Would you lie about how many c/s's??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Purely hypothetical question....

If your OB had NO way of getting your previous records and allowed for VBA1C but not VBAMC, would you lie and said you had had one c/s?

For the sake of this argument, no other OB is willing to do a VBAMC and homebirth is in no way an option at all. So basically- lying is your only way of avoiding a c/s.

What would you do? Lie, or take a 3rd, 4th, 5th c/s?

ETA: This really is just hypothetical. Dont worry about me or my OB!!!

Mama to nine gorgeous babies, with finale #10 due April'14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No. I don't believe in lying to begin with, and I don't see how you can build any type of relationship, even a professional one, if you're starting out with lies. If I couldn't get anyone to take me while being honest, UP and show up at the ER in labor, I guess.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:53 PM

i would rather UP/UC than lie to an OB. i don't see the point in hiring an OB if i'm not going to give them my case history and use their expertise. but if i wanted to have an OB as backup i would be honest so that the OB knew my history in case there are complications later on. then i would just have an "oops it went so fast i didn't make it to the hospital" birth.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM

Nope.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:15 PM

Absolutely not to a healthcare provider, for any reason.

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Nope. And I am in the situation right now. I can not find anyone willing to attempt a VBA2C with me.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I think it would depend. If my birthing experience included both vaginal and surgical births, and the reasons for the c-sections were not likely to recur, I think I would be okay with fudging the numbers of each type of birth, but I don't think I would feel comfortable claiming to have had a previous vaginal birth if I hadn't, and I wouldn't feel comfortable hiding the reasons for the c-sections if there was any chance they could be relevant. I wouldn't want to lie, and would work my butt off finding another option, but if I had to choose between a lie or unnecessary surgery I would probably go with a lie.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
No. I don't believe in lying to begin with, and I don't see how you can build any type of relationship, even a professional one, if you're starting out with lies. If I couldn't get anyone to take me while being honest, UP and show up at the ER in labor, I guess.

As much as we should have rights to birth how we choose they also have the right to decide what they will and won't allow in their practice- whether I agree or not.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 PM

I was in that situation. Could have lied and said I only had 1 c/s instead of two. I can't lie about it though. For one I'd like them to know I'd have some extra scar tissue in the event of an emergent c/s. I'd rather go along with my OB's plan to do a cba2c and then just push the date of the surgery as far as possible and show up at the hospital pushing or UC.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope. I wouldn't lie.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM

I agree with what several others have said. I would see the OB throughout my pregnancy, push the date of the scheduled C/S as far forward as possible, and not show up. If I got fired by the OB, I would show up to the hospital pushing. (Or show up in active labor and refuse the C/S.)

Rachel....

Wife to DH...

SAHM to C (2.5 years)

Old 06-01-2010, 12:35 AM

No no no. C-sections leave internal scarring. With each c-section you have, the risk of placenta complications goes up. If the OB didn't know about the previous c-sections and has no reason to consider potential scarring, they might overlook a placenta grown into scarring or something along those lines, which could prove to be a BIG problem in the delivery room.

I know it's tempting to lie about it. (I've been there, after 3 c/s). And it's reallllly hard sometimes to find someone willing to do a VBAC. But there are people out there. Find a doula through DONA and they can almost always hook you up with SOMEONE willing to do a VBAC! Don't give up and just keep looking.

If all else fails, get copies of your previous medical records and labor at home until you are just about ready to push. Then quickly transport to the hospital where they won't have a chance to intervene.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 AM

No, I wouldn't lie to a HCP

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM

I would not. It's wrong to lie and I would live with the guilt, regardless of how things went.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM

As much as I'd love to find a provider to take me on for a vba4c someday, no, I couldn't lie about it.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

As much as we should have rights to birth how we choose they also have the right to decide what they will and won't allow in their practice- whether I agree or not.
Soooo..... their right to run their practice as they choose is more important than a woman's right to have her child - a huge life event for all involved - however she chooses?

REALLY!?

I would lie. Without regret. It's too big a deal not to. When did doctors become the gods who get to decide how our lives get to happen?!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Old 06-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
Nope. And I am in the situation right now. I can not find anyone willing to attempt a VBA2C with me.
Are you willing to give up the birth of your dreams because too many doctors have been sued by too many people? Repeat c-sections are not medically sound; they're based on insurance pricing. It's not a medical reason, it's financial. Too many of us are letting big industry steal everything we have; even our births.

