Mothering Forum banner

NST tonight (41 weeks)

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CookAMH 
#1 ·
I'm meeting my midwife tonight for a non-stress test at the hospital, which I'm okay doing. I would however, like to talk to her about the "what if" possibility of not going into labor before 42 weeks. The standard here is to induce at 42 weeks, but I can decline. My daughter was born via c/s (on week 42) after my waters breaking (with mec) at 41+6, and 26 hours of labor (and a LOT of medical intervention later).

Is there anything I should be asking her, or anything I need to know if I do make it to 42 weeks without going into labor on my own? My "plan" at this point is to carry on with the pregnancy for however long it takes, providing that the baby is not under any stress or there is no medical reason to induce, but I don't know what I need to do (or know) to keep my baby safe. I'm scared to death.

Advice?

#2 ·
So baby is healthy and active (and reactive) and doing great. I'm about 90% effaced, and 3.5-4cm dilated. She did a sweep (one of the few ways to induce that I'm okay with) and stretched me to a good 4. Baby's head is at about -2 station (I thought for sure he was lower!).

We discussed the waiting and basically she said that if I decide to not induce, that the risks of stillborn greatly increases past 42 weeks (anyone got info on this?), and that she would suggest that I do an ultrasound to check baby's weight (which is rarely accurate, and scares a lot of women more than it helps them) and placental health, and do daily NST's. And even with the information that these two tests might give me, it doesn't assure me that everything will go well, and the risks of a stillborn are still quite high. She also suggests that I try the cocktail (verbena, castol oil, juice, and almond butter) before my 42nd week. Since this is a way to kick start a natural labor, I didn't object.

She also suggests that next friday (42 weeks) we would meet with an OB to discuss it more to my specific concerns (and also to determine if I'm at a higher risk).

In case of medical induction, my options are to start with breaking of the membranes (she said the head is so low that there's little to no risk about a prolapsed cord), and if labor doesn't start within an hour or two, then we would induce with the oxytocin. This means vaginal exams after breaking the waters (which I am NOT okay with), and quite possibly an epidural (I remember the pain quite well from my first labor).

I don't know where else to go from here... My legs are WIDE open and everything else is crossed tightly that none of this will matter...

#3 ·
I found this table from the BMJ. I'm not the best interpreter, but maybe you'll get something out of it!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...4c0N0x1d91058/

Another week is a lot of time. You are at a 4 and almost totally effaced; my money is on you not making it to 42 weeks.

#4 ·
I wanted to say good luck! But also, are you doing any of the other things? I have heard that acupuncture can be very effective, as can nipple stimulation w/ a breast pump or partner, and rubbing the acupressure point between the thumb and forefinger. I have a book Called Herbal for the Childbearing Year, it says castor oil and blue cohosh are also effective. I took castor oil when my water broke and labor didn't start right away. It was not a fun way to start labor, but it did work. I would not do that again unless I really had to.
I hope things all go well for you!

#5 ·
I don't have proof of this, but I went to the chiro the day before I went into labor at 38w with my first (so, normally late) and he "stirred things up". My water broke the next day. I had been going to him for good alignment, etc for weeks but he did something different that time. Find a chiro who does the webster method.

I read an article in my Bradley class last year that discussed risk of stillbirth not increasing UNTIL 43 weeks.

You sound VERY ready to go with the progress/signs you have. A week from now, when you will be 42 weeks, is still a long time when it comes to having time to go into labor. You will do great, and you will have a vbac!!

#6 ·
Thank you for your support!

cookAMH: I see a chiropractor (or I try to) on a regular basis, but I switched to one who specializes in pregnancy and children back in March because I was having some pretty intense hip/pelvic pain and suffering so badly from SPD that I could barely walk. Over the last few weeks, I see her twice per week. I LOVE my chiropractor. The difference between 3 weeks ago and today is astounding. I don't think VBAC would even be a possibility without her help.

I haven't tried acupuncture, but I have been doing my own acupressure with no luck so far. I'm a bit leary of the nipple stimulation because I know it can cause contractions to become stronger than usual, but with less effect. Since my partner doesn't work on weekends though, I might try it this weekend though and see what happens.

I was 100% effaced and around 2cm with my daughter for several weeks before I my water broke, and I was still induced at 41+6. I think I'm just afraid that the same thing is going to happen with this one (that my body won't labor on it's own). I'm trying really hard to let go of that and trust my body, but as some of you know, the closer you get the harder that becomes!

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmom View Post
Thank you for your support!

cookAMH: I see a chiropractor (or I try to) on a regular basis, but I switched to one who specializes in pregnancy and children back in March because I was having some pretty intense hip/pelvic pain and suffering so badly from SPD that I could barely walk. Over the last few weeks, I see her twice per week. I LOVE my chiropractor. The difference between 3 weeks ago and today is astounding. I don't think VBAC would even be a possibility without her help.

It can be SO hard to trust that your body will do what God made it to do, and like you said, especially in the throws of those last days and weeks.

I had SPD too and looking back, that kept me from doing deep squats later in labor, and I just wonder how that might have helped keep me from my c/s
. Oh well. I also went to the chiro for my pubic pain and it helped a lot. Did you have SPD with your first pregnancy? I'm wondering what it'll be like next time. I aggravated it with some leg weight machines I was doing before I knew what it was....maybe if I don't do that next time it'll be better. I *occasionally* feel it now.

Anyway, keep reading good vbac stories

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
Did you have SPD with your first pregnancy? I'm wondering what it'll be like next time.
The ONLY problems I had with my first was an almost prolapsed cervix in the first trimester (it was back up by itself, thank goodness), and extreme tiredness. Aside from that, my first pregnancy was an absolute dream, right up until my water broke. I had no SPD whatsoever, but this one's completely different. I feel like an old lady who's lost her walker. Walking in general, rolling over in bed, FORGET about walking up or down stairs... The pain is horrible, or it was before I started seeing my chiro. And having to chase around a busy toddler certainly doesn't help.

Update:

There's no update to tell, really. I feel horrible again (I felt okay before the sweep), but the vaginal pressure and SPD is out of control, more so today than yesterday. I've also had so much snotty mucus discharge that I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong. I lost the plug twice last weekend, and it was your normal giant light brownish glob of jelly, but this is more like what you blow out of your nose. Yellow snotty slime. And it's EVERY time I wipe (and several clumps fell into the toilet as well).

But no labor yet, but hopefully this means something is about to happen. Today would be nice, as my partner has to work tomorrow if labor doesn't start (he can only take so many days off).

Legs wide open please, everything else crossed.

#9 ·
You are getting so close.

Have you ever iced the sore area from SPD? That actually helped me some, that is, if you can find a moment to lay down and ice it. I hear ya about rolling over in bed, especially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.