The Elusive VBAC ini Central Florida - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a slim chance my DH and I might have another child in the future. My birth experience is as follows...

Baby #1 emergency c-section @ 36 weeks for fetal distress after external version for breech

Baby #2 fabulously easy VBAC, induced but natural otherwise

Baby #3 emergency c-section for prolapsed cord

Baby #4 planned c-section because I am a total idiot

I have one successful vbac under my belt, I have not given birth in 6 years so my womb should be nice and healed lol, and the c/s I had were for random and unrelated reasons.

If we do have a baby I want a VBAC! I have been reading that in Central Florida that is almost impossible to have. I saw some old posts about Dr Gatto, is he still practicing and doing VBACs? Any other options? Basically if I can't find someone is my only option to stay at home and birth or to go to the hospital when the baby is just about falling out of me? I guess I am jumping ahead here since I am not even pregnant but I am just planning for the future and trying to get the reality of the situation.

It really sucks that they sit here and say they do not want to do vbacs because of safety but then they make us do things like think about practically birthing in the parking lot instead

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#2 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM

#3 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 PM

I believe that Gatto is no longer doing VBACs. I could be wrong, so call their office and check. 863-293-1191

You may also call Kelli Johnson who is a licensed midwife who does VBAC, though you'd need to speak with her about the specifics of your case. I don't have her number memorized, though.

Good luck.
#4 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 02:51 PM

can LMs do VBA3C? I thought there were restrictions in FL with VBAmC.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#5 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 02:54 PM

There are not statutory or rule restrictions on number of cesareans. But, an OB must sign off on all HBACs in Florida, due to risk score.
#6 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I actually was thinking about emailing Kelli Johnson and asking if she knew of any options. Honestly now I am kind of nervous about getting pregnant because I do not want another c-section unless there is some emergency and it can not be avoided. I am not really keen on a homebirth, I would be if I had not had so many random things happen to me with my other births. I would rather be close to medical care if we needed it. I live 30-45 minutes from a hospital depending on traffic.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

#7 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM

Hmmm. If you want a hospital birth, then you are going to likely need to find an OB and just abjectly refuse a cesarean. Are you comfortable with the concept of waiting until the last possible minute (i.e. pushing your baby out) to go in to the hospital? Yours is a tough situation.
#8 of 11 Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 PM

I had a successul VBAC at Tampa General Hospital 2 months ago. They were the only hospital in the Tampa area that would allow it. I used the USF Physicians Group as my OB and saw their midwifes throughout the 2nd half of my pregnancy. It was really the nurses at TGH who were awesome and made my VBAC possible.

Cat (30) DH (30) Carissa Grace born 11/3/07 via c/s after fetal distress. Sophia Claire born 10/9/09 VBAC!
#9 of 11 Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Hi catspage, I have just picked the USF group as I intend to do a VBAC delivery, after my emergency c-section 5 years ago. What I'm not sure about is the fact, that every time I have an appointment I have another doctor assigned to me.  I was told I can pick one I like but he/she might not be there when the time comes. So I don't know what to think/do. What was your option? You say, you saw USF midwifes throughout the 2 half of your pregnancy... Is it something you have to ask for? I'd rather be with a midwife as I heard that one has a lower c-section rate with a midwife  than with the doc. I'm totally unexperienced, since my first birth took place in Germany and I'm not from here either. Would be glad to hear your opinion on my issue. Thanks. 

#10 of 11 Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 AM

mamaoftwo, here in the states a midwife is something you definately have to ask for.  When you show up in labor, if you are with an OB practice you are assigned a random on call nurse (Who probably has other patients too), and will be checked in on by her and the random on call OB.  If you are with a midwife practice, you also get the attention of a random on call midwife (who will likely have less other patients than the nurse, so you get more personal attention and from someone with more training around to help out).  Also, the ancilary or extra staff that you meet during prenatal (nurses etc) are usually NOT the same ones who work in the actual delivery rooms.  So while its nice to see the same doctor every appointment, who you end up with when pushing is entirely a matter of chance.  I didn't see my OB at the hospital (no midwife last time) until day 2, the on call OB who did my CS sent her the records in time for my 6 week appointment andthat was it.   With a midwife, your odds of successfully having a VBAC go up (in some cases, dramatically).

#11 of 11 Old 03-18-2013, 11:40 PM

I had a very successful VBAC in central FL on 3-5-12. I used midwife Kaleen Richards with Tree of Life Birthing center. Birthed my little one at Winnie Palmer. Last I heard she had lost the OB that was overseeing her VBACs (he was a douchebag anyway, trust me) but she was working on getting another. My experience with her and her practice was amazing. I really feel that without her support, I would have caved to another c-section if I'd kept being bullied & I'm a pretty strong-minded woman. I had to fight my insurance tooth and nail to get her covered but they finally did! I'm proof you can get a VBAC in CFL but it's pretty hard.

If you're not a member of the orlando ICAN yahoo group, you should join. If you are, you can read about my birth story here if you have any interest! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICANofOrlando/message/21751 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page