My successful hospital VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to share with all of you that my daughter Rose Louise was born yesterday morning just after midnight. She was my much hoped for all natural VBAC!

I started to lose my mucus plug on Saturday morning. I continued to lose bits of it all weekend. Sunday night, I started having contractions. They seemed stronger than BH, but weren't regular. They worsened when I nursed DS. That night I couldn't sleep because I would wake up with back pain from a contraction and have to go use the toilet, were I had weird loose stools and would cramp and lose more red mucus.

I should add that I would have been in contact with my doula at this point to get her advice, but she was out of town and would be all week!

The contractions were still there in the morning, and all day Monday. I started to get irritated because since they weren't regular at all and hadn't increased in intensity for 20 some hours, I figured it had to be false labor. I went about my day, I harvested my garlic, took DS to the park, and later went grocery shopping with DH. And took a long walk with DS and spent time on my hands and knees cleaning the bathroom floor as I suspected that she was posterior.

That evening when I sat down, DS wanted to nurse and I jokingly told DH that I was afraid to nurse the little "oxytocin machine." Sure enough, he nursed for just a bit and my contractions kicked up a notch. They still were an average 8 minutes apart, the same as the day before, but they were a lot stronger now. I found myself having to walk around through them, bend over and unsuccessfully try to remember what pain techniques I had planned to use.

As this continued, we decided to call the midwife to see if she thought this was still false labor or not. As we waited for her to call back I had another hard contraction and decided to call my parents over to distract DS and maybe get ready to take care of him if we left.

Before they got to our house, the midwife called and as she spoke to me, she said I sounded like I was on top of the contractions and that since they still weren't regular I was probably just in early labor, or it could even be false labor that would begin to fade out. I hung up with her and couldn't even tell DH what she said because I just started sobbing. I was distraught at the thought that maybe this wasn't even labor!

Soon my parents came and my contractions got harder. I was on the floor in the bathroom on all fours with no pants on leaking onto a prefold diaper. I couldn't even care that I was probably freaking out my dad in the living room! I started throwing up in the toilet. My mom began arguing with my husband over whether or not we should go to the hospital. I finally called the midwife again, who said, if I thought I should, I should come meet her at the hospital.

At this point, I still was afraid it was false labor, or I was afraid that they would check me, I would be 2 cm, and they would send me home. But, I also felt like I needed to go up, I was completely incapacitated by the contractions now, and the throwing up made me wonder if I could possibly be close to transition.

The midwife immediately checked me when we arrived and I cried with joy to hear I was just about 9 cm. I still had a lot of hard work though. We weren't there long when my water broke with a contraction. I really had to work for a while more to finally get to 10. I started begging Brian to help me get pain medication, but he was solid and refused. The midwife said she would check me after the contraction passed. When she did, I was at 10 cm!

Pushing was not the relief I thought it would be, the contractions hurt and pushing hurt in a different way. I wanted to push standing or squatting, but my midwife had me try sitting up in the bed with my knees pressed to my chest, held by me, and the labor nurse and DH. That position was so painful I thought my back was going to break, and I immediately thought my midwife didn't know what she was talking about. I got into different positions, and tried pushing a few more times. She then told me, look, you can push in whatever position you want, but the one giving you the most progress is up on the bed reclined. I said it was too painful, and she said it was that pain I had to push through to get this over. She was tough with me, and I needed her to be that way, I think. I was extremely whiny and vocal. They kept telling me to shush and just breath as that made more progress too.

I realized that yeah, I was going to have to push this baby out and just deal with it, just get angry at the pain. I got onto the bed and though it was excruciating, I bore down with everything I had and she was out in about 4 pushes.

It was the most surreal, wonderful feeling to feel that head bulge between my legs and feel her slide out of my body. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

She was covered in blood and vernix and immediately placed on my chest. She never cried, just gave little squeeks, and seemed so happy to be there. Before she was even bathed, she nursed for an hour. She never had any trouble latching on.

I had a first degree tear that needed three stitches. The midwife stitched me up as we all chatted. DH cut the cord after it took a very long while to stop pulsating. Then when the placenta took awhile in coming out, the midwife gave it a shot of pitocin in the umbilical cord and out it came.

It was amazing, and she is such a peaceful contented baby

Thank you all for all of your support and good luck to you who are hoping for a VBAC. If I can do it, so can you!
#2 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Congratulations! It feels amazing I am sure!
#3 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Congrats to you - we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#4 of 11 Old 07-21-2010, 10:46 PM

Congratulations!!! So happy you got your VBAC and what sounds like a much better experience this time around!

.:*~*:.Sarah.:*~*:.
Married to my best friend SAHM to ds1(1/04) and ds2 (5/10)
#5 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 AM

congrats!!!! loved reading your story

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#6 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Congrats!

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

#7 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 AM

I am so happy for you!! YOU DID IT!!! Congratulations and welcome to your little one!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 AM

wonderful! thanks for posting your story and congrats again!

Franziska , DW to )oi , SAHM to Noah 06/2008, Sophia 08/2010, and Junis 11/2012

#9 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 AM

I loved your story and I'm so happy for you!!! Congratulations!
I had a great hospital VBAC too!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM

Awesome !!

Rebecca, Veggie mama of 3 little maniacs Hannah~22/12/2005 Callum~28/12/2006 Benjamin~28/12/2006 ~~~Our newest addition will be joining us mid-late April 2011!!!!
#11 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing! Great story--Congratulations! And Welcome to the World, Little One!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page