40, third time, want an HBAC - what do you think? UPDATE - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mommies,

Well I never thought I'd be here again, but after a bit, I am expecting dear child #3 in Jan 2011. I had a vaginal hospital birth with DD, then my son was a planned Home birth. My son flipped at 40 weeks and was full breech during labor and after my water broke, so there was no way my midwife would deliver him at home. I had a mentally traumatic, but physically pretty routine, c-section. The whole thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth. All that preparation, only to end up back at the damn hospital.

Well fast forward almost two years and now I am looking at options. I went to my first "nurse visit" today at the M.D.'s and I was so not excited about going back. The doc is ok, I guess, but the whole experience was depersonalizing. And honestly even the "best" hospital birth turns me off. I'm resentful about the hospital owning the process and taking control of my experience. I'm already irritated and I'm not even 8 weeks preg! Imagine how this is going to build as I go on through the pregnancy.

So I came to say Hi, chat and maybe learn something. I could go through the whole hospital business, and then just, stay home during labor and see how hard it is... I guess unattended birth after a c-sec is irresponsible. Uterine rupture and all that. But I'm already dreading it and I am thinking that way.

Sane alternatives, anyone? I wonder if I can still have the homebirth of my dreams.

-Xen

Mamma to Amelia (8/13/2006) Henry (7/28/2008), and Arthur (1/15/2011)
#2 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 10:06 PM

I just had an amazing HBAC 5 weeks ago. 1st was a planned c-section because he was breech. I did not want a 2nd c-section and the hospitals here are not very VBAC friendly. I did LOTS of research, here on MDC, and I also found ICAN, ican-online.org and everyone gave me lots of good info. I found an AMAZING homebirth midwife and things were fantastic. One of these days I'll get my birth story written, but its hard with a 3 year old and a 5 week old baby!
Good luck, you do have options!!!

~Becca
Wife to DH 8/2003; Momma to DS 5/2007ribboncesarean.gif ; DD 5/1/2010 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg !
#3 of 19 Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Becca

I would love to hear your birth story. Thanks for the resources and support. I think I know what the right thing to do is, but it's hard to find people who agree.

Hospitals, generally speaking are not VBAC friendly. Another reason to avoid...

-Xen

#4 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 02:58 AM

Personally, I don't think UC after a c/s is irresponsible. The risk is only about .5% which means there is a 99.5% chance your uterus will not rupture. However, UC is not for everyone due to other reasons...it has to be right for you IYKWIM.

I don't see why you shouldn't have a homebirth. Based upon your feelings towards hospitals (which I agree with ), it sounds like your best shot for a peaceful birth is at home. Utilizing the above mentioned resources, I would also look for a MW that is experienced in vaginal breech birth. An auto c/s for breech presentation is an outdated policy that is based on a bad study. More info here.

- Kim
#5 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there any reason not to find a new midwife and have a homebirth? I've had one c/s and 2 home births after that. I'm pg with our fourth, planning our 3rd home birth. Like you, I would not step foot in a hospital again if I didn't have to. Just going to a doc feels really strange to me (and not even an OB!). I know I just couldn't do it.

However, I am concerned about the MW not being willing to catch breech, or find someone else who could. I may be spoiled by having one of the most experienced MWs in the area as my MW, but I feel like MWs *should* be catching breeches, twins, etc. I'm so sorry yours wouldn't do it. Perhaps there are other midwives in your area who may be a good fit?

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#6 of 19 Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM

You can definitely have a HBAC! If you feel it's irresponsible to have an unattended homebirth after c/s, consider finding a midwife/doula in your area to help out!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#7 of 19 Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

I would look for another MW and go with a homebirth. Is that an option for you? I know some states have rules against mws attending vbacs, breech etc at home but you can sometimes still find mws that will do them. I had a hba2c in April and I'm so glad I choose a homebirth instead of going to the hospital.