Sorry if I'm sounding harsh. My cousin just had her 3rd c-section last week because some doctor told her after 12 hours of labor with her 1st child that she was 'never going to dilate' and they should just do a section. She's never felt any of her children be born because some doctor thought that 12 hours of labor was too long! For a 1st baby!!!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
Are you willing to give up the birth of your dreams because too many doctors have been sued by too many people? Repeat c-sections are not medically sound; they're based on insurance pricing. It's not a medical reason, it's financial. Too many of us are letting big industry steal everything we have; even our births.

Sorry if I'm sounding harsh. My cousin just had her 3rd c-section last week because some doctor told her after 12 hours of labor with her 1st child that she was 'never going to dilate' and they should just do a section. She's never felt any of her children be born because some doctor thought that 12 hours of labor was too long! For a 1st baby!!!
Yeah I get it I really do. I have had two attempted homebirths that resulted in 2 c setions. I would love to give it a third try. More then you can imagine. However I am not going to further compromise my care by lying to a Doctor, no matter how wrong in thier thinking I think they are. I would not be able to explain what led to the sections. As each happened for a different reason I woud have to omit an important part of my medical/labor history. I want Doctors to be straight with me so I must be straight with them and lying to care providers will get us no where. I am still looking and hopfully will find someone who is on the same page as me but I will not deny my history to get there.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:

I had three c-sections and, believe me, the doctors can tell when they get in there by how much scar tissue you have. Believe it or not, there are risks associated with having previous incisions, as came to light when my placenta with my third baby grew into the previous incision scars and covered both the incision and my cervix. Had I lied about my medical history - especially something as important as how much scar tissue and holes have been cut into my uterus! - I might have had a bleeding problem when they assumed the placenta would move and it didn't, because of the amount of scar tissue. This is not safe advice to give to someone. Yes, it is VERY important for a woman to have the birth she wants, but it's also important that she doesn't lie and create potential complications and medical issues for her and her baby! There are people out there, even if they are just lay midwives from Amish country, who will assist you in your VBAC - without you having to lie. It's a lot of work finding a practitioner and preparing, but that's part of the responsibility of having a baby. I'm not saying I wouldn't lie because I would feel guilty lying to a practitioner. But what if something happened and the baby died or was injured as a result of your little white lie? How would you live with that guilt?

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 PM

No I would not lie. I want my relationship with my HCP to be based upon trust and communication especially since I have had multiple C/S. Lying about my previous medical history is not a good start to that relationship, if the MD is uncomfortable with my desire for a VBAC, well then I would just keep shopping, and if I couldn't I understand my ability to consent or not to consent to a procedure.

babymae- I get the hurt and frustration you have with the system because of your cousin's outcome. But at the same time - its her body, her birth, and her choices which have been made. Some C/S are necessary and others well fall into the that unnecessary category, lying about a medical history starts to ruin it for everyone else in terms of trust between doctors and patients. A great example of this a hospital's requirement for infants to receive the Hep B vax.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM

No way.

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:22 PM

Tough one. I'm not really qualified b/c I've never had a c/s, but still...

There are circumstances under which I would lie. Probably if the reason for the first section was unlikely to repeat itself, if I was no more than VBA2C, and if I could have had the scar ultrasounded by a qualified person prior to labor...

That combo seems unlikely. However, scar tissue and placenta accreta can occur after a 1st section. If I felt the surgery itself was riskier than the surgeon getting a surprise while he was in there...

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Old 06-03-2010, 03:10 AM

Ultimately, it really wouldn't make a difference WRT safety. People scar differently. Someone with only 1 c/s might have more scar tissue than someone w/ 3 c/s. A VBAMC doesn't call for anything different from a VBAC.

I've had 2 c/s...the 2nd had a J incision which does increase the risk for a UR. After dealing w/ the junk thrown out by OBs from just a straight VBAC, I was planning a HB. When I was thrust into the medical world w/ PTL at 28 weeks, I was faced w/ this decision...to lie or tell the truth. I was 100% honest. If I had to do it again, I'm not sure I would be as honest the 2nd time.

