Scared of not going into labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel silly, but I'm scared I just won't go into labor. It doesn't make any logical sense, but when is fear logical right?

My first was a CS at 30.5w for pre-e/HELLP and my second was a RCS at 37.5w for pre-e recurrence. I'm now 38.5w and waiting.....my BP is high but stable, I'm not getting sick or having any pre-e symptoms....I'm just waiting.

I have another appt tomorrow...and I'm gonna ask my OB how he handles >40w for VBA2C....

How many weeks were you for your VBACs? Anyone go past their CSs? How did you cope w the anxiety of waiting for labor?
#2 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM

I don't think you're silly - I know that fear! With my first I was induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e. My 2nd was born over 4 yrs later and I was planning on a VBAC, but had no idea what to expect in terms of when I would go into labor. I was surprised when my due date came, and went, and another 2 weeks went by!! I actually never went into labor on my own! Not that I wouldn't have, but my doc wanted to induce at 15 days past my due date. (He stripped my membranes and I was having bloody show and some early labor symptoms the weekend before the induction, so I needed only a small wiff of pit to get things going. They eventually turned it off.) With my 3rd child (2nd VBAC) he'd been monitoring me for possible low fluid for a while, and at my appt at 39wk4days I had an u/s that showed my fluid level had dropped from about 8 to just under 4. He agreed to 'watchful waiting' though said other docs would insist on induction or repeat c/s right away. (My cervix was somewhat effaced but only fingertip dilated so he was not confident induction would work at that point anyway.) My water actually broke at 40wk2days but labor didn't kick in, and 12 hours later I was talked into another pit induction. Anyway both my VBACs went fine, very little pit was used, I avoided the use of any pain meds, etc. But I was still monitored the whole time and hooked to iv's, and that part sucked. If I have another perhaps I will finally experience going into labor on my own!
#3 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 PM

I went into labor naturally with my c-section baby at 38 1/2 weeks. (breech)
I then went in to labor naturally with my first VBAC baby at 41 weeks!
It's okay to be nervous. But all woman do go into labor. You'll be fine.
#4 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 04:50 PM

I absolutely understand your fear It may be true that all woman go into labor at some point, however it does not always happen when it may be needed in case of complications with the placenta or pre-eclapsia etc., I think this is what your fear is right? My bloodpressure goes up towards the end of pregnancies with my last pregnancy I pushed staying pregnant till 41 weeks (which was as long as they let me before withdrawing care) So yeah I did not go into labor but healthwise I should have gone a while ago

That being said, looking back I think the imense pressure we have to go into labor till a certain point has the oposide effect on us and in addition causes our bloodpressure to go up even more So I think rest may be better in our case than walking up and down the stairs hoping that it would bring on labor....

I wish you best of luck I so know how you feel, I wish you the birth you want

Claudia wife to Joe since (05/04) Mom to DD (09/05) and mom to DS (11/09) :
#5 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 05:22 PM

I think it's SO wonderful that you are taking such good care of your body to carry your baby to term (anywhere between 37-43 weeks). I can't imagine how reassuring it is for you to have had two early babies and deal with those risks and if there were any complications due to that, and now be in a totally different place of a term baby and a healthy body. CONGRATS! GREAT JOB! SO few women would choose a VBA2C here, and I'm so glad you know what's healthiest for you and your babies!

Personally, I'm a VBAC (only 1) but I"m completely fine with going till 43 weeks. I feel the risks with going to 43 weeks are SUBSTANTIALLY lower than an induction or a repeat an earlier. I'm glad my CP believes in me and my body, and I BELIEVE IN YOURS TOO!!!

MUCH LOVE!
#6 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM

I did not go into labor with my cesarean. 40 weeks plus 10 days, my water broke, the docs had "failure to wait" and I fell into the typical slippery slope of interventions.

My hbac girl came at 42 weeks exactly.

What helped me was reading the Bradley book that describes all the different ways labor can start and progress. "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way."

It is nice to know what to expect, especially when it can happen so many different ways.

You are doing a great job mama!!
#7 of 17 Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM

I had the same exact fear, however I ended up needing another induction.

Induced at 38 weeks because of preeclampsia with my daughter. After 20 hours of labor, I was labeled "Failure To Progress" and "CPD" and "Baby Too Big'. My 6lbs 13oz baby girl was born VIA cesarean.

This time, I ended up developing preeclampsia again. Induced at 39+4, 9 hours of labor, 1 hour of pushing and I had a med-free VBAC!!! 7lbs 3oz baby boy!!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

#8 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 01:05 AM

I think your fear is certainly understandable! Especially as a VBAC mama, it seems like we feel the pressure even more. But, believe in yourself....your body knows there's a baby in there and your body knows what to do!

You can do it mama! Believe in yourself and your body!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#9 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! I just never thought about going past 38 w bc of it being #3, but from here and my local ICAN group, it sounds like most have gone past 40 or even 42 w with their VBACs.

Now to change my mental gears and plan/prepare for going to 40+w....and for care for my older 2 after my mom leaves at 41+4 (she's been here since 36 bc we all assumed I'd end up delivering early again).
#10 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I always found it easier to have a perk of hitting the 40, 41, 42 week mark. Like we are going to get a mani/pedi if we hit 40, a massage at 41, acupuncture with massage (mainly for relaxation) at 42, etc. This way when I hit the 40 week mark it's not "OH MY GOD I STILL HAVEN'T HAD THIS BABY!", and it's oooo....pedicure day! LOL!
#11 of 17 Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm trying to focus on my new ride that I'm getting on Saturday.

My BP was (amazingly and thankfully) normal today! And we aren't scheduling induction until after my 41 w appt.....still no changes but I guess I am a first timer in that sense (never dilated/effaced w the other two).
#12 of 17 Old 08-27-2010, 02:34 PM

AustinMom that's a great idea! I always tell moms who are freaking out about being at or after their due date to make plans to do something that they won't be able to do for a while once baby comes, like a mani/pedi or a date night with hubby. Or something special with the their older kid(s).
#13 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

My water broke Saturday morning..but wimpy contractions all day Saturday. Sunday was admitted for a pit augmentation. Unfortunately, 12 h later there was no progress and I was emotionally and physically drained. Phedre was born via repeat section Sunday PM. Baby girl is beautiful! 7#4oz 20.5 in long
#14 of 17 Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your baby! I hope you heal quickly.
#15 of 17 Old 08-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations! Enjoy the babymoon.
#16 of 17 Old 09-07-2010, 07:53 PM

congrats mama!
#17 of 17 Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 AM

Congrats Mama you did well, enjoy your Babymoon you totally deserve that

Quick recovery

Claudia wife to Joe since (05/04) Mom to DD (09/05) and mom to DS (11/09) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page