Seriously??!!?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had a C-section 2 babies ago...my last one I VBAC'd successfully....now I am pregnant again. I have since moved to Northern CA and am being told that since I have had a C-section in the past I am not allowed to have a vaginal birth....even though I have had a successful VBAC!!!! WHAT?????

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

#2 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM

That's effing rotten. Is it your doc's policy, the hospital's policy, or your insurance that is behind the decision? If it is the doc or hospital, maybe you can find one more flexible wrt VBACs to take your business to? If it is your insurance, I would call them and find out more information - vag births are certainly cheaper for them.

I'm assuming there are no medical conditions that they are worried about?
#3 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM

How stupid. I hope you are able to identify some other care and birth options for this pregnancy. Contacting your local ICAN group is probably a good start.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#4 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

It is a Dr and hospital issue...and sort of an insurance issue too. I am a RN and my insurance covers my hospital unless you pay a HUGE deductible. My hospital does not allow VBACs so in turn the Dr refuses to do them. As far as a condition that might prevent it...I have a previa, but it has already moved some so it is not anticipated to be an issue.

#5 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#6 of 19 Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 PM

Oh mama....that sucks!!!!!!!!!! What a rotten, rotten, rotten position! I mean, the first for the first one is one thing, but now you've proven your plevis and blah blah blah, you'd think it'd be easier this time! (((((((Hugs))))))))))

I'm honestly not very up and up with what to do, but what other doctor and hospital choices do you have around there? What about midwives? Are you willing and wanting to approach the hospital on this? Depending on what your hospital is like, unless you ask, they aren't going to change. That's what's been happening a LOT at our hospital lately...before, women didn't ask for things that were stupid rules and hard for mamas (like c/s recovery mama and baby were seperated for NO reason), that rule just changed as of last week in our hospital, because woman after woman asked why, why, why? Or, they have tubs to labor in, but since VBAC's have to have continual monitoring they would need a water proof telemetry type monitor.....so woman after woman asked...and they got one! I say, go to who you need to and ask, question, ask, and question!!!!!

The only other thing that I could think of, which is a little riskier, but would be to arrive at the hospital pushing. I know that's pretty drastic measures, but man, your situation is just not fair!!!! And if you go over date it would be calling in and canceling c/s after c/s for "personal reasons" and "family reasons" and so on!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#7 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 02:27 AM

Sounds like you would be safer at home. I'm sorry they are trying to take away your ability to use your own vagina for a natural body process

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#8 of 19 Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 PM

That stinks! Are there other options in terms of drs or hospitals for you?
#9 of 19 Old 09-24-2010, 11:15 AM

First, so SORRY you even have a fight - I'd maybe actually print and bring in the recent ACOG release - it just sounds so STUPID frankly. I'm ticked when first time VBAC's get resistance - it just seems especially IGNORANT and NOT evidence-based...but even in "their world" I would think having one under your belt would sway them. I KNOW I'm biased as I'll be having a HBAC in February after a "T" incision w/my first b/c my son was undiscovered breech until I was pushing and they SAW his butt Of course noone knew how to correctly deliver breech - so from all natural to emergency section w/general So I'll be DAMNED if they get to screw up this birth b/c they left me in a compromised state after the first Sorry - off topic - but after all the research/reading I've done to come to my own decisions, I get SO MAD when women are denied even the CHANCE to labor/VBAC. I hope you get your happy ending and don't have to fight much for it - even the FIGHT makes me mad! ;{ GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!!
#10 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
Sounds like you would be safer at home. I'm sorry they are trying to take away your ability to use your own vagina for a natural body process
That would be phenominal if I could afford a midwife...here in CA they are like $4000 and as our family's only income that is impossible

#11 of 19 Old 09-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9178 View Post
That would be phenominal if I could afford a midwife...here in CA they are like $4000 and as our family's only income that is impossible
Most midwives I know of will work with families on payment. They work out payment plans and may offer a sliding scale for families in need. Can't hurt to ask around!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#12 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia9178 View Post
So I had a C-section 2 babies ago...my last one I VBAC'd successfully....now I am pregnant again. I have since moved to Northern CA and am being told that since I have had a C-section in the past I am not allowed to have a vaginal birth....even though I have had a successful VBAC!!!! WHAT?????
Where in nor cal are you? I'm in Oakland, and had a VBAC in SF. And my C section was in 1989, back when single sutures were the norm, thankfully mine wasn't, so I got the chance to VBAC with a midwife.

You CAN have a VBAC. There is a fab birth center in SF that will work with you and takes insurance. SF General is a baby friendly hospital with a low C Section rate, too.

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#13 of 19 Old 09-26-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillitu View Post
Where in nor cal are you? I'm in Oakland, and had a VBAC in SF. And my C section was in 1989, back when single sutures were the norm, thankfully mine wasn't, so I got the chance to VBAC with a midwife.

You CAN have a VBAC. There is a fab birth center in SF that will work with you and takes insurance. SF General is a baby friendly hospital with a low C Section rate, too.
I am in the Modesto/Turlock area. I am considering transferring into Alta Bates in lobor and hoping for the best It is a drive to get there and this being my 7th birth I am crossing my fingers, but I would rather try then to just be sectioned again.

#14 of 19 Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM

I have run into that a lot lately. Good luck with finding a way to get your VBAC.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#15 of 19 Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Hi, I am planning to VBAC in September. I am in the Stockton area, I think this area of California is particularly bad with birth options. I am planning a homebirth with midwives from the Sacramento area, and they did lower their fee for us, and we are managing to afford it, even though my husband is a grad student and we live off student loans. A homebirth is worth it to me even if I had to borrow the money. I think there are ways to try and make the finances work, if it is something that is really important to you. And I think a lot of midwives want to be accessible and affordable to their clients, and not have finances be the deciding factor, and will work with you. I have heard that Alta Bates is a VBAC supportive hospital though. That might be your best bet. The local ICAN group is in Sacramento, and they may have more resources.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#16 of 19 Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coraljean View Post
You should let them know that they are not in line with ACOGs new VBAC guidelines! It is really ridiculous that they would tell you that you can't, when you have already VBACed! http://www.acog.org/from_home/public...07-21-10-1.cfm
agreed!!! Boo Hiss on this hospital.
#17 of 19 Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 PM

They are supportive of VBACs at Sutter Maternity in Santa Cruz. ( I know, 3 hours from you is not very convenient, but...)

PM me if you would like the name of a very VBAC-friendly OB in that same area.
#18 of 19 Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

So what happens if you just deny the c/s when you get there in labor? Would it pose any problems because you work there or would it be different because you're a patient? Also, have you tried talking to your insurance company about the situation and seeing if they will make an exception for your situation? It's not like this is your first vbac.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#19 of 19 Old 10-08-2010, 01:24 AM

call your local newspaper and tell them that hospital X said you had to have a c-section even though that is in directly violation of both ACOG and NIH's very recent guidelines which clearly state you are a candidate for a VBAC, and YOU have the right to make that decision, and it is a gross violation of your rights to be forced into unnecessary surgery. Newspapers love hospital scandals.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page