SAHM to Kaylynn 12, Alec 10, Gideon 5 and Silas my hba2c baby born 4/12/10! h20homebirth.gif  vbac.gif cd.gif bftoddler.gif

#8 of 19 Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Look for a Certified Professional Midwife. They usually don't have the restrictions on them that the CNMs do. As a matter of fact, unless your midwife for the last birth had no breech experience at all, most CPMs will do breech- they have been trained in it...I would homebirth, no problems. I would however, try to find a CPM and get under her care asap, so you can continue to have her monitor the pg, instead of the OB's office, which may see you now as a "scarred uterus" with a head on it...Your chances of uterine rupture (or dehiesance, as it actually is) are really pretty small. Especially valuable to know you have a "proven pelvis"...one vaginal birth under your belt. Most midwives I know wouldn't hesitate to take you...it's a shame you had a section for breech... ...oh, and your age has no bearing, really. I have been to a couple births where the mom was 45-47 years old, and birthed at home successfully...
#9 of 19 Old 06-15-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
"scarred uterus" with a head on it.
LOL, too true!

I had a lovely HBAC in November with a CPM. It can be done! I am with you on the 'bad taste' from the hospital experience. The homebirth was easy and very mellow and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I had a bit of shadow care from a local Dr. but for the most part, care was with the m/w. It was nice to avoid all the pointless pee-on-a-stick appointments that lasted all of two minutes.
Good luck!

ETA: I'm 36, almost 37 (FWIW) and here's my HBAC birthstory: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1169909

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#10 of 19 Old 06-25-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Mamas,

I came back after a period of time and saw all these supportive messages. Since then I've had another discouraging visit with an OB. He is actually quite reasonable, encourages "trying" a VBAC, but I know how these things usually go. I'm already cringing. Did I mention that I hate the damn hospital?

I will be in the process of finding a midwife, I think. I'll post back to this thread and let you know how it goes. The section was such a disappointment, you know. That had been a picture-perfect pregnancy and DS's positioning was ideal right until 3 days before launch. If I had had a different midwife, I wouldn't be going through these spasms of anxiety right now. However, I did and still do like my midwife and think she provided excellent support and prenatal care. Even so, I will be looking around for other HBAC options.

I do so appreciate these thoughtful responses. You are all so encouraging. You put heart back in me. Thank you.

best
-Xen

#11 of 19 Old 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM

With our first, we were going through a birthing center, had 'failure to progress' and then transfered for a CS. Turns out he was acynclitic and the MWs were really crappy in figuring that out. I TOTALLY get how big of a bummer it is to have things planned one way and then be TOTALLY turned for a loop at the end and have that all stripped from you. It really sucks.

This time, we are HBACing, after interviewing 9 MWs (which I did in a matter of about 3 weeks) I chose a CPM who had an HBAC with her second after a CS with her first for the same reasons we did. It's all about trusting your body and baby and really listening to what is going on (even with uterine rupture).

I had to have a stern talk with my baby and body a few times and to tell them that they know how to do this and they are going to do everything right as far as positioning goes, etc. I also do Chiro care, which I hear helps TONS with breech babies.

It's really about putting your mind at ease and feeling secure that your birth is going to go the way it's supposed to, and that's not a huge medical procedure and not an accident waiting to happen either.

Much LOVE!
#12 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 12:22 PM

It sounds like your point of view is similar to mine regarding the hospital etc. If that is the case you most likely won't be able to relax in the hopsital and birth very effectively. I will be having my first HBAC in the next few weeks, I am 38 weeks along now. I think you should give a HBAC your best shot and know that you tried everything you could even if you end up in the hospital in the end. Good Luck!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#13 of 19 Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Xen, thank you for starting this thread -- now I don't have to!

I am 40 and expecting #4; this pregnancy is sandwiched between dc3 (who is 4) and a very emotionally draining m/c in 08. My dc3 was an unplanned, emergency C-section. I had an infection two days after birthing and ran a temp of 105; had a horrible time after birth, healing. UGH.

My first visit with my OB left me almost in tears, as he told me that he prefers to do scheduled c-section. NO way. To be fair I am expecting to get my tubes tied after this baby, so it would be easier for HIM.

