Seeking advice/advocacy/help with VBA4C or HBA4C - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! I am new to this discussion board but have found most of the posts regarding VBAC very helpful. I haven't found anything pertaining to my specific situation, so here goes.

I have 4 beautiful children with my 5th on the way (34 weeks gestation). All my previous children were C-sections. The first one: an emer. c-section for "failure to progress" (more or less), subsequent children ERC's because hospitals had VBAC bans and I wasn't informed of any other options at the time. We are living in a different state now, and I am so happy to be seeing a midwife and staying out of the medical atmosphere. However, due to a recent change in ID law, my midwife cannot deliver my baby without consent from a doctor irked.gif

I am left with a just a few choices: go with a midwife who is not licensed and do a homebirth; possibly birth in a neighboring state at a hotel with the same or a different licensed midwife (still looking into the laws about that); drive to SoCal where my mom lives and have a birth there (husband would not be able to attend bcuz of work); or have another c/s.

Does anyone have any encouragement, advice or ideas that would help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#2 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 07:25 PM

With 4 previous c-sections you have some risks no matter how this birth goes down.  I'm sure you will find no data on this, since very few women attempt a VBA4C.  I'm guessing that the risk of UR is certainly greater than it is after 1 or 2 c/s (I find it impossible to believe it wouldn't be).  So the real question, given that you have no data to work with and given that a 5th c-section also has problems, is how do you get the birth you want in the safest way possible? 

Personally, given that I'm guessing the risk of UR is not negligible (let's say, for the sake of argument, that it's around 5%) I would not be comfortable having a home birth in this situation.  Your own comfort level may be different.  I would *definitely* not be comfortable having a home birth with a midwife who did not have a license and/or (ideally) admitting privilages at a local hospital in this situation.  The problem is that IF there is a problem or a potential problem, if your MW is unlicensed and/or will not be able to accompany you to the hospital or even acknowledge that she is your MW, she may be hesitant to have you transfer.  And this could increase the risk of a bad outcome. 

So this leaves you with a hospital birth.  Ideally, you would find yourself a doctor who truly believes that you have the right to *try* anything as long as you really truly fully understand the risks.  (yes, these people exist).  If it were me, I'd go into the hospital, go ahead and have the EFM (because this is the most reliable method to detect UR the soonest -- and we are working with the assumption that you are at elevated risk for UR relative to most VBACs), sit on the birth ball or in the tub (see about a telemetered system), and have your baby. 

How do you find this person?  I'd start by contacting your local ICAN chapter -- they generally know who is VBAC supportive within your community.  Another option would be to show up at a local VBAC-friendly hospital ER when you are in labor, let them know you're a VBAC if they ask, allow them to monitor you but otherwise leave you alone, and have your baby.

Best of luck!!

Youngfrankenstein likes this.

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#3 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 07:36 PM

But is a hospital birth really an option?  If the laws are such that MW's can't attend vbamc, then I would assume that there aren't any hospitals willing to agree to a VBA4C.  I really don't have any helpful advice, OP, but feel for you b/c I would also love to at least be able to attempt a vaginal birth after 4 c-sections, but am not sure I'll ever be able to find a provider. (not that I'm even pregnant, yet.)

Best of luck, and please keep us updated. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#4 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Kltroy, thanks for your reply.

You make some very good arguments about the unlicensed MW. However, if I stay with my current MW and we go out-of-state, will she still have privileges to accompany me, if it's needed? I know she will get in trouble if we stay in-state, so that is definitely out of the question. I don't know of any doctors around here would even let me try either.

I subscribe to ICAN, and have looked extensively at their listings and articles. Unfortunately, they don't have a local chapter where I live. I hope to start one in the near future, but that just leaves me to the regional coordinator, whom I've already emailed about my situation. I'm hoping she'll have some good advice and suggestions for me.

I will definitely keep y'all posted! Thanks!

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#5 of 9 Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!

Well, I found a different MW from out-of-state and we are going to get our HBA4C! She's experienced in HBACs, so I feel confident that we will tsf in time if it is necessary, which I'm hoping is not going to be the case, but you never know!

Anyway, thanks to all the moms for all the support and advice. I REALLY appreciate sooooo much!

Praying everything goes well!

#6 of 9 Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 PM

I know this is old, but I was wondering how it went?

#7 of 9 Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 AM

It looks like she was successful!  http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1318288/intro-to-me-and-my-desire-for-a-vba4c#post_16530583

Janet ~ Wife to Bryon (Ret. USN), Mama to Korbyn(12)homebirth.jpg, Koltyn (7)homebirth.jpgribboncesarean.gif, and Kashlynn (6/23/09)vbac.gif Our long awaited little girl!! ... a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised (proverbs 31:30)

#8 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

So sorry Nirem that I didn't post an update!

Thanks Kwglrup for posting a link to my update in another thread!

#9 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1306349/hba4c-update-the-lord-is-my-strength#post_16370991

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page