dangerous drug for a vbacing mama that is routinely used in vbac labor in hospitals all across the country. Almost every part of the medical process of childbirth is subtlely saying "you can't do this by yourself" and many women find that prohibitive to a natural birthing experience. If you feel strongly about homebirth, go with it.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#9 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 07:54 PM

We went with a HBAC. I didn't feel I'd be able to have a successful VBAC at our hospital (they only see about 10 successful VBACs a year). Dh was on board, so we stayed home.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#10 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 PM

It's a good idea to find out the VBAC success rates of the CNM/DR as well as the hospital in general. That can be a telling indicator of how 'supportive' they truly are. I agree with the PP that mentioned all the interventions that can be pushed upon you once you set foot in the hospital. You are on their turf, and in a moment of weakness/pain, you may submit to whatever.

That's not going to happen at home. What's your midwife's VBAC success rate? That's a good one to know too.

I've got an HBAC planned. I know my local hospital views VBAC mamas as flawed already, what with the 'trial of labour', urging me to opt for a RCS and more. If they think I'm a lemon, I'm not going to set myself up for failure by trying to birth there. I found the more I read about it (including birth stories on MDC) the more I felt confident in the idea and my ability to do it. You've got lots of time to decide. Good luck!

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#11 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM

I have the exact same question though I am not pg yet. Thinking about vbsc vs hbac a lot though.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM

I had a great hospital VBAC. I did have a heplock and continuous EFM, but I was 8cm when I got to the hospital and my baby was born 2.5 hours later. I had freedom of position (I was on my hands and knees almost the whole time including pushing). The hospital did have a telemetry unit for monitoring, but I was well beyond walking the halls when I got there. My midwife had a good reputation for VBACs and I had a doula as well.

If you go with a hospital, be sure to understand your providers restrictions and rules for VBAC. You can negotiate or refuse, but that adds stress so if you know in advance you can either choose another provider or be prepared for the fight.
#13 of 29 Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 PM

I'm hoping for a HBAC. I've had a homebirth before and I LOVED it. I really really want another and to me, the risks of being at home aren't as great as being at the hospital, sadly. And I'm a stubborn PITA. lol

The only thing for me is, I know its a possibility that I'll end up in the same situation as last time (HELLP, cesarean, preemie baby), but in that case, the hospital is fine. Its there for a reason. But at the same time, having another homebirth would be very healing for me-my last one was also supposed to be a homebirth and then all of this happened, he was in the NICU for 4 weeks, and it was sooo hard. It was the complete opposite of what was *supposed* to happen and it was very disappointing and painful, despite knowing it was necessary.

Anywho, I think it depends on your comfort level. I hate hospitals, I generally don't like doctors, and I REALLY hate delivering in the hospital. I wouldn't be at all comfortable there and having to fight interventions and hospital policies is just not what I want. (Nor will I just give in to them either!) But everyone has their own comfort zone and priorities.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#14 of 29 Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM

I could smell which way the coffee was brewing when I looked into hospital VBAC 2 years ago. The "pro-VBAC" OB perkily assured me that she induces on VBAC all the time and it's perfectly safe (yeah if you consider a repeat cesarean as a "safe, successful" outcome!) and warned me that it was "too risky" to "let" me go a day past 40 weeks because I was a VBAC candidate. Good thing I knew that up to 42 weeks is still NORMAL, not overdue, as is often wrongly told to women in this country. And if I had stuck with her against my better judgement, I would have been a repeat cesarean because I happened to go into labor at 40 weeks, 2 days. And it could easily have been 42 weeks.

I felt much better when I walked out and hired a homebirth midwife of long experience including many home VBACs over the years.

And I will be grateful the rest of my life that I chose, along with the homebirth midwife, the ability to labor peacefully, to birth my way, to be respected and supported during labor and birth with no fear-mongering, no hospital germs or hospital procedures that put their best interests ahead of mine.

