Preparing for VBA2C in birthcenter in April, advice on herbs etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey ladies. I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself, I'm Rebecca, 26 turning 27 in April. I'm due April 20th with our first baby girl :) The original plan for me was to have a repeat scheduled c-section since no Doctors here Las Cruces,NM allow VBA2C, only after 1. I basically had my hands tied because the law in New Mexico also does not allow midwifes to attend VBAC's at home. My first c-section was 9 1/2 years ago, I was only 17 when I had our first son and my blood pressure went up at my 38 week appt. They induced me the next day because of that, after about 4 hours on pitocin I only dialated to 3cm, during which time I also had a an epidural which I know slows things down. My blood pressure was still up and the doctor said the cord "could" be wrapping around his neck, even though his heartbeat was normal, so I was wheeled off for an emergency c-section. Six years later(in 2007) we had our second son, which was a repeat c-section. We were stationed in a small town when my husband was Airforce and that hospital had a ban on VBAC's. I had the option to drive 1 1/2 hours away to a bigger hospital, but I would also have to have all my appt's over there for my whole pregnancy. I could not go 1 1/2 hours there and back for every appt. so I opted for a repeat cesarean, 3 days before my due date. I have always wanted a VBAC, my recoveries were hard even though the second one was easier. I was lucky enough to find a midwife 45 minutes in El Paso,TX. We are right on the Texas line. She does home births (which she cant do with me because of the laws in New Mexico) but she also works at a birth center which is where I will be birthing. She has no problem with me having 2 cesareans and thinks I wont have a problem given the reason for my c-sections. I have had an uneventful pregnancy as I did with my youngest son. I haven't gained a lot of weight, and I'm trying to be as healthy as possible in preparation for VBAC'ing. My midwife suggested I drink Red Raspberry Leaf tea, or take capsules. Im not sure how much to take though since I just started and Im 31 weeks today. How many mg is safe? I am also taking flax,borage and fish oil. I had PPD after my last son and she said that would help during and after my pregnancy. I have been having anxiety lately, not just about birthing but before I knew I was going to get to try for my VBAC I was terrified of a 3rd c-section, and Im anxious about birthing in a birth center. I have only been in hospitals. Now I know its what is best to ensure I wont have another c-section. The hospitals wont allow it and my midwife is %100 behind me. Any advice on good books to read? I heard hypnobirthing can be good, also what about pregnancy yoga to help relax me a little? Any other advice? Thank you so much in advance!

Rebecca (26) DH Damian (29) DS1 (9 yrs old) DS2 (3yrs old) due April with our first baby girl, going for a VBA2C! vbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-16-2011, 12:59 PM

read "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin. It is an awesome read on the birthing process and those who are in support of natural birthing. There is one story in there about a woman who could not stop laughing during her birth. With every contraction, she got a huge smile on her face and started cracking up.

Just repeat to yourself every day that you can do it. You will have your baby naturally. Self affirmation goes a long way. I would reccomend doing perinnium(sp?) massages also, so you won't rip. Make sure your head is in the right space. Breathe, imagine the baby being born exactly how you want it to happen. Imagine and picture every little detail. Every move you make, exactly how you want to make it.

That helps me in everything that I do, I'm sure it can help if you focus.

carrot.gifeat.gifVegetarian mama to 2 modifiedartist.gifviolin.gifC-sectioned boys (3-17-06) and (9-13-04). TTC #3 and going for a vbac.gif3 after T-cut incision but so far neg.gif

#3 of 14 Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 AM

I'm so glad you came over the boarder to birth!  I'm in Texas and let me tell you it's a pretty rigorous licensing process for MWs here to get licensed and you are in good hands!

What concerns you about birthing in a Birthing Center?  Is it safety, pain medication, etc?  I had a birthing center birth turned CS with my first.  It was a very smooth transition to the hospital.  It was non-emergent, as most are, I was exhausted after 27hrs of labor.  Then with my second, I planned a home birth after cesarean, and we transferred again due to some bleeding and exhaustion (30+hours).  Very smooth transition as well, even when there were complications.  I could go on and on about the safety and how great out-of-hospital birth works when you decide/need to transfer, even with VBAC. 

I think Spiritual Midwifery is great.  You'll read a lot of birth stories of the birth center there, and some homebirths there at the Farm.  Also, Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is great too.  Very similar books.  If you want some VBAC stories, Artemis Speaks if full of them as well as tons of other pregnancy and nutrition information.  Some out of hospital, some hospital. 

I think Yoga is great to help really understand your body.  Especially when you are doing Yoga, focus on what your body is doing in the poses, what muscles are stretching and working.  And really breathing normally, deeply, and what ever feels natural to you and gets you oxygen.  Not really focusing on any 'pattern' of breathing.  Most prenatal yoga (there's a really good home DVD by Shiva Rae) will focus on the pelvic floor and other parts of your body affected by pregnancy and birth.  Belly Dance is also great, and you can use the movements in labor to help bring baby down. 

Do you have a Doula?  If you don't, I'd get one.  I know you are going through MWs and some MWs think that a Doula is redundant, but with my Homebirth, I had both a MW and Doula and am very very glad that I did.  I think I had a lot of anxiety during my pregnancy and it was really nice to have not only my MW, but also my Doula I could turn to..

#4 of 14 Old 02-18-2011, 09:04 PM

I live in NM and have had 8 VBACs at home, 7 in this state, the last 6 unassisted. My last midwife attended HBAC was in 1998. I am not aware of a law here preventing midwives from attending VBACs.

