Preparing for a VBAC pre-pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After reading in the VBAC subforum for almost two years, I think I am really ready to be pg again.  Whether the other stars align and give me a pregnancy for 2012 is a different question, but I want to do everything possible to be prepared fo my VBAC when the time comes.

Pros:

I KNOW I can do this.

I'll be 30, healthy bmi, no illnesses. Easy prior pg.

Went into labor on my own, on my due date.

Dilated to 10 after ~10 hrs. of labor.

Low traverse scar, double stitched 2 years ago.

DH knows I can do it, and believes DD chose not to be born vaginally.  Believes that if she were coming out that way, it would have been after ~10 hrs.

DH supportive of VBAC, birth center, or traveling for a birth if necessary.

Plan to have baby-spinning expert doula or midwife in attendance!

Cons:

Prior uterine synechiae (maybe influenced DD's double cord wrap?)

32 hrs. of BACK LABOR in last pg compromised my judgment re. pain management.

I've been to Ican online, but we will be moving (who knows where) in a few months, so I can't really make logistical decisions yet.  I've done the research.  I'm mentally prepared. But what can I do now to prepare physically for a VBAC?  Is there anything I should be doing to get myself better prepared physcially?  Any thoughts are welcome!

#2 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 02:04 PM

Sounds like you are as well prepared mentally as you can be. As for the physical, I have had different recommendations regarding preparing for my own pregnancy and vbac. Many of the midwives I have spoken to have recommended tailor sitting, kegels and pelvic tilts as much as possible. Some suggested yoga and others have suggested taking a class in vbac birthing. In Seattle there is a doula who hosts a one day class on how to successfully vbac. I am sure there are other classes like it in other cities.  

Wife to Geof reading.gif (4/10), Mom to Connorbabyf.gif(7/14/10) and Cayleigh babygirl.gif (4/20/12). Living with Factor V Leiden (7/12).

#3 of 12 Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM

If baby was posterior, perhaps there is a soft tissue reason. I would pursue therapeutic massage and chiropractic before conception to try to get your pelvis as aligned and balanced as possible.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Hi JustKate!  I'm also educating myself about VBAC before conception.  Just wanted to say hi, and inquire about what kinds of things you've found helpful (if anything) to KNOW you're ready.  Did you take any classes, therapeutic work, etc?  I'm trying to put myself in the best head-space before I even get pregnant, and just looking for wisdom from someone that's a few steps ahead of myself!  Thanks, and best wishes for your VBAC journey!

smile.gif

#5 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi.  I wish I DID know more!  One major thing I'm working on is losing like 10 lbs.... At the moment I'm 5'6''/150-ish, but would feel better closer to where I was before DD's pg.  I really would like to see a chiro, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to with my insurance.  We're moving in May, and I don't expect to be pg before then, so that will probably wait a few months.  I was also thinking about craniosacral therapy, but I'm not sure my DH would go for it, as I'm thinking it would be pricey and not covered by insurance.  Here's a link to an interesting website where the author talks about it's effect on labor/babies.

Something else I'm going to look in to is alternative pain management options--NO2 (nitrous oxide) and water blocks are on my radar.  So much to learn! 

#6 of 12 Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM

Hi,  I wanted to say that the ICAN group here in Austin is really great.  I'm a huge part of it and it was very helpful for me during my VBAC journey, even though it ended in Cesarean.  I did opt for a homebirth with a MW here who is an HBAC mama herself.  We also had a Doula who is very knowledgeable in VBAC and who is now a MW. 

I did a lot of planning before pregnancy.  Our MW did Arvigo Massage (Mayan Abdominal Massage) which helps to align the uterus and all the internal organs.  It also does a lot of sacral work and pelvic pressure point stuff.  Once you go to one visit, you do the self care which is very simple, and helps to massage the lower part of the uterus, especially later in pregnancy to help break up some of the scar tissue. 

I interviewed 9 (yes NINE) MWs before we started to try to conceive.  I finally settled on one that I really clicked with.  I also did a lot of research here in Austin with the hospitals and how they were with VBAC (very poor) just in case I had to transfer.  I'd be more than happy to help you do that for whatever city you are moving to.  It was very empowering to me to know the VBAC atmosphere I was birthing in.  I also did a lot of question asking with the MWs I spoke with and how they felt about VBAC mamas. 