I pushed out my 10 lb son, with nuchal arm, without a prior vaginal birth, with no problems. He was born en caul, too, which probably made it easier. No OB there to break my waters just to "speed things up" for his or her convenience. Now that I have had my HBAC, I am free from the fear of whether attempting an HBA2C is too risky... I pushed out a 10 lb baby after prior cesarean, and all was well. I am no longer afraid of birth. In fact, it was less painful, start to finish, than a few hours of torture getting to a mere 4 cm on Pitocin had been before. Natural birth is MUCH easier than either surgery or inductions.

I knew, deep in my bones, that any VBAC "attempt" in a hospital was doomed to failure, and the deep sense of dread I had when talking to the "pro-VBAC" female OB disappeared when I finally hired the midwife at nearly 6 months along.

But if you check out ICAN (international cesarean awareness network) you can find out which hospitals and docs are less likely than the rest to get you a repeat cesarean, if you choose that route.

So go with your gut, and know that there are not guarantees, but your chances are far better at home. My midwife had plenty of HBAC experience under her belt, and couldn't have stayed in business if she had as lousy a success rate as hospitals, for VBAC. Word would get around and she'd be finished.

CNMs have to be "team players" with OBs in hospitals. They are nurses, and nurses by definition have to be team players to docs. Even the nicest CNM will still see a VBAC as a disaster waiting to happen, and the old bait and switch (super cheery and supportive of VBAC until the time comes, then talk of big babies, scary statistics, and "doing what's best for your baby" as you get closer, urging you toward interventions that will make it most unlikely that a VBAC will happen) is very, very common. Perhaps not by malevolent intent, but just because they really do think of things the same way OBs do, however hard they deny it. They have to, or they couldn't work with OBs and still sleep at night.

As for me, every birthday (he just turned 2) of my HBAC baby is a gift that keeps giving, and if I have another child, I don't have to live under the specter of whether I "can" VBAC, and it will definitely be another homebirth.

Oh, and birth wasn't messy at my house. The lay midwives really know their business, and there were chux pads where needful. There was no mess for me to clean up, and I got out of the birth pool and went dripping across the house, went upstairs pausing to push with them trailing under me with cloths in case, and pushed him out on my hands and knees at the foot of my bed! No mess for me to clean up. They took care of everything, and most of all, me.

Urban Homesteader, secular homeschooler, HBACer, sewing cloth maxipads, reading Diana Gabaldon, (rhymes with 'cobblestone') hoping for a Star Trek future rather than a Firefly one.
#15 of 29 Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your wonderful words of encouragement! I appreciate hearing of successful hospital VBACs as well as positive HBAC stories. I know what I want to do (HBAC) but I am scared; I think I'd be more scared, however, to enter the hospital while in labor and expect to be treated how I want to be treated and not pushed to do things their way. I don't know the stats for successful VBACs at my hospital, but just the way things went the first time around I know they're not supportive of natural birth. In fact, my main nurse, the one who kept making get out of the shower where labor was manageable and lay on the bed for 30 min where labor was awful, kept asking me if I wanted something to make labor easier and more comfortable. When I finally gave in (I wasn't strong enough to resist while out of the shower & on the monitor) she said, and I quote, "This is the kind of labor I like, because now I can actually help you." Um, really? She didn't do anything before or after I had the epi! Very frustrating. Anywho, just needed to vent I guess! I do think successful hospital VBAC is possible with the right hospital and staff, I just don't think that's what I have. HBAC here I come

#16 of 29 Old 11-10-2009, 01:19 PM

Well duh, she helped you by giving you drugs so you wouldn't be making noise anymore! Just like so many doctors *help* by performing a cesarean...for either no reason or for reasons caused BY them.

I remember reading statements made by OB's before somewhere. So many of them said that to them, a cesarean is the only birth they like. When mom has the baby vaginally they don't get to do anything-with surgical birth, they are doing it all. Very selfish and wrong. Yes, they aren't birthing the baby for the mom in a vaginal birth, but its not about THEM! I mean, even from a doctor perspective, a good doctor would see that cesareans are major surgery, they are painful, have risks, carry a much longer recovery time, and...have risks! Lots of risks! I mean, even my old OB, who was intervention happy, didn't do cesareans without an indication to do one. I mean, I went overdue 2 weeks and we induced, but had that not worked, he said no, we wouldn't section over it. He said we'd wait a few days and see where I was. Even he knew a baby couldn't stay in there forever But he told me that cesarean is much riskier than a vaginal birth so unless he had a good reason to do one, he wouldn't. (Btw, I checked back later and this OB has a 15-20% cesarean rate-much better than the national average!)

