VBAC concerns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I am newly pregnant with baby #2 due October 15th.  I had a c-section with my first because he was breech.  To be honest, there is a big part of me that would just like to schedule another c-section.  Last time was easy and painless, my recovery was no big deal, and I like the idea of knowing the date ahead of time (mainly to be able to prepare childcare for my son).

BUT... I really want to labor. I want the experience. I don't want an unnecessary c-section.  I want to recover faster and be able to pick up my son as well as the new babe... and mostly, I want to do what is best for me and my new baby.

So, of course since I found out I was pregnant I have been a swirl of emotions... I am scared - scared of the labor, scared of a rupture.  I really loved my doctor last time, but will she be on board? And even if she is, will she really do everything in her power to make sure I give birth vaginally?  I was pretty devastated last time when I found out he was breech (2 days before he was born), I am worried it will happen again.

Any words of advice, encouragement, or your own experience would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM

You are in an excellent position to vbac especially given the reason for your c-section.  And the risk of a rupture is less than 1% - that is a very, very, very small risk!  There are far greater risks in having a repeat c-section.  Also, I cannot fathom a reason why your care provider wouldn't be 100% on board.  Good luck!

#3 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM

I just had a VBAC in September, 2.5 years after a very peaceful, simple, easy-recovery c-section.  My recovery was 100x easier.  I felt like I nearly hadn't given birth, which was super since I had 2 preschoolers at home.

Keep reading here.  Study. Make sure your care provider won't just *allow* a VBAC but genuinely wants that for you. Hire a doula. Believe in yourself.  Use your anxiety to fuel your preparation.  

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

There is a thread in the regular Birth and Beyond forum called something like "Was your VBAC worth it?".  There are some awesome, inspiring responses.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#4 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Even though you may feel a bit scared, if you read up on vbac you will find that UR rate is very very low for 1st timers. And you don't want to head down the "once a c/s, always a c/s" path that hospitals will try to dish out after you've had 2 c/s. More than likely your doctor will be willing to work with you since he was breech and it wasn't due to FTP.

Best wishes!

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#5 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Like previous posters said, you are an ideal candidate for VBAC.  I think every mom who's had a CS is an ideal candidate.  Even moms who have CPD (not failure to progress, but a CPD diagnosis) still have a 50% chance of having a VBAC!  So it's TOTALLY worth it!

There are always a lot of emotions concerning VBAC.  I find a lot of obstetricians only talk about the risks of rupture, and not the risks of having repeat surgery.  To you AND baby, especially if your CS is scheduled and you don't labor before it.  It really is a journey.  To put out numbers (which can never seem small or low enough) the risk of rupture is less than 1%.  And of those mamas who rupture, only 1 in 4 are serious and life threatening.  Very low.  Now, compare that to the risks of CVS (where they do amniotic fluid sampling) it has a risk of 1% miscarriage.  But yet, OBs hand out CVS like candy to mamas, but say VBAC is too risky.  When if you see that the risk of of CVS has a 1% death rate of the baby, and VBAC has a 1% risk of rupture, where on 25% of those are serious and COULD result in death...it really doesn't add up.  There is no reason a CP should refuse VBAC to you in your situation.  It's very safe. 

It may be worth thinking about asking your OB "HOW do you support a VBAC mom".  Not just IF she does, but what does she do to HELP a mom have a successful VBAC. 

HIRE A DOULA HIRE A DOULA HIRE A DOULA!  They are so so important through the pregnancy to support you emotionally through the process of dealing with your fears, giving you info, planning for the birth etc.  Then during the birth, supporting you through that process, especially if you end with a cesarean, then afterward, working through the postpartum recovery which if it ends in CS could be rocky. 

That little voice in you that wants to experience birth is, in my opinion, the voice all us women have that help guide us through pregnancy, motherhood.  It's important to keep in touch with that, even during the birth.  It may not be the 'norm' of what a typical woman in our society thinks, but it is real, and normal for a mama to have that desire.

I think you are going to do great and will birth beautifully!  It's important to keep in mind that you are a birthing mama who just happened not to have had a vaginal birth with your last baby.  Not really much different than a mama who did.  :)

Much love to you!

#6 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM

My first pregnancy ended in a c/s due to twin A breech. I have since had 8 HBAC and never regretted my choice. They have been extremely satisfying experiences.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#7 of 10 Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Try to focus on the overwhelming evidence that you can have a successful VBAC.  As opposed to a 99.7% chance that a primip won't rupture, you have a 99.5% chance that you won't rupture, especially if you don't induce or augment your labor.  You are an excellent candidate for VBAC.  Of course you're going to be afraid!  But you can overcome your fears, no matter what you decide.

My first c/s recovery was pretty easy.  My second c/s recovery was fairly uncomplicated but really miserable.  Remember that a cesarean is a MAJOR abdominal surgery - the very small increase in rupture risk, really isn't an evidence-based justification for any woman to feel forced/pressured/scared into a repeat major abdominal surgery.

Have you read "Pushed" or "Born in the USA."  You might feel "better" about your decision to labor after reading one or both of those books.