I told him how opposed I am to the whole scheduled c thing, and he said, "well, I'm open to discussing a VBAC, but you tend to have big babies and if that scar ruptures, it's a mess for you and the baby." Wha? It's been a long time since I've researched birthing and safety but I'm pretty the rupture scenario is remote (I have a bikini scar).

Dh is hesitant to have hb, and I honor and respect that; however, I am wanting to do anything I can in order to avoid another c-section. Will be contacting the midwives group here (CNMs) and talk with them in a couple of weeks.

Joy, mama to Aquaboy (10), Goldilocks (8), Squidge (4)
#14 of 19 Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas,

An update- it took some time and some hunting around, but I found out that a fantastic midwife and her apprentice - who helped me the first time around are now doing primary HBACs. So I'm back on track.

What a relief. I was never happy during the whole pregnancy, dreading the hospital experience. It isn't impossible that I won't end up back there, but I'm a great candidate for VBAC and I think it's unlikely.

In any case, I'll post back in Jan. 2011 when baby arrives. It's interesting to note that they (this team of CNMs) are also now willing to take on the risk of delivering (frank, uncomplicated) breech births at home. I think my previous experience had something to do with the investigation of this possibility.

To all of you still trying to figure out this riddle, keep looking for a safe HB option. My midwife and her apprentice provide a standard of care that improves wellness for my whole family. And I'm so relieved to know I don't have to grab a suitcase and head out into a Wisconsin blizzard when I'm in labor, that I'm sure labor will go much smoother.

Wish me luck Mamas! And thanks for the kind words and support last summer! How is everyone else doing with their decision and options?

-Xen

#15 of 19 Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 AM

Awesome news!! I hope these last few months go well for you.

Mama of 2 sweet boys, Miles (Jan 3/07) and Avery (Nov 28/09) My fast and furious HBAC
#16 of 19 Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! I had to write quick b/c I'm (unfortunately still a bit) SO in the same boat as you - my first birth my DS was frank breech but noone knew until I was pushing him out - they had NO CLUE how to delier vaginal breech and we had an emergency c-section - after a long, all natural, painful-but-I-did-it labor I ended up with a "T" incision from that/he was stuck b/c my uterus was contracting so strongly. I'm also 40 and found out at 20 weeks the placenta's anterior - "possible" big problems/but maybe fine - won't know for sure until we check again. Anyway - I had the SAME oh-god-not-the-hospital feeling...in my heart being there and not w/the right provider the first time literally and emotionally scarred me for life. I've had a tough time most of this pregnancy - sometimes REALLY tough - and have felt bad feeling "down" so much of the time. Finally found a HB MW we loved and she was "spooked" by the anterior placenta being added and risked us out Talk about feeling let down - AGAIN. Anyway - I hope we are now at the end of the stressful part of our story - we have two meetings w/MW's next week who know about the "T" incision AND anterior placenta and are happy to meet with us. I just SO understood your feelings and SO HOPE we both get a wonderful EASY homebirth this time around!!!!! ♥
BEST WISHES TO YOU!
#17 of 19 Old 01-16-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamas...

Hooray!  We welcomed DS2 yesterday morning in our own home.  It was a terrific, wonderful, happy, healing HBAC and I am so glad we did it this way.

Our two oldest got to watch their brother be born, I labored in the tub (for 6 hours, only) and baby brother was caught by his Papa.  It was fantastic.

We are going back to bed now for a babymoon but I thought I'd tell you all a happy story.  Everyone is delighted with the outcome, especially me! Definately the most comfortable birth and best birth I've had, out of the three, and if I would have #4 I would do this again!  Keep trying for your VBAC Mamas, find a provider who will work with you and don't give up.

love

Xen

#18 of 19 Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 AM

Yay Xenopus!!!  What a fantastic story!!!!  joy.gif  Enjoy your babymoon flowersforyou.gif

#19 of 19 Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 AM

joy.gif

Congradulations!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page