Anyway, it seems like many nurses get this same attitude of wanting to control everything and make it about them, not the mama. Of course, that isn't anywhere near the norm-and some are probably truly trying to help, as I'm sure its hard for a caring nurse to watch a mom in pain when they have pain meds right there. And I also think a lot of nurses don't see pain meds as being dangerous at all (dangerous meaning cascade of interventions leading to problems-I don't really know what the direct dangers are of epidurals since my reason for not getting pain meds lies purely for selfish reasons-a non working epidural + being stuck flat on your back = misery) so to them, its better to try and get the mom to take the drugs, be comfortable, and not see them in pain anymore.

I also agree that many CNM's are just as quick to jump to interventions, but not all. Mine was great and while we still induced (I had pre-e), we tried everything but pit first and as I said, she had no problem with me doing everything I wanted. She even told the nurses to shut up when they kept asking me if I wanted pain meds (at 8cms....arg). And there is a great CNM in my area that while I haven't used, my lay midwives refer their risked out clients to because she's great. I've heard so many good things about her So not all CNM's are quick to intervene and freak out. Its just finding a really good, natural minded one that can pose a challenge.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#17 of 29 Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had my appointment with the CNM on Tuesday, and had I not already been "prepared" as to what I'd hear through reading others' experiences, I would have left feeling very unsupported and felt I was already beginning my uphill battle. Instead, I left feeling happy, knowing and being confident with my decision to HBAC!

After introducing herself, the very first words out of her mouth were, "So you want to attempt a VBAC?" There were many other words used like "trial" and "aim for it" used throughout the appointment. Whereas when I talked to my lay midwife about VBAC the first time, she made it sound like yes, I can and will do that! Then the CNM told me my pelvis was relatively small in the front but I had "plenty of room in the back", but she wouldn't want a 10 lb baby. And she told me if I go to 41 weeks (I did with DS) I should "go ahead and schedule a section". Like I said, I'd heard all this before from others who went through a similar experience, but it was still frustrating.

So, bottom line, I'm going to HBAC. I think if I had a supportive CNM and if the hospital was very VBAC friendly, I may go that route. But as it is the above is not true. I think I just needed to try out a CNM to put my mind at ease that I'm making the right choice for a VBAC. And now I do!

#18 of 29 Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Congrats on choosing a HBAC!!!! I just know that you'll do great!

After having gone through all the crud that is thrown at Mamas from the hospital side of birth...working w/ a DEM is just that much better. I truly treasure the experiences I had w/ my CPM.

You won't regret your decision! You CAN do this!!

- Kim
#19 of 29 Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
For me (have not had it yet!) it is a clear decision because I am very unlikely to have successful VBAC in a hospital here. You basically have to have a picture perfect pregnancy.

The dealbreaker for me, is that every "VBAC-friendly" OB here ceases to be VBAC friendly after 39 weeks. Then it's automatic section time. With DD1 being a 42 weeker, I think it is very unlikely I will fit that criteria with a future baby. Barring major medical complications, my babies will pick their birthdays.
This is me, exactly. VBAC in my area is actually "Trial of Labor," not VBAC. They'll "let" you do it if you agree to continuous EFM, hep lock, and section if you haven't gone into labor by 40 weeks. I'm staying home.