I needed a lot of support prenatally from my Doula, which she was awesome for.  I really wanted someone who understood the journey and would take time for me, even early in pregnancy, not just the 2 visits that come with a typical Doula.  That was helpful, so I asked a lot of the same questions to my Doula that I did with the MWs. 

What was the reason for your primary CS?  I think based on what you have said, you have a lot going for you, and you seem to have a great DH who really believes in you and you have a lot of confidence too.   I think a lot of times a VBAC mama gets caught up on 'what all can I have to VBAC?' and yes, there is a lot you CAN do, but you don't NEED to do all of them to have a great birth.  You really don't need to do any of them most of the time, they are 'just in case' things.  You are a birthing mama who just happened to not have a vaginal birth with your previous pregnancy. 

PM me if you want.  I'd love to help out any way I can.  :)

SpicyTunaRoll78 likes this.
#7 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I want to encourage you to look into the craniosacral and Arvigo. Pricey? Yes? But a small price to pay if they can help heal your body and further help reach your dreams. I am not nearly ready to ttc for #3 yet, but part of my "Pre-preg Bucket List" is both of those. The research I have read show overwhelming support for both being helpful for successful natural birth. Previous C-sections so easily pull and tug on muscles not meant to be pulled. Any kind of body work you can do... :)

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 PM

I'd also mention nutrition.  I am convinced that the reason I was in such a good position to VBAC (even though it ended in another c-section) during my last pregnancy was that my nutrition was really good.  I followed the Brewer's Diet (Bradley student) and had a really, really smooth pregnancy.  I also made sure to keep active, which helped with endurance during labor.  Just a thought.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#9 of 12 Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post

Hi,  I wanted to say that the ICAN group here in Austin is really great.  I'm a huge part of it and it was very helpful for me during my VBAC journey, even though it ended in Cesarean.  I did opt for a homebirth with a MW here who is an HBAC mama herself.  We also had a Doula who is very knowledgeable in VBAC and who is now a MW. 

I did a lot of planning before pregnancy.  Our MW did Arvigo Massage (Mayan Abdominal Massage) which helps to align the uterus and all the internal organs.  It also does a lot of sacral work and pelvic pressure point stuff.  Once you go to one visit, you do the self care which is very simple, and helps to massage the lower part of the uterus, especially later in pregnancy to help break up some of the scar tissue. 

I interviewed 9 (yes NINE) MWs before we started to try to conceive.  I finally settled on one that I really clicked with.  I also did a lot of research here in Austin with the hospitals and how they were with VBAC (very poor) just in case I had to transfer.  I'd be more than happy to help you do that for whatever city you are moving to.  It was very empowering to me to know the VBAC atmosphere I was birthing in.  I also did a lot of question asking with the MWs I spoke with and how they felt about VBAC mamas. 

I needed a lot of support prenatally from my Doula, which she was awesome for.  I really wanted someone who understood the journey and would take time for me, even early in pregnancy, not just the 2 visits that come with a typical Doula.  That was helpful, so I asked a lot of the same questions to my Doula that I did with the MWs. 

What was the reason for your primary CS?  I think based on what you have said, you have a lot going for you, and you seem to have a great DH who really believes in you and you have a lot of confidence too.   I think a lot of times a VBAC mama gets caught up on 'what all can I have to VBAC?' and yes, there is a lot you CAN do, but you don't NEED to do all of them to have a great birth.  You really don't need to do any of them most of the time, they are 'just in case' things.  You are a birthing mama who just happened to not have a vaginal birth with your previous pregnancy. 

PM me if you want.  I'd love to help out any way I can.  :)

Thanks, AustinMom, you always have the right words.   My c-section was due to DD's elevated heart rate--it was in the 200's and they couldn't get it to come down.  Probably related to 30+ hours of back labor and my poor decisionmaking re. pain management.  When they took her out she was wrapped tight in her cord, once around the neck and once around her upper torso.  We're moving to Yorktown, VA in May, so it looks like my future VBAC will be there.  I'm going to join ICAN once we get there, for sure.  I really appreciate the support.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaMem View Post

I want to encourage you to look into the craniosacral and Arvigo. Pricey? Yes? But a small price to pay if they can help heal your body and further help reach your dreams. I am not nearly ready to ttc for #3 yet, but part of my "Pre-preg Bucket List" is both of those. The research I have read show overwhelming support for both being helpful for successful natural birth. Previous C-sections so easily pull and tug on muscles not meant to be pulled. Any kind of body work you can do... :)

I really like the idea of craniosacral work.  There's a woman in Maryland that I've heard a lot about, and my parents live in that area, so maybe that's something I could look in to....  I need my own Pre-Preg Bucket List!