As to the anxiety I have found floradix has helped me. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#5 of 14 Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You all so much. I have bought Spiritual Midwifery and Birthing from Within. I have also bought the prenatal Yoga DVD and plan on starting it next week. I don't have a doula, would love one but really cant afford to since I'm paying my midwife and insurance will likely not cover/reimburse me. I'm preparing myself mentally, and physically and I love hearing positive stories of VBAC. I'm trying to surround myself with positive people only, I have a few people in my life right now discouraging me, people who don't their facts and only what is put out their about VBAC's. Too bad their isn't more out there about the risk of a repeat c-section.

Rebecca (26) DH Damian (29) DS1 (9 yrs old) DS2 (3yrs old) due April with our first baby girl, going for a VBA2C! vbac.gif
#6 of 14 Old 02-21-2011, 10:37 AM

I think having a Doula is very important.  I was planning a homebirth with my VBAC and had both a very understanding, loving MW (who HBACed herself) and a Doula.  Our Doula acutally was the leader of our local ICAN chapter.  That's another thing, get involved with ICAN, it will really make a huge difference.  It may seem simple, but it make a pregnancy oh so much more enjoying and empowering and supported knowing you are around people who understand and support you. 

Check with the Doula certifying organizations and see if there are any Doulas in Training in your area who are willing to attend a birth for free.  If you were in Austin, I'd do it for you.  :)  DONA is a great place to start.  Contact the nearest DONA trainer and ask her if there are any Doulas in training in your area.  :)

#7 of 14 Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Mommyrebecca 919 I sent you a private message.  Please let me know if you received it.  Thank you !

#8 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 PM

My midwife put me on the following regime:

1.  Dr. Christopher's 6 W Birth Prep Formula starting at 34 weeks.  1 pill per day at 34 weeks, 2 pills per day at 35 weeks, increasing by 1 pill every week.  At 39 weeks you should be taking 6 pills per day.  They have RRL in them, so you wouldn't need to drink the tea.

2.  One dose of Caulophyllum per day (the homeopathic version of Blue cohosh- 3 pellets a day) starting at 36 weeks

3.  3000 mg of EPO vaginally starting at 37 weeks

Good Luck!  I'm also a VBAC, currently 4 days over due.  I'll update again to let you know how labor goes.  (It's supposed to go relativly quick when taking Dr. Christophers)

#9 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Ill ask my midwife about that formula, I have been having RRL tea every night, 2 teabags for 16 ounces. I am also taking Flax, Borage, and Fish oil combo. My midwife recommended I take that, said it helps balance out hormones and helps you labor better. Good Luck on your upcoming VBAC, I cant wait to hear you story :)

#10 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM

I think you are in a GREAT situation for an awesome VBAC. It's wonderful that you are at a birth center. With your birth history, you can have every reason to believe you'll have a VBAC this time.

As I'm sure others suggested, drinking a cup or two of the tea a day will be great. I need to bump that up myself as I am 34 weeks.  I like honey and lemon in it.

I really liked Ina May's Guide to Childbirth with regard to receiving encouragement to be confident to labor.  You also want to prepare for natural childbirth. Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way is a great book to lead you through the normal process of childbirth, and is very appropriate for both you and your DH. 

I second getting a doula, even though you are at a birth center. I labored at a birth center but voluntary transferred to the hospital which led to the c/s not long after (completely unnecessary). I am absolutely confident that my son could have been born at the birth center had the midwife suggested more positions and had I waited for dilation to be complete before pushing. If I had a doula, I am very sure those things would have fallen into place and I would have had the support needed to have the birth finish as wonderfully as it had started and progressed.

We're doing a homebirth this time because between the hosp and home, we want to be home. If VBACs were allowed in birth centers here, we probably would have taken that route.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 14 Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the advice Alicia! I have those 2 books, and have not started them yet. Im currently reading "Birthing from Within" I have been going pretty crazy at Barnes and Noble trying to find any material on nautural childbirth and help me feel more confident to VBAC. Im sorry to hear about your transfer from the birthing center which ended in a c-section but it sounds like your very prepared to VBAC this time. Luckily in TX the laws still permit VBAC's at home and in birthing centers, but not in NM. Im lucky to be right on the state line, its only a 45 minutes drive. Thank you for the encouragement, it means a lot smile.gif

#12 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM

hyonobabies

#13 of 14 Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Yes, Hypnobabies is awesome. I haven't given birth with the program yet, but they cd's have helped me relax so much! I easily get heated about anything and my BP sky rockets. The program has helped a lot with it.  Yesterday my BP was high at my appointment and I told the nurse to give me a couple of minutes before taking it again. When she went to get someone else to take it, I used my hypnobabies techniques to relax and my bottom number dropped by 20! The nurse was a little shocked and I was happy I didn't have to worry about high BP being in my chart. There is a VBAC affirmations scripts available, but I didn't get it.

married 11/06, DD May 2009, DS  April 2011successful, natural 9lbs 6ozvbac.gif

#14 of 14 Old 03-30-2011, 10:15 PM

I second Hypnobabies.  I used it with my first birth, which did result in a c-section, but my hypnosis worked great and I was able to work for approx. 45 hours without having any pain meds until just before we accepted a c-section.  I believe in it so much that I now teach Hypnobabies.  Two great MP3 tracks you can check out for free to see what you think and to learn more are posted below.

Information about Hypnobabies - http://www.enjoybirth.com/music/Hypnobabies-Introduction.mp3

Relaxation Track - http://www.enjoybirth.com/music/Hypnobabies-Relax-Me-Script.mp3

Good luck in your preparation.  I'm also planning my VBAC and will be birthing at home this time unless it becomes medically necessary to go to the hospital. 

Katherine

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page