Crazy Happy VBAC story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hope this will be encouraging!

For weeks I'd been having "prodromal" pattern labor.  At 38.7 weeks I was 50% effaced, 0 cm.  At 39.7 weeks I was 75% effaced, 4cm dilated.  How we got to 4 like that?  No idea. 

I agreed to a membrane sweep but after a lot of cramping and contractions there was no "Active Labor".  At 40.3 weeks I was back down to 2cm, but very stretchy, and agreed to another sweep.  The midwife felt very strongly we needed to get baby out sooner rather than later, and I agreed. 

So yesterday we walked about 4 miles, took a prenatal yoga class, DTD, and started on EPO, vaginally and orally.  I was EXHAUSTED by bedtime!

At various points in the night I was wakened by the strongest ctx to date, and had to get up to urinate to deal with the sensation.  Finally at 3:00 am I could not stay in bed.  Around 3:45 a strong pattern emerged.  At the same time the ctx were so intense that I was vocalizing, but they were anywhere from 4-6 minutes apart.

MW wanted us in there as soon as we had this kind of labor.  We arrived at the birth center at 5:30.  I had one ctx on the toilet, and had bloody show.  I told the MW that I felt lots of pressure on the perineum.  She got me on the bed to check, and said, "Um, I'm not feeling any cervix!" 

Between 5:30 & 6 the waters broke all over the floor!  Another MW came in and wanted me on the bed in this crazy position.  I was side-lying with one leg in the air.  Baby's heart tones were dipping a lot during the pushes so they put me on O2 for the rest of the time.  I ended up doing a butterfly pose on my back in the final pushing.  I had to blow through every other contraction which was hell! 

Baby was born at 6:53am - praise God!  The pain was excruciating at times but because of the incredible level of care I received we made it!  I still cannot get over how different the experience was from my firstborn - and still is.  Without all those drugs in his system baby was able to nurse immediately like a champ.

Baby measured just shy of 9 lbs - a half pound heavier than the first.  (My first was an emergency c-section after 24 hours of back labor and 2 hours of pushing with no progress/CPD.)

Thanks, God!

#2 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Congrats!

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#3 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM

That was quick, and I'm so happy you got your VBAC!!! Rejoicing with you. banana.gif

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#4 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 AM

CONGRATS!  I love reading birth stories like this - they give me so much hope I'll get the VBAC I want when I have my baby.  Enjoy your new baby! 

#5 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Congratulations!

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#6 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Wonderful story!  Thank you so much for sharing!  And many many congrats mama!  YIPPEEEE!!!!

Me (30), DH (31), DS (3.5 yrs - 5/07), DD (1.5 yr - 2/09) via VBAC!!! DS (newborn - 11/10) via natural VBAC! 2 angel babies - 06/06 & 04/08
#7 of 11 Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Hooray!  Congrats, Mama.  Welcome Baby!!

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#8 of 11 Old 11-25-2010, 05:15 AM

Congrats! Happy birthday baby :-)

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#9 of 11 Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Congratulations!

#10 of 11 Old 11-28-2010, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Strong work, Mama!  :)  And Welcome to the World, Little One!  That was a quick journey!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#11 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM

Congrats mizznicole!  Your birth gives me so much hope.  What a great job you did!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page