UPDATE on PAGE 5 - Feel like crying... doc wants me to schedule c/s next week! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me preface this by saying I had a successful HBAC 2 years ago, DS2 was born at 42+5, after my MW stripped my membranes at 42+3. I had a 50+ hour labor and pushed for 6 hours... I KNOW my body can do this!

While my HBAC was successful, it was a bit traumatic because it was still a very long and difficult labor, and VERY painful. The pain was too much to bear. This was one of the reasons I wanted to do a VBAC in the hospital this time, that, and my new insurance does not cover hb. A good friend of mine had 2 successful VBACs at the same hospital I am planning on going to, with the same doc practice! They even used Pit with her, which I was told today they won't do with me "since I am a VBAC". Not that I want Pit, but I certainly don't want to be cut open again!! Can't even sweep my membranes because I'm still barely dialated, plus I am GBS+.

I left in tears. One week to go into labor. My stupid body just won't go into labor on it's own, EVER!!!! I am SO upset at myself right now, why can't I have a normal body and go into labor and give birth at 39 weeks? I just want to cry.

What are my options? Should I just refuse the c/s and not show up? And then just show up when labor starts? What will happen if I do that?

If you have read this far, thanks!

Mommy to beauties DS1 (7), DS2 (4, autism), & DS3 (2)

and many angel babies angel1.gif

#2 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 AM

You don't have to consent to anything you are not comfortable with.  So, one option is to refuse to schedule the csec.  Or, going along to get along, you could consent to setting a date, then call that morning and say you are not going to be able to come in after all, and schedule again for a week later. 

#3 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM

I had a similar situation with my first VBAC: c-section scheduled. I did natural induction (google it and you will find several links with things that worked for me...  I will be happy to tell you what worked best for my body) and managed to have a wonderful vbac at a hospital. I asked for epidural when I was 8 - 9 cm as I was losing focus and concentration (well my choice after losing focus was epidural or likely c-section). They gave me pit when I was already pushing to help me push stronger.

Now, I am due this Saturday and praying for a successful vbac.

#4 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM

Have you tried castor oil?

#5 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxie View Post

I had a similar situation with my first VBAC: c-section scheduled. I did natural induction (google it and you will find several links with things that worked for me...  I will be happy to tell you what worked best for my body) and managed to have a wonderful vbac at a hospital. I asked for epidural when I was 8 - 9 cm as I was losing focus and concentration (well my choice after losing focus was epidural or likely c-section). They gave me pit when I was already pushing to help me push stronger.

Now, I am due this Saturday and praying for a successful vbac.

I would love to know what you did!!! I will try almost anything right now! I hope you get another VBAC!! :)

jksmith- I was thinking about trying castor oil... does it work? I have heard it can cause meconium in babies, is that true??

What about acupuncture? Has anyone tried that? I may call my acupuncturist tomorrow...

I had a NST and BPP today- my NST went great and BPP showed baby looking great, using lungs, head right on my cervix (so not floating like my doc said!!), cervix thinning and dilating. Bad news is my fluid is low (7.4). I was told anything 5 and below needs immediate delivery. My HBAC baby had too much fluid! Looks like I just can't win!!

Please help!

#6 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM

With DS2 I attempted VBAC.  When my OB started talking scheduling a C-section, I said "I understand your concerns, but I want to give my body a chance to do it's thing.  So I will agree to a NST and U/S at 41 weeks, and if that's all clear, we can schedule the c-section for 42 weeks if I do not go into labor on my own."  He agreed (I phrased it so he didn't really have a choice.)  I went into labor on my own the day before the NST, labored for three and a half days.  I did end up with another section, but I've since discovered through X-Rays that I have a bone spur that prevents me from being able to deliver naturally.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#7 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM

I would tell the doctor , that you want to wait until 42 weeks , agree to regular check-ups now , to make sure baby is doing well and try to stimulate things on your own . When you go to the doctor , does he check your cervix ?

Because , if your cervix is ripe , even if you are not really dilated , but effaced and soft , you can take a midwife cocktail , which is quite common in Germany .

