Pit & VBAC... how real are the risks?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have done all the reading I can and know that the risks of UR go up with induction. I will not allow any cervical gel to be used but am on the fence about pitocin (low dose). A good friend of mine has had 2 VBACs at the hospital I'll be giving birth at (and with the same practice) where they gave low dose pit, epidural, and both of her VBACs were quick and successful.

For my HBAC I was (obviously) with a MW and she let me go to 42+3 before stripping my membranes, which started my labor the next day. All was good.

This time I am VBACing in a hospital (long story as to why, don't wanna go into it here). My doc is letting me go to 42 weeks since I have a "proven pelvis" (yeah, I know). Anyway I tested GBS+ this time. The plan was to have my membranes stripped tomorrow if I hadn't yet gone into labor but now my doc (and honestly I am too) is on the fence about doing that b/c of my GBS status, even though I know the chance of transmitting it is extremely low. I am the type that just does not like to take chances.

So... if it comes down to it, how dangerous would it be to use low dose pit? Believe me, I do NOT want to!! But I want another section much less!! What would you do? Have any of you ever had a VBAC induced with pit?

I am 40+5 weeks today. Btw, maybe I should add that I have been feeling a little crampy this morning. I was also 1 cm and 50% effaced as of 1/24, my due date.

ETA: Just wanted to add too that my doula (who had been at my last birth, my HBAC) who had previously seemed so anti-induction for VBAC is now saying a low dose would not be a big deal... don't know what to believe!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 AM

When I had my VBAC at the beginning of this month I was told my entire pregnancy that they won't induce. However, I know someone who delivered in my same city at a different hospital who was induced with pitocin. It was her second and I am not sure what the story was with her first birth which was a cesarean. 

I think it really depends on the provider. 

Because I was told I would not be induced I did all that I could to get my labor going with natural induction techniques. Thankfully they worked I went into labor 3 days after my due date. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#3 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's dose dependent. Augmentation has been shown to be safer than induction. IIRC, pit doubles the risk of UR from 0.5% to 1.0%.

If we're talking about the pit equivalent of a "nudge", it may not be a bad idea.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#4 of 10 Old 01-30-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

It's dose dependent. Augmentation has been shown to be safer than induction. IIRC, pit doubles the risk of UR from 0.5% to 1.0%.

If we're talking about the pit equivalent of a "nudge", it may not be a bad idea.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but what does "augmentation" mean? Like if I am already having signs of labor??

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 AM

Totally my opinion here, but I think you should avoid all forms of induction.  You went to 42+3 last time, so it seems completely normal for you to bake your babies a little longer.  Also, induction increases the chances you'll end up with another unnecessary c-section.  Don't forget that docs are trained to look for pathology, something wrong.  Also, docs have legal concerns that guide their decision making.  Not a bash on docs, they care about their patients for sure, but it is what it is.  You've done this before, your body knows how to birth a baby. 

You could discuss with the doc that you went over 42 weeks last time, so you may again this time.  Giving you a cutoff of 42 weeks and discussing induction without a medical reason doesn't seem in your best interest.  You could refuse induction but agree to non-stress tests after 42 weeks.  As far augmentation, which means giving you pit after labor has started spontaneously, is a tough call.  I think it is safer than inducing with pit, but it still causes unnatural contraction patterns. 

#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

Yes, this. Induction increases the UR risk, but it is still low, so an induced VBAC may be preferable to a RCS. Pitocin dosages given to a VBAC patient would be much lower than what could be given to a woman without a scar. My VBAC was augmented with a tiny dose of pitocin 24 hours after my water broke. Labor and delivery were otherwise unmedicated and went very well. So while I would avoid pitocin if you don't need it, I was OK with it if warranted. If labor had not started for me by 42 weeks, we were going to talk about induction, but I delivered at 41+1.

Augmentation = boosting a labor that is already underway (like if contractions are far apart but water has broken, etc.).

Katie (36)

Married mom to Patrick (2004), Noah (2006) and Liam (2010) VBAC!!
winner.jpg                                        nocirc.gif                                  jumpers.gif
#7 of 10 Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

After a lot of consultation, I'm actually having pit induction on Monday after laminaria cones Sunday night to help dilate my cervix.  However, I'm having a very, very low dose of Pitocin, spread over a couple of days.  No one's expecting me to have a baby on Monday.  The slow build of oxytocin mimics what my body would do naturally.  Once we've established a good labor pattern, the Pitocin is being turned off and my body's going on its own.

My MFM, who's very supportive of VBAC, told me that the reason most people worry about Pitocin induction is because of the way they used to use Pit.  They'd run it wide open, doubling the dose every fifteen minutes, in VBAC-ing women.  They don't do that anymore - it's a very, very low dose, used very gently.  He highly recommends inducing with Pitocin over an elective repeat c-section, and I trust him with my life (and my baby's).

Kelley, lucky partner to my Canuck and momma to Peter Gwydion (9/08) whistling.gif, Eliot Theoden (2/11) sleepytime.gif, and Harper Ophelia (m/c 6/12) rainbow1284.gif . We breastfeed exclusively, cosleep peacefully, vax selectively, homeschool joyously, and love each other unconditionally! luxlove.gif 
#8 of 10 Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM

#9 of 10 Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM

I had pit augmentation with my VBAC, but it was AFTER a double foley and AFTER breaking my water.  Once it was on, they were super sensitive to it and when my contractions got crazy strong they turned it off and I went from 7cm to delivery totally on my own.

You just have to be careful because the strength of contractions with pit increases the chances of UR.  But if its carefully monitored it can work great!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#10 of 10 Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM

As a side note I had my membranes stripped in 2 of my pregnancies both of which I was GBS+. 

Interestingly I was never told about an increased risk with having GBS, I did have IV antibiotics in labor both times.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page