venting about CPD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

banghead.gif  I'm so frustrated!

I want to ring the neck of the doctor who did my emergency c/s for diagnosing me with CPD!!!

I am convinced that my baby would not descend because he was POSTERIOR, not because my pelvic is too small! Now, no doctor will take me b/c it's in my records and is "a condition that cannot be remedied". UGH!

I wish my last doctor would have annotated in my records that she thought I would be perfectly capable of delivering vaginally. Oh well, I guess a homebirth without my licensed MW is the way I'll have to get my VBAC. I am determined. I know I can do this!

Yes, the thought of a homebirth is a little scary to me, especially without the MW I feel so comfortable with, but the law has bound her hands, so we can't do anything about that yet shake.gif  , but thankfully I do know someone who will be an extra set of eyes for us thumb.gif

Thanks for hearing me out!

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#2 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM

That is so tough!  I'm so so sorry.  I'm sure you have told the CPs that you spoke with that your 'CPD' was due to fetal positioning.  If not, that's worth a shot. 

Maybe look into hiring a Montrice.  If you are not familiar with them, they are basically Doulas who can monitor the babys heart, your temp, blood pressure, etc anything else you may need, and do a vaginal exam if needed.  Or maybe hire a MW as a montrice and have her sign a form saying she is not your CP, but will give you the specifics on the baby's heart tone so you can decide where to go from there. 

I'm sure everything will be fine, and many moms have a hard time helping a baby descend when the baby is posterior.  That's a tough labor. 

You've visited Spinningbabies right?  Do you have a Doula or someone to help with fetal positioning?

#3 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip!

That may be an option for us. I have received lots of emails today from some MW and doulas alike, so it's look like we're getting somewhere!

Big huge thanks to Noel from fruitfulvinemidwifery! thumbsup.gif

I am looking into a doula. I'm meeting with her on Sat. She's new, but I'm willing to give her a chance and add to her birthing experiences. What do you think? I know she can't monitor the baby or anything medical like that, but I'm more interested in having her support, encouragement and advice for birthing positions. She'll also be there to support my husband.

I haven't visited spinningbabies. What is it? I'll probably research it tonight

Thanks again!

Wife, and mommy to 6 kiddos : ds REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 6/7/05, emer. cs; angel1.gif 1/06; ds bikenew.gif, 12/5/06, repeat cs; dd blowkiss.gif, 4/28/08, repeat cs; ds flowersforyou.gif, 10/23/09, repeat c/s; ds guitar.gif, 3/25/11, HBA4C; dd energy.gif, 4/28/13, waterbirth.jpg2HBA4C!   IHhbac.gif & vbac.gif
#4 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Good luck in your birth!  I had a successful VBAC - and the "diagnosis" in the records was CPD :P  My OB told me I made babies that were too big for my pelvis (boo!)  And then I had a natural, successful VBAC in the hospital - and the baby was smaller than my first - I think to prove that OB was WRONG!!  A HUGE help for me was having a midwife who told me she did VBACs all the time and that it was totally possible and I could do it!  I know if I had a bigger baby I could do that too!  I'm 5" taller than my petite mother, and she gave birth to 9 and 10lb babies!  (myself included)  There was a woman back east who was NOT diabetic and had a 13 lb baby -vaginally and naturally!

The point of all this is, You can do it!  It SUCKS that the system is not supportive of women in our situation as obviously the best thing would be to have a CP there with you but I understand you do what you have to do.  Just keep following your "inner guide"  wink1.gif and you won't go wrong!

DH reading.gif    DSbikenew.gif  joy.gifDDvbac.gif      soapbox.gif  MEfly-by-nursing1.gif
#5 of 15 Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 AM

I would TOTALLY have Doula, but as a Doula, I know it would be hard for me to attend an unassisted birth, but that's just me.  I would feel much more comfortable having someone there who is liable for medical advice.  As a Doula, I don't give recommendation and don't want to either on mother and baby well being, physically in the sense of heat tones, bleeding, etc.  Of course, I'd LOVE to be part of homebirths, but if something was to come up with an unassisted birth, it would be hard for me to keep my Doula brain and not give recommendation on when to go to hospital in the event of emergencies.  I think that's the beauty of a Doula and a MW at a homebirth.  The Doula is there solely for support for the couple and don't really have the safety of the two at the forefront of her mind, but the MW does, who also cares deeply for the couple and the baby. 

I'd see if a MW would be willing to be there as a Montrice, that takes off a lot of the legal pressure and their liability, and would make, in my opinion, me feel more comfortable if it was me birthing. 

I'm not against unassisted birth, for me as a mom, I know I wouldn't be able to do it just based on my personality, and I'd choose to have a CP there.  Does this make senes?

#6 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE!!