If I had lied, I wouldn't have had an OB try to force a c/s at just 28 weeks. Nor would she have freaked out on me...asking if I had a death wish. If I had lied, I wouldn't have been badgered over and over and over and over. If I had lied, I wouldn't (in theory) have been lied to by OBs. If I had lied, I wouldn't have continually heard about the tragic and extremely sad stories of pregnancies with heartbreaking outcomes. Most importantly, if I had lied, I would not have been released from the hospital when I should NOT have been....thus resulting in DD being born at just 30 weeks. She spent 48 days in the NICU. Her heel was pricked every 4 hours for the first few weeks. She was on a vent for days. She at through a tube. She caught a hospital acquired infection...meningitis. Her home was an isolette instead of a wrap holding her next to my skin. All because I didn't lie.

If I had to do it over again, would I lie? Damn straight I would lie. I would lie my backside off.

- Kim
Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Soooo..... their right to run their practice as they choose is more important than a woman's right to have her child - a huge life event for all involved - however she chooses?

REALLY!?

I would lie. Without regret. It's too big a deal not to. When did doctors become the gods who get to decide how our lives get to happen?!
It absolutely is their right to decide what kind of risks they are comfortable taking within their medical practice just as much as we have the right to choose a provider that best suits our beliefs and needs. Not giving your Dr your complete medical history, including the number of C/S's, is irresponsible plain and simple. If I ever didn't feel comfortable being completely honest with my care provider I would take that as a big sign that it was time to find a new doctor, not start lying and omitting bits and pieces of my medical history.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
Ultimately, it really wouldn't make a difference WRT safety. People scar differently. Someone with only 1 c/s might have more scar tissue than someone w/ 3 c/s. A VBAMC doesn't call for anything different from a VBAC.

I've had 2 c/s...the 2nd had a J incision which does increase the risk for a UR. After dealing w/ the junk thrown out by OBs from just a straight VBAC, I was planning a HB. When I was thrust into the medical world w/ PTL at 28 weeks, I was faced w/ this decision...to lie or tell the truth. I was 100% honest. If I had to do it again, I'm not sure I would be as honest the 2nd time.

If I had lied, I wouldn't have had an OB try to force a c/s at just 28 weeks. Nor would she have freaked out on me...asking if I had a death wish. If I had lied, I wouldn't have been badgered over and over and over and over. If I had lied, I wouldn't (in theory) have been lied to by OBs. If I had lied, I wouldn't have continually heard about the tragic and extremely sad stories of pregnancies with heartbreaking outcomes. Most importantly, if I had lied, I would not have been released from the hospital when I should NOT have been....thus resulting in DD being born at just 30 weeks. She spent 48 days in the NICU. Her heel was pricked every 4 hours for the first few weeks. She was on a vent for days. She at through a tube. She caught a hospital acquired infection...meningitis. Her home was an isolette instead of a wrap holding her next to my skin. All because I didn't lie.

If I had to do it over again, would I lie? Damn straight I would lie. I would lie my backside off.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 06-04-2010, 04:19 AM

I wouldn't lie about the number of c/s I had although I can understand the frustration and temptation to do so.

I'd be like the previous poster... show up in ER pushing & refuse to consent for c/s if I couldn't find a provider willing to take me.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
She's never felt any of her children be born because some doctor thought that 12 hours of labor was too long! For a 1st baby!!!
What do you mean, she's never felt any of her children be born? Was she under general anesthesia each time?

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
What do you mean, she's never felt any of her children be born? Was she under general anesthesia each time?
You know I am glad you brought this up. Even though neither of my children where born vaginally I very much felt the moment they left my womb and entered the world. The feeling of lightness and the sort of wooosh feeling was unmistakable.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
You know I am glad you brought this up. Even though neither of my children where born vaginally I very much felt the moment they left my womb and entered the world. The feeling of lightness and the sort of wooosh feeling was unmistakable.
I'm glad This makes me feel much better about my cousin getting to experience birth. Thank you for saying this

To answer the pp, what I meant was, she'd had 3 c-sections, so she'd never felt any of her children be born vaginally.

User Tag List