It´s a glass of orange juice (you can take other juice , but orange masks the taste best) and a shotglass full of castor oil .

If  your body is ready , you will get nice , strong contractions after at the latest 12 to a8 hours , do not take more though , wait at least 24 hours , before you try again and if it doesn´t work , that means , you are not ready yet . And then it´s too early for c/s as well , because then baby is not ready to be born and why jank him/her out before baby is ready to be born !

You may get diarrhea if it doesn´t work , but that is not causing any problems , so it would be worth a try .

And yes , you can refuse a c/s , be nice about it , but other than that , why consent to a surgery that is not necessary ?

And if you do end up going over 42 weeks , maybe yor body is just pregnant a little longer , some women are like that ( me included) , so if you pass that date , you can still buy time , by postponing the surgery

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#8 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Castor oil is not recomended for VBAC's, as it does seem to increase the risk of UR.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#9 of 104 Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 PM

Try nipple stimulation (for my first vbac I did every two hours with my breast pump for about 20 minutes, during the day, and labor started two days after), evening primrose oil (2 capsules inserted in my vagina before going to bed but I started about a week before labor. This does not induce labor but helps in ripening the cervix), accupressure at "spleen 6" (I, well my husband, did it every hour for about two minutes, with a pen to reach the point more easily, and the next day labor started. I have faith in this point as there is mainstream research showing the effectiveness if the body is ready), walk-relax, walk-relax, walk-relax and, as my doula says, let the fears go away.

Very good luck from my heart!!. The spleen 6 should work if done properly and if your body is ready. I may do the same if I go overdue (I was overdue for my son (c-section) and my daughter (vbac)). My OBS wants to do stripping of the membranes but I would try that only if I reach 41 weeks and see that things are not progressing.

#10 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Oh Mama I am so sorry and I am in a very similar situation.  I am 40 wks 1 day and hoping for a VBAC.  My OB said he will not let me go past 41 weeks (even though we had agreed to go to 41 weeks and discuss it, at my last appointment he did not give me that option).  I have been so upset and every day that goes by with no labor has stressed me out.  It's such a shame that what should be an exciting and much anticipated moment is tarnished by a deadline. 

My appointment is tomorrow and I'm sure he is going to try to schedule me for a c-section.  He wanted to schedule me last week for this week but I said no way. My husband and I discussed it and he is going with me and we are going to just say no.  I want to get to 41 weeks have a NST and make a decision from there which I think is reasonable.  I'm okay with going to 42 weeks if all looks well.  Regardless, I'm not agreeing to a c section at  41 weeks.  We will see what happens.  Some say that he can not drop me as a patient without 30 days notice but I've read conflicting information about this being "patient abandonment."  If he does drop me I plan on going to the hospital when I'm in labor and dealing with whatever doctor is on call.  I've got my Husband, Doula, and Mom to support me if it gets hairy (along with a video recorder and the phone number to a couple lawyers in case I'm harassed).  I'm scared to death but I just can not bring myself to say yes to major surgery with no grounds for it.  I'm hoping my doctor will see reason.

Anyway, I know this didn't really help you but I wanted you to know your not alone.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

#11 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsez2u View Post

I'm scared to death but I just can not bring myself to say yes to major surgery with no grounds for it.  I'm hoping my doctor will see reason.

Anyway, I know this didn't really help you but I wanted you to know your not alone.

Aw (((HUGS)))! I hope you get your VBAC too and don't be bullied! I think a mandatory c/s at 41 weeks is ridiculous! I had my DS2 at 42+5 (HBAC baby).

I totally agree with you- I can't bring myself to agree to a c/s when I know I carry for a long time! Are you going to try any natural induction techniques? Membrane sweeping is what got my labor started with DS2, was going to do that again this time but my doctor doesn't want to since I am GBS+ this time. I just made an emergency appt with my acupuncturist for tomorrow to see if he can help start labor! GL with your appt... like others have said, you can schedule and then call on the morning of and say you can't make it... that's what I'll prob do to avoid a confrontation with my doc! GL GL and labor vibes!!

