UPDATE on PAGE 5 - Feel like crying... doc wants me to schedule c/s next week! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How are you doing? It's Sunday night and thinking of you!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#62 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearsMummy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

I had severe cervical dysplasia 10 years ago (I've been with them since I was 17, I'm 33 now) and had to have a cone biopsy.   

Cervical Scar Tissue
 resulting from your cone biopsy could very well be the reason your cervix has been unable to dilate on its own. 

Whoa, really??? Omg! I had NO idea about this!! Do you have any articles I could read about it? Wow, to have a reason why I have trouble going into labor on my own would be great although I would be seriously bummed to find out I had an actual reason, you know?

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#63 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post

How are you doing? It's Sunday night and thinking of you!

Aw thanks. :)

I called the hospital and doc's answering service yesterday and let them know I wouldn't be coming in for the c/s. The hospital was totally fine about it. But today I get a call that the hospital is calling my doc's office looking for me, I guess someone didn't get that message! Anyway I told them I wouldn't be coming in again. My doc's office also called (not the doctor himself) and I told the girl I spoke with (in a very polite tone) that I was not coming in for the c/s as I want to give myself more time to go into labor (and reminded her/them I had DS2 at 42+5). I then said if they would like me to go to get another BPP and NST I would be happy to and she said yeah, that would be good. (I actually really want to get an u/s, btw, because it makes me feel better... otherwise I worry myself sick.) So I am going in today for another (it is done at a place outside of my doc's office, not in my doc's office so I don't have to worry about running into him).

What is a good heartrate for a fetus at this stage (42 weeks even)? Last night I was using my doppler and it went down to 109bpm and it worried me, but this morning it was back to the 120's.

#64 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 AM

normal heart rate is 110-160, so a reading of 109 for a few seconds should fine as long as it's usually over 110. Your baby was probably sleeping. A good sign is if you hear the heart rate increase with movement so you can reassure yourself by listening while the baby wiggles!

#65 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBearsMummy View Post

Quote:

I had severe cervical dysplasia 10 years ago (I've been with them since I was 17, I'm 33 now) and had to have a cone biopsy.   

Cervical Scar Tissue
 resulting from your cone biopsy could very well be the reason your cervix has been unable to dilate on its own. 

Whoa, really??? Omg! I had NO idea about this!! Do you have any articles I could read about it? Wow, to have a reason why I have trouble going into labor on my own would be great although I would be seriously bummed to find out I had an actual reason, you know?

I'm not sure I'd put too much credence in this seeing as you've already had a VBAC - likely much of the scar tissue would've been resolved there. 

Pirogi likes this.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#66 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 AM

i'm proud of you for asserting yourself and not consenting to a c-section today. sending you best wishes!

hoping for a !
#67 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post

i'm proud of you for asserting yourself and not consenting to a c-section today. sending you best wishes!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#68 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Me too!

Quote:

Me three!  Sending some labor vibes your way!!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#69 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Good luck!!!!  

#70 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM

I'll be thinking of you! I hope I get to read your VBAC story on these boards in the next couple of days!

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#71 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Me four!!! Hope your NST/BPP went well today!

Mom to Liv (9/07) ribboncesarean.gif and Nora (2/11) vbac.gif

#72 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 PM

I'm glad you were able to stand your ground! I hope your NST goes well :)

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#73 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys! My BPP was perfect, an 8/8. My fluid was around 15 and I asked this different tech about the gray areas and she said it doesn't look like meconium and rather looks like vernix because there are "pieces" floating around. Mt NST went well but not perfect; there were some nonreactive parts so I have to do another tomorrow morning, I was told to bring some snacks and juice to keep baby moving. The first 1/3 was good and reactive, then there was a long part where baby didn't move (doc said yes, it could be possible baby was just sleeping), then baby was reactive again.

My doctor called me today (well one of them). I was surprised at his worry, which is shoulder dystocia. Out of all the things I thought he would try to talk to me about, this was interestingly not one of them! I don't feel worried about this possibility although I know it's a possibility in any birth. This baby is estimated at 10lbs right now, which is why he is worried. But we all know how accurate u/s's are when it comes to baby's weight this late ;). My other two kids were around 9lbs so that's what I am expecting. A 10lb baby doesn't worry me at all, honestly. I told him I want a TOL. I want a chance at another vag birth. I told him I would be willing to do a light induction but the other doctor said he wouldn't (I've been seeing 2 docs from the same practice). He asked if I'm dilated and I said a week ago I was, at the time it was 1cm. He wants me to come in tomorrow for a cervical check to see if I am more dilated. Don't know yet if I'll do this, I'm well aware he prob wants to put the scare tactics on me but I am honestly curious if I am more dilated. I haven't felt any agitation from anyone yet, mostly just surprise (lol) that I know so much and am so determined. The only time the doc seemed taken aback was when I told him I wasn't going to sue him if something went wrong b/c I didn't have a c/s when I was told to, etc, and that I would sign a paper saying I wouldn't hold them liable, if that would make them feel better.

I'll be honest, I'm still a bit nervous about it all. Not sure how it'll all turn out. Thanks for your support and advice!

#74 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Great job, I am very proud of you.  If you think you might cave or be intimidated by going in for the check, I'd hold off a day or two. What are you today weeks-wise?  You KNOW it doesn't tell you anything about when you'll go into labor, though I know it's hard not to be curious.

You are very strong! Keep it up.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#75 of 104 Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the update!!! You are awesome!!!

Just wanted to add my experience with cervical checks...for both my VBACs, the morning before the birth (i.e. the checks were each around 10 and the births occurred at 7:40pm and 5:53pm) I was HIGH and CLOSED. Like not dilated at all. Somehow my body twice managed to fully dilate and push out a baby within 12 hrs! Cervical checks before labor mean zilch, zero, nada. 

