Is it possible to just not go into labor/dilate on your own?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Hillis View Post

I do believe that a women's body was designed for laboring and what not. However I went in 1cm dilated waited and a week later nothing. I was effaced but she would not drop. I had a c-section. Her head was huge!!! She was in a perfect position just she was not going to drop at all. I never had contractions, Doctor would not induce. I was "39" weeks. The pressure in my pelvic area was unbearable for 3 weeks. Had my c-section and they were amazed that I didn't go into labor already. They were wrong on my due date by 4 weeks. Going through the same thing now with baby number 2.

So you're saying you were actually 43 weeks? How did you/they determine that? A lot of this post isn't making sense to me... Why wouldn't they induce? If you never had contractions, how do you know you wouldn't have been able to give birth vaginally? Many women are effaced and dilated before labor starts. I just don't get this whole post.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#32 of 46 Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 AM

Some women just take a long time to dilate. I was in labor for 69 hours before they pressured me into a c-section. Labor started Sunday at 11am. After only 6 hours of labor my contractions were already 2-5 mins apart so we went to the hospital and I was only 1 cm and "really thinned out". Babe was posterior so not putting the pressure needed on my cervix to get me farther. Did lots of spinning babies techniques on Monday to turn him. Had a doc appt at 1pm on Tuesday and found out he was then anterior and I was at 5 cms. Labored at home until 3am when we went back to the hospital and I was at 9 cms. But my care provider was not supportive, thought I should have given birth by then, and pressured me into a c-section birthing my babe at 7:48am. But you will likely be able to do it. Just have patience and stick with it. Like others have mentioned, spinning babies is great. Have faith in yourself, get educated (if you aren't already), and listen to your gut. Best of luck!
#33 of 46 Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM

I believe if you are going to have a VBAC you need to convince yourself that you can do it and hire a doula.  Do everything in your power to make it happen.

My first birth was generally the same as your - 2 weeks over due, water broke, 24 hours later nothing, induce with pill, 12 hours later contractions pick up a bit, start to not feel well, 3 hours later checked 3 cm, pit started, getting sicker, 4 hours later baby was still high and unengaged and I was still 3cm, 2 hours later c-section.

My second one I did everything I could think of for a VBAC.  I had a very supportive team.  But at 8 days overdue and with a baby high, everything high and closed I choose a c-section.

Labour was not my fear - not going into labour was.

#34 of 46 Old 05-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Hi, I just have to add to this letter. I too do not dilate at all, also genetic. I ended up having C sections for all my children.

It was, however, only when I had to have a Merina inserted some 6 years ago (for very heavy bleeding) that it was discovered that I cannot dilate at all. Even after injecting the os of the uterus to relax the muscles there, the gynaecologist still could not insert even the thin glass rod which is used to measure the length of the uterus! I ended up having a D&C to get the procedure done.

So to those of you who think that ALL women can dilate, get you facts right first. All you are doing by saying that, is to heap unnecessary guilt onto those whose bodies do not react in the 'normal' way.

cyclamen likes this.
#35 of 46 Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyedoc View Post

While I believe virtually every woman will eventually go into labor on her own and will almost always be able to push that baby out if given the time and freedom of movement, that isn't the same as saying everyone will be healthy that way. Those are two separate things IMO. Of course, a baby could be stillborn or have meconium aspiration before labor started on its own. None of us is guaranteed a healthy baby no matter what we do, and that's unfortunately a part of life. So while most moms and babies are healthiest when labors are left alone with minimal intervention, sure, there are times to intervene with inductions, augmentations or C-sections. I don't think anyone claims there are none.

Well said. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#36 of 46 Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 AM

Ok , first of all , let me say , that I think , there is probably some truth in every one of your posts , but apart from occasional deliveries going wrong , I also believe , women are meant to give birth and as nature is designed for survival of a species , NORMALLY a Mother will grow a baby that is big ( or small ) enough to fit through her pelvis .

However , nowadays , the problem with hospital births is , that

1 . there is a deadline by when one is expected to go into labor ! This only makes sense , if there is a REAL problem , simply being " overdue " is not a problem , it just means , that everybody needs individual time to grow and be ready to be born .

