Looking for support and labor vibes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 40w4d pregnant and am planning a hospital VBAC (due to insurance and personal reasons). My daughter was born at 38w due to breech presentation and low fluid levels (about 4 cm).

I have been pleased with my OB so far, and I really don't feel like she's treating me any differently than she would be a "normal" patient. Her office protocol is to do twice-weekly NSTs after 41 weeks and an ultrasound for a fluid check, and she'll "let" me go a few days past 42 weeks before getting too antsy to get the baby out. My NSTs are scheduled for 41w3d and 41w5d. So I know I have time, but I am afraid something won't go well with next week's tests and they'll pressure me to get baby out.

We had an "issue" last week where baby failed an NST and then BPP, and I was sent to the hospital, basically for a c-section. But once I got there (in the evening, when baby is usually active), baby looked great and passed the NST and two BPPs (with scores of 6/8 and then 8/8). So I was discharged around 2 a.m. But because these NSTs next week will again be during the day, when baby isn't usually active, I'm afraid of the same type of results. My doctor knows this and recognizes baby might not be too active, but I'm not sure what that will mean when/if it comes down to it.

I was checked today, and I'm 2 cm and 75 percent effaced. I've been having nightly contractions for three weeks, but they always peter out when I go to bed. For three nights in a row I had what I would describe as prodromal labor (more intense and frequent than they had been, unlike anything I'd ever felt) for about five hours each time, but I didn't have any last night. I've been having a few random contractions throughout the day today.

I've been drinking RRLT for weeks now, and I've been inserting EPO vaginally at bedtime for about a week and a half. I'm doing Hypnobabies, and I recently bought the "Come out, baby!" track, but it hasn't done the trick yet. I've been pumping every other day. At my doula's recommendation, I am seeing an acupuncturist tomorrow to try to get these contractions to stick around and turn into the real deal.

I'm not concerned with the fact that I'm past my due date; I know babies don't always come by then. What's getting me discouraged is that all these contractions and the prodromal labor never lead anywhere or turn into the real deal. Every day when they start up, I try not to get my hopes up but do, and then they peter out, which leaves me really disappointed. I'm also concerned that we'll have a repeat of last week's "issue" when I go in for my NST on Monday (provided baby hasn't come by then), and that my doctor will freak and want to send me in for a section. That's why I'm really wanting to work on these natural induction methods now before I get to the point of having twice weekly NSTs and a fluid check (and of course that worries me, since I had low fluid with DD and my fluid was about 8 last week at the BPP).

My doctor wanted me to schedule a section date "just in case," but I told her I wasn't ready to do that. She was actually pretty cool with that, which surprised me. She said we'll just keep watching baby then and see what happens. I'm not willing, and I wouldn't let her cut me open without at least trying some sort of minimally invasive induction method (foley catheter to 3 cm if I'm not already there and then break my waters -- or something similar) first, and I'd have to be past 42 weeks to even do that.

This waiting game is so hard. I guess I don't know what I'm looking for here. I just wanted to share my story and hopefully hear some words of inspiration ... or something like that.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#2 of 9 Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Im right here in the same boat with ya.
Had false labor for 48 hrs and yesterday it stopped.
This morning it all started again with cramping and contractions.
I even went to the hosp on Saturay night. The ob said to call when the contractions became more intense. I dont want another c section, so Im really scared to go back in case he wants to induce me in some way. I wont be induced. Id rather have my 3rd c/s than THAT!!
I feel like days of contractions are getting no where and tiring me out!
Maybe one of us will go tonight.
Good luck
#3 of 9 Old 04-07-2010, 12:57 AM

I feel for you cos that was the situation I went through with my first one too. When it comes down to it, the only source of pressure is the thought that the situation "should" be a certain way, and it's not, right? Easier said than done, but try your best to release that thought, and make peace with things as they are. Here's a wonderful poem from the Ten Month Mama page:

Dear Baby, here beneath my heart,
I thought that you might come today;
The timing seemed just right.

But the stars are out
And the moon is high
And sheepishly I wonder why
I try to arrange the plans
Of God.

For now I know
You will not come
Until the One who holds eternity
Rustles your soft cocoon
And whispers in tones that I will not hear,
"It's time, precious gift."

"Now it's time."

-by Robin Jones Gunn
#4 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 08:49 AM

You'll do great! It sounds like you have a supportive doctor which makes a big difference, plus your body is already preparing!
I just had a VBA2C in the hospital at 42 weeks and I failed an NST/us that week from lack of baby movement. It was a typical quiet time for her and on top of that, I was dehydrated. So, drink lots of water before your NST's/us is my suggestion.
Good luck and happy labor vibes!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#5 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post
Im right here in the same boat with ya.
Had false labor for 48 hrs and yesterday it stopped.
This morning it all started again with cramping and contractions.
I even went to the hosp on Saturay night. The ob said to call when the contractions became more intense. I dont want another c section, so Im really scared to go back in case he wants to induce me in some way. I wont be induced. Id rather have my 3rd c/s than THAT!!
I feel like days of contractions are getting no where and tiring me out!
Maybe one of us will go tonight.
Good luck
Maybe your body is getting the baby in an optimal position for spitting him/her out pretty quickly...Sleep as much as you possibly can! and keep hydrated
#6 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 PM

Well, the way I solved this dilemma actually, in January when I had my VBAC was to have my membranes stripped. I'd been having contractions on and off for a couple of days and that started labor in earnest. I had her at 2.59pm the following day. The membrane stripping was not bad at all and had my body not been ready, she wouldn't have gone into labor. It was an incredible and amazing experience, the birth!

Any "start labor" methods will only work, after all, if your body is actually ready. If you're 2cm dilated I betcha a little membrane sweep will help move things along without much intervention after that XXX

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#7 of 9 Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies.

I'm thinking about calling my doctor's office tomorrow to see if she'll agree to sending me to the hospital for NSTs in the evening, when baby is active, instead of during the day at her office. I am really worried baby won't respond well and we'll have a repeat of what happened last week. And if she says no, I'm going to demand she agrees to it.

And until then, I'm going to pray that baby comes before we get to that point. I am getting so discouraged, and it's hard to stay positive.

Married 6.10.06   Mommied 4.17.08 and 4.12.10

#8 of 9 Old 04-10-2010, 07:15 AM

If nothing else, try to drink some really cold juice (orange juice always does it for my baby) before the tests to get a few good wiggles. Good luck!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#9 of 9 Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM

-----My doctor wanted me to schedule a section date "just in case,"-----

This is silly, I am sure you will be able to have one at any time!!!!!UGG

IT is hard being under that pressure, it is hard just to relax. I think some women have a flight/fear response to all that pressure and feeling 'under the microscope'. I know I would!

If you can, try to NOT THINK ABOUT IT for a day or more. Do some stuff that you wouldn't normal do as a pregnant woman awaiting labor like museums, daytrips etc.....

Thinking of you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page