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#76 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 05:03 AM

Just checking in on you JFTB.  I hope you are doing well mentally and physically.  Thinking about you and wishing you the best.  I hope you go into labor soon!

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#77 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 AM

Here's an article I posted about cervical checks and their uselessness for determining progress .... it might be worth the read in case you decide not to get one OR you get one and you aren't as dilated as you would like.

Here's one about the results of a study on levels of amnio fluid.

You are a rock star for standing your ground. No matter what happens, you'll know you did your very best and you should be proud of that!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#78 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 05:31 AM

Glad the test went well... My 3rd baby almost had shoulder distocia, I am not sure how much weight had to do with it but rather that he is a VERY broad kid! 

My second baby was 9lbs 7oz and was fine and #3 was 9lbs 8oz (at 37weeks!) and his shoulders briefly got stuck. Thankfully it wasn't true shoulder distocia and he was delivered just fine.

I guess my point is I don't feel that weight alone is the only indicator by boys were virtually the same weight and the first one practically flew out and the second almost got stuck because he is so much broader then his brother. 

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#79 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 AM

Oh and here's a recent baby weighing over 13 lbs born to a first-time mama vaginally (the news report said "naturally" but I don't know if they meant drug-free as well or just vaginally).

Shoulder dystocia is really reaching for your OB, imo. Not that it's impossible but *true* shoulder dystocia is very rare ("sticky" shoulders but not true shoulder dystocia is more common). It's also far less common in multiparas.

#80 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 11:00 AM

((Hugs)) I wish you could gestate in peace. Gentle labor vibes when baby is done and ready. I will be watching for your VBAC story.

femalesling.GIF Tiffany ClauWi Certified Baby Wearing Consultant, Educator and e-tailer femalesling.GIF

#81 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Hang in there momma!! You can do this!

#82 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Hang in there momma!! You can do this!

Yeah!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#83 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM

The whole amniotic fluid to high or too low thing really makes me beyond angry! I have been teaching childbirth classes for 10 years now and I know for a fact that a woman's levels fluctuate GREATLY from day to day and even from hour to hour!  There are so many variables that can affect the levels...one is whether or not your baby has peed lately (obviously your fluid levels will be higher right after they pee in utero), two is how much water YOU have consumed.  It is very hard for you body to make fluid if you don't drink fluid. 

Two of my past students come to mind...one was planning a birth center birth but got to 40 weeks (which btw is not even AVERAGE...41 weeks and 1 day is average!) so they did a non-stress test on her. The OB on call doing the test told her she needed to go over to the hospital IMMEDIATELY and get induced because her levels were 4.7.  Well, this momma was VERY educated and so she told the OB she was not going to do that but would be willing to go home, drink lots of fluids and come back in 2 days for another ultrasound.  Guess what happened???? When she went back her levels were at 9.2!   I also had a friend who just had this happen to her also and she called me crying because she didn't want to get induced. I told her to go home and drink a lot of fluids and not to pee before her next ultrasound.  Same results...fluid levels were back up and she went on to have a natural vaginal birth.

My point is that the fluid level argument is a bunch of bull and it's just another way for OBs to be able to induce on THEIR schedule.  They used to use the "I think this is a big baby" card to induce until insurance companies began refusing to cover inductions for that reason so they had to find a new MO in order to be able to plan their inductions...fluid levels it was!  When I started teaching 10 years ago, I NEVER heard anyone talk about fluid levels...that came about about 5 years later.

I wish you had been able to have a truly supportive midwife...no woman deserves to feel what you are feeling right now! You should be excited and celebrating the imending birth of you child...not fighting for your basic rights!  This really Pi$$es me off!!!!!!!irked.gif

#84 of 104 Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 PM

So now that your fluid levels are back up, your OB needs to find a new way to bully you so he's moving onto shoulder dystocia???  UGH  And I do believe you are correct when you say that he probably wants to get you in there tomorrow in order to place some more fear into you.  You are a very smart and perceptive mama and your baby is very luck to have such a great advocate!!!

I just really wish you peace and quietness (within yourself) so that you can enjoy these last few days of your pregnancy instead of being in a constant state of stress and adrenaline.  Your baby is obviously doing great and so are you so just forget about all the fear mongering and threats and make a decision to do this YOUR way...and your BABY'S way. Good luck mama!

#85 of 104 Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM

Just wanted to say GREAT JOB!  Wish you didn't have to deal with this bulls$!t. 

#86 of 104 Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Just jumping in here and wanted to say YOU GO MOMMA!  I've done a ton of research on shoulder dystocia as my last baby had mild SD and have found that pushing in a squatting position will prevent it.  Good luck!!

IBCLC, student midwife, and co-sleeping, delayed/no vax, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling Momma to M(8), A(6), R(4)vbac.gifafter 2 c/s, J(2) hbac.gifand M (09/11)nocirc.gif

#87 of 104 Old 02-09-2011, 11:33 AM

here's my daily (or near daily) dose of i'm thinking of you and hoping that all is going well!!! i believe in you and your baby and your body, mama!

hoping for a !
#88 of 104 Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 AM

How are you JFTB1177?  I hope all is well.

#89 of 104 Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Sending you good thoughts and ELV!

Seriously I wouldn't go in for a cervical check. Just introduces bacteria up there. A doula on my ICAN board says "the cervix is NOT a crystal ball!"

Good luck

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#90 of 104 Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM

I am really hoping for an update. I had this pulled on me before..twice..and I stupidly gave in to the csect...twice!!! I almost died from csect complications the last time. I hope you are ok. (((hugs))))

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page