Preparing for a VBAC??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am working toward preparing for a VBAC pretty late in the game. I am nearly 27 weeks pregnant and one of the docs at the practice I go to STRONGLY encouraged me to VBAC! So I have been researching like crazy.

NOW... I am wondering what to do between now and 40 weeks to be ready i.e. continue good diet/exercise. But also in regards to midwife and letting labor start naturally (no pitocin) etc.

I have been in mindset of "oh I had a c-section on my first...so this one just go ahead and sign me up again"...so I am feeling really unprepared perhaps physically, mentally, support, midwife, doctor etc. (I posted another thread about transferring docs at this point as well). Agh! What am I doing?!!?
#2 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Deep breaths! You have some time and there really isn't anything special you need to do to have a vbac that you wouldn't do for a normal pregnancy in terms of taking care of yourself. The most important thing is to find a truly supportive care provider (and be sure THAT'S the person who will be with you when you deliver, meaning no huge practices where some docs are supportive and some aren't). You might also consider finding a doula to help you make a plan for your vbac and help guide you to some good information. Good luck!!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your input! I called my current ob (Goodman & Partridge)...here in AZ they are very "popular". They are a HUGE practice with several locations, several docs etc. I asked if I could have them "promise" that I could have a specific doc when I labor. They said - no you will get who's on call. So that was one red flag (I said I don't care which VBAC doc it is...but want one proficient in VBAC...not someone who doesn't support it). So then I said okay well then if I stay with G&P can I hire an outside midwife and have her there? They again said no. So another red flag. Then my 3rd red flag...I was told that the only way I could have a specific doc on a VBAC (which they said they do often) is do be induced - which everywhere I have read...not good to induce a VBAC.

I just got off the phone with my local ICAN rep and she recommended a couple doctors to me. Has anyone used Brittany Hamilton at Mt. Vista or Kristine Brath (spelling could be/probably is off) from Bethenny Womens? I'm looking at going with Dr. Kells in Chandler.
#4 of 12 Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Well, I think it's pretty cool that one of the docs at that practice talked you into considering this option! I'm so lucky to have a wonderful OB who thinks its a wondeful idea for me to VBAC and he will be at the birth for sure so I'm lucky there too... I definitely don't think you are too far along to consider this option or work towards it. Good luck with your new provider. It's a great sign that someone from ICAN rec. them.
#5 of 12 Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 AM

First off it is GREAT that you have chosen this. It is so much better for you and baby and recovery and family to choose to VBAC vs repeat cs. Way to go on the good choice!

Second, I know it can be hard to find a provider who is as supportive as you need (this is one reason why most VBAC moms choose to home birth). If home birth is an option for you, I would recommend that, as you are guaranteed (unless your MW has an extremely booked practice) to have the same care giver. Also, the prenatals are 1 hr long instead of 10 min, and you don't wait half an hr to see them! Also, most MW understand the emotional and psychological side of VBAC. Your success goes WAY up with a HBAC (home birth after cesarean) than with a hospital birth. If not that, maybe a birthing center? If there is one you feel comfortable in, but you do run into a group practice thing, where you get the MW on call in labor, but they are going to be proVBAC regardless.
Where ever you birth, hire a Doula. It's great you got in contact with your local ICAN. That is such a wonderful start. Our Doula for our HBAC is the local leader for ICAN. Have them recommend a Doula for you who has worked with VBACs. They can give you A LOT of knowledge and information and answer any questions you have. If you do choose to hospital birth you will have that constant support with you no matter what OB you end up having. I think if any mom should not go without a Doula it is a VBAC mom.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Silent Knife, Open Season, any Ina May Gaskin books, Birth After Cesarean, The Cesarean Myth, and Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn, are all WONDERFUL books to read. I doubt you will read them all (who knows you may be a super duper speed reader!) but they are great resources. If you didn't do a lot of prep before you last baby, I'd choose Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn as it is an amazing book all around.

For more information on VBAC go to midwiferytoday.com and search VBAC.

