VBAC complete! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was born sunday night (May 30th) at 11:48pm, 8lbs 14oz, by a med free natural birth. It was AMAZING, and I never want to do it again.

He was 9 days past due.

Labor started off at home, where I have been having on/off contractions for easily 2 weeks. A NST and membrane sweep on friday kick started a LOT of discomfort over the weekend, and I went into what I knew was "something different" at around 5:00 on friday night. So I put everyone on alert (just incase) and went to bed to try to sleep, and by 7 I knew this was it. By 8:00 my midwife and both my doulas were at my house. I was already dilated to 7 (with a surprisingly small amount of pain) so it was decided that I should go to the hospital. I wanted to try for a homebirth, but with all the complications I had with my daughter, I felt more safe at the hospital. And I'm glad I went because I got the midwife room, complete with a water tub!! YAY!

I did most of my laboring in the water (aka heaven), but my bag of water never broke and labor was not progressing, even though I reached 10cm quickly. It was decided that breaking them would speed things up and help him decend, so I got out of the water and agreed to manually do that. He dropped immediately, so I got back into the water to push. As it turned out, gravity (or lack there of) was working against me so I got out to hang over the squat bar, and one hour later, he was born.

I have SUCH a strong respect for you women who have long med free births. I was calm and controlled until the real pushing started, and then I turned into the biggest wimp ever. I was tired, and completely out of resources. I pushed, I screamed, I tore (3rd degree), and then, a baby was delivered to my chest.

I didn't get the waterbirth I had dreamed of since my first birth, but I got my VBAC. The whole thing happened really fast. I pushed for almost exactly an hour, and although 5 hours went pretty quickly, an hour of pushing was about all I could do without passing out right there on the table. Even with the threats of another c/s, I was finding it hard to keep going.

AND HUGE THANK YOUS to everyone who gave me advice and support throughout this whole ordeal. It's been a horrible pregnancy (morning sickness, extreme dizziness, anemia/low thyroid, multiple colds/flus, pmeunonia, septicemia, stomach flu, SPD, the list goes on), and I was beginning to think that my dream of a natural childbirth might not happen. I'm in a LOT of pain between the stitches and rectal swelling (things they don't tell you!), but this is a breeze in comparisson to what I've been through over the last nine months. Especially with having to take care of my daughter (she's 20 months old).

I've truly been blessed with a beautiful healthy boy (which was of course my biggest concern during this pregnancy), and now all I can hope for is a speedy recovery so I can enjoy him a little more.
#2 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 AM

SWEET!!!

No lazy uterus for you, eh?

Yes, recover fast....get some help around the house and with your other LO! If you don't have it already, believe me you will recover much faster and easier if you get a week or better yet 2wks when you don't have to be much responsible for chores. A tear like that can heal well if you keep the pressure off and use ice and such--but can take a very long time to heal well/completely if you have to be active during this first week or 2.

Again, congratulations! Job wondrously well done
#3 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 AM

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#4 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Fantastic!

I haven't been following your pregnancy, but I LOOOOVE to hear a good, happy VBAC story.

---Jessica---Livin' my life from A Peace.gif(1/05 ) to Z  jammin.gif(4/08 ).....and z babyf.gif(3/11)

#5 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Yay, sgmom! I'd been looking out for updates from you, and so happy you got your VBAC! Kudos to you for your determination and perseverance. Congratulations!
#6 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 02:16 PM

Congratulations on your VBAC and your sweet baby boy sgmom!

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#7 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM

Yay. Take it easy so you can recover well can. Congratulations. It is wonderful how things come together and work out in the end. Maybe not necessarily exactly as planned. Enjoy your new little one.
#8 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I am so so so so happy for you!!!!! I am glad you went sooner than later with how you were feeling last week, even not having to endure several more days.

I am so thrilled you got your VBAC. So inspiring to us all. And what a beautiful birth.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#9 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 PM

WOW! Look what you did!! What a great story. Congrats! Enjoy your new baby.

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
#10 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 03:59 PM

YAY!!!! Congrats! I had been thinking about you! Way to go mama! So glad your little one is here...and mama, you did GREAT!!!!!!!! Congrats on your new addition AND your VBAC!!!!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#11 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Congratulations on your vbac and new baby!

SAHM to Kaylynn 12, Alec 10, Gideon 5 and Silas my hba2c baby born 4/12/10! h20homebirth.gif  vbac.gif cd.gif bftoddler.gif

#12 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Congrats on your baby and your wonderful birth!!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#13 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Congratulations on your VBAC!!
Enjoy your new son.
#14 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I dream of the day when I have a VBA3C! Your story is inspiring to those of us still waiting for our dream births. Enjoy that baby and hope the tear heals quickly!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#15 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations!
#16 of 26 Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Congratulations! I was just logging on to check on you!
#17 of 26 Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Awww! You guys...!!

I'm still in a bit of a state of "I can't believe it really happened", but the reality hits me every time I go to sit down or stand up...

When my daughter was born, I never felt like I gave birth... because I didn't. I had surgery, and a doctor removed her from my uterus. It took a long time for us to really connect (a couple months, at least), and it felt like forever before I really felt like she was mine and got to know her. And it didn't help that she was a copy of her father and looked nothing like me.

I feel almost guilty at how I connected with my son almost immediately. I think I was expecting that whole "getting to know you" period, but having an all natural birth for me was one heck of an experience, and worth EVERYTHING I went through to get it.

Thank you again for all your help and support. And what a great surprise to see so many wonderful replies! You all rock.
#18 of 26 Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 AM

Awesome! I can't WAIT for that and I'm not even pg yet...lol.

Post a pic if you can

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#19 of 26 Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 AM

Great! Congratulations!! So glad all went well and that you got your vbac!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#20 of 26 Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Awww Congrats!!! I love happy endings!!

Get lots of rest!!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#21 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM

Congratulations! I am planning a HBA3C in August. Your story helps inspire me!

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Compound heterozygous MTHFR and Prothrombin 2 mutation.

hbac.gif homeschool.gif         chicken3.gif

#22 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! My situation was kind of unique as having another c/s would have been horrible for me. My partner can only take a couple weeks off of work, and I don't have any family here to help with the kids once he goes back.

Another c/s was OUT of the question, so I did everything I knew of to do, to prevent another one from happening (if I could help it). And I truly believe that chiropractic care is what really made it happen. I started going twice a week to someone who specializes in pregnancy when I was about 7.5 months along, and the difference between then and just before I went into labor was mind blowing. My entire back was tight, my neck was way out, I had SPD, my left SI joint was completely seized up... I was just a mess.

I've heard that accupressure (and puncture) also helps, but I think it helps more with labor itself than getting the baby ready FOR labor. Although I could be wrong.

Anyway... thank you again for all your support.
#23 of 26 Old 06-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Congratulations!!

I felt the same way (never wanting to do that again!) right after my VBAC. That's hard work!

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#24 of 26 Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 AM

Congrats

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#25 of 26 Old 06-04-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannybanany View Post
I felt the same way (never wanting to do that again!) right after my VBAC. That's hard work!
I wasn't ready for that.

Labor wasn't bad, but when she broke my waters... Oh man!! Then the pushing!!! Oh, the pushing... The crowning!... Then THE BABY!!
#26 of 26 Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 AM

Great Job! Congrats. I can only imagine how it felt to bond with your child after delivery!

Mother to Elie (2-5-09) - c-section - pitocin overdose...b-lynch stitch to save uterus
Angel Baby Alex (6-16-10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page