Best option for inducing a VBAC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-12-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I am 40+6 with my second. My first was a CS for "CPD" after pushing for 2 hours. My current Dr. is supportive of a VBAC and hasn't even mention induction...until today. I put her off until my next appointment on Thursday @ 41+1. I would like to have some sort of idea for a plan of induction, just in case. What are my best options (besides going naturally, which I'm working on!)? Hopefully this is all moot, but I'd like to know. My first came at 40+4 on his own by SROM. I know I still have time and baby looks good on BPP, I'd like to be prepared with my own plan when (if!) I go back Thursday. Please don't just say wait it out as I plan on waiting as long as possible.
Oh, and I am about 2.5 cm 60-70% and not having contractions. A few random BXH. I know doesn't mean anything, just throwing out all the info. Thanks ladies!

Mom to Jackson 06/07 and Claire 10/10
#2 of 13 Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 PM

No advice...just a supportive link:
http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=107
#3 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like you're headed toward labor just fine on your own. I wouldn't accept induction until after 42 wks, and if she's starts pushing for it then I'd start asking for concrete evidence why it's needed (if everything looks good- baby, placenta, fluid, etc).

At that point, I'd prefer a foley catheter induction, but you may be too far dilated for that anyway, so the evil pit (at a low dose) may be your only medical option.

GL!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#4 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support ladies.

#5 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM

foley catheter, followed by AROM and then low dose pit all contributed to my VBAC

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#6 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM

My midwives just told me about the Cook Cervical Ripening balloon. The difference between that and a foley is that the Cook balloon has 2 balloons instead of 1 which is supposed to help dilate the cervix better.

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#7 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 09:04 PM

Try some accupressure points... I had them done 3 times the week of my EDD... Once on my EDD, once 2 days later and the morning I went into labor. I had contractions after each time and was 4CM and 90% the day before I went into labor. The contractions started shortly after I left the chiro.

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#8 of 13 Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 PM

Acupuncture worked for me for my second VBAC. The contractions started soon after the needles went in and continued until the doc came back and asked if I was feeling anything. They stopped when she took them out but started again with intensity a few hours later. My water broke the next morning (the first time out of three that it broke before transition) and babe was born a few hours later. I was 41+ also.

wave.gif
#9 of 13 Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I have until 5:30am Tuesday morning before I go in to be induced. I had my membranes swept today. Hopefully that will do the trick.

#10 of 13 Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM

If you are already having BH but irregularly, nipple stimulation can push it into regular labor. I was 41w 1day, i first went to a comedy festival with the plan to "laugh the baby out" i did laugh my ass off so maybe it helped to make me relax then went home, started to watch the 11pm news and i got out my belly butter and massaged my nipples the whole time i watched, by 11 30pm the contractions were 3 minutes apart lasting 40sec. they continued like that all night. my baby boy was born at home the next day. Give it a try! good luck!!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#11 of 13 Old 10-20-2010, 10:36 AM

hope all is well with you

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#12 of 13 Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Claire Genevieve arrived at 4 pm on Tuesday October 19th. She was 8lbs 11oz!
I went in that morning to be induced. Started pitocin around 8:00am (super low dose, 1mu that they increased every 45 min). Started noticing contractions but wern't painful, walked the halls and bounced on the birth ball. Not sure of the exact timing, but I was checked and was about a 4 or so and they broke my water which had meconium in it. Things really picked up then! Really intense contractions that my HB was not working for. My doula was great and really encouraging. My DH was getting freaked out (he's a wimp, lol!) because I was vocalizing through them and he could tell I was in pain. I decided I couldn't do it anymore and asked for the epidural. The nurse called in the anesthesiologist and when he came I said I had to go to the bathroom, NOW! The nurse wouldn't let me until she checked me and then my body took over and started pushing. This was about 11 or 11:30 am. The anesthesiologist was like guess you don't need me! but I was like oh yes I do! They tried to get me in bed and in the traditonal pushing posisiton, but I kept saying I can't and that it wasn't right. I was standing on the bed with a gazillion nurses around (OMG sooo embarrassing looking back!) squatting. My Dr came in and after quite awhile and several pushes and the baby not descending decided that if I wanted the epi still, that it might help me relax and that pushing was going to take awhile. So I did. I worked great, I could move my legs and still feel the pushing urge but I wasn't so panicked. My doula was great and so was my nurse. We tried every pushing position known to man but it just wasn't working. I had my epi turned off and still she wouldn't come out. 3 hours of pushing later we made the decision to go ahead with a c section. I was very disappointed but felt there was nothing else we could do. I gave it my best shot and got a natural 'almost' labor. Claire Genevieve was born at 4pm exactly weighting 8lb 11oz. Because of the meconium, her apgars were 3 and then 9. Surgery took awhile because there was concern over my bladder and my old scar might of being fused, but it turned out to be okay. I wasn't able to breastfeed in surgery but she was latched on as soon as they rolled me out. She's a champ nurser and is soo cute with chubby little cheeks. And that girl can poop! She pooped while they were doing her assessment and about a million times since! Recovery is going okay. I am pretty sore and my legs look like elephant legs but I am managing. We were able to go home yesterday so I only spent 2 nights in the hospital. Big brother is as proud as can be! We are loving our new addition. While I am disappointed that I didn't get my VBAC, I feel like I tried my best and thats all I wanted.

#13 of 13 Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 AM

Congratulations on your sweet new addition. I'm glad that you were given the chance to try, sometimes that can be extremely meaningful! I hope you're recovering well and enjoying your babymoon!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page