2 . after having a miscarriage , it is VERY common to have scar tissue on your cervix , that can seriously hamper with your body´s ability to dilate , even if it´s not a lot . I know that from my own personal experience !

3 . People are impatient ! This is not an accusation , it is a fact ! I could name at least a dozen of women on top of my head , that , from 37 weeks on , have tried almost EVERYTHING to jump start their labor , simply because they " couldn´t take it anymore " .

Of course , there are situations , when a Mother needs help and / or her baby is in real distress and they need help and for those cases , living in the 21 . century is a blessing , but most problems before and during labor and delivery are not there because of the pregnancy and problems with it , but because of too many and too early interventions .

I was in latent labor for several weeks with my youngest daughter , my VBA3C and that is just as normal , as it was for my youngest son to be born as quickly as he did , when I went from completely uneffaced and undilated to 10 cm and completely effaced in what seemed like 30 minutes .

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#37 of 46 Old 06-21-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttu View Post

Ok , first of all , let me say , that I think , there is probably some truth in every one of your posts , but apart from occasional deliveries going wrong , I also believe , women are meant to give birth and as nature is designed for survival of a species , NORMALLY a Mother will grow a baby that is big ( or small ) enough to fit through her pelvis .

However , nowadays , the problem with hospital births is , that

1 . there is a deadline by when one is expected to go into labor ! This only makes sense , if there is a REAL problem , simply being " overdue " is not a problem , it just means , that everybody needs individual time to grow and be ready to be born .

2 . after having a miscarriage , it is VERY common to have scar tissue on your cervix , that can seriously hamper with your body´s ability to dilate , even if it´s not a lot . I know that from my own personal experience !

3 . People are impatient ! This is not an accusation , it is a fact ! I could name at least a dozen of women on top of my head , that , from 37 weeks on , have tried almost EVERYTHING to jump start their labor , simply because they " couldn´t take it anymore " .

Of course , there are situations , when a Mother needs help and / or her baby is in real distress and they need help and for those cases , living in the 21 . century is a blessing , but most problems before and during labor and delivery are not there because of the pregnancy and problems with it , but because of too many and too early interventions .

I was in latent labor for several weeks with my youngest daughter , my VBA3C and that is just as normal , as it was for my youngest son to be born as quickly as he did , when I went from completely uneffaced and undilated to 10 cm and completely effaced in what seemed like 30 minutes .

i have never heard of this.  where are you getting this information?  thanks.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#38 of 46 Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 AM

What info are you referring to ? The stuff about scar tissue ?

Since you highlighted it on my post , I will answer to that ! I live in Sweden , where the anti cs and pro natural birth attitude is VERY strong , especially among doctors , which I believe sets swedish doctors apart from most others and when I became pregnant , and started going for my prenatal check-ups , especially towards the end , the doctor taking care of me , told me he is going to start checking for scar tissue , as soon as I start dilating , since I had children before and also miscarriages .

And after there have been several independent studies done , with several thousand women all over Scandinavia , they have come to the conclusion , that the vast majority of women , who have ever been pregnant or had an IUT , have a certain amount of scar tissue , sometimes not very much , but even if it is not a lot , many times it is enough to cause problems in labor .

In my case , he was absolutely right and after breaking it up several times during the last few weeks before birth and during my active labor as well , I had a vba3c , and also by far the easiest birth I ever had 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#39 of 46 Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM

hi.  BACK IN 1992 I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT, IN WHICH I BROKE MY PELVIC BONE AND MY TAIL BONE.  I HAVE SEVEN BABIES AND NOT ONCE HAVE I HAD SPONTANEOUS LABOR.  I went 14 days passed my EDD 4 times.  You can read more of my story (below) but to "cut to the chase" let me say that a "wonderful female" chiro who saw me throughout my 7th pregnancy advised me that the injury to my central nervous system "could have" been the reason why I never experienced "natural spontaneous" labor.  I'm not sure if I can remember exactly what she said, and explain it all here.  Something about the injuries not allowing communication b/t my brain and my uterus, "signals being shut off".    So, it's my opinion that it might be possible for a woman to be unable to experience natural labor/contractions, ect.   without other "interventions".  However, I truly think that acupressure and acupuncture WORK.  They both really "started" to work for me..... long story. 