#12 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

Castor oil is not recomended for VBAC's, as it does seem to increase the risk of UR.

Really? I haven't heard this but I did read some scary stories about castor oil causing meconium in babies, some passed away. Do you know anything about that? Do you have any links to articles about castor oil and VBACs??

#13 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxie View Post

Try nipple stimulation (for my first vbac I did every two hours with my breast pump for about 20 minutes, during the day, and labor started two days after), evening primrose oil (2 capsules inserted in my vagina before going to bed but I started about a week before labor. This does not induce labor but helps in ripening the cervix), accupressure at "spleen 6" (I, well my husband, did it every hour for about two minutes, with a pen to reach the point more easily, and the next day labor started. I have faith in this point as there is mainstream research showing the effectiveness if the body is ready), walk-relax, walk-relax, walk-relax and, as my doula says, let the fears go away.

Very good luck from my heart!!. The spleen 6 should work if done properly and if your body is ready. I may do the same if I go overdue (I was overdue for my son (c-section) and my daughter (vbac)). My OBS wants to do stripping of the membranes but I would try that only if I reach 41 weeks and see that things are not progressing.

Thanks for the info! GL with your VBAC as well! Membrane stripping is what got my labor started last time but my doc doesn't want to do it this time b/c I am GBS+ this PG. Is it dangerous to strip membranes when GBS+?

#14 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttu View Post

I would tell the doctor , that you want to wait until 42 weeks , agree to regular check-ups now , to make sure baby is doing well and try to stimulate things on your own . When you go to the doctor , does he check your cervix ?

Because , if your cervix is ripe , even if you are not really dilated , but effaced and soft , you can take a midwife cocktail , which is quite common in Germany .

It´s a glass of orange juice (you can take other juice , but orange masks the taste best) and a shotglass full of castor oil .

If  your body is ready , you will get nice , strong contractions after at the latest 12 to a8 hours , do not take more though , wait at least 24 hours , before you try again and if it doesn´t work , that means , you are not ready yet . And then it´s too early for c/s as well , because then baby is not ready to be born and why jank him/her out before baby is ready to be born !

You may get diarrhea if it doesn´t work , but that is not causing any problems , so it would be worth a try .

And yes , you can refuse a c/s , be nice about it , but other than that , why consent to a surgery that is not necessary ?

And if you do end up going over 42 weeks , maybe yor body is just pregnant a little longer , some women are like that ( me included) , so if you pass that date , you can still buy time , by postponing the surgery

Yes he checks my cervix... according to him I am just a "fingertip" dilated right now and about 50% effaced.

How do you postpone the surgery, I mean, what "excuse" do you use?

#15 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 AM

I can't find the link, but I had a link to a respected midwife's reasoning on the subject.  I believe the reasoning was that CO, along with many other methods of induction, causes harder contrx than nature intended, which puts greater strain on the uterus, and in the case of a VBAC, increased stress on the incision.    I know I had a few other links too, as it was something I thought of doing my last pregnancy, but I decided the risks weren't worth it. 

The links aren't in my bookmarks anymore...darn it all.  I'll see what I can find later today when I have some me time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

Really? I haven't heard this but I did read some scary stories about castor oil causing meconium in babies, some passed away. Do you know anything about that? Do you have any links to articles about castor oil and VBACs??

#16 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 AM

You don't have to have an excuse, but here are a few options to get you started if you feel the need to use one.

My older child is ill

My husband is ill

I feel ill

My car broke down

My (insert extended family member here) died/is ill/needs my help/is flying in from Australia for the first time in 18 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFTB1177 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonttu View Post

Yes he checks my cervix... according to him I am just a "fingertip" dilated right now and about 50% effaced.

How do you postpone the surgery, I mean, what "excuse" do you use?

