Childbirth class? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I am trying to decide if we need to take a childbirth class. We are expecting #3 in 7 weeks and there is a local childbirth class for parents who have been through labor before.

My quick history: I had a CS for CPD/FTP with my first child after approx. 24 hours of labor. My second baby was an attempted vbac, about 18 hours of labor resulting in a RCS.

This time, we have a doula and are much better informed and prepared. Still, I wonder if we could be even better prepared by taking a class. How many of you vbac mamas will or have taken a class?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM

We took Bradley with our 1st, (ended with CS for FTP) and this time we are doing hypnobabies home study course. I think it's great, especially for a VBAC, and since you have two kids at home already, you can do it on your own time.

I'd take some kind of class, as the more info you get the better, ask your Doula if she can come with you. If not, take notes and go over them with her. I'd say the more you do to prepare, the less you can look back and say, "I should have...."
#3 of 3 Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 PM

A childbirth class designed for parents who've been through labor before is not likely going to give you anything that you can actually use to improve your chances.

Like AustinMom, I did Hypnobabies for my VBAC and it worked really well for me, so well that I plan to become an instructor. It contains all the info you'd get in a general childbirth class, plus the Hypnobabies skills to help keep you focused and relaxed. You can do a homestudy class about $150 or take a live class if there is one near you.

http://www.hypnobabies.com

I also like Birthing Better with the Pink Kit Method. I've used it with doula clients and am going to give it to my childbirth ed clients as well starting this fall. It is a homestudy and very affordable. The digital version is $63. http://www.thepinkkit.com
There is a lot of information in the Pink Kit that will help you prevent another CPD/FTP situation because it will help you get in tune with your anatomy so that you can help your baby work through your body.

I definitely think that preparation is in order, but you will probably get a lot more out of one of those programs than that class.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page