2 hour mountain drive to vbac...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I posted 2 month ago but lost internet since then and have to write from my phone, sorry about errors

I am trying to have a vbac but would have to drive 2 hours through pass and mountain range which can be closed sometimes, I could try to go over there earlier but would have to stay in a Hotel, with my 4 year old daughter and not sure how early..?
What do you all think about that? Any experience or suggestions? My only other option would be a C section at my local hospital.
Just not sure what to do!

Thank you for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM

I don't live in the mountains or near any, so I'm not really sure how that plays out, but I would start by getting involved with ICAN. They can be a really helpful resource. Also, I'd check out DONA and find a doula and she will likely have leads to a midwife in your area who can help you.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#3 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM

For me it would depend on the weather. When are you due? I am assuming not in the middle of August.

How often do your local passes close? Living in MT, myself, I would feel comfortable doing it. But, of course, it is whatever you feel safe with.
#4 of 5 Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM

That is a hard call. What if your labor is short or the pass is closed?
If you cannot have a homebirth, I would probably go to a hotel in the town with your chosen hospital around 40 weeks. Do you normally go early or late or???
I once had the option of staying in the town where I needed to deliver. It was 100 miles from my home. We waited until I felt it was time to go. We left home at 40weeks. It was summer and so my family was able to come too. Baby arrived 4 days later but he also came after a 2 hour and 22 minute labor. (SURPRISE!) So in the end, I am happy that we went there to stay because I have a feeling that baby would have been born in the car along the highway.
#5 of 5 Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM

Personally, I would do it. I needed a VBAC. We traveled a mountain hour for ours, and everything was fine, though I know not all situations are the same.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page