#17 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 10:15 AM

good luck to both of you, JFTB and simonsez. I wish there were more vbac supportive OBs across the country. i have to drive 50 minutes to mine, but i am just thankful to even have an option at all for a really truly supportive OB.

i'll be thinking of both of you over these next few days.

hoping for a !
#18 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Hey, I am glad to see you are still hanging in there, if even by a thread.  OBs never cease to amaze me.  The fluid argument is a load of bunk.  He sees you are not going to just do what he wants, so he is going to try scaring you into a section.  It makes my furious.  You should be able to trust your doc to do what is best for you.  Instead OBs keep trying to come up with excuses to send women to the OR and the evidience keeps stacking up against them.  Sorry for the vent.  You CAN do this, your body is not stupid and it will go into labor . . . . when you feel safe enough to do so.  I know it is hard advice to follow, but try to relax, take a bubble bath, listen to music, talk to your baby, go for a walk, play with your children, ignore your stupid doctor.  The membrane stripping last time didn't "cause" labor.  You were ready, your body was ready, so you went into labor.  You are strong, hang in there.  Tell your doc as long as NST are good, you are going to wait for labor.  Here is a link to an article about fluid levels.  Go in educated so he can't scare you. 

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/2003/FEBRUARY/030207A.HTM

#19 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM

I wouldn´t use any "excuse" per se . Just tell him , that your goal is to work towards a natural delivery and that you want him to work with you . You can always agree to things like a stress test to see how baby is doing , and it will make you look cooperative as well .

But the honest truth is , if you are only so far dilated and your body is not sending any signals , plus baby is doing well , why take him ?

Clearly and obviously , baby is not ready to vacate yet and you should tell your doctor that !

If you have an otherwise good relationship with him , I would build on that

I agree with one of the other threads , that you didn´t go into labor , because you membranes got stripped , you went into labor because your body was ready   to go . Membrane stripping will only get contractions going if they would have been ready to go within a short time anyway , otherwise all doctors would have to do is strip the membranes at any given time after 37 weeks and poof , we go into labor .

Please , don´t let him push you into anything , I really believe , you will regret it , if you cave in for no reason other than , that he doesn´t want to go over a certain due date

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#20 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM

I would think that since you've had a successful VBAC once already, that the risk of rupture would be pretty low from castor oil, but of course it is a risk you need to consider.

There's also a better way to take it. Try mixing it up in a thick milk shake with your favourite ice cream, it covers up the texture/ taste WAY better than OJ.

However, don't do castor oil if your cervix is long and closed. To soften your cervix you can take 2000mg a day of evening primrose oil, half orally and half vaginally before bed. Also nipple stimulation for one minute on each side every 5 min for an hour might get things going.... and don't forget... lots of sex and orgasms!

#21 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Yep , forget to mention the hokey-pokey part , that works well too . Plus , the added benefit is , it helps you relax and take your mind off the waiting game winky.gif

That´s what I meant with the castor oil , don´t take it until your cervix seems ripe and ready , otherwise you won´t get contractions , just diarrhea . But that also means , that baby is nnot ready yet , so sit tight , at this point it really is only a matter of days and don´t let the doctor pressure you into anything , if you need back-up and support , you knew all of us here are only a mouse-click away !grouphug.gif

#22 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys for all the support!!! I wish I had known when I was PG wiht my first DS what I know now, and I prob would have avoided getting "the cut" in the first place! Grrr.

Does anyone know if acupuncture can help start labor, if body is ready?? I made an emergency appt with an acupuncturist that really helped me after my pg losses (he specializes in fertility and women's reproductive issues), he said he can help my labor to start and is giving up his lunch break to do it (he stays pretty busy).

Baby isn't moving as much as before but I keep checking the hr with my doppler and it's always between the 120's and 140's...

