Anyone have a transverse lying baby? I'm afraid that's what's going on - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am hoping for a VBAC at the end of March, but recently in preparation started reading about positions, and I think I've convinced myself that this baby is lying transverse. At none of my prenatal appointments have the midwives commented on the babe's position, and I haven't even thought to ask. My last baby was OP and large and that was the reason for the cesarean. It just hasn't even occurred to me until now that there were other positions I should be worrying about, i've been so worried about having another OP baby that that's all I was focusing on.

I have a ton of back and hip pain, so much that I can hardly walk much of the time. I've read in other places people saying similar things with transverse babies. And the way that she lays is definitely sideways in my belly. It's hard to say but I feel like she is pretty much just straight sideways with her head on my left side, maybe a bit lower than the rest of her, but with her back out towards my belly and all the way across my belly. I do feel movement and kicks both high and low, but when I feel with my hand very low in my uterus, there is no bulk there, nothing hard like there is up in the middle.

I am getting seriously bummed out here. I'm 34 weeks. I have another appointment at 36 weeks and have emailed my midwife asking if I should come in extra to have them check this out and am waiting for a reply. Does anyone have advice? Similar situations?

I just can't stand the thought of another c-section. My last labor was very long and traumatic and I ended up under general anesthesia. I need a healthy birth this time.

#2 of 2 Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm due March 16, and my baby is transverse most of the time.  I did moxibustion and acupuncture with someone recommended by the midwives at my OB's office for position.  The baby went from transverse to frank breech during my second appointment!  I also had a webster technique done by a sketchy chiropractor recommended by the acupuncturist, and it hurt and nothing happened.  My baby is going back and forth at nearly 36 weeks between breech and transverse, but is mostly transverse.  With the transverse lie, I am measuring 4-5 weeks ahead even though the baby is normal-sized.  How are you measuring?

I've had 2 c-sections, both internal and external uterine scarring, I'm overweight, and I have a low-lying placenta (although not previa anymore).  I opted to schedule my 3rd c-section.  My OB would support the VBA2C otherwise, though.  I've tried doing positioning exercises, too, and meditating to the baby to move.  If she moves before the c-section (which the OB offered to schedule later if I want), then I will try to labor.

If you have a good acupuncturist who does moxibustion, I suggest you try it!  My acupuncturist gave us smokeless moxa sticks, and DH does it at home for me too, and it really DOES make the baby move.  It's amazing!  I believe, though, that my baby just CAN'T move head down.  I did see on the last ultrasound that she has a cord around her neck, and maybe that's why. 

Also, I've heard about versions being successful, but I opted not to go that route since the baby has worked so hard to turn on her own. 

I'm sure someone will recommend spinningbabies.com - it will help you figure out the position, too.  Where do you feel hiccups?

Anyway, best to you!  I hope your baby is in a good position. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page