I don't think you're silly - I know that fear! With my first I was induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e. My 2nd was born over 4 yrs later and I was planning on a VBAC, but had no idea what to expect in terms of when I would go into labor. I was surprised when my due date came, and went, and another 2 weeks went by!! I actually never went into labor on my own! Not that I wouldn't have, but my doc wanted to induce at 15 days past my due date. (He stripped my membranes and I was having bloody show and some early labor symptoms the weekend before the induction, so I needed only a small wiff of pit to get things going. They eventually turned it off.) With my 3rd child (2nd VBAC) he'd been monitoring me for possible low fluid for a while, and at my appt at 39wk4days I had an u/s that showed my fluid level had dropped from about 8 to just under 4. He agreed to 'watchful waiting' though said other docs would insist on induction or repeat c/s right away. (My cervix was somewhat effaced but only fingertip dilated so he was not confident induction would work at that point anyway.) My water actually broke at 40wk2days but labor didn't kick in, and 12 hours later I was talked into another pit induction. Anyway both my VBACs went fine, very little pit was used, I avoided the use of any pain meds, etc. But I was still monitored the whole time and hooked to iv's, and that part sucked. If I have another perhaps I will finally experience going into labor on my own!