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#20 of 29 Old 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACsMom View Post
This is me, exactly. VBAC in my area is actually "Trial of Labor," not VBAC. They'll "let" you do it if you agree to continuous EFM, hep lock, and section if you haven't gone into labor by 40 weeks. I'm staying home.
Yes--that's how it is with me, too. The CNM (nor the doctor I originally talked to) said, Yes, you can VBAC, they said I can try to VBAC and have a "trial of labor". How frustrating! And the monitoring was another huge turn-off; I "had" to be monitored with my first labor every 30 min for 15 min, and that was torturous enough. With a VBAC it would be every 15 min for 15 min. I have little doubt that I wouldn't last long at that rate without pain medication, thus furthering the cascade of interventions! I'm so happy to hear others who are choosing to take matters into their own hands (and homes)

#21 of 29 Old 11-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, even on the NHS (which has a VBAC rate over 30%--what the US had in 1995 or so at the height of VBAC) OBs/GPs/midwives refer to it as trial of labor. My NHS OB (who, I later found out, is a big VBAC advocate and lectures on it) told me I could "attempt VBAC" the next time. This is accepted medical terminology and doesn't necessarily reflect any personal bias on the part of the practitioner. It's not a VBAC until the baby is born.

JohnsMama, that's actually a fairly good protocol for VBAC! Many hospitals require continuous EFM for VBAC. I'd say any hospital permitting ANY intermittent monitoring is pretty supportive.

The thing that always comes to mind in these threads is that HBAC has to be an option in the first place (home birth needs to be available and an appropriate option). For those of us who can't HBAC (I can't--high risk pregnancy), it is important to know that you CAN have a hospital VBAC if you plan appropriately.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#22 of 29 Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 PM

I started out looking into a hosp vbac. There were so many restrictions and rules (no water, CFM, etc.) at the most vbac-friendly hosp, that I figured the only way I could have a successful vbac was to have it at home.

I was prepared to fight. But I just didn't think that fighting for my rights while in labor would lead to successfully opening up and pushing out a baby!

I had an amazing and wonderful hbac.

Good luck mama!!
#23 of 29 Old 11-13-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

The thing that always comes to mind in these threads is that HBAC has to be an option in the first place (home birth needs to be available and an appropriate option). For those of us who can't HBAC (I can't--high risk pregnancy), it is important to know that you CAN have a hospital VBAC if you plan appropriately.
You're right, VBAC in a hospital is definitely possible and the odds of success are increased with the more VBAC friendly the staff, OB/midwife are; there were a lot of people who responded to my original thread with positive, successful hospital VBAC stories. Although I think I could probably have a VBAC here, I'm confident there are many hospitals that are more proactive with VBAC. Good luck to you!

#24 of 29 Old 11-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John'sMama View Post
Unfortunately, IL doesn't have birth centers. Disappointing b/c yes, they do seem to be the best of both worlds!
Unless it is a hospital-based birth center, there is no difference between a birth center and a homebirth other than you have to drive to a birth center. Everything that is available at a freestanding birth center is generally brought to your home by the midwife (I'm sure there are individual exceptions). They can't do any "procedures" in a birth center that they can't do at home. It's just an illusion that somewhere other than your home is safer because we are culturally conditioned that you *go* somewhere to give birth.

Anywho, I did choose HBAC even though there is a truly supportive OB in my area. I felt that the benefits of homebirth outweighed the risks and felt that I would actually be safer with a midwife in constant attendance during my labor as opposed to intermittent monitoring by a machine and seeing the nursing staff once an hour or so in the hospital. I wanted to labor in the way that was most supportive of physiologically normal birth and that includes freedom of movement (and a labor/birth tub, not available in the hospital), freedom to eat and drink as I wish, the comfort of being in familiar surroundings with people I trust, and freedom from unnecessary interventions or the fight that comes with refusing them. Although my backup OB is very vbac supportive, he's not there for the labor, the nurses are. And there's no way to know what kind of nurse you're going to get. I also wanted my baby to be treated with respect and as a person, which I don't see happening very often as a doula at hospital births. All in all, it's a very different environment in which to give birth, not only because it's a physically different space, but because of the attitudes of the people who are around you and what they believe about your ability to give birth normally.

