2 hour mountain drive to vbac...? - Mothering Forums

Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2010, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
clarissa215's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I posted 2 month ago but lost internet since then and have to write from my phone, sorry about errors

I am trying to have a vbac but would have to drive 2 hours through pass and mountain range which can be closed sometimes, I could try to go over there earlier but would have to stay in a Hotel, with my 4 year old daughter and not sure how early..?
What do you all think about that? Any experience or suggestions? My only other option would be a C section at my local hospital.
Just not sure what to do!

Thank you for all your help
clarissa215 is offline  
Sponsored Links
#2 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
writteninkursive's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't live in the mountains or near any, so I'm not really sure how that plays out, but I would start by getting involved with ICAN. They can be a really helpful resource. Also, I'd check out DONA and find a doula and she will likely have leads to a midwife in your area who can help you.

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

writteninkursive is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me it would depend on the weather. When are you due? I am assuming not in the middle of August.

How often do your local passes close? Living in MT, myself, I would feel comfortable doing it. But, of course, it is whatever you feel safe with.
kdaisy is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 PM
roadfamily6now's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is a hard call. What if your labor is short or the pass is closed?
If you cannot have a homebirth, I would probably go to a hotel in the town with your chosen hospital around 40 weeks. Do you normally go early or late or???
I once had the option of staying in the town where I needed to deliver. It was 100 miles from my home. We waited until I felt it was time to go. We left home at 40weeks. It was summer and so my family was able to come too. Baby arrived 4 days later but he also came after a 2 hour and 22 minute labor. (SURPRISE!) So in the end, I am happy that we went there to stay because I have a feeling that baby would have been born in the car along the highway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roadfamily6now is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 06-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Calee's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I would do it. I needed a VBAC. We traveled a mountain hour for ours, and everything was fine, though I know not all situations are the same.
Calee is offline  

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 14,899

19 members and 14,880 guests
conner0 , debigebi , Deborah , emmy526 , jamesmorrow , japonica , Lucee , Lydia08 , manyhatsmom , Michele123 , profe , RLias Shop , RollerCoasterMama , Shmootzi , Skippy918 , sren , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.