Would you do it?? Need opinions please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need opinions/thoughts.... Would you have your membranes stripped/sweeped at 38+5??

I saw the stupid "we won't induce you if you go 'overdue' because you are a VBAC" midwife today. I asked her if I go past 41 weeks would they consider doing a membrane sweep or foley bulb induction before they'd do a pitocin induction. She said - again - for a VBAC they won't do any type of induction. 40 weeks cutoff. She then said that on Thurs if my cervix is thin enough they'll go ahead and do a membrane sweep/strip then and try to get things going. I'm GBS-, so thats not a worry. I'll be 38+5.

I emailed my midwife and asked her opinion on the situation. Last week, Pam (my midwife) told me if Beverly (the midwife I saw today) started talking about not being able to induce and having to have a section to let it go in one ear and out the other because we'll find a way not to go to an immediate repeat section just because of "dates". But I asked her opinion on the strip as well. She's on call today so it will be awhile before she answers me I'm sure.

Oh - I also should mention. I *WON'T* allow an induction or repeat section just because I'm "overdue". I know how to say no. Pam, my midwife is completely ok with me going to 42 weeks if both me and baby are healthy. However, I have a history of preeclampsia and have been on full bedrest and BP meds since 28 weeks now because I'm having the same issues as last time. I was induced for SEVERE pre-e at 38 weeks with my daughter and it ended in a heartbreaking section. So - the only reason I'm considering the sweep before my EDD is because my body is trying it's best to get sick and I really, really, really don't wanna go down this road again

Just wondered everyone's thoughts. I don't know what I should do. Part of my wants to go ahead and let her do the sweep, but I'm not really sure of all the pros VS cons.

**** UPDATED 8/13 ****

Yesterday's appointment yielded much higher BP and protein unfortunately. I had intentions at that point of letting the midwife go ahead and strip my membranes. She checked my cervix and there was no progress from Monday's appointment. 1cm and 70% effaced still with a high, posterior cervix. I asked a few questions. She relented that she doubted it would help but would do it if I wanted her too. I declined. BP is running 160/100 tonight and I'm not feeling well at all. Hoping and praying baby Levi gets his cues that mom's body is just starting to shut down and he needs to come on out on his own. I am 38+5 now. I see a midwife again Monday - 39wk even - and if BP is still up will have another cervical check and consider the sweep again depending on what that renders. I greatly fear my body will not hold on much longer and I'll need to be medically induced. I fear that induction will also result in a repeat section just as it did with my daughter. Prayers/positive thoughts appreciated!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It probably won't do anything other than make you crampy
#3 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM

I had my membranes stripped 4 times with my first... didn't put me into labor...

Michelle, Happily married to first crush 4/2005, SAHM to DD 7/2006 , DS 8/2008 ,angel1.gif 4/2010, DD 3/2011, expecting DS 8/2013. 

#4 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM

I probably wouldn't, because I don't believe, for me that it makes any difference. The cons I see are: 1) any time you place something foreign inside of you, you risk introducing bacteria that you don't want there; 2) you don't really have a medical necessary reason to do anything yet.

You're almost there mama! Hang in there.

#5 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM

I understand your dilemma. I have been there. The only difference being that I had already had multiple VBAC's.
There is validity to wanting baby out before pre-e becomes serious. You walk a line between waiting for baby to come on his own or waiting for pre-e to become so bad immediate delivery is necessary, hoping you win the bet.
For ME, getting baby out before things got bad was the better plan. I wasn't comfortable hoping I would go into labor on my own before the Pre-e got bad.
Only you can judge at what point or under what circumstances you feel induction is appropriate.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#6 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM

I also had severe pre-e and that was the reason for my c-section (hoping for a vbac next time). I wouldn't think the membrane sweep would really hurt anything but I know for many women if your body isn't ready, it probably won't do anything. Good luck with everything!

I'm Theresa. nursing, baby-wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping mama to Clara (9/08) and wife to Mike
#7 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 08:57 PM

In your case, I wouldn't do anything unless you need to do something, like at 42 weeks, or if your pre-e gets severe.

We had a membrane sweep at 41+3 with our last, and I firmly believe that that sweep...while we did go into labor that night (with taking a tinctur of some sort and breastpumping) caused baby's head to turn acynclitic....now the MWs didn't recognize this, and thought it was just a failure to progress labor, and we ended up with a CS.

