Desperate to find a midwife/birth assistant for VBAC in Florida or nearby state that is affordable - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live near Pensacola and I had a c-section 5 years ago with twins due to being breech and want to have a VBAC. I am on Tricare and the military hospital is not a place I want to be and Tricare will not cover a homebirth. I am told that if I choose the hospital they will 'try' to let me have a VBAC but I still do not feel comfortable with that. It is not even about having a VBAC it is about being in control of my labor, my baby and everything going on during that time.I have contacted midwives who will give me a homebirth; however I cannot afford the $5000 + price tag. I have heard about a farm in Tenn, but I heard they do not due VABC's anymore. I want to try a unassisted birth, but since I never labored before I have no idea what to expect. I would be willing to have an birth assistant there because then I would have someone who was familiar with birthing etc. I am just in a bad place because I do not want to be butchered again in a hospital and have doctors scream at me like before and I cannot afford a homebirth. Can anyone please help me? Does anyone know of a traveling midwife or retired midwife that is affordable? Or even women that did an unassisted VBAC who can help me or give me advice?

Please, any infomation would be great. Please PM me for anything.
#2 of 4 Old 09-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Tri-Care will cover a homebirth as long as it is with a CNM. They covered my homebirth, that ended up in a transfer. Then then covered my c-section.... They also covered my VBAC at a civilian hospital... DO your research and talk to others who have BTDT, Tri-Care will not tell you what they cover, you need to do your research, and then tell them what you need.

Janet ~ Wife to Bryon (Ret. USN), Mama to Korbyn(12)homebirth.jpg, Koltyn (7)homebirth.jpgribboncesarean.gif, and Kashlynn (6/23/09)vbac.gif Our long awaited little girl!! ... a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (proverbs 31:30)

#3 of 4 Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Welcome to MDC!

1. Come over to the military mamas thread here in Finding Your Tribe: Military Moms: Sept/Oct 2010 Lots of tricare experience to share!

2. Ask about CNMs in your tribal area here: Florida, Georgia, Alabama

Not that there's anything wrong with your post, you'll just get more of the responses you're looking for in these areas.

Are you Tricare Standard or Prime? Are you a dependent or the AD member?

I had wonderful midwife care (planned natural hospital birth with midwife) in Florida, but not in your area, and I'm confident you can find good care there. I'll look for your post in the military thread. Welcome and congrats on your decision to VBAC!

#4 of 4 Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for responding.

Right now I am Tricare Prime and I have called Tricare numerous times and they keep telling me they do not cover a homebirth, so I am going to go there personally and see what happens.I am also going to ask again about who is covered under Tricare Standard.

I also have called a CNM covered under Tricare Prime in my area and she refused to deliver me. She said that it depends on whether the doctor she works with lets her and even then she said no. She did say that she would be there for my c-section though and that's when I said 'no thank you'. Birthing Centers are illegal in Florida for a VBAC so that's out of the question. I did find a midwife, like I mentioned, it's just not affordable. I am going to call around some more and try different surrounding states and their VBAC laws on birthing centers etc.

Thank you again for answering my post.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page