Mothering Forum banner

new member lots of questions LOL VBAC/HBAC/PG after ectopic/hypnobirthing AH help so many questions!

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  shellbell76 
#1 ·
hello! I'm a brand spanking new member, mum of one (aged 5) and baby number 2 due sept/oct. I had an emergency cs with my son and in sept 09 i lost a tube due to a ruptured ectopic pg@12 weeks which was very traumatic obviously. I'm finding it hard to really realise i'm pregnant as i'm afraid of msc/ect happening, even though a scan at 4 weeks showed the blob in the right place and clear tube. I'm happy to be pg especially as i was told i'd never concieve naturally then went on to conceive first time (what do doctor's know eh?!) but can't relax and shake off these feelings. I also suffer no morning sickness etc (never have) so it's easy to think im not pg atm! i'm also looking for information on hypnobirthing/vbac/hbac and how to exercise my rights in the uk to get the birth i want. my local hospital is famous for it's awful maternity services and many babies have died in the unit recently (also a very knife happy hospital who would happily hack me up rather than vbac) and im not going to give birth there but im being told i have no choice???

also any advice on hypnobirthing?

thanks for reading!! would really be grateful for a nudge in the right direction

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry I don't have any info on VBAC/HBAC in the UK or on hypnobirthing, but I didn't want to read and not respond (there's nothing worse than seeing 20+ views of your thread and not a single response). You may find more UK specific info in the Finding Your Tribe section, that has region/country specific areas.

Good luck on your VBAC and congrats on your pregnancy! I don't blame you for having trouble believing it after so much loss, I would too.

#3 ·
hey, thank you so much for the response, im going to find that section now! still getting to know the site so im grateful for the pointer

#4 ·
I'm not a very informative resource person, more just there for emotional support!
But, I hope you are successful in finding a provider that will help you! And, if you're interested in a HBAC, I know there are a number of women that can share their stories of success with you! Whichever route you take, I hope you have the birth you hope!

As for the pregnancy and feeling pregnant and so on...I can totally relate with that. I've lost two pregnancies (one before DS and one before DD) and it was always hard when pregnant again. That's WONDERFUL news that you already had an u/s and it's showing that the baby is not implanted in your tube again. That's a GREAT milestone to pass and one that I hope you take some comfort in. I know it does not by any means take away all of the fears, but you are certainly moving in the right direction. I know when I was pregnant with DS AND DD, I went to a specific board that was for women who were pregnant after having a loss. It was nice to talk to other women who were going through similar feelings at the same time. I'm not sure if there is a message board like that on here or not, I was on a different site for that, but it was priceless conversation...just like here has been for my VBAC!

#6 ·
#7 ·
I second the Hypnobabies suggestion. The Home Study Course is great, and you can get a special CD for VBAC affirmations.

I've also PMed your info to a UK mom in my DDC who is having an HBAC. Hopefully she can come on the thread and help you with some UK-specific advocacy stuff.

Good luck!

#8 ·
On the HBAC side of things, as I am an HBACer planned in Sept., there are tons of resources out there. First I would hire a Doula, and a MW who you feel believes in your body completely. We interviewed 9 MWs before choosing one. Our Doula works with ICAN, another great resource for you.

http://www.ican-online.org/

Also, I found this article inspiring, http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ercesarean.asp

If you feel like you still have some emotional distractions from your previous birth, Rebounding from Childbirth is such a wonderful book. It helped me so much in my recovery.http://www.amazon.com/Rebounding-Chi...5990109&sr=8-1

Also, An Easier Childbirth, a Mother's Guide to Birthing Normally http://www.amazon.com/Easier-Childbi...5990130&sr=1-1 is a great book/workbook to help you identify and work through any psychological hurdles you may have. It helped me a lot as I was born by cs as well as all my siblings and then having my first by cs too gave me a huge mental block.

I plan on using hypnobabies too for my birth, but I don't plan on relying on it completely. I think it is great tool to use, and to have if you need it. We took Bradley classes last pregnancy and that was helpful of understanding birth and the power of relaxation. I coped fine with labor contractions with that, but I never got to pushing or transition, which is why I'm gonna use hypnobabies this time, as it's a wonderful tool that I think will be quite beneficial.

Happy Birthing!

#9 ·
Hi there,

I also don't have any UK resources for you. But I successfully VBAC'd in Aug '08 (almost HBAC) and am planning an HBAC in October this year. I found a midwife who believed me and my body's ability to do what it is supposed to. I was also lucky to have found one who had dealt with a rupture before. I had done hypnobirthing with my first and didn't find it too helpful. What I did find helpful during my second pregnancy was seeing a hypno-therapist through the entire pregnancy. She helped me heal the wound of the c-section so it wouldn't come back to haunt me while in labor with my second. I think the most important thing is finding a "tribe" of women who believe in you and are there for you no matter what. I also want to suggest staying away from reading books solely on horror stories of other women's c-sections and just focus on yourself, your birth, your VBAC. I would recommend reading about successful VBAC's instead. Let me know if I can be there to answer any questions...

HTH,
-Michelle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.