So....while I would choose to do another sweep if we were facing a pit induction or a repeat CS, I would NOT do it until I had no other choice.

You will most likely go into labor before 42 weeks on your own, and I would think if are having any stress over that at all, it's only going to postpone labor, and/or cause your BP to raise more, two thing no mom wants.

I know this sounds negative nancy like, but it's my honest thoughts coming from another VBAC mom who did feel pressure to 'get baby out' by a certain time, and wish I would have chose differently.
#8 of 18 Old 08-09-2010, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
IIRC, sweeps only work if you do them regularly and start fairly early (NHS midwives LOVE sweeps). With PE, I'd do the sweeps.

Stress really won't affect the outcome of preeclampsia. BP is a symptom of an underlying problem, not the cause. My BP never spiked and yet I was preeclamptic enough to put the baby into distress.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#9 of 18 Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
In your case, I wouldn't do anything unless you need to do something, like at 42 weeks, or if your pre-e gets severe.

We had a membrane sweep at 41+3 with our last, and I firmly believe that that sweep...while we did go into labor that night (with taking a tinctur of some sort and breastpumping) caused baby's head to turn acynclitic....now the MWs didn't recognize this, and thought it was just a failure to progress labor, and we ended up with a CS.

So....while I would choose to do another sweep if we were facing a pit induction or a repeat CS, I would NOT do it until I had no other choice.

You will most likely go into labor before 42 weeks on your own, and I would think if are having any stress over that at all, it's only going to postpone labor, and/or cause your BP to raise more, two thing no mom wants.

I know this sounds negative nancy like, but it's my honest thoughts coming from another VBAC mom who did feel pressure to 'get baby out' by a certain time, and wish I would have chose differently.
I agree.
#10 of 18 Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM

OP - you sound like you are talking about the midwife group I had with DS (names and all!) The funny thing is, until I hit 40 weeks, the midwife we liked the best (beverly) was very non-interventionist. after we hit that, it was like, we have to get this baby out! (I ended up with a pit induction at 41+5, delivered via c-section at 41+6) I wasn't dilated enough where I was comfortable with the idea of stripping, but I was tempted to try it!

Like anything, I think if you are near to being labor ready, it might help. if you aren't, it won't.

Good luck!

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#11 of 18 Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 AM

I personally wouldn't have them stripped.. I had mine stripped last time and my water broke prior to labor starting which I believe contributed to our positioning problems and led to my c-section.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#12 of 18 Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I really, really appreciate everyone's thoughts and opinions! I updated in the OP with yesterday's results.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#13 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post
I probably wouldn't, because I don't believe, for me that it makes any difference. The cons I see are: 1) any time you place something foreign inside of you, you risk introducing bacteria that you don't want there; 2) you don't really have a medical necessary reason to do anything yet.

You're almost there mama! Hang in there.
really she has preeclampsia ??

Claudia wife to Joe since (05/04) Mom to DD (09/05) and mom to DS (11/09) :
#14 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Amber, mommy to Ava born VIA c/s after a failed induction due to preeclampsia {12.20.08}
and Levi born VIA an induced, med-free VBAC due to preeclampsia {8.19.10}
According to the OP's siggy, we have reason to celebrate!

#15 of 18 Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yes!! I declined the sweep at 38+4, but at 39 my body was severely headed into pre-e territory and I had to schedule an induction - it was medically necessary! He was born at 39+4 after 9hrs of labor, 1hr of pushing!! Pitocin induction, MED-FREE!! VBAC!!

You can read the birth story here - http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1255057

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

#16 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 02:00 AM

Great story, congratulations!!!

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#17 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Happy for you!!! congrats!!!
#18 of 18 Old 08-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Awesome! I was induced w/ both my VBACs (first b/c I went past 42 weeks w/out going into full blown labor, 2nd b/c after being diagnosed w/ low fluid at 39+4, and having NST's every other day from then on, my water broke at 40+2 but active labor didn't start, so 12 hours later I agreed to augment w/ pit). And though I would have preferred not to do pit births, both VBACs went fine. I know it's not the perfect birth experience, but for me at least it beat the heck out of a surgical birth!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page