Here's a bit of my history, if you care to read it.  I'm sure I've posted about it before over the years. 

"I have seven children; 13m.  3, 5, 7, 10, 13, 16.    I went 14 days over my "EDD" (estimated due date) FOUR TIMES.  With my second, fourth, sixth, and seventh.   My first baby, my water broke, but no contractions.  Not knowing one thing about the "process" i immediately went to the hosp, where they hooked me up to PIT.  I immediately had an EPI, took almost 24 hours to birth him, nearly had a CS.  2nd baby, we induced at 42 weeks with PIT, and he was 9.13.  3rd baby, I still didn't know much about what I was doing pregnancy/bith -wise.  I agreed to be induced on the EDD, "after all I hadn't gone into labor naturally before, and have BIG BABies.  Let's get it done."  duh.  "sure, why not".  she was 8.9 .   With my 4th, again 14 days passed EDD.  PIT induction.  She was "only" 8lbs.  THEN>  #5 was discovered to have an "abdominal mass".  Didn't know or want to know the baby's gender, but found out she was a girl and she had an 10cm ovarian cyst.  I ended up having a CS at 38 weeks.  She was 8.9.  I thought it was "medically necessary" at the time, due to my POLYHYDRAMNIOUS.  Doc said baby could drop the cord and then she would die within minutes.  Well, that pretty much "paved the way" for 2 more CS, though they were not medically necessary.  Due to the "fact" based on my "history" of not going into labor naturally, and my hosp having a VBAC BAN.  With #6 and #7, my plan was to go into labor on my own and refuse a repeat CS.  I had acupressure, acupuncture, chiro care, tried herbs, fresh pineapple, nip stim (I've nursed through out 5 pregnancies).  Anything I could think of, or was told to try, I did.  So, I also tried acupuncture at the recommendation of my chiro, and i got adjusted weekly.  The acunpuncture was amazing and really, really started bringing on contractions. 

#40 of 46 Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Often it seems that the explanation of "won't go into labor" is applied because care providers are determined to simplify all body processes into direct, physical, mechanical issues. Many other reasons exist for not going into labor. Some women carry babies longer than 42 weeks as a rule. Some women have fear or past traumas that affect them psychologically. I would count a trusted authority such as a doctor telling you that you can't labor normally as a psychological trauma that can delay/disrupt natural labor patterns. I definitely think that you need to be pregnant longer than 37 weeks to determine if your body will go into labor or not on its own. There can be undiagnosised injury or malformation that would physically impede labor, but that should be conclusively diagnosed with ultra sound or even exploratory surgery before you accept that those reasons apply to you. Also, some women cannot tolerate cervical checks and the invasion of that procedure can stall or reverse labor progress. Above all, OP, take your concerns to several different care providers and find one who will give you the freedom and confidence to really give your body a chance to give birth. Hire a doula to attend you if you are going to a hospital.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
#41 of 46 Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM

It is quite possible to be that far along. And depends on the care you are receiving and if the Dr is actually being helpful and persistent in helping things along.

I was 42 1/2 weeks... I complained for 3 weeks something did not feel right, I had a very weird fatigue and sick feeling in my body. The OB and hospital told me to walk and let the baby decend. Which she did she kept feeling her and she was down there. Yet I did not dialate and I never went into labor.

I woke up one day and she jujst stopped moving... I was terrified and the Dr was not listening so I drove 60 miles to a bigger hospital. They did an ultrasound to find she had stroked and was dying.

After a crash csection I was told the placenta had started clotting from age and failed and part of it was passed through the umbilical. She also suffered a heart attack from stress.

It was terrifying and they in all this time never decided to induce.

Clinically I was 2 and a half weeks past my due date by numbers... and when they determined by placental age and detereoration they estimated it at 3 weeks.

I never went into labor... I had those practice contraction and it just stopped. It was like my body did not want to do anything. And the baby in fact did decend and was against the cervix.