#10 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 AM

There is a mama with the Austin ICAN (Dainah) who had her VBAC in Baltimore.  She said she had a great experience, knows a lot of MWs and Doulas there who helped her.  Maybe join the Yahoo! group if you haven't and ask her about it.  It'd be great going into a new area to know a little bit about it, especially being a VBAC.  She had a HBAC turned VBAC in a hospital.  She said it was really great and empowering.  She's also a pretty good friend of mine and is one of those mamas who is very passionate about VBAC and ALWAYS willing to help with anything.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Quote:

Thanks, AustinMom, you always have the right words.   My c-section was due to DD's elevated heart rate--it was in the 200's and they couldn't get it to come down.  Probably related to 30+ hours of back labor and my poor decisionmaking re. pain management.  When they took her out she was wrapped tight in her cord, once around the neck and once around her upper torso.  We're moving to Yorktown, VA in May, so it looks like my future VBAC will be there.  I'm going to join ICAN once we get there, for sure.  I really appreciate the support.

Quote:

I really like the idea of craniosacral work.  There's a woman in Maryland that I've heard a lot about, and my parents live in that area, so maybe that's something I could look in to....  I need my own Pre-Preg Bucket List!

#11 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM

I am so glad that I am not the only one who is thinking about preparing for VBAC pre-pregnancy! I actually live in the Baltimore area and have heard of a good cranialsacral therapist for children - wonder if it's the same one? I just messaged my friend and asked her if her daughter's therapist works with adults as well.

I have already begun going to to a local CNM for my well woman care and she told me that I am a good candidate for VBAC (it would be HBAC with her as she is no longer affiliated with a hospital. However, I have been reading the book Pushed - and while it definitely has TONS of good information, it has also scared the crap out of me. It seems that no matter what I do I will be at risk. The risk of RCS is greater though, so I am determined to push through. No pun intended, lol wink1.gif

I had a horrible pregnancy with my DS - they thought he had lots of medical problems, I was extremely stressed (and I am one of those who carries stress deep on the inside, so I developed pre-eclampsia), so I (in my then uneducated state) agreed to an induction at Hopkins 2 days before I was due. I made it to 5 cm within 24 hrs (strapped to a bed and a million other things of course), stalled, fetal distress, and my son was born in the OR. Thankfully we were not separated, as they had an entire team of NICU nurses there since they thought he was going to be born seriously ill. He was completely normal and is now a rambunctious 2 1/2 year old. heartbeat.gif

The doctor told me after he was born that my pelvis was too small to give birth, the cord was too short, it never would have worked, blah blah blah...which I'm glad she told me at the time because it kept me from being upset, but my MW has since told me that all of that was most likely a line to keep me from being upset.

So anyway, all that to say that I am curious about everything that the rest of you have found out about preparing pre-pregnancy - please share!

WOHM (29)...in love with my 3 boys - DH guitar.gif (39) , DS  nut.gif (9/17/08) and furry Jones dog2.gif. EDD 4/18/12 hbac.gif

#12 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the cranialsacral therapist in Annapolis: http://dynamicbodybalancing.com/  I do think she sees children, so it might be the same person.

What I've done since I last posted is contact the ICAN leader in the area where we'll be living in a couple of months.  We talked a bit about the care providers in the area, which facility would give me the best chance for a VBAC (I'm not comfortable w/home birth due to the complications DD had), and what my insurance will/won't cover. She happened to have the same insurance as me, so she knew what she was talking about.

My plan is to start going to their meetings once we've moved; lose the last 10 extra lbs I'm carrying; keep reading birth stories (even the scary ones); see a chiro/cranialscaral therapist if possible; and ignore anyone that says one negative word about it. :)

A big part of my healing from my section has been acknowledging that I am not a failure, and moving forward with confidence about the choices I'll make. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page