I have had 3 c-sections. My last c-section was because I had had 2 c-sections. My local chapter of ICAN has not been able to help me. I am a chronic hypertensive who has controlled blood pressure on medication. This happened with my 2nd birth and my bp never went above normal once it was regulated on medicine. I have been labeled gestational diabetic, but my numbers are normal on diet alone. I don't know what to do. My ob that I had found locally is now saying he wants to section me at 38w. the DEM cannot legally practice here in IL. We have 2 CNM's that do homebirth, but they have to have the backing of an ob which they do not have. Any ideas?
It sounds like your OB was for a VBAC and has recently changed his mind? Your BP and glucose are controlled this pregnancy? Do you want to continue with OB care? Sorry so many questions, but what you do depends a lot on your comfort level and support. Have you had a conversation with your OB about VBAC? If you are absolutely sure that is what you want, then demand it. I say to be absolutely sure b/c fighting for a VBAC is difficult and you will need to be very motivated to achieve it. That came out wrong. I completely believe in your body's ability to birth, but when fighting the pressure of OBs, it can be difficult to stick to your guns while in labor. How does your hubby feel about VBAC? If you had to fight in the hospital, would he be able to do it? How do you feel about unassisted birth? How do you feel about canceling c-sections and avoiding calls from the OBs office and then showing up at the hospital pushing?
BP and blood sugar are controlled and normal. BP this morning was 115/82. So totally normal. I started on some calcium/magnesium supplements to help with that. My blood sugar has been great too and is diet controlled. I am not on medication or insulin. My ob was for the vbac and then changed his mind. I have not confronted him yet. Going to do that right now actually. LOL I would rather not have to fight the system to be honest. I want a nice calm birth without having to fight the hospital, fight the doctor, fight the nurses etc. But if that is what I have to do, then I will do it. Of course if there was a cause for concern I would reconsider. I obviously want my baby healthy first and foremost and I know things can change. I am willing to travel to another state if I have to.
I really hope everything works out with your OB. I totally understand not wanting to fight. I went out of state, 2.5 hour drive, to do a VBAC. My doctor was unavailable for my labor so I got the on call doc and she was very hostile, didn't come right out and say I shouldn't do a trial of labor, but was really putting the pressure on me to progress at a certain rate. Well, I didn't. I ended up with another c-section. I am usually a really strong, logical person, but in labor, I am so emotional and suggestable. Anyway, for me, b/c I thought I could fight and learned it is WAY harder than I thought, I will be doing a homebirth this next time. At least I hope so, if I can find a midwife willing to do a HBA2C.
Would you want a homebirth? I know that I am tired of fighting and just want to have a baby. But, I can't ignore the fact that I have a scarred uterus, so unassisted is out of my comfort zone. Would your current OB back a CNM, or does it have to be certain OBs? Are there lay midwives? I think if I really connected to a midwife and trusted her experience then the fact that she isn't certified wouldn't bother me.
I would consider a homebirth. If it were here it would have to be with a CNM and there aren't any CNM's with ob's that will back this. CNM's here have to have a backing physician. I have pretty much talked to every OB in town. I could try calling all the OB's in surrounding town too I suppose. I thought I had found a lay midwife, then some stuff happened here that I won't go into, so now I don't think so. I had not 100% decided on doing it anyway because the lay midwifes can't legally practice and while I have no issue with that personally I don't want to have a wonderful homebirth then have someone call CPS on me for doing something dangerous which some would say is neglect. etc. A women here in IL had her baby taken away for almost 7 months because she had a breech delivery at home. So... the climate here is kinda bad. I mean there is no guarentee that that would happen, but I just don't know if I am willing to chance it. I found a midwife that is 2.5 hours away in another state and I am meeting with her soon. Not sure how logistically that would work though.
I read about that case! I was totally shocked. I live in WY, and it was illegal for midwives, even certified, to attend homebirth until this last summer. Because we are such a rural state, though, homebirth happened all the time anyway. So, I don't think the homebirth climate in WY is as hostile as it seems to be in IL, but still the legal issue was such a pain.
We looked into homebirth out of state when we were preg with #2 b/c it was still illegal at that time. The midwifes had a house that people could stay in, come when you like, have the baby there. I really wanted it, but hubby was not on board with homebirth, blah. They also said people drove up when labor started and everyone made it in time. They had a lot of experience dealing with this very situation. Apparently, a lot of women left the state to have a homebirth with them.
I am assuming that will be the case with this midwife as well. Hope everything works out so you can just enjoy your pregnancy, KUP!!
Are there any MW's willing to put your name out on an email list? A MW in my state did that for me and I got a ton of emails from around the country.
I would strongly look into doing a homebirth, even it isn't in your own home, but it has to be something you, your hubby, and your MW feel comfortable with. It is very unlikely you are going to find a physician AND hospital that will take you. Besides, if you are in the hospital, they are going to take every precaution they can (i.e. continuous fetal monitoring, no food or beverages, IV's, etc.) and you have to ask yourself "Would I be comfortable in that situation?". I guess you have to ask yourself that for a homebirth too. Maybe a good compromise would be a birth center.
Anyway, it doesn't sound unreasonable to drive 2.5 hrs if you decide to go that route. How far along are you? If you're in the early to mid part of your pregnancy, you can really get some researching done and not get too anxious about it. I'm sure you'll find your answer somewhere.
I am 31 weeks right now. I thought I had a doctor that was on board, but he changed his tune. Plus I am a doula so I know how it is at the hosptial I would deliver at. I would love to be put on some kind fo list, but I have no idea how to do that.
You can ask if any local midwives would be willing to put your name and birth situation out on a list. I'm sure one of them has an email list compiled. Otherwise you can see if the regional ICAN coordinator for your area has any contacts. Also, you could see about posting for help in the "Finding your Tribe" forum on MDC.
It's too bad your doctor backed out, but it's unlikely you're going to find one that'll work for you.
Praying for you!
that is very nice, thank you so much!
How far are you willing to travel? I am also in IL (Springfield) and through ICAN I found an OB in St. Louis that will do a VBA3C. I am looking into having one myself and have an appointment set up with him. I am type 2 diabetic and he is aware of that as well as being on insulin. His name is Dr. Emmanuel Vlastos.
I have an appt with Dr. Forsetter in St. Louis next week. I am not sure what I am going to do though.
Maybe s/he will be wonderful and you won't have to worry anymore :) Hey, a girl can dream, right? It sounds like you are doing everything you can, so I just want to let you know that I am thinking of you and you never know what God has planned, everything could just fall into place.
Christy, if St. Louis is not far for you you should TOTALLY come to the ICAN conference 4/8-4/10! http://www.conference.ican-online.org/index.htm
SO many great women and hopefully you'll get some hope and advice.
I just can't go to the conference. I will be 37weeks pregnant. LOL I would love to go though.
37 weeks is not done and I bet *IF* you were to need someone there would catch.