In the end, I had a short labor, pushed for 1.5 hours and birthed my baby girl in a pool of warm water while supported by my husband. My midwife caught my daughter and unwound her from her (> 2' ) long cord wrapped twice around her neck and around her body and leg without drama. She handed me my baby immediately and that was that. I pushed out my placenta, got out of the tub, nursed my baby then ate some cereal. No drama, just my birth day, surrounded by people I chose and trusted who believed in me.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#25 of 29 Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am glad to hear that you are more sure of your home birth choice now that you have talked to an OB.

As a birth professional who has attended numerous VBACs in and out of the hospital, for the sake of lurkers, I think it is important to know that WITH the right care provider, a doula, a good amount of information, truely informed consent, and a strong voice, a woman is very likely to have a VBAC in the hospital.

She is also very likely to have a successful VBAC at home.

The difference I have seen the most is that the women in the hospital have to fight a LOT more to get the "perfect birth" because they are constantly battling the idea that something is going to go wrong.

A woman having a home VBAC with an appropriate provider (every midwife has her "thing" that freaks her out...some get the willies when they think about hemorrhage, others hate breech, still others are freaked out by VBAC...find the one who is not freaked out by VBAC and you're on a good path) just plain doesn't have as many battles to fight. Baby is born and typically? put to the chest and left there. Mom is attended and typically? They look at her, evaluate her needs, are quiet and helpful, and supportive, and expect that everything will be well. there is no "you're a ticking time bomb" assumption. Rather, they look to the mother for her needs, as opposed to following protocols that protect their own legal needs.

A mother who is confident in the research that shows that homebirth (including VBAC) is as safe or safer than hospital birth who wants a home birth and whose pregnancy is normal and healthy should have a home birth. It will tend to be significantly more peaceful, calm, and supportive.

But again, that doesn't mean that with the right circumstances, a successful VBAC cannot be gotten in a hospital setting. In my area, it just tends to be more work to get there.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#26 of 29 Old 11-21-2009, 12:46 AM

That is great. I am sure your HBAC will go great.Glad you found a good CNM. I am pregnant with #2, my son is 2yr 7mo born in Japan by "emergency" c-section. It was the last thing I imagined would happen. I am now back in Canada and really hoping to get in one of the birthcenters in my city. I put my name on the waiting lists on the day I got my faint positive pregnancy test. It is all covered by our nationaly medical insurance but since there are only 2 full birthcenters (the other you can get a midwife and do a mome birth) the supply vs demand is vastly out of proportion so getting a spot is kind of like winning the lottery. I asked at one center about hiring a midwife privately for a home birth if I don't get a spot and she said its not really possible as all of the midwifes are registered with the provincial midwifes organization and they can't work out side of that. ugh. I will have my first doctors appointment on Dec 3rd. I really hope I won't be there for long. I have only met him once before, he seems like a nice guy but it will be interesting to hear their policies. If they don't work for me I will find another Dr. asap. Fingers crossed for the birthcenter!!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#27 of 29 Old 11-21-2009, 01:18 PM

I have had both an unmedicated hospital VBAC and a HBAC. HBAC is MUCH easier. My hospital VBAC baby was 7 lbs. and my HBAC was 9. I highly recommend a birthing pool. It is amazing how uncomplicated child birth can be at home. Good luck!

Ruma
#28 of 29 Old 11-21-2009, 01:58 PM

My hospital VBAC turned into a CBAC. This time I am going for a HBA2C. I had a very supportive hospital/doc too, but I still felt the pressure & the ristrictions. My CBAC was needed due to an infection, not because of anything the hospital did (other than vaginal exams) & there was only 2 of them.

Christa ~ Mom to Hannah (5), Keira (3) & Lexi (17 months)

HBA2C mama

Student doula

#29 of 29 Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 PM

I would never have been able to VBAC at the hospital. Now that I know what a long, all-natural birth feels like, I know with absolute certainty I would have hated being continuously monitored, unable to labor in the water, NPO, getting cervical checks every time someone came in the room. I NEEDED peace, quiet and familiarity in order to do it naturally. I had a 16 hour labor with 3 hours of pushing and no tearing at all.

I know many women who had successful VBACs in the hospital, but I just can't imagine having all the restrictions placed upon me durning such an intense time.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page