A couple things...
1-you can do this. Your body was designed to birth a baby and your baby was designed to be born.
2-learn positions to turn a baby if they are in an unfavorable position (OP).
3-go without any medications as long as possible, especially Pit, as it may cause you to need an epidural, and that may cause more issues combined
4-be mobile, be upright as much as possible when laboring
5-hire a doula
6-eat and drink in labor, even sip soup if you can't keep food down
7-you don't have to have the cEFM, it's not required for VBAC, have a nurse/MW monitor intermittently with hand held device.
8-Hire a doula
9-if you are choosing a hospital birth, labor at home as long as possible
10-hire a doula

There are more tips, but here, I feel are some main things.

Happy Birthing!

ps. Oh, it's not too late to change caregivers, some moms do it at 37 weeks! Never birth where you are not comfortable or with who you are not comfortable with.
#6 of 12 Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 AM

1) Start Red Raspberry leaf tea - some ppl start right away, some only in the last few weeks. You can check http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Pregnancy_Problems.htm and http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...herbaltea.html

2) Start prenantal yoga if you can

3) Eat and drink healthy

4) Take long relaxed walks whenever you can

5) Clean your kitchen floor on haunches or hands and knees whenever you feel up to it

6) Read and see uplifting and inspiring things - stay positive

Good luck!
#7 of 12 Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM

I have red raspberry and nettle here but does anyone know about herbs to help strengthen the sac to prevent a premature rupture? This happened for me last time and since my labor didn't really follow, so after many days of holding off the Dr. I ended up with a c-section. I really want to try and avoid that problem this time. I don't know yet if I will be with a midwife or my Dr. as I am on the waiting list at the birth center (midwife run)and could find out any time up until 30 weeks. I know I will have better luck there but I have to wait. sigh.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#8 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
First off it is GREAT that you have chosen this. It is so much better for you and baby and recovery and family to choose to VBAC vs repeat cs. Way to go on the good choice!

Second, I know it can be hard to find a provider who is as supportive as you need (this is one reason why most VBAC moms choose to home birth). If home birth is an option for you, I would recommend that, as you are guaranteed (unless your MW has an extremely booked practice) to have the same care giver. Also, the prenatals are 1 hr long instead of 10 min, and you don't wait half an hr to see them! Also, most MW understand the emotional and psychological side of VBAC. Your success goes WAY up with a HBAC (home birth after cesarean) than with a hospital birth. If not that, maybe a birthing center? If there is one you feel comfortable in, but you do run into a group practice thing, where you get the MW on call in labor, but they are going to be proVBAC regardless.
Where ever you birth, hire a Doula. It's great you got in contact with your local ICAN. That is such a wonderful start. Our Doula for our HBAC is the local leader for ICAN. Have them recommend a Doula for you who has worked with VBACs. They can give you A LOT of knowledge and information and answer any questions you have. If you do choose to hospital birth you will have that constant support with you no matter what OB you end up having. I think if any mom should not go without a Doula it is a VBAC mom.

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth, Silent Knife, Open Season, any Ina May Gaskin books, Birth After Cesarean, The Cesarean Myth, and Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn, are all WONDERFUL books to read. I doubt you will read them all (who knows you may be a super duper speed reader!) but they are great resources. If you didn't do a lot of prep before you last baby, I'd choose Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn as it is an amazing book all around.

For more information on VBAC go to midwiferytoday.com and search VBAC.

A couple things...
1-you can do this. Your body was designed to birth a baby and your baby was designed to be born.
2-learn positions to turn a baby if they are in an unfavorable position (OP).
3-go without any medications as long as possible, especially Pit, as it may cause you to need an epidural, and that may cause more issues combined
4-be mobile, be upright as much as possible when laboring
5-hire a doula
6-eat and drink in labor, even sip soup if you can't keep food down
7-you don't have to have the cEFM, it's not required for VBAC, have a nurse/MW monitor intermittently with hand held device.
8-Hire a doula
9-if you are choosing a hospital birth, labor at home as long as possible
10-hire a doula

There are more tips, but here, I feel are some main things.

Happy Birthing!

ps. Oh, it's not too late to change caregivers, some moms do it at 37 weeks! Never birth where you are not comfortable or with who you are not comfortable with.