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#8 of 10 Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post

Like previous posters said, you are an ideal candidate for VBAC.  I think every mom who's had a CS is an ideal candidate.  Even moms who have CPD (not failure to progress, but a CPD diagnosis) still have a 50% chance of having a VBAC!  So it's TOTALLY worth it!

There are always a lot of emotions concerning VBAC.  I find a lot of obstetricians only talk about the risks of rupture, and not the risks of having repeat surgery.  To you AND baby, especially if your CS is scheduled and you don't labor before it.  It really is a journey.  To put out numbers (which can never seem small or low enough) the risk of rupture is less than 1%.  And of those mamas who rupture, only 1 in 4 are serious and life threatening.  Very low.  Now, compare that to the risks of CVS (where they do amniotic fluid sampling) it has a risk of 1% miscarriage.  But yet, OBs hand out CVS like candy to mamas, but say VBAC is too risky.  When if you see that the risk of of CVS has a 1% death rate of the baby, and VBAC has a 1% risk of rupture, where on 25% of those are serious and COULD result in death...it really doesn't add up.  There is no reason a CP should refuse VBAC to you in your situation.  It's very safe. 

It may be worth thinking about asking your OB "HOW do you support a VBAC mom".  Not just IF she does, but what does she do to HELP a mom have a successful VBAC. 

HIRE A DOULA HIRE A DOULA HIRE A DOULA!  They are so so important through the pregnancy to support you emotionally through the process of dealing with your fears, giving you info, planning for the birth etc.  Then during the birth, supporting you through that process, especially if you end with a cesarean, then afterward, working through the postpartum recovery which if it ends in CS could be rocky. 

That little voice in you that wants to experience birth is, in my opinion, the voice all us women have that help guide us through pregnancy, motherhood.  It's important to keep in touch with that, even during the birth.  It may not be the 'norm' of what a typical woman in our society thinks, but it is real, and normal for a mama to have that desire.

I think you are going to do great and will birth beautifully!  It's important to keep in mind that you are a birthing mama who just happened not to have had a vaginal birth with your last baby.  Not really much different than a mama who did.  :)

Much love to you!

This.

Wishing you the best!

#9 of 10 Old 02-20-2011, 06:33 AM

Read Read Read!  I am having an HBAC this June.  My first was a scheduled section for breech as well and the more I read and educate myself the more I realize in my situation how unnecessary it was.  I had major surgery because of dr.s and my midwife's ignorance and, to my shame, my own.  Don't listen to a word a dr says until YOU have done the reading.  In my experience all dr.s have a certain prejudice and will slant all info or conceal info from you to get you to do what they want. (I dont believe all dr.s are evil, really - just human.) 

So far every dr I have asked to do my prenatal care has refused me because VBACs are 'too dangerous' (Japan is unfortunately an anti VBAC country of late) but NOT A SINGLE dr has told me about the countless and dangerous risks to a second c-section.  Dr.s have used outdated and wildly inaccurate data to back up their claims.  I only knew this though because I have spent enough time researching stats and studies. (Another case in point - since 1981 studies have also concluded that a vaginal breech birth is just as 'safe' as a scheduled c-section - one is NOT better than the other though most dr.s will try and tell you it is.)

I KNOW  a VBAC is absolutely the right course for me because if I dont have one I will spend the rest of my life wondering what it would have been like to give birth, to feel a contraction, to hold my baby right after birth, to not have to deal with IVs, dr.s, scars, etc etc.  In other words not having a natural birth will be a regret I know I would have for a very long time.

But it is not for everyone - if a scheduled section appeals to you, you are def not alone. Just make sure you make that choice with a solid base of knowledge and not blind faith in 'my dr will only do what is best for me.'  NOT TRUE!  There are women who have had a section for each child they had and loved it.  I think you need to decide which one you are and focus all your energy on getting your desired result.   Good luck!

#10 of 10 Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

I totally understand your concerns because I was right there recently.  I gave birth to my daughter two weeks ago.  It was a natural VBAC at the hospital.  She was #2 for us.  Our son was born via c-section for failure to progress (labor was only 8 hours).  I had an easy c-section recovery but this go around I wanted to birth my baby my way.  I can tell you there is a big difference, at least for me, in how I feel about the two births.  I feel really accomplished having vaginally delivered my daughter.  I also felt more in control and powerful during her birth.  I felt scared during my son's birth and powerless.  I did tear with my daughter, third degree, but the healing has not been that bad and not as long as healing from the c-section.  I watch the video from her birth and I glow with pride and feel in awe that I pushed her out into the world. Right after birth she was placed on my tummy where I fed and snuggled her immediatelylove.gif

I dealt with concerns and worry over labor and rupture by believing that I could labor and deal with the pain (hypnobabies helped me relax although it was not a pain free birth) and knowing that with birth of any kind there are no guarantees. You just have to make a knowledgeable decision, the best one for you, and go with your heart.

Wife to my love Ted, and Mama to DS  ('09)    DD  ('11)  DS ('12) love.gif!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page