I am now pregnant again... and terrified... Because I want to try for a vaginal birth but I am not allowed to go within a week near my due date. If it hits a week before I go in for a c-section. I can no longer be induced due to my previous csection scarring.

So I just wanted to say it is possible for a doctor to just push you on and on and for you to be over looked and not go into labor past a due date. And I was going to appointments every weel

#42 of 46 Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 AM

Of course it is possible to never dilate/labor, and it does happen.

I had SROM at 42W, but was not dilating one bit, even w contractions that were strong and regular. Turns out, DS head was stuck back behind my pubic bone, and was not engaging because of this, so there wasn't sufficient pressure to cause dilation.

The cervix is like a turtleneck, and the pressure of the head pushing through opens it up. No pressure, it may not open. Not enough hormone, may not dilate. Scar tissue, may not dilate. Etc. While I did end up at 10cm, it took days, and lots of pitocin to get there. In the old days, DS would have died and needed removed, possibly killing me as well. If I survived, I may have had better luck with future kids, as I only need one to replace myself!

Womens bodies may have evolved to birth as a species, but that does not mean that every individual mom, or baby, is going to be able to make it through alive and unharmed. Nature has a *very high* amount of reproductive wastage, and it was common (still is, in many places) for many moms and babies to die from childbirth. People tend to forget that evolution produces whats "good enough", NOT what is ideal or perfect. We evolved to birth back before we walked upright!

I think most of the time, with a little knowledge and some preparation, birth will go as desired without extra, outside, efforts. This doesn't mean it's flawless.
charliemae and JoyFilled like this.
#43 of 46 Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post

Your body will not grow a baby that you cannot birth unless you have uncontrolled gestational diabetes, a pelvic deformity or a pelvic injury. 8lbs 10oz is not that big, healthy yet, but not big.

Just need to point out here that this is not true in every case.
My mother had 3 babies 8.5 lbs, 7lbs, then 9.5 lbs all completely naturally, no intervention or drugs at ALL. Labors and births went smoothly at home.
Her 4th child would not fit out and turned out to be almost 12 lbs.
She did not have any of the above.
My brother is 6ft, 7in today as are some of the men in our family.
You would think her body genetically would be able to handle it, but she could have died.
Not being negative here, I just wanted to post a reality.

My c/s was completely uneccessary and I was threatened and scared into it.
I am an advocate of vbacs. I just wanted to post here that very rarely there is actually a need for a c/s. I feel that the above statement is said a lot and is not factual and can cause upset for a woman whol actually needed one to save her life.

I completely agree with this post my first child was 10 lbs. and 12 oz. and ladies that was 1 DAY past my due date-my pelvis NEVER opened up to let my son descend. After my water broke and 24 hours of intense labor I was still only dilated to 3 cm. I praise god that I had a C-section with him because there was no way that baby was going to make it out of my uterus any other way healthy and alive still-and for the record NO I did not have gestational diabetes or any abnormalities with the pregnancy.

#44 of 46 Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Yes, it is possible to never go into labor and to experience fetal demise.

Yes, your body can in fact grow a baby too big to give birth to.

Those two mantras together have caused more heartache to trusting women who have lost their babies at 42+ weeks because they bought into what is almost a religion this point than all of the csections in the world.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#45 of 46 Old 02-21-2014, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post

Yes, it is possible to never go into labor and to experience fetal demise.

Yes, your body can in fact grow a baby too big to give birth to.

Those two mantras together have caused more heartache to trusting women who have lost their babies at 42+ weeks because they bought into what is almost a religion this point than all of the csections in the world.

I completely agree.  Nature F's up all.the.time. and that's a feature, not a bug.  Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

me, my man, and our boys (1/08 and 3/11)

#46 of 46 Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had my water break and didn't have a single contraction for 24 hours. At that point I let myself get talked into induction-if I had it to do over again, I would have waited longer (keeping an eye out for signs of infection of course.) There are lots of people who've waited 1, 2, 3 days or even a week after PROM and went into labor naturally. In answer to your question I think everyone can go into labor on their own, it just may take longer than the doctors are necessarily comfortable with.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page