Blue cohosh for VBAC induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My friend is a VBAC and is nearing her OB's "must birth by" timeline and someone suggested she take blue cohosh to help induce labour. I know very little about cohosh's for labour induction and have heard both good and bad things.

So, give me the rundown. What do you suggest? What should she look out for? What about black cohosh, should she use both or just one or what?

TIA! :) 

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#2 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Honestly, I'd be wary of the cohoshes, just because their effect on UR risk hasn't been well studied, and the dosage is unreliable and difficult to control due to differing concentrations in the commercial supplements. 

What other options does she have?  Has she tried repeated membrane sweeps (like one every 3-4 days for a week or two?)  Has she talked to her OB about having a non-stress test and only inducing if baby looks like it's having problems?  Has she talked to her OB about using a foley bulb to initiate dilation mechanically (works if she's less than 4 cm only)?  How about a gentle pitocin induction if everyone agrees that the baby needs to come out? 

I recall feeling very wary about having my water broken as a method of induction for my VBAC because I didn't want to be "on the clock", but really, if they're to the point where they're inducing, you are *already* on the clock, and this can be a simple and more natural way to get labor going than some other methods, so it's also something to consider. 

IF the doc is completely inflexible about the NST she can always not show up for a scheduled repeat c-section or induction, but I'm betting that she can advocate for a NST if it's before 42 weeks.

...so depending on how far along your friend is, I'd go for (in this order)

1.  Repeat membrane sweeps

2.  Non-stress test

3.  IF baby needs to come out, foley until 4 cm dilated

4.  IF not in labor still at that point, rupture membranes

5.  IF not in labor still after 24 hours of ruptured membrane, gentle pitocin

Just my opinion.  Best of luck to her! 

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 5 Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM

I'd also recommend she try acupuncture.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2011, 05:22 PM

Is it one of those routine things  , like "if you´re not in labor by this day , we´ll induce " or is there a real issue , that the baby has to come by a certain time ( and I don´t mean hospital guidelines) ?

Because the problem I see , is , that she greatly increases her risk of ending up with another cs , if the baby is not ready yet , which it obviously isn´t , otherwise she would start having contractions !

So , maybe , she should tell the doctor to just keep monitoring the baby´s well-being and other than that just wait .

If , however , she is at the point , where the baby should really come , she could try nipple stimulation or even taking what´s called a midwife cocktail in Germany .

It is quite effective if your cervix is ready , and it´s a glass of orange juice and a shot glass of castor oil mixed in with it , and then drunk .

It will have two effects , if she´s ready to deliver , she will get nice strong contractions within about 12-15 hours or , if she´s not ready yet , diarrhea , but not really badly harmful .

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#5 of 5 Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 PM

No matter what, skip blue cohosh it is cardiotoxic to the baby. Big doses can basically cause heart attacks, stokes, and seizures in babies. It is big medicine, not to be used unless supervised by someone who knows what they are doing. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page