#23 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM

accupuncture was enough to trigger labor in my body when i was 11 days past a precise due date with my first.

with that said...

i think it launched me into prodromal labor and not the real deal. as a first time mom, i mistook the intensity of the prodromal labor to be the real deal and went to the hospital after 7 hours at home. i was only a 2-3 when i got there and should have gone back home. ETA: there was a cascade of interventions after i got to the hospital (one that is pro-natural child birth and less than 10% c-section rate).

moral of the story is, accupuncture can help nudge things in the right direction, but it's no guarantee.

hoping for a !
#24 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Completely anecdotal, but my chiropractor swears she has sent more than one woman into labor by doing adjustments on the feet :D

Wife to a great DH, SAHM to 3 great kids
#25 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 PM

By your siggie you're only 41w + 1 day, right? Hang in there, it's still early for you,  given your history. I know it's stressful but take heart, baby will come when baby's ready. You know your body can do this.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#26 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM

You don't need an excuse.  Just don't schedule/consent.  If you do not consent, they cannot give you a c/s.  YOU get to decide.  YOU are the one with the power to say "No".  YOU get to make the final decision.

Just keep saying, "No".  Nothing else....just "No". 

It sounds like your babies like to cook longer at that's OK! 

Have you thought about skipping the cervical checks?  1) They tell you nothing other than where you are at that exact moment; and 2) they can push bacteria up into the vaginal canal.  Not a great thing when GBS+.

Stay strong, Mama!!!  I know it's REALLY hard when you have such pressure but it will be SO worth it!hug2.gif

- Kim
#27 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 06:48 PM

Here's a good article by a homebirth midwife regarding cervical checks:

Cervical Exams: Who Needs Them?

Hang in there mama.

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#28 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Thank you for sharing this link. I originally planned on declining all cervical checks this pregnancy, but at 39 weeks I decided it could be a nice morale boost. And you know what, it WAS! But now I don't need it anymore. Even though dilation is not a sign of anything (I knew that before this pregnancy and still believe it), it was just reassuring to know that my body IS working for now.

Ummm, I'm rambling now. Again, thanks for the links. I've had my two checks. I feel reassured. At this point, I don't really need to find out anything else. I just need/want a baby in my arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

Here's a good article by a homebirth midwife regarding cervical checks:

Cervical Exams: Who Needs Them?

Hang in there mama.

hoping for a !
#29 of 104 Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with your body.  There is however something wrong with the birth process in our culture and within the medical communities way of handling it.  NORMAL gestation for pregancy is actually OVER 40 weeks from what I have read.  In fact, I read something yesterday that stated that I study had been done that proved the 40 weeks is not even the average and the real average is more like 41 weeks and 3 days (something like that).  I have also read (and this seems to be the most "popular guideline") that most NORMAL pregnancies are 37-42 weeks.  And I am just gonna say this.... How can your body be defective, yet it was not defective in the whole creation of this and your previous birth(s)?!!!!!  Stop letting them (doctors) make you believe something is wrong with you.

Also, I would say to go to the ICAN website and read about your rights.  Look up patient rights.  You can not be forced by doctors or hospitals to do anything you do not consent to.  Also, the hospital must treat you if you come to them.  Your doctor can not drop you without 30 days written notice or without transferring you over to another care provider.  You can drop the doctor if you choose, though. 

I do not think you should schedule the surgery and just not show up.  There may be other surgeries needing that operating room and you would not want to hold those surgeries up.  An easy out if you are not uncomfortable discussing that you do not want to do schedule the c would be to just miss your appointment and wait it out to see if you go into labor.  On that note, my chiropractor said that massaging the ankles can make you go into labor.  So, have hubby do that or treat yourself to a pedicure and ankle massage.   ;)    The baby will come when the baby is done!  Your body has to have a chance to work!  Good luck!

#30 of 104 Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Oh wow , that link posted by Tumble Bumbles should be required reading material for every pregnant woman as well as every ob/gyn .

I can only agree with the others , your child will come , when it´s ready , taking it now or forcing it out would really be like having a preemie in a way . Baby is obviously not ready and it must have a reason , so hang in there , your time will come , when the time is meant to come . And we are all here to support you .

Kim is right , all you have to say is no , nothing else .

If your doc says "we are scheduling a c/s , you tell him , no we are not" 

I hate it , when a doctor says , you will not be allowed to go past a certain time . I decide , what I am allowed to do , nobody else ! And that´s that ! My body , my baby , my decision , Period !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page