Hospital Policy to Induce - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's great that you have come to an agreement with your OB. Deep down, I think *most* doctors are happy to defer to whatever the mom wants at the end of the day, so long as they are absolutely convinced that mom is making an informed decision and that they've had a chance to say their peace.

Slightly off topic, I suspect many docs take an approach similar to how I interview potential PhD students (I'm a prof). I ask them many questions about their motivations and do my best to tell them all of the reasons that they DON'T want to pursue a PhD. If, at the end of the day, they still want it badly enough, then I know they will have the level of commitment that it takes to complete one.

Now, I'm not saying that this is the best/right approach to take when delivering healthcare, (in fact, I think it's NOT! Having a baby and spending 4+ years in graduate school are two entirely different undertakings!) It's just an observation....

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#32 of 37 Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM

What an odd policy! The more evidence-based OBs and MWs use labor induction only as a last resort before RCS, since it does bump up the uterine rupture risk. You should be able to decline induction per the hospital's Patient's Bill of Rights, which generally has some spiel about being able to decline anything, anytime. And I would show them the newest ACOG guidelines.

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#33 of 37 Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltroy View Post
I ask them many questions about their motivations and do my best to tell them all of the reasons that they DON'T want to pursue a PhD.
OT, but I wish someone had asked me that, before I spent 6.5 years of misery getting my Ph.D.!

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#34 of 37 Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsberman View Post
AustinMom - I just have to say I love your "four phrases" and I will keep that in mind for whenever my time comes.

OP good luck with your VBAC.
You can TOTALLY keep it and please tell it to other women! Our Doula mentioned those when we were earlier on in our pregnancy, and I plan on using it when I'm a Doula and tell all my galfriends the same things so they have time and choices too.
#35 of 37 Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the Update! I am so relieved to hear some reason from your OB
Good Luck momma!!!
#36 of 37 Old 08-06-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

If only I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't be in this spot. How do you deal with the regrets of getting cut in the first place, and the feeling that you have let all your future children down by failing the first???
Oh, I feel your pain, Mama! Please don't let yourself feel like a failure. I saw in your signature that you are a Mama of faith, so I will ask you frankly, do you believe God was in control of what happened to you? It helps me so much when I start feeling regrets and fears that I've hurt my future children's chance at life to remember that I did the best I could and that God WAS in complete control, and that even though things didn't happen in the way I thought was best, He decided that it was a good gift for me (James 1:17) and so I have to trust Him with it just like I trust Him with my salvation and every other part of my life! I'm remembering and praying for you! I know you will make the best decision(s)!

Am thinking that you might be in the middle of everything now. . . so excited to hear how things are going!
#37 of 37 Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 PM

To you and other overdue VBACers, here's what I did:

On the morning of my scheduled induction, I called the hospital and said I wasn't coming because I was having ctx (I was the night before but they had petered out during the day). Then later in the day, or maybe the next day, call and schedule appt with OB in their office and say, "Huh, the ctx didn't last. Oops!"

Repeat this until your baby comes.

My OB at one point said, "Guess you can't drag people into L&D kicking and screaming."

Also, don't make them feel guilty when they say that they only can fit you in at a certain time, blah blah blah. They induce and section ladies on demand all the time!

High-altitude mama sweatin' it out in the South. Mama to DS, Feb. 07, and DD, April 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page