New ACOG Guidelines Support VBAC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/health/22birth.html

Of course, whether or not some hospitals will change their policy remains to be seen.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 08:05 PM

http://www.acog.org/from_home/public...07-21-10-1.cfm

Heres the statement
#3 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was just coming to post this, I think it's good news! When I was looking for an OB to do my vba2c with dd3 every single one that said no said "that goes against the ACOG guidelines." Even after having a successful vba2c, I got turned down by the local OB because "vbac after more than one c/s isn't recommended."
#4 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
About time! They don't allow VBACs here-they best change that now!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM

Yippeeee and yahhooooo! Excellent news!!! Now they just need to edit the statement a bit more... : )
#6 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 PM

I think it's a big step in the right direction!

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#7 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 AM

FINALLY. I don't think we'll see immediate changes, but it's a step in the right direction.
#8 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I was just coming to post this, I think it's good news! When I was looking for an OB to do my vba2c with dd3 every single one that said no said "that goes against the ACOG guidelines." Even after having a successful vba2c, I got turned down by the local OB because "vbac after more than one c/s isn't recommended."
I was too Lol. I'm still going HB mw route but will keep a highlighted copy of this with me in case of transfer to a hospital... And will advise anyone unwilling to allow me a TOLAC that they are in danger of being sued for failure to comply with ACOG guidelines!! Oh to be able to turn it around on them!! Also so happy to see them acknowledge a more realistic uterine rupture rate of .5%-.9% finally under 1%!! Happy day!! Hoping we all get our VBACs!!!!!!!

Wife to John, Mom to Melanie (1/08), Deklan (5/09) and stork-suprise.gif due April 11, 2011 h20homebirth.gif vbac.gif & just started cd.gif
#9 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 AM

This made my day!

I'm bringing a copy to my next OB visit-maybe I can be one of the first VBAC patients at my non-VBAC friendly local hospital!

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#10 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM

This is truly exciting!!! The on-call doc that performed my second CS practically screamed at us about ACOG guidelines and safety, and death and were we willing to take a significant chance of killing our baby. It was aweful! I wouldn't want to wish that kind of experience on my worst enemy. He was truly a horse's patooty, except that it would be doing a disservice to a perfectly nice horse!

I know it'll take time, but if not for me, for the other women in our area that may now have a chance at being shown respect at the birth of their babies!

Now: Mama of 2! Worker Bee happily married to my DH, motorcycle riding mama to H 8/99 and K 8/09.
#11 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM

I saw that this morning on the Today show and had to get online to read articles. I am very excited! As this is my third and last baby I am very hopeful for my VBAC. My first was vaginal and my second was cesarean.

Thankfully I have a pro VBAC OB and hospital but this just eases my fears even more so.

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#12 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Very exciting news!

Unfortunately, reading the comments at the bottom of the article remind me of where we stand as a birth culture...ugh..so much misinformation and so much complacency with status quo.

I don't know if it's the chicken before the egg, or vice versa-but the resulting thoughts on birth and birth safety anecdotally (with the comments I read) seem to be on the side of the status quo.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#13 of 13 Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 PM

so if my doctor is willing to let me try and my hospital is VBAC friendly and available to handle emergencies then this could seriously be a possibility? I talked to my doctor about the article today and I got the impression that she would be willing to let me try despite her reservations.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page