Lots of great infor from everyone! Thanks so much! I have just finished reading "The VBAC Companion" that was really good! I will try to jump into some of the other suggested reading. Also, I'm super exicted to interview my first doula tomorrow...I hope it all works out well because not really wanting to do tons of interviewing!

Any suggestions if you have to have an epidural?? Ways to keep labor progressing with the help of a doula even though have an epidural??

Thanks!
#9 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanegans View Post
I have red raspberry and nettle here but does anyone know about herbs to help strengthen the sac to prevent a premature rupture? This happened for me last time and since my labor didn't really follow, so after many days of holding off the Dr. I ended up with a c-section. I really want to try and avoid that problem this time. I don't know yet if I will be with a midwife or my Dr. as I am on the waiting list at the birth center (midwife run)and could find out any time up until 30 weeks. I know I will have better luck there but I have to wait. sigh.
I agree - would love to know of anything that can strengthen the uterus!!! I read somewhere that vitamin E helps scars, but I'm thinking that might be as the scar is forming...not after. Kind of like neosporin helps healing, but probably doesn't do anything after the fact. Anyone know what we can do?
#10 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM

You've gotten great suggestions from these marvelous wise women so do please take their words to heart! I can't offer anything more, except this on Vit E:

A full year after my csec, I hated how my scar looked and I still had some pain inside, when doing certain yoga stretches (anything that stretched the abs, like back-bending poses). A friend gave me a jar of a high quality Vit E cream, and urged me to try it though I was skeptical. But sure enough, I used it til it was gone--about a month--and not only did my outer scar heal further, my INSIDE scar stopped hurting. Oil soluble vitamins like E, A, D, can indeed be absorbed into your body through your skin, and I am convinced that my external application of that cream did also help further healing of my internal scar.

Good luck! Be strong and high hearted--you can do this
#11 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
You've gotten great suggestions from these marvelous wise women so do please take their words to heart! I can't offer anything more, except this on Vit E:

A full year after my csec, I hated how my scar looked and I still had some pain inside, when doing certain yoga stretches (anything that stretched the abs, like back-bending poses). A friend gave me a jar of a high quality Vit E cream, and urged me to try it though I was skeptical. But sure enough, I used it til it was gone--about a month--and not only did my outer scar heal further, my INSIDE scar stopped hurting. Oil soluble vitamins like E, A, D, can indeed be absorbed into your body through your skin, and I am convinced that my external application of that cream did also help further healing of my internal scar.

Good luck! Be strong and high hearted--you can do this
That is wonderful! Does anyone know the possible effects to baby of using vit e during pregnancy? I know that high amounts of vit a are extremely BAD for baby (that's basically what is in the acne medicine accutane that causes HORRIBLE birth defects). The only thing I could really find googling was this http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5196R920090210 which talks about high amounts of vit e causing heart defect in baby's...I should have done this before I got prego!!!
#12 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmomma View Post
Lots of great infor from everyone! Thanks so much! I have just finished reading "The VBAC Companion" that was really good! I will try to jump into some of the other suggested reading. Also, I'm super exicted to interview my first doula tomorrow...I hope it all works out well because not really wanting to do tons of interviewing!

Any suggestions if you have to have an epidural?? Ways to keep labor progressing with the help of a doula even though have an epidural??

Thanks!
I highly doubt if you have good support from your Doula, and especially if you are able to have hydrotherapy (check and see if you can bring your own tub to hospital if homebirth is out of the question) you will need an epidural. Don't be induced or augmented as there is a train of thought that it increases the risk of rupture (of course other complications as well), You really want to be up and moving around in labor to help the baby move down, there is not much you can do with an epidural to help this process. Look into Hypnobabies, it's medical hypnosis that alleviates the "pain" in labor. Me, after my 27 hr natural labor with my last, I wouldn't call what I went through pain, yes it was intense and powerful, but not painful. You CAN give birth without an epidural, and it's much better for all involved when you do so, and it's not all crazy pain and yelling and screaming. Your Doula should help you out a lot more than you think!

Epidurals DO slow labor. That is proven, and a Dr who is "allowing" a VBAC will be more likely to call it "failure to progress" and take you in for another CS. I'd go without, only when absolutely necessary, which it probably won't be if you educate yourself well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page