I have a MW who will work with me! PTL! I'm very pleased with her thus far, and I can't wait to have this baby!!!

labortrials and DoulaReese like this.

#7 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 06:58 PM

YAY! joy.gif  So happy for you!  Are you still going to have a Doula?  I had both with mine and am glad that I did. 

#8 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I am looking into hiring a doula, but I don't know if I should hire the one I interviewed or not. She's only been to 2 hospital births and is pretty new. I like her, but I don't know if I would want someone who is more experienced, especially because my MW's assistant will not be accompanying her.

What do you think?

#9 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM

A doula doesn't do anything medical.  She doesn't do what an assistant MW does.  Personally, I'd want my MW to have an assistant there.  That's just me.  You can always have more than one Doula.  In fact, I'm pretty new myself and am working with a mama who also hired a very very tenure Doula.  I think it's great.  Interview a bunch of Doulas.  See if you can find one who is a montrice as well.  You have lots of options there.  I knew a mama who had 4 Doulas. IT's whatever works.  For me, I'm very private and really only had my MW and my Doula (who happened to get her license as a MW by the time we birthed so she actually acted as the assistant MW and Doula).  But that's a very unique scenario. 

#10 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

You have to feel totally comfortable with your choice of doula - just as you do care provider.  Don't be afraid to keep looking until you find someone you're totally comfortable.  My opinion is that experience goes a LONG way in this field, but it isn't everything.  A lot of experience can also harden a person - and remember no matter WHO you hire, they will not be perfect.  I could tell you what I need in a doula - but that may be different for you.  Something universal will will someone who will be caring/attentive, has faith in your abilities and totally safe/non-judgmental because you will be at your most vulnerable.

This may seem obvious, but exactly WHY do you want a doula and what do you hope she will do?? 

DH reading.gif    DSbikenew.gif  joy.gifDDvbac.gif      soapbox.gif  MEfly-by-nursing1.gif
#11 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Here's the link to the CPD white paper on the ICAN website - http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/cephalopelvic-disproportion-cpd.  Posterior presentation is a very common cause for this diagnosis.  Can you contact your previous care provider and ask for a written statement regarding why the diagnosis was given?  Also have her include the statement that you're a good candidate for VBAC.

I'm sorry you're not able to work with the MW you want.  That's no good!!!  I hope that either additional documentation will change this situation or you're able to find a different solution!!

Hugs!!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#12 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I ended up with a c/s with my last baby for "CPD". It was a load of crap, imo. He was posterior and I fully believe that position makes a lot of difference. In my case, I was hooked up to an epidural so that was another strike against me and I couldn't push him out. It had nothing to do with the size of his head though! Good luck!

Labortrails: We were in the same DDC in 2009. Congrats on the new pregnancy! I'm 40 weeks today and planning a VBAC too. God bless the rest of your pregnancy!

labortrials and DoulaReese like this.

Corrie, "trad" Catholic, wife to DH and Mom to DD (4/07), DS (2/09), DD (2/11), DD (4/13), two angel babies. 
#13 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by labortrials View Post

Here's the link to the CPD white paper on the ICAN website - http://www.ican-online.org/vbac/cephalopelvic-disproportion-cpd.  Posterior presentation is a very common cause for this diagnosis.  Can you contact your previous care provider and ask for a written statement regarding why the diagnosis was given?  Also have her include the statement that you're a good candidate for VBAC.

I'm sorry you're not able to work with the MW you want.  That's no good!!!  I hope that either additional documentation will change this situation or you're able to find a different solution!!

Hugs!!

Since my first birth was over 5 years ago, I don't think the doctor who attended my birth would remember my case. She wasn't my primary caregiver and actually the first time I met her was when I was in labor. I really don't think she would say I'm a good candidate for VBAC either, since I've had 4 c/s already. I am confident however that it was a misdiagnosis, and both of my MW's are confident that I can deliver vaginally.

My new MW will be coming for a visit next week. I'm excited to meet her! I praise the Lord he directed me to her. Also, my current MW says she feels very comfortable being the assistant, so that's another bonus! She'll be acting as my doula too, so I don't have to hire someone else and try to get acquainted in such little time.

Just 3 more weeks! Yeah!

DoulaReese likes this.

#14 of 15 Old 02-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea17 View Post

My new MW will be coming for a visit next week. I'm excited to meet her! I praise the Lord he directed me to her. Also, my current MW says she feels very comfortable being the assistant, so that's another bonus! She'll be acting as my doula too, so I don't have to hire someone else and try to get acquainted in such little time.

Just 3 more weeks! Yeah!

That's fantastic!  Can't wait to read your story!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

#15 of 15 Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 PM

SO glad things are working out!  Definitely would love to hear your story no matter what happens!!  <3 and blessings to you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page